What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 match against the Tigers - moved from SCG

saint06

Juniors
From the NRL website (http://www.nrl.com.au/tigers-abandon-scg-clash-with-dragons/tabid/10874/newsid/63440/default.aspx):

The Wests Tigers have been forced to move an NRL clash with St George Illawarra which was to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1961 grand final from the iconic Sydney Cricket Ground.
The round 22 game will now be played at the Sydney Football Stadium after it was scheduled for a Friday night slot.
The Tigers had originally planned for the blockbuster to be played at the SCG 50 years after St George beat Western Suburbs 22-0 in a grand final featuring greats Norm Provan, Johnny Raper, Reg Gasnier, Noel Kelly and Arthur Summons.
But the scheduling of the clash as a Nine Network Friday Night Football game on August 5 meant the club had to revise its plans.
"We were hopeful of hosting this match on a Sunday afternoon so we could provide a great day of entertainment for our supporters," Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said in a statement.
"However, Friday night games impose really tight timeframes for supporters to get to the game and therefore, from a fan's perspective, a Friday night game becomes less about the pre-match entertainment and all about the game itself.
"As a result of this, we've needed to down-scale the pre-match entertainment plans which were so integral to the original decision to host the match at the SCG.
"With all of that in mind, we have now transferred the match to the SFS, which is such a great venue to watch rugby league at."
Humphreys said the Tigers, a joint venture between foundation clubs Wests and Balmain, remained committed to honouring the rivalry between Wests and St George of the 1960s.
"We will be hosting a lot of past players from that golden era at the match and our NRL team will proudly wear the Wests heritage jersey on the night," he said.
"We will do everything we can to secure a Sunday afternoon slot for the corresponding fixture over the next couple of years to enable us to celebrate this particular phase of the club's history on a more comprehensive scale than we are able to deliver on this occasion."

Rocket

Juniors
I thought this would be a Sunday arvo game for sure. So I made plans for my son to play at the Junee kid's footy carnival on the Saturday, making it impossible to get to the game on Friday night.

Oh well at least I'll get to see them unveil the statue of Ray Warren live ...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bring on the commission
Not sure if much will change. News Ltd were the ones who initiated the proposal for a Commission and have tried to steer the boat regarding broadcast rights ever since.

News/Fox already been granted the rights on Pay TV until 2027, but there remains a 'stand-off over the terms of the non-compete clause'.

News may be chasing coverage of all games on Fox (which will wreck the coverage for non Pay TV users). But it seems more likely that a deal will be struck with the ARL, News/Fox and one of the FTA networks, most likely Channel 9. IMO, it looks like it'll just go back to the status quo.

Hope I'm wrong of course, but given ambitions of the main stakeholders, I can't see any significant changes to what we have now.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I hope that you're wrong too Willow
There is enough angst regarding TV programming dictating game scheduling to see amendments in that area
It really depends on the level of interest from other FTA networks

big pat

Coach
this happens when you follow one of the popular teams in the nrl, everyone is fighting over you for big ratings.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I hope that you're wrong too Willow
There is enough angst regarding TV programming dictating game scheduling to see amendments in that area
It really depends on the level of interest from other FTA networks
Channel 7 = Committed to AFL, long term deal signed.
ABC, SBS, and the 'others' = Nowhere enough $ in the budget. Funny to even think about it.
That leaves Channels Ten and Nine. Looking like a one horse race.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Channel 7 = Committed to AFL, long term deal signed.
ABC, SBS, and the 'others' = Nowhere enough $ in the budget. Funny to even think about it.
That leaves Channels Ten and Nine. Looking like a one horse race.

I think that the new owners of Ten will keep it interesting and breaking up the package is also viable. I would also not count Seven out of the equation as they will along with Ten ensure that Nine is kept honest in a bidding war. If for no other reason than to ensure Nine doesn't grab an advantage by securing TV's best ratings vehicle for a song.

I don't think that AFL and NRL are mutually exclusive from a national FTA TV perspective. Nine is already pathetic when it comes to showing the game in reasonable timeslots in low rating markets.

butter81

Juniors
this game, the manly game on monday and last week's game against the broncos are possibly the worst scheduled games of the year. we should have never played brisbane at suncorp on friday after origin on wednesday. either the NRL should have seen this coming when they did the draw, or channel nine should have been urged to make it the sunday game. Manly game, what can you do?really? just a shame though, and the tigers game would have been a spectacle at the SCG on a sunday arvo.

Needless to say, the game desperately needs the commission to form asap.