What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. North Queensland Cowboys

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. North Queensland Cowboys
Suncorp Stadium, Thursday 24 September 2020
Kick Off 7:50pm

TL-BRI20a.png

1. Darius Boyd 2. Xavier Coates 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Richard Kennar 6. Kotoni Staggs 7. Tom Dearden 8. Joe Ofahengaue 9. Issac Luke 10. Payne Haas 11. Jordan Riki 12. Alex Glenn 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Cory Paix 15. Ben Te'o 16. Corey Oates 17. Jamil Hopoate

Reserves: 18. Rhys Kennedy 19. Ethan Bullemor 20. Sean O'Sullivan 21. Brodie Croft

TL-NQL20a.png

1. Valentine Holmes 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Murray Taulagi 4. Daejarn Asi 5. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 6. Scott Drinkwater 7. Jake Clifford 8. Josh McGuire 9. Reuben Cotter 10. Jordan McLean 11. Gavin Cooper 12. Mitchell Dunn 13. Jason Taumalolo

Interchange:
14. John Asiata 15. Tom Gilbert 16. Corey Jensen 17. Francis Molo

Reserves: 18. Emry Pere 19. Jake Granville 20. Ben Condon 21. Justin O'Neill

Big Pete

Referee
Staggs at 6 is an exciting selection for the Broncos. I don't see it as his long term position, but he is a match winner in that position and he'll be able to get his hands on the footy more which is only a good thing. The Broncos don't play expansive footy, so having another dynamic runner should compliment the team better.

I actually think it's one of the better line-ups they've named in weeks. They'll still be up against it to avoid the wooden spoon since they're clearly the worst team of the Covid return so hopefully they make a game of it.

My concern heading into the game is the changes to set restarts. If the referee is more likely to blow a set restart, we could see one team get a roll on early while the other has to rely on an unforced error to have any semblence of a chance. I'm hoping at the very least we'll see a whole hearted Broncos/Cowboys game, but there's certainly that fear it could be blown away early with a few set restarts.

Only two more days and then we can move on from the season. Hopefully the boys find some relief in that and lay it all on the line.

DeeJ

Bench
Isn't it amazing that all the boom boys have fallen by the wayside but Boyd is still there. Who will you blame next year when they are still on the bottom.

I'll just be happy not to watch these efforts ever again.

Big Pete

Referee
1-17 Post Covid.

At least the season is over. The Broncos finish last for the first time in their history in a game that reflected their season really. Started strong, scored a few soft tries, lost their main strike weapon after 10 minutes and struggled from that point on.

Still at 16-all it was anyone's ball game. The Cows weren't playing well themselves, then Atkins blows a phantom set restart that was no where near consistent and off that Drinkwater takes the odds to it to effectively win the game for the Cows. Heads went down and it was clear the Broncos had given up the ghost.

I didn't think Gentle handled Staggs' departure well at all. I could understand going with Arthars at 6 to begin with, but it was clear that he wasn't getting the job done. Paix should have been given the opportunity with Oates coming off after he was clearly off the boil.

In some brighter news, the Broncos are set to announce their new coach in the coming days so at least they can start going in some direction.

As fans we've been fortunate to be a part of some wonderful moments, but that is easily the worst season any team has put together since Wests in 1999. Not even Newcastle in 2016 were this consistently terrible. For me it's not a big deal, sure it's effectively ruined one form of escapism but at the end of the day I didn't like the direction the club was headed under Seibs and I'm glad they're going to go a different path (seemingly). I feel for the younger fans who don't know any better and they've effectively been demoralised over the past few years. I tend to think of how I would have handled this when I was younger and I wouldn't be anywhere near as passionate as I am about the sport if it wasn't for players like Darren Lockyer, Gorden Tallis, Wendell Sailor, Shane Webcke, Petero Civoniceiva, Shaun Berrigan etc. to watch. I was never a huge fan of the Broncos style post 1998 but always had an admiration for the players.

Nerd

Bench
The end of this season couldn't come quick enough for me. Another typical game for us, ok start then an early major injury to our best player followed by us making schoolboy type errors gifting the opposition field position and opportunities.

Surely the new coach noticed that Oates in not an NRL standard winger anymore and either moves him to a bench 2nd rower at best or drops him completely. Dearden is coming along ok for a 19 year old and hopefully this season has hardened him up a bit. Great ball around the corner to put Oates in as well.

Hopoate also should be on the way back to QLD Cup, he tries hard but seems to have bad hands and makes way too many basic errors.

Carrigan again got penalised for being too slow in the ruck and while he takes quite a few of the hit ups doesn't ever look like breaking the line. He seems to be a willing defender but needs to get an offload or something in his game.

Looking forward to next year when hopefully we can string a few wins together.