What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Sea Eagles

justadragon

Bench
I know it is always said that everyone is entitled to their opinion... but you must have been at a different game than me. l know that Hunt is an easy mark these days. But "a shocker" really???
I have been impressed by the 'improvement' of little bits of our game each week. Whoever is responsible for these things needs to be retained (I suspect that it is Carr). Things like:
- Zac finally showing over the last 4 weeks why Freddy called in the gifted one; and not just because he had one flick pass
- Junior's improvement after a stint in Reggies...
- for the last 3 weeks Suli seems to be more inclined to help out coming off our line...
- Rav receiving kick offs and starting sets after scoring on a positive note...
- Slone is actually missing tackles now. The good thing there its because he is trying to use his pace and MAKE tackles. We need to be patient...
- the last two weeks Billy Burns has shown why we swapped him from the panthers (but l am always wary of a vast improvement of a guy off contract soon).
- along with Dan Russell and the Couchman twins we may have a few working edge forwards for next year. Looking forward to them three after another off season
- l read that Flanno was quoted as saying that we will not add a cent to any contract that Sullivan might get. Same as Lomax and hopefully with the same result.
I really came away from last night thinking that I don't like playing well and competing but not getting the chocolates. But the reality is the rest of this season is about being ready to hit the ground running next year.
And as for Hunt - we played against Saab this week and he really kicked stones until he got out. I have been impressed with how Hunt has reacted. I wish it hadn't happened but he has reacted with maturity and deserves that recognised.
Agree with you on some of your points but not the Hunt one, Hunt dropped the bomshell on the club and his team mates in a stealth fashion via his manager when he was on SOO duties. Then he rattled again just recently, I wouldnt say that he has had his best games over the last couple of outings and in the first half of this match he really seemed disinterested. Just because we heard from Flanno that all is fine and he is staying, can we all believe that from Hunt going off previous instances. It wont be until I hear it from Hunts mouth that he is staying and will honour his contract, that I will at least feel a bit more secure with him. Until then all I have seen him do is hold the club to ransom for his pay and for releases, not willing to go into another position for the benefit of the team, try to join anther club with a chance at a premiership because the Dragons are woeful, and above all else complain about our weather. All this from the Dragons captain which that position should be revered, let alone I still dont know what to expect from him in the off season. I would have thought at his age and experience he would have already had that maturity instead of carrying on like a right royal twat.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Agree with you on some of your points but not the Hunt one, Hunt dropped the bomshell on the club and his team mates in a stealth fashion via his manager when he was on SOO duties. Then he rattled again just recently, I wouldnt say that he has had his best games over the last couple of outings and in the first half of this match he really seemed disinterested. Just because we heard from Flanno that all is fine and he is staying, can we all believe that from Hunt going off previous instances. It wont be until I hear it from Hunts mouth that he is staying will honor his contract, that I will at least feel a bit more secure with him. Until then all I have seen him do is hold the club to ransom for his pay and for releases, not willing to go into another position for the benefit of the team, try to join anther club with a chance at a premiership because the Dragons are woeful, and above all else complain about our weather. All this from the Dragons captain which that position should be revered, let alone I still dont know what to expect from him in the off season. I would have thought at his age and experience he would have already had that maturity instead of carrying on like a right royal twat.
Wouldnt say Hunts not putting in the effort but I think he is just tired from the shit around him. Still think he has Titans on speed dial unless Flanagan comes good with the 3 or 4 very good signings he appears to have promised. The fact that he is clearing the decks and making space or these is a hopeful sign.

justadragon

Bench
Wouldnt say Hunts not putting in the effort but I think he is just tired from the shit around him. Still think he has Titans on speed dial unless Flanagan comes good with the 3 or 4 very good signings he appears to have promised. The fact that he is clearing the decks and making space or these is a hopeful sign.
Totally agree Denis, problem is he is still getting paid $1.2 million to not be an ordinary player.

