What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Munky

Coach
Xavier Coates failed to finish training today (hip injury), and Jahrome Hughes sat it out due to sickness.
Nelson Asofa-Solomona good to go.

I'd be rolling the dice with Jenkins this round. We're never gonna get another chance at a Storm backline like this one, and it will be good to see what he's got when surrounded by the A-team.

We got a pretty bad Storm backline in Magic Round last season.

Hopefully a bigger score this time.

No one says it out loud, but Melbournes team (outside the spine and the big boppers) is decidedly sub-par.

That spine is brilliant though.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Well i guess we played with no Cleary last game, they may play this game with no Hughes -

Kind of equals it out.. So should be no excuses for either team..

Girds89

Bench
I think this will really tell us where we are at this year.

I doubt it tago plays which is a shame but otherwise full strength.

Melbourne will be pumped and 110% up for it after we embarrassed them at home. They will be coming for us hard.

Despite the big win last weel and nathans kicking game being brilliant i thought the attack was clunky.

Really hope the boys can get the two points in a good performance and no injuries.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I think this will really tell us where we are at this year.

I doubt it tago plays which is a shame but otherwise full strength.

Melbourne will be pumped and 110% up for it after we embarrassed them at home. They will be coming for us hard.

Despite the big win last weel and nathans kicking game being brilliant i thought the attack was clunky.

Really hope the boys can get the two points in a good performance and no injuries.
They can't go with us for 80. They'll need a good halftime lead to be a chance imo

Girds89

Bench
We will tire their pack out. 20 point win here easy
Thats the key.

Go hard early at nelson and tui.

Target them heavily. It was obvious when i was at the Melbourne game thats one thing we didnt do and it was clearly a strategy that we missed an opportunity on.

Big nelson was slow at marker and last back into the line every time from 35th min onwards but we didnt target him at all...

We must blitz him imo..

Bizza, turuva, edwards, critta all going at him coming out of our end... even if hes at marker go at him..

Even if it means a 7 or 8m run instead of 10.

It will gas him and he wont have the juice to do anything in attack.

Imo you shut him down it really stops their attack. He can really get quick play the balls on an edge and offloads which grant, hughes and munster thrive off.

Counter his size with speed and workload.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Thats the key.

Go hard early at nelson and tui.

Target them heavily. It was obvious when i was at the Melbourne game thats one thing we didnt do and it was clearly a strategy that we missed an opportunity on.

Big nelson was slow at marker and last back into the line every time from 35th min onwards but we didnt target him at all...

We must blitz him imo..

Bizza, turuva, edwards, critta all going at him coming out of our end... even if hes at marker go at him..

Even if it means a 7 or 8m run instead of 10.

It will gas him and he wont have the juice to do anything in attack.

Imo you shut him down it really stops their attack. He can really get quick play the balls on an edge and offloads which grant, hughes and munster thrive off.

Counter his size with speed and workload.
And if Bellamy benches him we save Spencer for him

Girds89

Bench
And if Bellamy benches him we save Spencer for him

Yeah, not really.

Spencer is easy pickings for him.

Nelsons got decent footwork for a big man and spencer whilst a beast is pretty even match for nelson strength wise.

Get the smaller quicker guys going at him all night is what id do as coach.

He will give away penalties or get caught out..

Turuva in particular... he runs it back like no one ive seen before.

Too has the power.

Edwards has a combo of the step spin and leg drive.

Turuva just runs it back at a million miles an hour.

Get our smallest bloke going at him.

soc123_au

Staff member
Last week was a pure training run. The game plan had zero f**ks to give about laying on a big score. It was all about experimenting with the fastest most effective way of wearing down a teams middle and exhausting them. Early kicks to turn them around and turning runners back inside through the middle corridor, if we wanted points we go at their edges and tear them to shreds.

I liked it. Ivan is already thinking about finals and playing game plans based on how we are going to get the 3peat. He would have seen what he wanted to see from the Sharks game & it will be in the bank for later. Sharks are one of the best attacking teams in the comp, the plan kept them to 0 by giving them no juice to attack. Way more valuable than scoring 50.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Last week was a pure training run. The game plan had zero f**ks to give about laying on a big score. It was all about experimenting with the fastest most effective way of wearing down a teams middle and exhausting them. Early kicks to turn them around and turning runners back inside through the middle corridor, if we wanted points we go at their edges and tear them to shreds.

I liked it. Ivan is already thinking about finals and playing game plans based on how we are going to get the 3peat. He would have seen what he wanted to see from the Sharks game & it will be in the bank for later. Sharks are one of the best attacking teams in the comp, the plan kept them to 0 by giving them no juice to attack. Way more valuable than scoring 50.
The high NFL style kicks are Nathan's best option 90% of the time

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I agree and I reckon he and Ivan are pretty sure it's the go as well. I liked that they tried a different way to get a similar result.
He should definitely be looking for 40/20's though.

I can see Lord Peter getting rid of the 7 tackle set from inside the attacking 20 or 30. Would improve the game without a doubt

Latest posts