What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 V Cowboys

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Disagreeing with you doesn't make us clueless. Your theory about halves clashing is probably right and you can see they don't work well together. However, you seem to have overlooked that Maloney is also a victim of the mismatch and yet manages to create double the amount of tries with less receipts of the ball. Perhaps Maloney would create more if he had a better halves partner as well.

That is exactly why I think it is a forlorn hope that the removal of Maloney will turn Cleary in to Brandy mark 2 and don't think the mismatch explains Cleary's lack of skill as a halfback. In fact, it is quite extraordinary that a player is blamed for the lack of skill of another due to a clash of styles. Cleary has received the ball more times than Maloney this season and he has played one game less.

Of course, I am not on the field and it is possible that Maloney has instructed Cleary not to run and take tackles and to turn the ball inside to Yeo/Martin/Kikau/JFH/Leota/RCG/Tamou/Leniu/my Mum/my nephew (he's good). He may also have told him to make sure he kicks to the fullback on the full. In which case, then Maloney has clearly ruined Nathan's chances of throwing spiralling passes and deft short balls to create tries and should be remonstrated with forthwith. It doesn't explain why Nathan wouldn't tell Maloney to f%ck off, or why the coach wouldn't step in and tell him not to listen to big bad Jimmy and do something different. But yeah, Maloney is our problem and once he leaves we can alert the engravers and cabinet makers to get ready for the Premiership trophy. "No mate, it's not two f's, it's th". "Sorry mate, I have never heard of Penrith before and I've been engraving this trophy for the last ten years".......

Brilliant post.

It's not Maloney's fault that Cleary is incapable of throwing a pass that cuts out Martin and hits Whare on the outside of his opposition centre.

OldPanther

Coach
Brilliant post.

It's not Maloney's fault that Cleary is incapable of throwing a pass that cuts out Martin and hits Whare on the outside of his opposition centre.

I think that's on coaching. It can be taught easy enough but for some reason other clubs do it but not us :thinking:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think that's on coaching. It can be taught easy enough but for some reason other clubs do it but not us :thinking:

Watch the Dogs match winning try on Thursday. Lachlan Lewis throws a bullet which gets Holland on the outside of Blake. That's a pass I've never seen Cleary throw.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Well we improve out of sight with Jimmy gone. Thank f**k we only have 2 more games with the boot throwing prick. Maybe only Ennis has benefited more from the no punching rule. merkin should be sat on his arse most games, just such a grubby f**k

OldPanther

Coach
Or Nathan could practice until he's able to do it consistently? Or if he needs to be coached, perhaps he could get to mum and dad's an hour before Sunday dinner.

Watch the Dogs match winning try on Thursday. Lachlan Lewis throws a bullet which gets Holland on the outside of Blake. That's a pass I've never seen Cleary throw.

So the club should pay someone who's job it is to address these things at training and during pre-season. We could call this new position "coach".

It's well known Griffin sucked tactically. And @herbert henry1908 showed Ivan is the same with attacking football. Good coaches get players developing on their weaknesses. Bellamy is a master of it.

Abacus

Juniors
So the club should pay someone who's job it is to address these things at training and during pre-season. We could call this new position "coach".

It's well known Griffin sucked tactically. And @herbert henry1908 showed Ivan is the same with attacking football. Good coaches get players developing on their weaknesses. Bellamy is a master of it.
I think the club already has 1 of those. Nathan can find him simply by yelling "Dad!" But I'm assuming you mean a halves coach. Unfortunately you can't restrict the team's training while waiting for your half to develop the passing skill required to be a NRL halfback. So coaches opt to work with what they have.

Although if Ivan (& countless others through Nathan's lower grade development) have been unable to identify and rectify his individual deficiencies, and Nathan is unwiliing to work on it himself (without a coach) it may be time to consider that Nathan is physically incapable of such passing.

Panther_Daz

Staff member

As much as I don't rate Ivan as a coach, I just don't think Nathan has a long pass in him. He has had like 80 games but I've never seen him throw a spiral bullet pass.

OldPanther

Coach
I think the club already has 1 of those. Nathan can find him simply by yelling "Dad!" But I'm assuming you mean a halves coach. Unfortunately you can't restrict the team's training while waiting for your half to develop the passing skill required to be a NRL halfback. So coaches opt to work with what they have.

