What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 - Eels vs Rabbitohs: Friday 12th August 7:55pm @CommBank Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Been a great week for us but time to switch our focus as we look towards a bumper clash against the Eels in Round 22 this Friday night. JD talked about levels in his press conference on Saturday and this week is about going through the gears and stepping it up a level in all areas of our game. We do have a tough run home, playing all Premiership and Finals contenders which starts this week, so intensity levels need to rise all across the park. No doubt about it that this is an absolute blockbuster, a huge game.

Parra are one of those Premiership contenders I was talking about. Well, I believe they are anyway. I know they can be a bit up and down over the course of the Season, but I just feel that they too are starting to go through those gears and crank it up. They've shown where they're at in the past couple of weeks, beating Penrith and then Manly so make no mistake, this game on Friday is going to be a huge challenge. Yes, we've had their measure in recent meetings but that means absolutely nothing this week. They'll be primed for a huge game and it's gonna be extremely tough this time around. I know they're missing their halfback which is a huge loss but there's still stars right across the park for the Eels. Gutherson, Sivo, Brown, Paulo, Mahoney, Lane, Matterson, Papali'i; The list just goes on and on. So much strike power that on their day, can beat anyone so we're really up against it this week. I think now more than ever, the key to getting the two points here is going to be the forward battle. Our pack have been going so well through the middle lately and that must continue against one of the best sets of forwards in the game. If we can at the very least hold our own there, or even get on top of them, then the game is there for the taking.

For us, as I keep banging on about, we must lift. We have been going really, really well lately and have passed tests against some of the big sides in recent weeks but now is the time we really need to start going to that next level. JD said it himself that at this time of year, some teams will do that, while some will drop off. We don't want to be one of those teams that drop off. I genuinely believe that this team can go on and do anything in this competition and this week is another big chance to show that against a Premiership contender. Are the boys up for it? Well, they decide that themselves. It's a big challenge, especially at their home ground, but it's a challenge Ii hope they're up for. We have a lot of improvement in our game, and I want to see signs of that improvement on Friday night. Cut the crap out that can sometimes sneak in because we can't give Parra an inch, complete your sets and this will be a big test for our defence this game. We're once again going to find out where we're really at.

So, step it up a gear lads and let's go and get it this week! Big challenge but our destiny is in our own hands. We can do this!!

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 22 against the Eels,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Paulo
4. Tass
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Nicholls
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Nikorima/Taaffe
15. Moale
16. Burgess
17. Suluka-Fifita

Explains itself really.

I'd like Nicholls to start because I think DSF provides more punch off the bench. I'm not saying Nicho doesn't provide punch but he's more of the 'do your job' type forward. With Havili most likely missing this game due to injury I feel that we need more than that off the pine. Some real aggression against a top shelf Parra pack and I think DSF provides that more than Nicho. Nicho will do a great job starting as always.

Hoping Tom is good to go, we certainly need him to be with Havili most likely out. Also hoping Kodi is good to go as I'd prefer him over Taaffe at this time of year due to experience.

Man, I really wish Stretch was back for this game but it what it is. Hopefully Paulo and Thompson can do a job. Massive ask up against Sivo but they can do it!!

This is how I see it, thoughts?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Campbell was in a rehab vest and trained with the reserves. I don't think he will be playing on the weekend.

Lachlan didn't train, in a back brace. Dean Hawkins took on the role of number 7 in the main team.

John Sutton went around with the reserves, showed potential.....

Kodi did some sprints with Tom....neither playing as has already been confirmed.

Training report

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 22 Against Eels: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/08/09/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-22-against-eels/

Yewww pretty happy with that line up! The one surprise in there with the inclusion of Sele but the rest is named almost as expected. Hame is a huge in for our pack, a massive in! I am surprised to see him named to start ahead of Nicho though since he's had such a long layoff. That may change before kick off. I'm also a little surprised to see Moale ahead of DSF. While I love Moale, in a big game, at this stage of their careers, I thought they would have gone with Daniel. Again, that could change.

A shame to see Burgess and Graham still out until next week but it is what it is.

