What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Titans Discussion + Voting

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Watching the Eagles and the Bulldogs, if we walk into a game against them with the same attitude as we did tonight, we will get belted.

hellteam

First Grade
Probably the worst I have seen the Broncos play for a few years. Gillett had a go, good to see him getting back to form. How much better was the manly dogs game, we will get towelled up by them in a few weeks.

I can see us scraping into the finals in 7-8th place...

Pig Mouth

Juniors
I haven't commented on the refs so far but I must say they made some shocker calls both ways tonight. They may as well have allowed the players to ref themselves.

Shocking decision to award that 8 point try. What a joke. Then towards the end of the game Teo gets hit in the head by Bailey while scoring a try and it's all good. If only we could go back in time, I wish Hoffman smashed the tip of his boot right into that bald knuckleheads face, instead of tapping him with his hand.

Nonetheless the Broncos played to a shit standard tonight.

Halves were piss poor

Josh Hoffman seems to be scared to run the ball hard ever since Greg Inglis pumped him in the Rabbitohs game. That seemed to knock all confidence out of Hoffman.

And I don't know why Civo was malingering in the shed for so long. They really needed him out there and scored when he finally returned but it was all too late.

The Broncos need a reshuffle desperately. Or I fear for this season.

broncos70

Juniors
Been saying it for a while now but I cop it for being such a "negative" supporter because I'm so critical...What do they do at training? fitness and defence only? Hunt is so much quicker between the ears than Norman and Wallace the idiots. I always wanted hunt> norman but ah well. Reflects Griffins decision, and it's a bad decision.

The Broncos weekly training plan.

Training session:
Monday:5 one out hit ups and then a kick at the end.
Tuesday: everyone watch Hodges take from dummy half
wednesday: McCullough practices his dummies
thursday: everyone watches Josh Hoffman get rehab
Friday: Corey Norman and Peter Wallace practice their kicks by aiming at the targets. The targets are wingers. Someone should probably tell them they shouldn't be going straight for that target.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
I'm glad we didn't get the win tonight because we sure as hell didn't deserve it! Inept below basics and plain uninspired. WTF'd game!!! Shocking match against a team who tried to play as bad as us but couldn't manufacture as many forward passes.

Titans came out lively while we looked sluggish and half paced at best. Still clueless 20 out from an opposition try line with only the hail mary kick option on show. Terrible match especially after seeing the first game - the bulldogs and eagles play - we had nothin' and can expect nothin' against any tougher sides. Hoffman didn't cost us the game - we were never in it. Stop picking on individual players and realize the whole team has to gel. Wallace plays well only with good players around him unfortunately and is only a fraction better than Norman and that's pretty bad. Truthfully i'd like to scrap the halves and try some new blood. Piss poor with no excuses and i'm as clueles as the f*****g broncos at the moment? And do our forwards actually know how to tackle around the legs and stop a players momentum?

gUt

Coach
I'm pretty shocked at the venom towards our halves. Yeah they've had a bad period but when we were winning games it was because Wallace was controlling the play and Norman was putting tries on. Ben Hunt has the worst execution of the 3 of them. I think they'll come good. The boys will be f**king filthy losing to the Titans and they'll take it out on the Eels next week.

beads6

First Grade
I'd say 2012 is f**ked now. On top of the lack of any function in attack we are now starting to get smashed by injuries. It'll be tough to even make the finals the way we are playing.

jakepearce94

Juniors
That would have to be the most frustrating game of rugby league i've ever seen. The boys just didn't seem to be interested until the last 30 seconds when norman decided to start directing the troops.
The squad is lacking direction, someone ordering the troops around. What is sam thaiday doing? he's not captain material for me. Would you have ever seen Darren Lockyer running in as third man? With even more injuries hitting the squad now with Hodges likely to miss 2-3 weeks, Parker possibly out for 2 weeks max, and also Hoffman and Te'o to likely get suspended because of the bias nsw judicary, we are in a lot of trouble. jack reed hopefully will be back this week though. if all those injuries and suspensions fall into place this is how i would line them up if i was griffin:
1. Gerard Beale
2.Lachlan Maranta
3.Jack Reed
4.Aaron Whitchurch
5.Nat Barnes
6.Corey Norman
7.Peter Wallace
8.Josh McGuire
9.Andrew McCullough
10.Ben Hannant
11.Sam Thaiday
12.Alex Glenn
13.Matt Gillett
14.Petero Civoniceva
15.Mitchell Dodds
16.Ben Hunt
17.Jarrod Wallace

