What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 V Cowboys

Dave's mate

Juniors
The inexeperience doesn't work with Cleary. He was the 1st half picked the last 2 Origin series. Played 3 final series. Can't use inexperience as an excuse.

Maloney has double Try Assists then Cleary. Double forced dropouts.

So stats show Maloney is the better of the 2. He also is gone in 2 games. While the one locked in long term but outplayed by an old washed player stays...
Including the missed tackle and geniused penalty stats? The bloke is a straight up liability

OldPanther

Coach
The inexeperience doesn't work with Cleary. He was the 1st half picked the last 2 Origin series. Played 3 final series. Can't use inexperience as an excuse.

Maloney has double Try Assists then Cleary. Double forced dropouts.

So stats show Maloney is the better of the 2. He also is gone in 2 games. While the one locked in long term but outplayed by an old washed player stays...

You've missed the point and proved my point at the same time.

You're using Cleary who has less than 100 games to defend a guy who is considered one of the best halves in the game for not stepping up right now when the season is on the line which is precisely the reason he was brought here.

He was criticised by the media, picked his game up for the sweet $30,000 origin pay and has decided he doesn't care now that he is confirmed going to the Superannuation league. It's the same thing he did at the Sharks in 2017 when they didn't pay him so he stopped playing and moved here.

He is an amazing player with the ability to win games on his knowledge and skill but he just switches off very badly for long periods in a season.

OldPanther

Coach
Again that side is Mansour/Naden/Kikau... Who out of them can defend well? So who says Luai does any better?

He's the worst in the comp though. Maybe you are right but maybe he is at fault for why they are bad due to a lack of confidence in his defence causing bad decisions.

franklin2323

Immortal
You've missed the point and proved my point at the same time.

You're using Cleary who has less than 100 games to defend a guy who is considered one of the best halves in the game for not stepping up right now when the season is on the line which is precisely the reason he was brought here.

He was criticised by the media, picked his game up for the sweet $30,000 origin pay and has decided he doesn't care now that he is confirmed going to the Superannuation league. It's the same thing he did at the Sharks in 2017 when they didn't pay him so he stopped playing and moved here.

He is an amazing player with the ability to win games on his knowledge and skill but he just switches off very badly for long periods in a season.

No I am using our long term half. Who is a 2 time origin series winner on close to $1m against an ageing guy that is gone in 2 games.

Cleary isn't improving that isn't comparing him to anyone. He is just very average. And will be curious who the fan boys blame next year when Maloney is gone

franklin2323

Immortal
He's the worst in the comp though. Maybe you are right but maybe he is at fault for why they are bad due to a lack of confidence in his defence causing bad decisions.

He has always been the worst in comp though yet still had success. We are just an ordinary team no one player will fix it

OldPanther

Coach
No I am using our long term half. Who is a 2 time origin series winner on close to $1m against an ageing guy that is gone in 2 games.

Cleary isn't improving that isn't comparing him to anyone. He is just very average. And will be curious who the fan boys blame next year when Maloney is gone

At the very least you're shifting the focus of what's being said. No one is exactly praising Nathan.

My entire point is that they don't go together as a halves pairing and it impedes both players and the team individually and now to make it worse Maloney has appeared to switch off ready for his trip to France. It's not about playing favourites I am making a well reasoned argument which again is something that has happened to many clubs and will again.

They play better separately. We need a half to compliment Nathan. Jimmy is leaving whether we like it or not.

CCJohnC

Juniors
Same old comments coming out again and again. You cannot put old heads on young shoulders. As a comparison could anyone compare ages of our 2003 GF team against last nights position to position?

franklin2323

Immortal
Same old comments coming out again and again. You cannot put old heads on young shoulders. As a comparison could anyone compare ages of our 2003 GF team against last nights position to position?

The quality of spine was vastly different between the teams

10Grand

Juniors
Both the Cleary's are fine,just give Ivan better coaching staff,what does everyone think Bennett,Robson and Bellamy don't have good assistants.
This is a list of number 7s in the comp this week..Moses,lachlan Lewis,asiata,o sullivan,reynolds,townsend,Green,brooks,pearce,hunt,cronk,Croft,jacks,sezer,dce..
NOW TELL ME WHO OTHER THEN DCE IS WORTH HAVING OVER NATHAN..
now don't say that I luv myself moses or that injury prone Reynolds or that dog lover pearce or that catch n pass Cronk..
We have had massive issues since Ivan got here,he is debuting rookies and getting rid of deadwood who he gave 1st chance to but they came up short,we have such a weakend roster and are where we deserve,no coach can save us till we strengthen the weak positions..