Although if Ivan (& countless others through Nathan's lower grade development) have been unable to identify and rectify his individual deficiencies, and Nathan is unwiliing to work on it himself (without a coach) it may be time to consider that Nathan is physically incapable of such passing.

As much as I don't rate Ivan as a coach, I just don't think Nathan has a long pass in him. He has had like 80 games but I've never seen him throw a spiral bullet pass.

I agree that he can't or doesn't do it. It very obviously doesn't come naturally to Nathan. I just figure a grown adult being paid so much who spends so long training could learn these things. Maybe not. Don't even need a halves coach just run some attacking plays and get him to throw a long cut out pass a certain % of the time.

Nathan’s strength is playing direct, not side to side. Which means we need our other half to be good at playing side to side, and preferably to the be on ball half.

Nathan should stand wider and run at gaps, have Edwards run off him.

OldPanther

Coach
Nathan’s strength is playing direct, not side to side. Which means we need our other half to be good at playing side to side, and preferably to the be on ball half.

Nathan should stand wider and run at gaps, have Edwards run off him.

To add to this he looks like an old school 5/8. Big enough body, good at going at the line, defends well, can kick and pass enough to support the halfback

Issue is they seem loathe to try things.

10Grand

Juniors
There are many reasons for someone to be a great halfback,big deal if he hasn't thrown a long pass,Lachlan Lewis can defend and thats about it but Nathan has got him covered by a mile in other areas,Go watch some Panther games before Maloney's arrival and you will realise what Jimmy has done to his game,also Soward was playing to side to side and thats why Griffin replaced him with a half that played direct to the line.Nathan is already a better half then most.

There are many reasons for someone to be a great halfback,big deal if he hasn't thrown a long pass,Lachlan Lewis can defend and thats about it but Nathan has got him covered by a mile in other areas,Go watch some Panther games before Maloney's arrival and you will realise what Jimmy has done to his game,also Soward was playing to side to side and thats why Griffin replaced him with a half that played direct to the line.Nathan is already a better half then most.

if he’s such a good half why has he never been at the top of the try assist standings? This is literally the no.1 job of a half, to create points for the team.

Even in 2017 he only had 10 try assists.

Mitchell Moses, who I don’t particularly rate, has almost 30 this season.

Luke Brooks has 22

Nathan Cleary comes in at 31st with 9 try assists.

Elite halves create points, create line breaks for their teams. This is not what he’s good at. He’s a running half, a 5/8 or perhaps a hooker. He shouldn’t be the main focus of attack. For as long as he is, we’ll struggle to score points.

To add to this he looks like an old school 5/8. Big enough body, good at going at the line, defends well, can kick and pass enough to support the halfback

Issue is they seem loathe to try things.

The crazy thing is they don’t even need to look far to see it. In SG Ball Nathan played 5/8, Luai played 7.

He’s not an on the ball half. This is a hill I’ll die on :wink:

OldPanther

Coach
The crazy thing is they don’t even need to look far to see it. In SG Ball Nathan played 5/8, Luai played 7.

He’s not an on the ball half. This is a hill I’ll die on :wink:

So they did that and dominated which Ivan would be aware of.

giphy.gif

Nathan comes in at 31st for try assists

24th for line break assists

but “he’s better than most other halves”

people will delude themselves into anything

Among halves he comes in at 4th for line breaks, 5th for tackle busts

There’s a clear picture here if people want to see it. His strength lies in running the ball, not in passing the ball.

Kilkenny

Coach
There are lot’s of reason’s we are where we are.

The biggest concern for me is our coaching staff and management are not capable of identifying the solutions we need to address our problems.

Abacus

Juniors
Hahaha, you must be Nathan's younger brother.

franklin2323

Immortal
There are lot’s of reason’s we are where we are.

The biggest concern for me is our coaching staff and management are not capable of identifying the solutions we need to address our problems.

Too soon to say this. Need to see what the new season brings

Vicpanther

Juniors
My 2 cents is that Nathan is a confidence player. Once he gets a roll on he goes well.
Jimmy is a tactical player and tends to kill Nathan's momentum. Both are good (Jimmy is great) they just don't mesh well.

SOO is different as Freddy would have told them it's maloney team.