Victoire

Juniors
I'm no Hunt fan and I am very unsympathetic towards his words and actions in the last couple of months... but I can admit he was one of our better players on the weekend, despite the odd error. Made a line break, try assist, and his attacking kicks for Lomax were dangerous all night

denis preston

First Grade
Totally agree Denis, problem is he is still getting paid $1.2 million to not be an ordinary player.
Agree, the expectation must be higher on him for sure but we really have some 350- 550k plodders giving us far less value. I’m hoping the new conditioner tells Bird & Laurie what he is going to do to them in the off season and it scares them to a new club.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I think he is better on the right side.
CC
I have been saying this all year, but I'm sick of whoever it is at the Dragons suggesting all these players play on the wrong side.

Sulli is left side dominant, plays on the right with Hunt on the left..
Amone is right side dominant, plays on the left with Hunt on the right..
Burns is right side dominant, plays on the left.
Lomax was played on the left.
Max Feagai was played on the left when he is right side dominant.

I understand that all players should be able to play both sides... But now that players are being coached within "tram lines" it just isn't the case and players play there entire junior career on a specific side.

The two best games Amone has played this year have been when he was on the right and Sulli was on the left.

Amone played the entire year on the right last year and really started to show promise at the back end, now he is playing on the right where is fend and step hinder rather than help, cramping everyone on the left hand side.

Even in KOE cup they just don't get it, Ryan Couchman seems to be getting groomed to take over as Left side second row... But he was playing on the right on Saturday...

Play people to their strengths FFS, especially kids just trying to make it in grade.

Como Connection

First Grade
I have been saying this all year, but I'm sick of whoever it is at the Dragons suggesting all these players play on the wrong side.

Sulli is left side dominant, plays on the right with Hunt on the left..
Amone is right side dominant, plays on the left with Hunt on the right..
Burns is right side dominant, plays on the left.
Lomax was played on the left.
Max Feagai was played on the left when he is right side dominant.

I understand that all players should be able to play both sides... But now that players are being coached within "tram lines" it just isn't the case and players play there entire junior career on a specific side.

The two best games Amone has played this year have been when he was on the right and Sulli was on the left.

Amone played the entire year on the right last year and really started to show promise at the back end, now he is playing on the right where is fend and step hinder rather than help, cramping everyone on the left hand side.

Even in KOE cup they just don't get it, Ryan Couchman seems to be getting groomed to take over as Left side second row... But he was playing on the right on Saturday...

Play people to their strengths FFS, especially kids just trying to make it in grade.
100%, so obvious!
CC

since77

Juniors
I'm no Hunt fan and I am very unsympathetic towards his words and actions in the last couple of months... but I can admit he was one of our better players on the weekend, despite the odd error. Made a line break, try assist, and his attacking kicks for Lomax were dangerous all night
Really? If I were to provide a job description for Hunt at the moment it would be “guy who puts up predictable bomb after 5 uninspiring hit ups”. I’ve thought for a long while he actually stifles our attack. I trust Flanno but I would have more than happy to see the back of Hunt. I certainly hope he comes up with an attacking structure that’s better than the pedestrian and completely unthreatening crap Hunt currently steers us around the park with.

dannyt

Coach
We can blame the officiating all we like but we simply were not good enough last night. We conceded numerous long range tries on the back of soft defence and didn't show enough with the ball in hand, those things contributed most to the loss.

Carr downplaying the De Belin tackle as the bloke 'got his knee strapped', however he went off the field and has an MCL injury after the tackle.

Carr should focus on sorting out our defence and attack rather than blaming NRL officials who are simply doing a job.
Carr spoke about two issues at his presser.

The first was the strapping of a bloke's knee that held up play for at least 2 minutes. This guy was standing up the whole time his knee was being strapped. Carr did not down play the JDB tackle. His point was a bloke was getting his knee strapped for 2 minutes, which meant he should've been taken off the field and play on. He questioned whether it was in the rules for this to occur, i.e., hold up play while someone is getting strapped. This is analogous to the blood bin, where you don't treat someone for 2 minutes-you treat it quickly or treat it off the field.