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Both the Cleary's are fine,just give Ivan better coaching staff,what does everyone think Bennett,Robson and Bellamy don't have good assistants.
This is a list of number 7s in the comp this week..Moses,lachlan Lewis,asiata,o sullivan,reynolds,townsend,Green,brooks,pearce,hunt,cronk,Croft,jacks,sezer,dce..
NOW TELL ME WHO OTHER THEN DCE IS WORTH HAVING OVER NATHAN..
now don't say that I luv myself moses or that injury prone Reynolds or that dog lover pearce or that catch n pass Cronk..
We have had massive issues since Ivan got here,he is debuting rookies and getting rid of deadwood who he gave 1st chance to but they came up short,we have such a weakend roster and are where we deserve,no coach can save us till we strengthen the weak positions..

Cronk on his last legs is 200 times the player of Cleary. You’re cooked.

Panfa

Juniors
Our spine next yr should look something like this laurie burton luai cleary its the only way forward we get to keep all 3 in the starting 13 and its a dangerous spine.

Pomoz

Bench
You and the people who liked your comment are clueless and have missed my point completely. Congrats on not actually unders tranding football.

The comment you replied to is correct in way it says. I've explained the concept of halves clashing and having the same issues at multiple clubs many times. Other clubs and halves have had the problem since the beggining of time.
Disagreeing with you doesn't make us clueless. Your theory about halves clashing is probably right and you can see they don't work well together. However, you seem to have overlooked that Maloney is also a victim of the mismatch and yet manages to create double the amount of tries with less receipts of the ball. Perhaps Maloney would create more if he had a better halves partner as well.

That is exactly why I think it is a forlorn hope that the removal of Maloney will turn Cleary in to Brandy mark 2 and don't think the mismatch explains Cleary's lack of skill as a halfback. In fact, it is quite extraordinary that a player is blamed for the lack of skill of another due to a clash of styles. Cleary has received the ball more times than Maloney this season and he has played one game less.

Of course, I am not on the field and it is possible that Maloney has instructed Cleary not to run and take tackles and to turn the ball inside to Yeo/Martin/Kikau/JFH/Leota/RCG/Tamou/Leniu/my Mum/my nephew (he's good). He may also have told him to make sure he kicks to the fullback on the full. In which case, then Maloney has clearly ruined Nathan's chances of throwing spiralling passes and deft short balls to create tries and should be remonstrated with forthwith. It doesn't explain why Nathan wouldn't tell Maloney to f%ck off, or why the coach wouldn't step in and tell him not to listen to big bad Jimmy and do something different. But yeah, Maloney is our problem and once he leaves we can alert the engravers and cabinet makers to get ready for the Premiership trophy. "No mate, it's not two f's, it's th". "Sorry mate, I have never heard of Penrith before and I've been engraving this trophy for the last ten years".......

OldPanther

Coach
Disagreeing with you doesn't make us clueless. Your theory about halves clashing is probably right and you can see they don't work well together. However, you seem to have overlooked that Maloney is also a victim of the mismatch and yet manages to create double the amount of tries with less receipts of the ball. Perhaps Maloney would create more if he had a better halves partner as well.

That is exactly why I think it is a forlorn hope that the removal of Maloney will turn Cleary in to Brandy mark 2 and don't think the mismatch explains Cleary's lack of skill as a halfback. In fact, it is quite extraordinary that a player is blamed for the lack of skill of another due to a clash of styles. Cleary has received the ball more times than Maloney this season and he has played one game less.

Of course, I am not on the field and it is possible that Maloney has instructed Cleary not to run and take tackles and to turn the ball inside to Yeo/Martin/Kikau/JFH/Leota/RCG/Tamou/Leniu/my Mum/my nephew (he's good). He may also have told him to make sure he kicks to the fullback on the full. In which case, then Maloney has clearly ruined Nathan's chances of throwing spiralling passes and deft short balls to create tries and should be remonstrated with forthwith. It doesn't explain why Nathan wouldn't tell Maloney to f%ck off, or why the coach wouldn't step in and tell him not to listen to big bad Jimmy and do something different. But yeah, Maloney is our problem and once he leaves we can alert the engravers and cabinet makers to get ready for the Premiership trophy. "No mate, it's not two f's, it's th". "Sorry mate, I have never heard of Penrith before and I've been engraving this trophy for the last ten years".......

I was in a bad mood at the time.

Abacus

Juniors
Does anyone think our reliance on our outside backs to make the first few hitups of every set impacts their ability to be effective in attack? They always appear a step or 2 of the pace when its time to attack.

I'd like to see our pigs get back quicker so they are taking all hitups after the 2nd tackle and we play more through the middle. Coach will have to get them fit first though.

OldPanther

Coach
Does anyone think our reliance on our outside backs to make the first few hitups of every set impacts their ability to be effective in attack? They always appear a step or 2 of the pace when its time to attack.

I'd like to see our pigs get back quicker so they are taking all hitups after the 2nd tackle and we play more through the middle. Coach will have to get them fit first though.

Players like Fergo, The giraffe for the Roosters and many others do it. Even To'o looks capable.