What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Cowboys

kiwipete

Juniors
Surely we'd be wrapping up Anderson. With Grant and Anderson gone we'd be left with a rookie, Latimore, a second rower and two blokes who are past their best and likely to miss a fair bit of football.

Absolutely agree, there are no big names available so lets go for the next best, and we get someone who wants to be a part of what this club is about. No ego just wants to play NRL footy.

kiwipete

Juniors
What are you suggesting here?

Just that I hear TG doesn't quite fit what Ivan wants from this player group. No ego's, no bigheads and someone who just wants to work hard for his team mates.

Nothing sinister, I never doubted TG's ability or willingness to win for Penrith.

kiwipete

Juniors
Peachey,
Cartwright,
Taylor
Kite all aren't coming back we have no problem playing any forward we want in the side

Not quite true, Anderson is outside the top 25 and TG is inside, and fit and well so we are required to select him in FG unless we have no other options available. That was the same problem that kept Moylan and Anderson out of FG last year. The club can be fined if they breach the rule.

MaxPower

Juniors
Just that I hear TG doesn't quite fit what Ivan wants from this player group. No ego's, no bigheads and someone who just wants to work hard for his team mates.

Nothing sinister, I never doubted TG's ability or willingness to win for Penrith.

When you used the words 'excuse' and 'convenient' i thought you were hinting Cleary had an ulterior motive for the non-selection of Anderson.

roofromoz

First Grade
Saw bits of the Friday Favourite classic match on Fox Sports v Cowboys in 2008. Where O'Donnell gets sent off after raised elbows on Priddis and Lewis, and Sammut kicks one of the ugliest field goals you will ever see from dummy half to snatch victory deep into golden point. Memories.

After that was another match, v Illawarra in 1994 at Penrith. Alexander at fullback, Fittler and Freeman in the halves, the Axe (Gillmeister) in the front row. Handy side.

TheFrog

Coach
I don't think it exists on video anywhere, but the '84 match at Penrith between us and Illawarra was an out and out cracker, played before a crowd of about 5,000. Not only Alexander's first season, but both Sheens and Brian Smith's first seasons as coaches. Both sides had their best season up to that time, both narrowly missing the finals. It was one of the most exciting Rugby League matches I have ever watched. We won 18-10 but it took a mammoth defensive effort to keep the guys in red, who scored in the opening minute of each half, out.

BxTom

Bench
I don't think it exists on video anywhere, but the '84 match at Penrith between us and Illawarra was an out and out cracker, played before a crowd of about 5,000. Not only Alexander's first season, but both Sheens and Brian Smith's first seasons as coaches. Both sides had their best season up to that time, both narrowly missing the finals. It was one of the most exciting Rugby League matches I have ever watched. We won 18-10 but it took a mammoth defensive effort to keep the guys in red, who scored in the opening minute of each half, out.

I think that the mid eighties through to our first Grand final was a great time to be a Panther Fan. You could see, feel and taste the improvement in the club. Similar to how it feels now :D.

Tom.

forby

Juniors
Two big results for the U20s today, with Brisbane beating Souths and Cronulla upsetting the Storm! With the Warriors up against the Knights they could be in 7th 2 points above 8th.

maple_69

Bench
Ripe for the picking then. They belted aweful teams. Great that Melbourne got that game out of their system after the Knights debacle. We have them both at home and we're not rated. All the ingredients of a couple of great ambushes.

TeamSatan

Juniors
We really need to win this week.
Just to stay in front of the pack.
Hope we get a huge crowd and the refs on our side.
Cat in the hat against Thurston should be fantastic.
Think we can get them on the edges..Whare to shine.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Yeah. Cold wet night, school night and playing a team outside Sydney. I think anything near 8,000 would be as good as you will get.

maple_69

Bench
Due to outstanding scheduling we're going to do it two weeks in a row as well. These games were only scheduled a month a go and theyre both huge games in shaping the top 8..

Anyway a cold night (looking like 10 degrees for tomorrow evening) should help us as much as a huge crowd would.

I agree that we really need to win this. Most of the teams around us had easy beats this week. If we can win we keep the gap we've earned. Next few weeks everyone has tougher games so we'll see a lot of games dropped by top 8 teams which hopefully eases the pressure on us.

Dufmack

Juniors
Any news on Simmons? Keep hearing his knee and concussion will rule him out, I assume Naiqama the replacement?

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
I hope it's not still pissing down, I've had enough of getting wet at the football for one season.

mxlegend99

Referee
going to be a horrible crowd. Monday night, against Cowboys with it pissing down. Pretty much anything that will effect the crowd has all hit at once to make sure it's lucky to be 5k people.