What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Edwards took more responsibility for play making last night and it worked, he called the ball on the short side with no halves there (and Kenny went to him) more than once, it's a really good sign for the attack.
Dylan didn't have to have the usual 20 carries for 180 plus metres.
Minor subtle changes in attack having both halves on the same side a lot but still playing the long game strangling the opposition into submission.
Certain sides just can't handle legs tackles, climbing off the ground constantly frustrated by the Panthers tackling style really helps our side kill any momentum.
We rarely blow teams away on the scoreboard but often beat them by grinding away sticking to the plan.

WestyLife

First Grade
This is the problem to people reacting to the poster and not the post. It was obvious what Chins was saying, and it wasn't having a go at Hosking.

All things considered he did a reasonable job for the most part, but he aint a center, that much is obvious to anyone with eyes. Can't fault his effort for a second though, I'm glad we have him.

Yeah I'm a big fan of hosking he's a hard worker with a touch of skill for a second rower.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Edwards took more responsibility for play making last night and it worked, he called the ball on the short side with no halves there (and Kenny went to him) more than once, it's a really good sign for the attack.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't really noticed. Perhaps I was too worried about his 'sore chest'.

hindy111

Post Whore
My run-down watching the game
Sorenson superb. He is a better the Capewell? I think so. I remember when he first was being picked over Spencer and how many fans on here cried. He is a great player.

Turuva best game I've seen him play.

To'o was in beast mode

Crighton is playing great footy right now

Luais forms picked up

Leota and JFH belted their pack

Others all played well. The scranble defense in 2nd half was out of this world good.

Pomoz

Bench
Agree Pomoz, but the coaching staff at Penrith were mentioned a lot until this year. Barrett and Ciraldo were talked up as messiahs, the architects of our success.

The true architect of our success get little respect because he doesn’t engage with the media. But to watch Bellamy go into that press conference and effectively admit that Penrith are just too good speaks to everything that has built.
I think there are architects "plural". Ivan takes the credit as the head coach, but the board, the CEO, the recruitment head, the administration and the fitness and conditioning staff also deserve massive credit.

Ivan deserves credit, of course, he is moving into the upper echelon of coaches. If we win thls year it cements his place at the top table.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Agree Pomoz, but the coaching staff at Penrith were mentioned a lot until this year. Barrett and Ciraldo were talked up as messiahs, the architects of our success.

The true architect of our success get little respect because he doesn’t engage with the media. But to watch Bellamy go into that press conference and effectively admit that Penrith are just too good speaks to everything that has built.
“No names” perhaps in Brisbane but local heroes here. I think that us and Brisbane are the only teams with at least 2 first grade quality centers so Ivan wasn’t wrong to chance his arm. He could move Crichton to cover the stronger center leaving Hosking with Laui inside and To’o outside to help him. Shame about Jenkins but Clearyball is all about bash and Hosking is bash righteous.

Girds89

Bench

I think his not 100% fit.. not sure if hes foots playing up but he hasnt looked 100% himself the last few weeks.

Not playing badly... far from it... just his involvements are down.

Girds89

Bench
Edwards needs a break. He struggled in the 2nd half. Only 69 meters for the game. Still controlled everything well. But he looks tired.

Yeah i think youre right alice. I think he might me carrying something...

Ive said for ages on here the club keeps niggles and injuries very quiet.

Look at tago... weve got nothing. Wouldnt suprise me if dyls carrying an injury that he can play with but will need surgery at the end of the year.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Look at tago... weve got nothing. Wouldnt suprise me if dyls carrying an injury that he can play with but will need surgery at the end of the year.

I agree about keeping injuries quite (if at all possible). Opposition players don't need to know.......

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Sunvia at the back against Manly. He's got a big voice, and has been a revelation on the wing. Fullback I imagine no different. Give Edwards a week off. He's carried a huge load.

Ivan was at the cup game today. I suspect to view a winger and maybe a centre.

I think there are architects "plural". Ivan takes the credit as the head coach, but the board, the CEO, the recruitment head, the administration and the fitness and conditioning staff also deserve massive credit.

