What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs Lewis & Friends

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Please, please, please no more Brown-Taylor-Docker as the starting back rowers. People wonder why our forwards lack punch. That is why.

So, that's all I ask. Well, not rushing Simmons back in for Naiqama as well.

So just two things. I'll even put up with Kite in the team at the expense of Grant for the rest of the season.

maple_69

Bench
Clearly won't be bringing in any new faces to the first grade group at this stage unless forced. So I think Anderson and BMM and obviously Grant for other reasons won't be seen.

I'd say once Simmons and Wallace are back our team will look like this for the rest of the season.
Moylan, Mansour, Whare, Idris, Simmons, Soward, Wallace, Kite, Segeyaro, Mckendry, Manu, Taylor, Docker, Brown, Cartwright, Plum, Latimore

Not a side that can win a premiership IMO but certainly one that can get to the prelims I think and except for the Sharks and first Eels game we haven't dropped a game we should have won. I don't think we'll slip up against the Sharks and with a bit of consistency in the lineup and halves especially hopefully we don't fold like everyone expects us to.

Doomednow

Bench
Yeah expect Simmons will be straight back in. it seems to me that Cleary isn't worried about a premiership this year and is continuing to develop the team for a shot later. We are probably getting ahead of ourselves by demanding the changes we want at this stage in the grand plan.

We've already seen drastic improvements in the side since the last few years so if the trend continues we will be praising IC and Gus for years to come.

maple_69

Bench
I think its reasonable for them to be targeting 2nd or 3rd week of the finals as a successful season. We came 10th with a decimated bog average roster last year. This year we have a solid roster but lack the superstars to win the big games. Maybe 1 but not 3/4 in a row. Getting Moylan, Cartwright, Segeyaro etc some big game experience will be important to our long term success.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Yeah expect Simmons will be straight back in. it seems to me that Cleary isn't worried about a premiership this year and is continuing to develop the team for a shot later..

In that case, Simmons shouldn't get to go straight back in. Naiqama has been going well and I don't think Simmons is so much better that he deserves the starting spot by right.

soc123_au

Staff member
In that case, Simmons shouldn't get to go straight back in. Naiqama has been going well and I don't think Simmons is so much better that he deserves the starting spot by right.

I agree. I am a big Simmo fan, but Kev is getting better each week. He also has some recent big game experience playing in the WC & the finals last year.

Doomednow

Bench
I'm just saying I don't think IC is trying to win (the premiership). Obviously the fans want to but I really don't think the coach is aiming for that, and no matter how salty you get on internet forums it's not going to change it.

There are some seemingly obvious changes that need to be made but IC is taking his time doing it, so either he knows better than us about these changes (definitely) or he's playing a long game with these decisions (probably). Both of those are perfectly acceptable, really.

Ftr I don't think Simmo should come back in either, but I expect he will. I don't think a lot of decisions are correct but I don't claim to be a football genius either.

Karnivayne

Juniors
1. Matt MOYLAN, 2. Dallin WATENE ZELEZNIAK, 3. Dean WHARE, 4. Jamal IDRIS, 5. Kevin NAIQAMA, 6. Jamie SOWARD, 7. Peter WALLACE (c), 8. Nigel PLUM, 9. James SEGEYARO, 10. Brent KITE, 11. Bryce CARTWRIGHT, 12. Isaah YEO,13. Elijah TAYLOR,

INTERCHANGE: 14. Lewis BROWN, 15. Jeremy LATIMORE, 16. Adam DOCKER, 17. Sam McKENDRY, 23. Sika MANU

mxlegend99

Referee
Kevs first couple of games were average and if he had stayed at that level, Simmons would deserve to come straight back in. But he has improved considerably and is playing as good or better then Simmons before injured. He's younger and has more potential. We should stick with him.

mxlegend99

Referee
Manu dropped and Docker is kept? What the hell does Cleary have against blokes with a bit of size? Yeo, Cartright and Docker all on at once would leave us to get absolutely slaughtered.

Sharks are going to love playing against that forward pack.

maple_69

Bench
Couple of good little changes there. Surely Mansour to be a late inclusion. Mckendry and Docker needed a kick up the ass. Wonder who drops off the bench.

martielang

Bench
Are Yeo and Cartwright that small? Manu isn't huge himself, he's just overweight.

Could we see Idris and Yeo swapping positions? Not that there is a huge difference between each, but maybe this will give Idris a bit more freedom.

Karnivayne

Juniors
Simmons is one of the most unappreciated players in the squad, perfect under the high ball, always the first to get back for a hit up to help the forwards, covers the wing well and compliments Whare.

Whilst i think Kev is ok as a fill in Simmons would walk straight back into his wing spot.

mxlegend99

Referee
It had better be Docker that drops from the bench. Stats from the last game:

Metres Gained:
Brown - 11 runs for 121m
Latimore - 13 runs for 121m
Manu - 12 runs for 99m
McKendry - 11 runs for 94m
Taylor - 7 runs for 77m
Yeo - 8 runs for 75m
Kite - 8 runs for 75m
Plum - 8 runs for 68m
Docker - 5 runs for 42m (seriously??)

Tackles:
Taylor - 57 tackles, 2 missed
Plum - 30 tackles, 0 missed
Latimore - 34 tackles, 4 missed
Brown - 31 tackles, 2 missed
Kite - 27 tackles, 1 missed
Yeo - 24 tackles, 1 missed
Manu - 23 tackles, 1 missed
McKendry - 24 tackles, 3 missed
Docker - 24 tackles, 3 missed

Offloads:
Yeo - 2
Taylor - 1
Manu - 1
Latimore - 1
McKendry - 1
Kite - 0
Brown - 0
Plum - 0
Docker - 0

Tackle Breaks:
Yeo - 3
Taylor - 2
Brown - 1
Manu - 1
Latimore - 0
Plum - 0
Kite - 0
McKendry - 0
Docker - 0

So what is it that keeps Docker in the team? Is it making the least metres of any forward in our team? Having the worst tackle rate of any player in our team? His zero tackle breaks, zero offloads and just being pretty much ineffective in every single area.

He CAN hit hard. But it doesn't work out most of the time. He misses more tackles then most our forwards, and some of his hit attempts are also ineffective. Yet he keeps his spot in the team ahead of Manu who was more effective in metres gained, tackles (tackles made vs missed), offloads, tackle breaks and most importantly he has size which our pack is sorely lacking.

betcats

Referee
Kevs first couple of games were average and if he had stayed at that level, Simmons would deserve to come straight back in. But he has improved considerably and is playing as good or better then Simmons before injured. He's younger and has more potential. We should stick with him.

Yeah Kev has looked good, is Simmons definitely due back?

Anyway good to see Wallace back, will be interesting to see how the backrow and bench look come kick off..

Doomednow

Bench
I like Simmo - good finisher, safe hands and a good combination with Whare, but I like a bit of speed in the back line and think we should be getting the younger guys game experience.

martielang

Bench
Simmons is one of the most unappreciated players in the squad, perfect under the high ball, always the first to get back for a hit up to help the forwards, covers the wing well and compliments Whare.

Whilst i think Kev is ok as a fill in Simmons would walk straight back into his wing spot.

Agree 100%.

.... but according to a few on here, no matter how good you are at everything else, if you don't run 100m in 11 seconds, you're a reserve grader winger at best.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Simmons is one of the most unappreciated players in the squad, perfect under the high ball, always the first to get back for a hit up to help the forwards, covers the wing well and compliments Whare..

Naiqama is probably not as good under the high ball, but he does everything else there AND is faster AND is harder to tackle. Naiqama for me.