There's also some talk Lachie is in doubt, but I guess if he's named then that's a good sign. Hopefully he's sweet.

But yea, happy with the side for a huge clash! Friday night can't come quick enough!!

handyman2190

Bench
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 22 Against Eels: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/08/09/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-22-against-eels/

Yewww pretty happy with that line up! The one surprise in there with the inclusion of Sele but the rest is named almost as expected. Hame is a huge in for our pack, a massive in! I am surprised to see him named to start ahead of Nicho though since he's had such a long layoff. That may change before kick off. I'm also a little surprised to see Moale ahead of DSF. While I love Moale, in a big game, at this stage of their careers, I thought they would have gone with Daniel. Again, that could change.

A shame to see Burgess and Graham still out until next week but it is what it is.

There's also some talk Lachie is in doubt, but I guess if he's named then that's a good sign. Hopefully he's sweet.

But yea, happy with the side for a huge clash! Friday night can't come quick enough!!
Lauchi was never suppose to play every game, just like last year when roosters drip fed walker, the same was spose to happen with ilias,im betting if nickorema was fit he would be at 7, lauchie has a shoulder injury.

truthslayer

Juniors
where is fifta I mean will sele who hasn’t played be up for it

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbit57

Juniors
On paper this is not an easy game. Surprised TAB has us at $1.58 favourites for this one.
Sele in the first 20 minutes against Junior Paulo and RCG will be a crucial contest. Also need to contain Lane and Papali running amongst our centres.
A good showing here will build confidence for the final series.
Should be a great contest.

callmack1

Staff member
'It's a stadium that's built in the heartland of our area.' - Demetriou: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...lt-in-the-heartland-of-our-area.---demetriou/

JD is 100% correct, this will be a much tougher game than previous ones against the Eels I feel. Gotta say I'm already feeling the nerves.

Captain's Run Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/08/11/captains-run-round-22/

F**k not good at all! If Lachie didn't train today there's no way he plays. This makes me feel even more nervous!! With no disrespect to Hawkins, I don't feel comfortable not having our usual halfback in such a big game.

callmack1

Staff member
I'm up at the crack of dawn as once again, another game day rolls around. No doubt though that this one is different. It's a bigger game and the stakes are higher, at least, it certainly feels that way. We take on the Eels tonight in what should be an absolute blockbuster. A huge game, probably our biggest of the Season so far, and there's so much riding on this one. 5th vs 6th with the winner staking claim to 5th spot and keeping their top 4 hopes alive. Not only that but it's a chance for both sides to make a huge statement as we draw closer to Finals.

Earlier in the week, I wasn't quite sure how to feel about Parra and what they'd throw at us tonight but as we have drawn closer to the game, I feel more and more like they're really gonna be up for this one. I know our recent record against them is great, we've had the wood over them recently, but that means nothing tonight. If anything, that makes them an even more dangerous proposition because they're going to be extremely fired up. I heard during the week that some of their players said they were 'embarrassed' by the recent form against us so no doubt they'll come out firing. This game tonight won't be anything like the last, it will be much tougher I feel. I know they're missing their halfback which is a huge loss but there's still stars right across the park for the Eels. Gutherson, Sivo, Brown, Paulo, Mahoney, Lane, Matterson, Papali'i; The list just goes on and on. So much strike power that on their day, can beat anyone so we're really up against it this week.

But this is our challenge tonight, to rise above all that. Absorb it, bottle it, and then overcome it. It is going to be a big test and we're really going to find out where we're at today. Are we up to it? Can we do it? Can we come out and put on a performance against a team that are a real contender when they get it right? I certainly think we can. I have so much belief in this squad that I just know we can do this. It's going to have to be one of our best performances of the year, but we are capable, and our destiny is in our own hands. If the boys can come out with the sort of intensity that they did in the last game against them, then we're a chance. I want to see a fired up, passionate performance. Cut this crap that we tend to do out of the game, complete your sets and keep that defence tight!! The goal should be to get on top in the middle because whoever wins the forward battle in this one, wins the game for me.

Huge day, huge night, big occasion! Rise up Souths and let's get this done!! We can do it! Lessgoooo!

Latest posts