What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Roosters

stevosaints2010

Juniors
No the thing is that we remember to kick high to Dufty at every opportunity next year when we play the dogs. I hope Hook pencils that in as a reminder on the Dragons/dogs game day tactic sheet.
I bet Parramatta are quietly laughing at us offloading Norman. Who was the genius that recruited him on that sort of money even allowing for Parra paying part. While I like Hunt playing half I can't get over the $1.2m per year they are paying him

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It will be a real kick in the guts if Dufty is a stand out at the Bulldogs next season. Along with their strong recruitment for next year they could be contenders. With the current status of recruitment at the Dragons I am just tepid about the prospects next season. There is no one of the class of Tupou or Addo Carr available.
I'm prepared to stick my neck out and predict that, with the squad they've got, they still won't make the eight. If they somehow conjure a top, game managing half back between now and then (such as a Mitchell Pearce) I'll retract but not with Averillo or Kyle Flanagan running the show.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
More people would be glad of where we are than sorry for us. At least your brother is following a current decent team to keep interested into October. Our mob will be coming back and feeling sorry for themselves. It's good to have someone else in the family interested in league.

As I said, I have a brother who follows the Dragons, two other brothers who follow the Sea Eagles, a sister who follows the Bulldogs and the other sister follows the Eels so we are a mixed bunch and egg each other on.
Surely you don't communicate with your brothers who support the Sea Eagles!!! 😀

rasaint

Juniors
Some observations but preface comments that roosters too good at the end:
- Dufty did use his high end speed to back up Rava and catch a fair pass to score early in the match. Who else has looked at this and thought ‘where is the forward pass’. Most of those type of trys find the ball travels flat or forward over the ground. Didn’t rate a mention? by commentators; nice early big call favour of the chooks.
- Two loose carriers by the chooks forwards holding the ball one handed in twisty wrist motion for off load. Our guys simply locked the ball, no stripping. First one a no brainer to us but bunker said’inconclusive therefore chooks keep their challenge’. Joke. That allowed Taukeaiho to claim a strip in the same circumstances when he spilt a loose carry and surprise the bunker gave a penalty against us.Joke.
- Yes, Rava was very clumsy trying to jump catch a high ball and ended up landing on Teddy’s back. Rava was penalised. But Tupou has a high catch technique that involves jumping and cannoning into the opposition players body knee 1st before catching the ball. The hit on Rava was a terrible foul in my opinion. No mention at all by any commentator.
- Tupou’s 1 st try was off a forward pass from walker followed by the dodgy Harlem globe trotters put down. No commentato mentioned the slappy bouncing non grounding?. The bunker didn’t even slow it down.

- Piggy back penalties in 2 half sure helped chooks to get in range twice.

At the end of the day, we don’t have the cattle. Slow centres and wingers ( granted Rava is strong with some dash) and forwards who don’t eat metres. The one forward with a genuine strong carry was Paul V and he is gone.
Dragons please buy quality fast centres who can bust tackles.

Trifili13

Juniors
- Dufty did use his high end speed to back up Rava and catch a fair pass to score early in the match. Who else has looked at this and thought ‘where is the forward pass’. Most of those type of trys find the ball travels flat or forward over the ground. Didn’t rate a mention? by commentators; nice early big call favour of the chooks.
- Two loose carriers by the chooks forwards holding the ball one handed in twisty wrist motion for off load. Our guys simply locked the ball, no stripping. First one a no brainer to us but bunker said’inconclusive therefore chooks keep their challenge’. Joke. That allowed Taukeaiho to claim a strip in the same circumstances when he spilt a loose carry and surprise the bunker gave a penalty against us.Joke.
- Yes, Rava was very clumsy trying to jump catch a high ball and ended up landing on Teddy’s back. Rava was penalised. But Tupou has a high catch technique that involves jumping and cannoning into the opposition players body knee 1st before catching the ball. The hit on Rava was a terrible foul in my opinion. No mention at all by any commentator.
- Tupou’s 1 st try was off a forward pass from walker followed by the dodgy Harlem globe trotters put down. No commentato mentioned the slappy bouncing non grounding?. The bunker didn’t even slow it down.

At the end of the day, we don’t have the cattle. Slow centres and wingers ( granted Rava is strong with some dash) and forwards who don’t eat metres. The one forward with a genuine strong carry was Paul V and he is gone.
Agree with some of your comments.
The bunker going inconclusive is a joke. Never a stripping motion and they should have lost their challenge. The second one was basically identical but they overturned the refs decision and gave a penalty. The Dragon's had just hit the lead and had momentum and the Rooster's were struggling. That killed us and we know that we are not a team that is able to hold out against adversity. Instead of 40m or so out from their line with 6 tackles, we are suddenly defending. It's these dodgy decisions that the top teams get. Basically the bunker has overruled the ref twice for not agreeing with the strip on both occasions and somehow the Rooster's still had their challenge at the end of both the calls. A loss to the Rooster's in this game would have potentially meant them missing the top 4, I am sure we can all join the dots here.
I was watching the game with my young son and we both said the pass from Walker to Tupou was forward. He passes it from about 2 netres out yet Tupou had to stretch and was basically on the line when he caught it. And there was certainly no hint of the ball going backwards from the hands but floating forward due to Walker traveling at speed.
Don't really have an issue with Tupou jumping into Rava. I have more of an issue with Lomax not showing urgency and getting into position to block Tupou's run at the ball. A good centre would have realised that Tupou was the only one who had a play at it so it was an easy decision of what he had to do. It's not as if there were multiple chasers. It was obvious that any winger would have had difficulty catching the ball facing the sun so Lomax should have helped him.

Dragon David

First Grade

Your comments rasaint are exactly how I see how several events happened and the consequences and lack of being played out in this game against the Roosters. Our commentary in our beloved forum over many years has had the same dialogue over and over like a stuck record. Unfair that, dodgy this, what if that, why, why? Many things just don't go our way.

I wasn't a forum viewer unfortunately in the days of Bennett. How was the commentary back then on the forum? I bet it was tons better than now.

denis preston

First Grade
I bet Parramatta are quietly laughing at us offloading Norman. Who was the genius that recruited him on that sort of money even allowing for Parra paying part. While I like Hunt playing half I can't get over the $1.2m per year they are paying him
Every club has it's cap glogger. Amazing how many players who are on over 700k a year in the NRL and giving only half of that at best, in value. As for Hunt what's this1.2 mill ? Always has put in and has been by far our best player for 2 of the 4 years with us. Not his fault we have put a soft forward pack in front of him.

stevosaints2010

Juniors
$9:50ks is the amount.
CC
$950k for Norman are you kidding ? Maybe he is worth $50k in reserve grade
Every club has it's cap glogger. Amazing how many players who are on over 700k a year in the NRL and giving only half of that at best, in value. As for Hunt what's this1.2 mill ? Always has put in and has been by far our best player for 2 of the 4 years with us. Not his fault we have put a soft forward pack in front of him.
That was what I was told recently however he took a pay cut and getting a little less now

Latest posts