What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 vs. Dragons Discussion + Voting

AuDragon

Juniors
He won't get anything for it, was just a penalty really.
Even if he's charged, it won't be more than a grade 1, and since he doesn't have any judiciary history that I know of, he will be able to play if he doesn't fight it.

Dazzat

First Grade
Agree that the missed referee calls on the Falou obstructions was a debacle. Surely they know most teams are attempting to do this. And did Hornby actually ask the ref about being taken out by Falou ...!?

3. Hoffman ... outstanding in attack and defence.
2. Tronc ... did the hard yards, some good off-loads, and just keeps running (backed up in the Lockyer break)
1. Gillett ... looked dangerous most of the game. He looked to play the full 80 today.

beads6

First Grade
Agree that the missed referee calls on the Falou obstructions was a debacle. Surely they know most teams are attempting to do this. And did Hornby actually ask the ref about being taken out by Falou ...!?

3. Hoffman ... outstanding in attack and defence.
2. Tronc ... did the hard yards, some good off-loads, and just keeps running (backed up in the Lockyer break)
1. Gillett ... looked dangerous most of the game. He looked to play the full 80 today.

I think that was Gilletts best game for the club. I am pretty sure he was on for the 80. I think all our backrowers played 80 which was is great.

AuDragon

Juniors
3- Hoffman
2- Gillett
1- Folau

Can't believe Sammy and Parker are missing out... :-s

Although they are not at the pinnacle of attacking footy, I think the Dragons did ask plenty of questions today and even when they broke our line, our scramble defence was very good, especially thanks to our backline! The attacking flair will come back with the talent we have, even more so if Hodgo does come back against the Eels and gets a few games under his belt before the finals.

Macca has improved a bit, but for someone his size it’s scary how slow he is, but then again, Smith is not the fastest either. His mistakes will get ironed out with time hopefully…
Hunt is losing terrain to Macca, his second poor game in a row.
Wallace improved a lot from a very poor 1st half and looks indeed like he’s trying too hard. He needs to regain confidence and let it flow naturally.
Although Locky didn’t have his best game, I’m really impressed with his running game and good kicking. He really seems to have that second breath!

All the forwards did a good job in defence, but Kenny was again nullified in attack. He doesn’t have the second phase play or the “wrap around” defence that justifies Tronc’s starting spot.
Dodds was more damaging going forward today, very good effort. Anderson and McGuire had great go forward and did a solid job defending.

Hoffman was magic, Yow Yeh solid, Folau did a fantastic job in both attack and defense, Glenn absolutely nullified Gasnier and belted anyone else coming his way and Winter improved dramatically from last week.

Gillett was really good, put on some fantastic hits and didn’t attempt the impossible offload. He must have been warned about it, because he wasn’t as threatening as usual. He’s still young and I’m sure he will eventually find a balance between holding on to the ball or go for that second phase play.

Thaiday and Parker are so consistently good, that you sometimes fail to notice how important they are.

Damm, this young team with another year, Hodgo and Inglis hopefully replacing Folau, will be something to watch!

Hornby was absolutely pathetic today, whining continuously to the refs about absolutely everything, while taking Folau out of the play irregularly several times, like he tried to do when he whinged about his second try!

What happened to Soward’s little dance? Was he coughing too much to do it? :badgrin:

Last but not least: Gordy, you are now officially a Broncos legend and deservedly so! (That video they showed of him on the ground was really cool btw)

renouf

Juniors
Our forwards are a worry, I just hope Henjak wakes up before the finals. We need to give Setu and Sims a run at some stage. Kenny/McGuire/Dodds were all average again.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
AuDragon completely agree with your points

3. Hoffman
2. Gillette
1. Folau

Thank goodness for Folau's try scoring ability although he could have put Yow Yeh away for the first.

Two massive positives to take out of this season even if we do miss the 8 (although we will make it imo), Gillette and Hoffman! Unlucky for Parker and Thaiday to miss out on points.

Not sure all this talk about Winterstein improving? He was absolutely horrible again and its getting to the stage where he is on the verge of costing us games. That dropped ball was almost a turning point in the game if the Dragons attack wasn't so off. And that little chip kick was ridiculous, had two guys running up on the inside and it wasn't even the last. He's lucky Kemp isn't fit imo. The kid obviously has talent but its not working out for him at the moment. He did take his bombs today but he certainly doesn't look comfortable...

Also, Macca, what the hell he passed the ball straight into the ground forward... First grade hookers just don't make mistakes like that. I always feel more comfortable in attack when Hunt is on, he gives early ball to his runners which I feel Macca doesn't get done. Macca needs to learn when to run from dummy half and when its better just to give quick ball to the runners who have momentum.

Wallace just seems to give away penalties and not offer much in attack... Although some of his bombs were quite good.

The reffing was atrocious for both sides...

Country Bronco

Juniors
3 Folau. Tryscoring machine.
2 Hoffman. Some really good kick returns and defence.
1 Anderson. Surprise but I admired his effort today in attack and defence.

Unlucky Thaiday, Parker and Gillett. Also Dodds who pulled off some strong tackles yet again. It was a good team performance and worthy of a semi final comparison. Yes I did cheer my lungs out and as a reward got to meet the man, Gillett after the game. He's looking forward to playing some finals football. Will cherish that moment for awhile. :cool:

jdbronco

Juniors
3 Folau
2 Hoffman
1 Gillett

A great win today and it will really boost our confidence coming into the home straight. The young guys did a great job.

Ill have to agree with GoTheBroncos and say i feel more confortable with Hunt on. Macca holds the ball too long and what was with the kick on the second tackle. Patience my friend.

As for the refs. It will be a disgrace is a finals game is won or lost by their atrocious referring. They definately need to pick their act up. So many forward passes went unnoticed today. Its a joke.

Congrats to Gordon Tallis for making the broncos hall of fame. A great player and a top bloke. Well deserved.

johns_reds

First Grade
Was a very tense game, i couldn't sit on my couch properly all game!

Would have to say the team played well in defense and it was a good turn around from last weeks match.

3 Hoffman
2 Falou
1 Gillett

Pierced Soul

First Grade
3 The Hoff
2 folau
1 parker

but really, what a f**king boring game. i know you dont want to make 20 mistakes but not taking any chances doesnt help either

MightyBronco

Juniors
Our forwards are a worry, I just hope Henjak wakes up before the finals. We need to give Setu and Sims a run at some stage. Kenny/McGuire/Dodds were all average again.

Thats pretty spot on. If we are to win the comp, we need Sims and Setu playing ballistic.

And good old Tronc, i've been a fan ever since i saw the giant playing for the Dolphins.

AuDragon

Juniors
Once you put Setu in all our defensive failings will come back.
That's something that worries me also, but Kenny really isn't performing, so I'd bring Sims or Setu in for him to add some grunt and aggressiveness to the front row.
McGuire enthousiasm and runs take us forward, while Dodds defence is absolutely massive, they thouroughly deserve their spot in the 17.

Lycon79

Juniors
A good game in defence but the attack was a little one dimensional IMO Hopefully they work on a little more than " kick it to Izzy" at training. I think the Dragqueens really miss Weymans go forward.

3. Hoffman
2. Folau
1. Tronc
1. Gillett