What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
I oly saw the first half and a bit of the second what happened to locky? From what i saw Anderson and McGuire looked good ran aggressively which is always good to hear. I laughed a bit when the ref told McGuire just to take it easy after he ran over the top of some cowboy.

3 Gillett - rookie of the year
2 McGuire
1 Anderson

gUt

Coach
Locky copped a knee in a tackle from Grub O'Donnell and has some rib cartilage damage.

DeeJ

Bench
Just on McCullough. I think he has some brain snaps. I said it last week about him kicking on the third close to the line. He done it again tonight this time when we were in the midfield. I think it was the wrong decision at the time. It wasnt needed. Just leave the kicking up to Wallace and Lockyer abd kick only if its the last resort. Just my opinion.

I didn't mind this actually. It wasn't a bad kick or option and if Hoffman hadn't tripped on the way through it would have been a try.

It's unpredictable for the opposition who are always looking at Lockyer and Wallace for these kinds of plays.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
McCullough needs to put the dummy pass away in the cupboard for a game or two. It's way too predictable now.

Adding to my comments last night, I'd like to give a huge wrap to Hunt. He really stood up when Lockyer went off, and proved he can be a genuine playmaker with that lightning face ball for Gillett's last try.

Last edited:

Lycon79

Juniors
Have to agree with Grimey. Hunts last pass was pretty damn good. The way he played when lockyer was off renewed my confidence (a little) in him to be a solid half for the club going forward.
Good game by all IMO

3. Gillett - Mr Fix it, unfortunately his versatility maybe his downfall at rep level similar to craig wing
2. Izzy - ran it up like a prop at times, hope he keeps bagging doubles
1. Maguire - love the agression he showed, one of his best all year

hellteam

First Grade
Gillett will be the perfect reserve for Qld, a role I think he will definitely be in next year (if he keeps playing anywhere near what he has been).

gUt

Coach
It was Watts with the knee, not LOD.

I stand corrected.

Gillett has that special something doesn't he? Scores tries, seems hard to tackle, can offload at will, has pace over 40 metres and can play solidly in the pigs... all in his rookie season.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. McGuire
2. Gillette
1. Anderson

McGuire was absolutely brilliant when he was on, his best game for the club imo. Anderson was the 2nd best forward and Gillette was the best back ;).

Folau speaks for himself and probably deserves some points too.

But the defence was atrocious! Needs much more sting to dominate and slow the play the ball down.

Carl Webb seemed angry at something last night :?. Strange when he gave that penalty for pushing without being provoked.

DeBroncos

Juniors
3. Gillette
2. Folau
1. Anderson

That was the best i seen Anderson play....

PS . Was i the only 1 who saw the Cowboys 4-man scrum at the 35 min. Must be a new rule that if you get 2 men sent off that you can be two short in the scrum or the refs just have no clue.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
3. Gillette
2. Folau
1. Anderson

That was the best i seen Anderson play....

PS . Was i the only 1 who saw the Cowboys 4-man scrum at the 35 min. Must be a new rule that if you get 2 men sent off that you can be two short in the scrum or the refs just have no clue.

I saw that too. I'm not sure on the ruling regarding scrums when teams have players in the bin, but I wouldn't put it past those useless tits last night missing a 4 man scrum. Hell, they blamed LOD for a high tackle Carl Webb committed. How do you mix those two up?

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Laughed when i heard the ref telling LOD to keep his tackles down:lol:.

The state of reffing has gone badly down hill this year IMO. I'd like to see just the one ref out there (the two refs all ways have different interpretations on the rulings), The video ref should only be able to look at the replay's 4 5 times max to help the speed up the game. There are also a number of rule changes that i would like to see changed that i'm not going to rant about now.

AuDragon

Juniors
Not much to add to what everyone said...

3- Gillett
2- Wallace
1- Folau

Mentions to Anderson and McGuire for their splendid work going forward and Parker was his usual self.
Thaiday and Locky had their worst game of late, but the team dominated the Cows quite easily, despite the close score, more due to them cloking off early than anything else IMO.

Big Pete

Referee
Just glad to get the two points.

3 - Matt Gillett - Came up with a number of big plays.
2 - Israel Folau - Constant threat out wide
1 - Darren Lockyer - His kicking game proved to be the difference. Errors compromised his score some what.

Special mentions to Josh McGuire and Scott Anderson who were impressive off the bench. Also, B. Hunt rewarded Henjak for giving him game time by producing a very promising stint in the halves when Locky went off.

Thought the boys put in a very loose performance which is understandable given the turn around after such an intense game against the Dragons but still disappointing as I felt we could've enhanced our f/a incredibly against such vulnerable foes.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Happy enough with the result. Disappointed with the opposition cause of the way they played the game. Not going to go to in depth but I'm pissed off that they used cheap shots, punch ups and niggle as their main weapon to beat us instead of fair play. We still ain't certain to make the 8 but a lost of player due to injury caused by the other sides ill discipline or suspension for retaliation of such actions would make it more difficult for us to keep season alive. So, shame on cowboys. On a positive note at least we reacted well and stood up for ourselves.

Voting:
3 Gillett. He's been ever so consistent. But still walks funny.
2 Parker. Career best form. I just hope he gets a go at rep footy again to reward his efforts.
1 Anderson. Two weeks in a row i've selected him on here and its cause he's showing sting in defence and strong running in attack.

Notable mentions: The rest of the team. The five day turnaround may have had a effect on our defence but we still showed we can attack well and will be a force pending making the final 8.

johns_reds

First Grade
3. Gillet
2. Falou
1. Anderson

Any word on lockyer? last i've seen is he was having scans, anyone know when we might get results? he will be a big loss if he is out.