Ivan deserves credit, of course, he is moving into the upper echelon of coaches. If we win thls year it cements his place at the top table.
Too true. People like to point to an individual (I just did myself) but it takes a lot of people to create something so dominant and sustainable.

Girds89

Bench
Rather see Turuva. Gives us a look if Dylan goes down mid game. We know Critter can do OKish at 1

Iongi is ready..

I think ivan will take the path of least disruption.

Whether dyl is injured or not... i think a week or two off leading into the finals wontbhurt him.

Hes not a bloke that will lose fitness in a few weeks

chrisD

Coach
Dylan didn't have to have the usual 20 carries for 180 plus metres.
Minor subtle changes in attack having both halves on the same side a lot but still playing the long game strangling the opposition into submission.
Certain sides just can't handle legs tackles, climbing off the ground constantly frustrated by the Panthers tackling style really helps our side kill any momentum.
We rarely blow teams away on the scoreboard but often beat them by grinding away sticking to the plan.
I would prefer he never have two hit up carries a set. If he has a second touch it should be because he calls for it because he sees an opportunity or part of a backline play. I wouldn't mind if he took the occasional set off even. I know his workload along with the other backs out of our own end keep our forwards fresh and particularly allow the minutes of our second rowers but I'd rather scale Edwards back a bit, particularly on the 4th so he's an option on the 5th for those times especially when we choose to run it.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I would prefer he never have two hit up carries a set. If he has a second touch it should be because he calls for it because he sees an opportunity or part of a backline play. I wouldn't mind if he took the occasional set off even. I know his workload along with the other backs out of our own end keep our forwards fresh and particularly allow the minutes of our second rowers but I'd rather scale Edwards back a bit, particularly on the 4th so he's an option on the 5th for those times especially when we choose to run it.
Once May is back in the side this will be easier I think

Black Diamond

Juniors

Dylan had to step up through Origin and did a tremendous job. I agree, give the bloke a rest to freshen up before finals.

age.s

First Grade
Hosking getting a bath. You f**king moron Ivan

This is the problem to people reacting to the poster and not the post. It was obvious what Chins was saying, and it wasn't having a go at Hosking.

All things considered he did a reasonable job for the most part, but he aint a center, that much is obvious to anyone with eyes. Can't fault his effort for a second though, I'm glad we have him.
You don't see why calling by far the most successful coach we've ever had and one of the chief architects of what's shaping up to be one the most dominant periods in the leagues history "a moron" for choosing a skillful backrower having a breakout season as our 4th choice centre? How about after we absolutely shut out the second most dominant club team of the last decade, earning sincere, unequivocal praise from one of the sport's most respected coaches in a game where the player in question had a mixed bag game at best. How about when it's a long developed pattern spanning several of these types of seasons?

I'm not personally that bothered by aggressively negative posts, particularly in the heat of a big game (and perhaps a shandy or two in), but surely you must see why that posting style gets people riled up in the context of where we're at as a club. It's just so far removed from reality atm.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
You don't see why calling by far the most successful coach we've ever had and one of the chief architects of what's shaping up to be one the most dominant periods in the leagues history "a moron" for choosing a skillful backrower having a breakout season as our 4th choice centre? How about after we absolutely shut out the second most dominant club team of the last decade, earning sincere, unequivocal praise from one of the sport's most respected coaches in a game where the player in question had a mixed bag game at best. How about when it's a long developed pattern spanning several of these types of seasons?

I'm not personally that bothered by aggressively negative posts, particularly in the heat of a big game (and perhaps a shandy or two in), but surely you must see why that posting style gets people riled up in the context of where we're at as a club. It's just so far removed from reality atm.
Was a poor tactical decision for winning THAT game. Handy to learn at an absolute pinch Hosking could move to centre mid game due to injury or HIA

chrisD

Coach
Honestly in a pinch I’d rather Salmon or Luke to centre. I dunno Hosking is a better option than Martin or Sorro.

I guess we did learn Jenkins is not an option for IC this season. But whatever it doesn’t matter, both Tago and Peachey not being available in the finals is a long long shot and we’ll still win anyway if the rest of the team is basically there.

Latest posts