What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21-26 Schedule

CC_Roosters

First Grade
And the least fan friendly league in sport continues with its silly ways.

How did they ever think 20k crowd average was acheivable with the circumstances this tv deal creates. I.e a third of the season compromised by origin, two thirds of games at night, mnf every week and the latest craze of Thursday night football 6 times a season

TheFrog

Coach
Home Games on Monday Night (Sunday Night Round 26)

Penrith 5
Cronulla, Melbourne, Gold Coast, NQ, Wests Tigers, Souths, Canberra, SGI all 2
Bulldogs, Parramatta, Manly, Newcastle, Roosters all 1
Broncos, Warriors 0 (both these teams play Monday night games at Penrith in the coming weeks)

All 4 of the Panthers remaining games at Penrith are Monday night or Sunday night (Round 26). We also have one home game against the Sharks on a Saturday afternoon at Bathurst.

Not one to whinge, but this is not fair!!

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I don't understand the following:

Why have:

Round 23: Titans vs. Sea Eagles on FTA on the Sunday, when you could have Tigers vs. Roosters @ Leichhardt Oval.

Round 24: Why have Dragons vs Titans on FTA on the Sunday, when you could have Warriors vs Roosters?

Round 26: Why have Titans Vs Bulldogs FTA on the Sunday, when you could have Panthers vs. Warriors?

f**king ridiculous! Titans are not a team that I and I'm sure many other League fans want to see on their Sunday afternoon. Who gives a shit about the fact that the ratings would be better because a team from Queensland is playing. I thought the NRL were trying to care more about their fans?

_Johnsy

Referee
I heard the broncos last four games are on Thursday nights? If so this is bullshit, that means our last two home games are on Thursday nights, I f**king hate going to the games on Thursdays when you still have to work the next day, why do they have the last four games on Thursdays instead of two friday night games?

Round 21 :: August 1, 2, 3, 4
Friday 1 August
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos @ Brookvale Oval, 7:45pm NINE QLD

Round 22 :: August 8, 9, 10, 11
Friday 8 August
Brisbane Broncos v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs @ Suncorp Stadium, 7:45pm NINE QLD

Round 23 :: August 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Thursday 14 August
South Sydney Rabbitohs v Brisbane Broncos @ ANZ Stadium, 7:45pm NINE

Round 24 :: August 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Saturday 23 August
Brisbane Broncos v Newcastle Knights @ Suncorp Stadium, 5:30pm FOX

Round 25 :: August 28, 29, 30, 31, September 1
Friday 29 August
Brisbane Broncos v St George Illawarra Dragons @ Suncorp Stadium, 7:45pm NINE

Round 26 :: September 4, 5, 6, 7
Friday 5 September
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos @ AAMI Park, 7:45pm NINE

Full 2014 draw (plus crowds, results & match thread links): http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=429573

Waaaaaaaaaa pharking Waaaaaaaaa, one Thursday night game and it's in Sydney. What a shock a Broncs fan whinging when there is absolutely no need.

ek999

First Grade

Why have:

Round 23: Titans vs. Sea Eagles on FTA on the Sunday, when you could have Tigers vs. Roosters @ Leichhardt Oval.

Round 24: Why have Dragons vs Titans on FTA on the Sunday, when you could have Warriors vs Roosters?

Round 26: Why have Titans Vs Bulldogs FTA on the Sunday, when you could have Panthers vs. Warriors?

f**king ridiculous! Titans are not a team that I and I'm sure many other League fans want to see on their Sunday afternoon. Who gives a shit about the fact that the ratings would be better because a team from Queensland is playing. I thought the NRL were trying to care more about their fans?

The answer to every one of those is because Fox would have picked those games as picks 3 or 4 leaving 9 to pick the ones they did at 5

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Home Games on Monday Night (Sunday Night Round 26)

Penrith 5
Cronulla, Melbourne, Gold Coast, NQ, Wests Tigers, Souths, Canberra, SGI all 2
Bulldogs, Parramatta, Manly, Newcastle, Roosters all 1
Broncos, Warriors 0 (both these teams play Monday night games at Penrith in the coming weeks)

All 4 of the Panthers remaining games at Penrith are Monday night or Sunday night (Round 26). We also have one home game against the Sharks on a Saturday afternoon at Bathurst.

Not one to whinge, but this is not fair!!

When it is layed out like that it shows the absolute disgrace the draw is and the inequality that is rampant in its creation

Jamberoo

Juniors
Thursday nights is probably in response to the AFL announcing last week that they will scrap Monday and Sunday nights and move to more Thursday matches.
Better than Monday, and good for TV (especially if we get it live in Melbourne), but horrible for crowds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Why have:

First up - R23 was forced - Tigers/Roosters was originally Monday at ANZ but had to move because Tigers are scheduled for Thursday following v Bulldogs. Means they had to play Saturday.

R24 - Dragons (NSW - high rating side) v Titans (QLD side) would be a choice well ahead of Warriors (NZ) v Roosters (NSW).

R26 - same again. Warriors don't rate on FTA compared to other teams.

Canard

Immortal
Thursday nights is probably in response to the AFL announcing last week that they will scrap Monday and Sunday nights and move to more Thursday matches.
Better than Monday, and good for TV (especially if we get it live in Melbourne), but horrible for crowds.

Except League had Thursday nights before the AFL, but good on you Buzz for posting on here.

3AW would be proud.

TheFrog

Coach
R26 - same again. Warriors don't rate on FTA compared to other teams.

And the Titans do? What about followers of the sport who would like to watch a quality match between two likely top 8 sides?

To be honest, the Penrith game should also be 3pm, regardless of which game gets televised where. It would certainly get a better crowd in that timeslot and it avoids the situation of teams knowing how many they need to win by, etc.

What it amounts to, is that it's OK for clubs to lose money through appalling scheduling of games, but its not OK for TV interests to lose ratings. This is the agreement the NRL has entered into for its few pieces of silver.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Titans are a Queensland team, they have Channel 9 in Queensland.

Ch9 gains very little benefit putting the Warriors on by comparison to any QLD team.

FWIW I think Sunday night in the last night is stupid and probably would agree that PEN v WAR should be 3pm but the networks obviously think differently.

Also worth noting Dogs are always high rating.

TheFrog

Coach
FWIW I think Sunday night in the last night is stupid and probably would agree that PEN v WAR should be 3pm but the networks obviously think differently.

Also worth noting Dogs are always high rating.

If the TV deal means that poor games are put to FTA ahead of good games (now I could be wrong here and the Titans could have a miraculous run, but at this point in time they have lost 6 straight and look more like bottom 4 than top 8), and clubs have to lose thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars because of ridiculous game times, then I think it is time the whole TV deal matter were looked at from the perspective of the game, its audience and the organisations who risk money to put on the show. In short, the NRL's business model sucks horribly.

I think Panthers-Warriors at 3pm Sunday at Penrith draws 16,000 the way both sides are going. At 6.30pm lucky to get 10,000.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade

The number of Thursday nights was written into the current tv rights contract nearly 2 years agonso its nought to do with the afl

And credit to the afl they seen that a time slot wasn't popular with fans at the gate and took action. We only seem to get worse and worse treatment as fans of the nrl. First regular mondays, then Sunday night and Thursday night for a large part of the season! Not to mention 5/8 games and sometimes 6/8 games are played at night in the nrl in a winter competition!

Latest posts