Second, the no try. What did you think of it? I was at the game, and I heard "grounded", "check over the line", "over the line", then "no try". I was completely confused by the ruling, as where all supporters around me including those supporting Manly. Mind you, the latter were happily surprised. Or don't you think Carr has the right to question a decision that confused everybody?

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Dragons played well and did not deserve to lose that game but the officiating surely helped with the result.

I hate how HUnt makes an error and commentators are quick to praise him as he tries hard. His last tackle options were poor. Saints will lose Bud who I feel will end up being a terrific player if he stays injury free because Hunt refuses to play hooker which I think will be a huge benefit for the team.

Lomax has been amazing and I am so happy to see him reach this great form. I thought Liddle started well until that really stupid penalty.

Really? If I were to provide a job description for Hunt at the moment it would be “guy who puts up predictable bomb after 5 uninspiring hit ups”. I’ve thought for a long while he actually stifles our attack. I trust Flanno but I would have more than happy to see the back of Hunt. I certainly hope he comes up with an attacking structure that’s better than the pedestrian and completely unthreatening crap Hunt currently steers us around the park with.
100% agree with you since77. 5 hitups with limited passes and kick for Lomax. Been doing the same thing for years. How many tries have come off his kicks to Lomax?

denis preston

First Grade
The Dragons played well and did not deserve to lose that game but the officiating surely helped with the result.

I hate how HUnt makes an error and commentators are quick to praise him as he tries hard. His last tackle options were poor. Saints will lose Bud who I feel will end up being a terrific player if he stays injury free because Hunt refuses to play hooker which I think will be a huge benefit for the team.

Lomax has been amazing and I am so happy to see him reach this great form. I thought Liddle started well until that really stupid penalty.
I don’t necessarily think they played well and the team is a rabble but you got to admire their intensity to stay in games. I’m a bit on the fence with Carr but I will give him credit in keeping the team motivated.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
Agree with you on some of your points but not the Hunt one, Hunt dropped the bomshell on the club and his team mates in a stealth fashion via his manager when he was on SOO duties. Then he rattled again just recently, I wouldnt say that he has had his best games over the last couple of outings and in the first half of this match he really seemed disinterested. Just because we heard from Flanno that all is fine and he is staying, can we all believe that from Hunt going off previous instances. It wont be until I hear it from Hunts mouth that he is staying and will honour his contract, that I will at least feel a bit more secure with him. Until then all I have seen him do is hold the club to ransom for his pay and for releases, not willing to go into another position for the benefit of the team, try to join anther club with a chance at a premiership because the Dragons are woeful, and above all else complain about our weather. All this from the Dragons captain which that position should be revered, let alone I still dont know what to expect from him in the off season. I would have thought at his age and experience he would have already had that maturity instead of carrying on like a right royal twat.
Agreed - as I said I wished it hadn't happened... I think I am more trying to say that if anyone can go from the crap during SOO to being our captain next year - I could see Hunt doing it. If we had a better captain option I would have gone there straightaway... but that actually might have seen him walk... Anyway lets hope there is smoother waters ahead.

56to66

Juniors
I can understand why Hunt would want to leave, as I mentioned before, there has not been 1 game over the last 2 to 3 years where the refs have given the Dragons a fair go in all close encounters, this year would have to be one of the worst officiating I can remember, its like the NRL and the haters are determined to see the Red V get the wooden spoon. Sloans sin binning a couple of weeks ago vs the tigers was an absolute joke, luckily it was the tigers, it would have been another loss.

So Hunt sees it as a no hope situation, but he also needs to remember it not just the disgusting officiating, his best mate Hook had made them a bottom 8 team, he needs to stay and give the Dragons a chance of turning things around under Flanagan, I would if I was on a million a season, happy driving to training in my Cobra

BTW IMHO opinion the NRL have aimed up even harder against St George since the Jack De Belin situation way back in 2018.

Last edited: