What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 - Eels vs Rabbitohs: Friday 12th August 7:55pm @CommBank Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Ilias did part of the session at captains run in a rehab vest and the other part of session without it. He was wearing black which generally means playing so my hooe is they’re just being cautious with his loads. Hawkins was there with Ta’affe but in red which generally means not playing.

So do not give up on Ilias playing tonight yet.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are Game Day is upon us once more as our run home heats up from tonight. Yep a Friday Night blockbuster away from home at Parramatta a 5th v 6th clash. Yes we have beaten Parra the last 5 times or so and have had the wood on them but we can’t take them lightly at all. I am expecting a very hungry Parra side tonight desperate to turn that around and get the win. Bit of rain around as well so ball control will be crucial tonight. If we want to make the top 6 then tonight a win helps greatly with being able to do that.

Looking at Parra they have threats all over the park in Gutho, Sivo, D. Brown and such a strong pack in RCG, Mahoney, Paulo, Ipap, Matto, Lane etc...... strike all over the park. So the big thing we need to look at it limiting their offloads and showing good line speed in defence. The key man I feel we need to shut down though is D. Brown he’s been on fire lately and also Lane and Ipap on the edges.

For us it’ll start with matching them in the middle Tom is a big loss but we get Sele back who will be hungry to perform. We will need big games though from all the forwards to give Trell, Cody and Cook the chance to turn it on. The big one I feel that needs to step up for us is Cody we need a big game out of him tonight. Limiting those errors too will be crucial, plus kicking to corners and being as disciplined as possible. We have Atkins tonight so we need to try our best to not give cheap penalties away any half chance Atkins gets I expect him to penalise us and nitpick. And if the calls go against us we just need to dig deeper in defence and work harder for one another.

SO COME 7:57PM TONIGHT ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO FIRE UP ONCE MORE WHETHER AT BANKWEST OR AT HOME EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET LETS URGE THE BOYS HOME FOR THESE 2 VITAL COMPETITION POINTS! GLORY GLORY WE CAN DO IT LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!

Dont know about you but I’m feeling both nervous and excited!

Rabbits20

Immortal
1660271180114.jpeg
14th for penalties awarded doesn’t shock me we haven’t been getting many calls of late. And 5th worst for penalties conceded!

callmack1

Staff member
Bunnies star ruled out in big blow - Late Mail: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/624b11f222847f19bbadde4f1a88736f

Confirmed out for Lachie. Huge blow for us in such a big game and this now has me feeling extremely nervous. Dean Hawkins set to come in and while he has a great kicking game, that's about it from what I've seen so far. But I'll back him! He doesn't need to do anything flash, just do your job kid.

With Lachie out, we really need Trell, Cody, Cookie and Cam to step up and own this. If they all collectively play well then, I still think we win, but the result tonight massively falls onto them I feel. I'm particularly looking at Cody, we've been waiting all year for him to click, and it just hasn't happened consistently. That MUST change tonight if we are to compete with Parra.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Matty Johns: Bunnies cannot make grand final in cruise control​

The Rabbitohs have been masters of quick ascendancy against a lot of their rivals this season and then just strolling to the line. But Matty Johns asks will that style hold up come finals?

Matty Johns

Some of Souths Sydney’s recent performances have resembled a nice Sunday drive … I write that with both praise and criticism.

Since Latrell Mitchell’s returned, the Bunnies have suddenly found confidence and they’ve found their successful formula.

Cam Murray’s quick feet and intelligence in the middle part of sets which then gives Latrell, Damien Cook and Cody Walker time, space and opportunity on tackles four, five and six.

Souths have their favourite set sequence which ends in a string of pass options blocks to the left, but the real damage is caused when they simply get on a roll and centralise their attack with short passes and fast feet rather than pushing possession toward the sidelines.

The Rabbitohs must avoid standing back and watching gun fullback Latrell Mitchell play one-out. Picture: Getty Images

The Rabbitohs must avoid standing back and watching gun fullback Latrell Mitchell play one-out. Picture: Getty Images

When the Bunnies’ intensity is high they look every bit capable of winning this competition.

But they’re getting into dangerous territory. They’re toying with their opposition too often.

They’re like the boxer who knows, after the opening exchanges, that he has his opponent’s measure, but carries him 10 rounds just because he can.

The Bunnies take control of a match and from there only look for the accelerator when they need to.

A few performances come to mind. The Bunnies fooled around with the Knights, they started slow, got themselves in front and then cruised to the siren in a night devoid of defensive attitude, 40-28.

Against the Dogs they found themselves down 28-22 with ten to go, and it was then that they hit go and scored two tries inside five minutes to win 36-28.

In their strong 24-12 victory over Melbourne there was a definite lift in attitude, they led 10-6 at halftime, shortly after got to 24-6, and controlled the rest of the match comfortably.

The thing with intensity and composure under pressure is that it’s not something you simply reach for when you need it, it needs to be practised. It’s like a muscle, it needs to be exercised often, or bit by bit it disappears.

That principle showed itself in their loss to the Sharks.

Latrell Mitchell is a genius but the Bunnies must not be one trick ponies.

Latrell Mitchell is a genius but the Bunnies must not be one trick ponies.

In Golden Point the Bunnies had numerous opportunities to win the game but just couldn’t find the composure. I thought it was a valuable lesson learned.

Last Sunday afternoon against the Warriors, on a dry, fast surface I expected a big statement from Souths, and in the first half they delivered it.

The intent was there, as was their successful blueprint. They led 24-0 after only twenty minutes, and 36-6 at halftime. I thought a 70 point score was coming. But in the second half the intensity totally disappeared.

I get that the game was already won and all that, but this is bad practice.

In the second half the cameras captured the Bunnies coaches’ box laughing, and clearly enjoying themselves. There’s nothing wrong with that, I love coaches showing emotions in different forms but I see it as a representation of where Souths are at.

Souths are a brilliant attacking team but they’re putting too much trust in their talent.
Players like Latrell Mitchell are the icing on the cake. When you start to rely too much on their talents, you’re in trouble.

Souths to me look like a team in a comfort zone, and they need to surge out of it fast.

Friday night is a hugely important game for both Souths and Parramatta, both fighting for a top 4 spot.

Parramatta have been so impressive in the last two weeks. Their victory over Manly at 4 Pines Park was a beauty and they did it without their most crucial player Mitchell Moses. Souths have had the wood on Parramatta over the last few seasons. Parramatta’s rushing outside-in style edge defence really suits the Souths sweep option shapes.

The Eels can’t rush in blindly as they often do, otherwise the Bunnies will peel them short all night.
Friday night I’m going for a Souths victory on the back of the rise and rise of Latrell, but I want to see the Bunnies pour as much energy into their defence as they do their attack.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Late Mail Round 22 vs Eels: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/08/12/late-mail-round-22-vs-eels/

Enjoy the game everyone! I'm nervous as hell but also incredibly pumped!

Huge game, huge moment in our Season.

We can bloody do this!!
Very comprehensive performance across the park - great way to start the weekend.

Mitchell and Walker look settled and happy and have an understanding of each other’s play which is showing.

How good is Latrell presenting in his after match interviews !!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Well wasn't that special?!! I am seriously buzzing right now, absolutely over the moon!! Didn't expect that heading into the game but to come out and put on a performance like that against a Premiership contender is simply outstanding. It truly was phenomenal stuff on both sides of the ball.

Defence was no doubt the most pleasing aspect for us all tonight. Parra were by no means bad; it was just our effort and ability in defence that was next level. They threw everything they possibly could against us, but we just kept turning them away. We held them to nil. Yes, 0!! That is just amazing against a side like Parra. The 15 minute period after half time is the most impressive part of this game for me. One of the most impressive parts of our Season actually! The boys just kept turning up for each other, I am so friggin proud! Completely summed up the game.

The defensive effort was matched by equally impressive attack. While I feel we did leave a few tries out there in the first half, for the most part, we were simply unstoppable. The Eels had no answers. Rolling through the middle every set and the likes of Cody, Trell, Cam and Cookie tore them apart.

I just could not be happier, could not be more stoked with our efforts. It was amazing, truly amazing.

That is a statement victory and as Trell said in his post match interview, "look over your shoulders, we're coming."

Buzzing!!!

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Yewww I am in a great mood today! Watched the replay and it just made the win last night all the more sweeter. I know Parra are very up and down, but I still see them as a competition contender, and they've been flying recently. They didn't play badly either, threw everything they could at us. So, to go out there, put on a performance like that at their home ground, and completely dominate them is a big statement to the rest of the competition. We have arrived and we are coming.

These are my standouts,

Mitchell: One of his best games of the Season no doubt. he picked his moments but just about everything he touched turned to gold. Really got the Eels back-peddling and our attack going with those two line breaks off his first two touches. From then on, he just stood up when he needed to, injecting himself in the big moments. A few other big runs throughout the game and a great cut out ball for AJ's try. Finished with a massive 211 meters, 3 line breaks, 2 line break assists, 1 try assist and 9 tackle breaks. Simply outstanding.

Tass: Career-best game for him. His work coming out of our own end was amazing. Good to see him finally get a pass away to AJ for his first try and his defence was top notch.

Want to give a wrap to the entire right edge. They were my big worry leading into the game but there were no issues whatsoever. they literally shut down everything that came their way so big wraps to Paulo and Thompson in particular. Hawkins was awesome in only his fourth game, looked very steady and played his role to perfection. Literally can't fault him. Keaon had one of his best games of the year too. Majestic tap on for Thompson to score and he kept Lane quiet all night which isn't easy.

Walker: We needed him to step up and he did that big time. No negatives to his game at all last night and he was involved in everything. Opened the scoring by running a great hole, almost had another minutes later, had a hand in both AJ's tries and was then Johnny on the spot to secure his double. Big ups to him, he was great.

Once again, I'll wrap the entire forward pack too. They're the reason we won this game as they just bashed the Eels, dominated them, got way on top and never let up. Tatola, Arrow and Murray were particularly the standouts. Let's just go through the running meters of our forwards, it's amazing. Tatola made 208, Sele 123, Keaon 172, Arrow 192, Murray 189, Nicholls 114, Havili 138. Seriously, does it get any better than that?!! The mind just boggles when you read those stats against one of the better packs in the game.

I'm just so impressed! I'll say it again, we have arrived, and we are coming.

Latest posts