What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Fangs

Coach
But I even picked up my Brown and white Panther blanket Mummy knitted me when I was a little boy.

Parra one goes under the lounge soon. I'll be all wrapped up in Brown and white naked on the couch. Close your eyes and let your imagination run wild

View attachment 77650

I have one just like that but its the licorice all sorts variety.

And a beanie with a pom pom.

Girds89

Bench
Nathan’s kicking did yes. It’s not “NFL” style kicking is my point.

NFL punters kick for “Hang time”, Nathan does not. He kicks what ever kick he needs to achieve either, a catch between the 10 or 20 or Ball on the grass inside the twenty.

It’s kicking in general play 101 and its coached everywhere.

Nathan and Jerome just happen to be very good kickers.

Those long high bombs are 1000% a hang time kick...

He does them to give the defence time to chase down their and smash the catcher before he can go anywhere....

Its been a tactic for years now... its quite obvious. Not sure how you cant see that..

My issue with nathans kicking is the variety and when to use it....and i think ive been extremely vocal and critical off his kicking on here over the years... maybe moreso than any poster.

He can quite often get caught up in the high bomb hang time kick tactic instead of playing eyes up footy...

Theres a time and place for the high hang time floaters...

But variety is needed most of the time.

I thought last week was the best variety and kicking execution id seen from nath in a long long time.

He mixed up his kicks all night and mixed up when he kicked.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

He does them to give the defence time to chase down their and smash the catcher before he can go anywhere....

Its been a tactic for years now... its quite obvious. Not sure how you cant see that..

My issue with nathans kicking is the variety and when to use it....and i think ive been extremely vocal and critical off his kicking on here over the years... maybe moreso than any poster.

He can quite often get caught up in the high bomb hang time kick tactic instead of playing eyes up footy...

I thought last week was the best variety and kicking execution id seen from nath in a long long time.

I’ve been coaching the exact same kicking tactics to my halves for the last 18months.

I can assure you that you’re wrong. Unless Nathan doesn’t know what he’s doing…… I feel like he does.

WestyLife

First Grade
I’ve been coaching the exact same kicking tactics to my halves for the last 18months.

I can assure you that you’re wrong. Unless Nathan doesn’t know what he’s doing…… I feel like he does.

Maybe I'm wrong since you're the coach but surely a varied kicking game is much more desirable.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

This team is built on boring repetition

Girds89

Bench

Mate its pretty obvious youve done some coaching course in the last 2 years now you think you are wayne bennett coaching kids haha.

The high bomb tactic has been spoken about over and over and over again by commentators on 9 and fox and how it gives our defence time to swamp the wingers or db..

I can assure you you are wrong hahha..and i didn't need to listen to all the former players and coaches on fox or 9 to know that...

Its obvious.

Please enlighten us in all your wisdom why nathan does mid field bombs than??? Cause he only trys the floaters every so often?? Probs 90% of his midfield bombs are just stock high kicks wingers catch easy....

A grass kick would be harder to take judging the bounce and unpredictability of the ball along the ground... but he rarely does that... why???

Because the ball in the air as a bomb gives the defence roughly an extra 2 seconds or so to get down the other end... that means they can be 15m or so further downfield...

Its a clear tactic. I mean if memory serves me correct ive even heard ivan talk about it in a pre game a few years back.

WestyLife

First Grade
Mate its pretty obvious youve done some coaching course in the last 2 years now you think you are wayne bennett coaching kids haha.

The high bomb tactic has been spoken about over and over and over again by commentators on 9 and fox and how it gives our defence time to swamp the wingers or db..

I can assure you you are wrong hahha..and i didn't need to listen to all the former players and coaches on fox or 9 to know that...

Its obvious.

Please enlighten us in all your wisdom why nathan does mid field bombs than??? Cause he only trys the floaters every so often?? Probs 90% of his midfield bombs are just stock high kicks wingers catch easy....

A grass kick would be harder to take judging the bounce and unpredictability of the ball along the ground... but he rarely does that... why???

Because the ball in the air as a bomb gives the defence roughly an extra 2 seconds or so to get down the other end... that means they can be 15m or so further downfield...

Its a clear tactic. I mean if memory serves me correct ive even heard ivan talk about it in a pre game a few years back.

Damn bit of a personal snipe there.

Fangs

Coach
Its an even better kick if you can get it on either side of the field rather than the middle. You restrict the play the ball to only one pass left or right which lets you dominate the next tackle. It also gives the other edge of your defence a slight break and those small breaks add up over the course of the game.

Again it was just becoming a bit too obvious but when we execute it no one does it better than us. So I expect you'll see it a bit more in the finals.

Last edited:

Latest posts