Nerd

Bench
That would have to be the most frustrating game of rugby league i've ever seen. The boys just didn't seem to be interested until the last 30 seconds when norman decided to start directing the troops.
The squad is lacking direction, someone ordering the troops around. What is sam thaiday doing? he's not captain material for me. Would you have ever seen Darren Lockyer running in as third man? With even more injuries hitting the squad now with Hodges likely to miss 2-3 weeks, Parker possibly out for 2 weeks max, and also Hoffman and Te'o to likely get suspended because of the bias nsw judicary, we are in a lot of trouble. jack reed hopefully will be back this week though. if all those injuries and suspensions fall into place this is how i would line them up if i was griffin:
1. Gerard Beale
2.Lachlan Maranta
3.Jack Reed
4.Aaron Whitchurch
5.Nat Barnes
6.Corey Norman
7.Peter Wallace
8.Josh McGuire
9.Andrew McCullough
10.Ben Hannant
11.Sam Thaiday
12.Alex Glenn
13.Matt Gillett
14.Petero Civoniceva
15.Mitchell Dodds
16.Ben Hunt
17.Jarrod Wallace
Swap Wallace for Hunt and I'm happy with that lineup.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah I'm not going to let this game ruin the weekend. Bronx were definitely flat, but it's not like we didn't have any opportunities to put 24 pts on the totz.

Dogs v manly was a real eye opener on the level of intensity and skill the other teams have over us. I honestly believe once Norman learns which kicks to make at what time and stops arm grabbing he has what it takes to be a top 5'8.. Wal on the other hand just isn't fast enough and I'm disappointed in how little you see teammates run off him. Maybe it's all those hospo passes...

As I said earlier: we're just not premier material this year and I just want to see qaulity player development and the boys have a good dig at the finals.. Tonight was a backwards step. (It happens)

danielb

Juniors
The penalty try was justified but!...If Hoffman gets suspended for 5 weeks for that its ridiculous, coming from a knights fan who has no biased views I think that he was trying to punch the ball out, if we watch in slow mo yes it looks bad but a players instinct is to try to punch the ball out or hold it up, which is more important than knocking a blokes head off, if you look at the replay and see that his fist ends up where the ball would be if it was tucked under the arm.
A player that is falling over the try line, every time he will not extend his arm! he will tuck it under his wing and try to prevent it being punched out! which Luke Bailey didn't he reached out and didn't protect the ball 100%, its not like he was 4 metres out and reaching to just make it he was always comfortably going to make it over, if it happened in the field not on the line it would be to knock his melon off IMO, thoughts?

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
If it was intentional he should be rubbed out for rest of year. However I agree that it wasn't intentional. He'll still get 1 or 2 weeks though as they don't like any contact with the head, accidental or not.

The game was a little too depressing for me to comment on in great detail again (see dumping Wallace thread). The only positive for mine was Gillett.

3. Gillett
2. Teo
1. Hannant

Big Pete

Referee
3. Ben Hannant
2. Matt Gillett
1. Gerard Beale

Doubt I'll watch a replay of that. Will go back and watch the Warriors so I can make an accurate vote though.

Behold

Juniors
3. Ben Hunt
2. Matt Gillet
1. Corey Park

Why Hunt? because we were getting dominated up the middle until he came on. His defence has improved significantly this year might not be making as many tackles as McCoullough but at least he is getting the player on the ground unlike Macca and McGuire who constantly hold the opposition up and let them walk metres. Gillett was good not great but good and Parker was Parker. Think its time to do something about our halves and I think potentially but probably not this year maybe in trials next year - See a Spine of 9. Baptiste (I really like this guy and think he could be superb for the Broncs) 7. Hunt 6. McCollough and 1. Norman. Hoffman I think could become a really decent centre, and Reed will be a backrower sooner rather than later. I don't like Thaiday as captain and I think Glenn should be captain next year, I don't think Thaiday has the leadership skills for the job, its very well saying he leads by example but this year he hasn't been setting a good example. Thaiday is never amping the boys up, he is never laying down the law to them he was a liability in defence on the weekend and next year he will probably join the front row rotation.

I think Hoffman might get a week for his incident and Te'o will probably get 2-3 but who knows he might get 10 can never trust the judiciary. So we might see Norman at fullback this week and Hunt at 6. If Parker, Te'o, Hoffman and Hodges are out wouldn't mind seeing 1. Norman 2. Maranta 3. Beale 4. Glenn 5. Whitchurch 6. Hunt 7. Wallace 8. Hannant 9. Macca 10. Civ 11. Gillett 12. Thaiday 13. McGuire 14. Baptiste 15. Dodds 16. Lui 17. Wallace/Gibb

gUt

Coach
Gillett's stats were pretty shizen for someone who played 80 mins:

11 runs, 101 mtrs
16 tackles
5 tackle brks
5 offloads
2 errors

Well I guess they're pretty good. I'm a bit suspicious of his tackle count there but I guess players don't like running at his shoulder too much.