What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 12th August 3pm @Barlow Park

Steenson123

Juniors
Demetriou
Gallery - Round 24 Gym Session: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-round-24-gym-session

Wot about this Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/wot-about-this-round-24

Demetriou's desperate bid to stop Souths slide as soft touch backfires - Jimmy Brings: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/1a54336441390d8fd849a25c9de1284b

Yea, I'm sure a game of basketball is gonna fix it. Far out man. I hope there's a lot more going on behind closed doors than that.
Demetriou appears out of his depth.
He seems to have lost his way after that 8-3 start and he stated that he was concerned about the SOO period. Demetriou should be on a very short leash, the amount of unforced errors and lack of defensive effort wreaks of a Coach not being listened to.

Nafedogg

Juniors
I really hope next season we really look at taking these games away from home. I mean I get other fans want to see the team play, but this amount of travel seems to kill us. Look at the broncos who have played 18 of 27 rounds in qld….

Something needs to be looked at I reckon.

callmack1

Staff member
Far out that was bad. Really bad. I honestly feel like we were worse than last week and very lucky that we were playing the Dragons. Errors and poor attitude again. Seriously, I can't believe we turned up like that again.

Just relief at this point. So friggin relived to just get the two points and get out of there. A win's a win as they say but jeez, we have some work to do. Not good at all.

Now I'm off to a 21st party. Thank god we won or I'd be a miserable mess.

Nafedogg

Juniors
Extremely ugly, but a crucial 2 points. I have to say the major concern I’m seeing in these games is the constant over running of plays! It’s almost like every game it’s a team of new players trying to play together. So many times today the next man out was in front of the man with the ball. Frustrating as hell as the boys need to be ready for that offload or pass.

Hellray

Juniors
Extremely ugly, but a crucial 2 points. I have to say the major concern I’m seeing in these games is the constant over running of plays! It’s almost like every game it’s a team of new players trying to play together. So many times today the next man out was in front of the man with the ball. Frustrating as hell as the boys need to be ready for that offload or pass.

Agreed lots of flat or forward passes what also is really hurting us is how many times we fail to complete the following set after we do conjure up a try.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Far out that was bad. Really bad. I honestly feel like we were worse than last week and very lucky that we were playing the Dragons. Errors and poor attitude again. Seriously, I can't believe we turned up like that again.

Just relief at this point. So friggin relived to just get the two points and get out of there. A win's a win as they say but jeez, we have some work to do. Not good at all.

Now I'm off to a 21st party. Thank god we won or I'd be a miserable mess.
Excruciatingly bad - nothing to celebrate with that performance !!
The Dragons are a basket case and we bumbled our way through a totally inept performance.
The passion and desire has totally evaporated from earlier in the season and I agree at times we look like we have never played with each other…..

Steenson123

Juniors
Special mention to Shick Mitchell. Without his grinding runs we probably lose this he was tremendous. I do not know why Demetriou persists with UNDERSIZED packs. Play Mitchell and Suluka-Fifita they provide size and aggression. At least put BOTH on la banc if Tatola and Sele return. Where are those two?

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Take three starting front rowers out of any team and tell me how you think they will go. Still apart from that we were pretty ordinary. Stretch looks very broken. Bright light,,,, Shaq best on field again,,,, his brothers full back positional play in defence needs tightening,,,to say the least. At least we are still just hanging in there with a lot of room for improvement.

handyman2190

Bench
I think we should all take a breath, forget any expectations, we dont deserve to be in the 8 and have no chance next week or against the roosters, weve lost it,injurys, form, being constantly on the road, its all taken a toll, and if this dosent prove we need a few recruits i dont know what will

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs scrap their way to crucial win in Cairns: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-scrap-their-way-to-crucial-win-in-cairns

Press Conference - Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/press-conference-rabbitohs-round-24-2023

'Been a tough week' - Demetriou says Souths 'not far away' from best despite scrappy win: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/2420b66517753a49bafd992beae0eaeb

A few concerning comments in that press conference for mine. There's no way you can honestly say we're not far away. We're literally friggin miles away from our best. And to say that they were proud with the defence? I don't feel proud of it at all. Yea, we turned them away a lot but all three of those tries were pretty soft and we were playing the Dragons who aren't exactly a great attacking side. Those are some concerning comments in my opinion.

'Poor' Souths find a way amid 'confusing' try call, star closes in on history - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...i/news-story/aecaf607e4342dda213abb5283525230

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Rabbitohs scrap their way to crucial win in Cairns: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-scrap-their-way-to-crucial-win-in-cairns

Press Conference - Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/press-conference-rabbitohs-round-24-2023

'Been a tough week' - Demetriou says Souths 'not far away' from best despite scrappy win: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/2420b66517753a49bafd992beae0eaeb

A few concerning comments in that press conference for mine. There's no way you can honestly say we're not far away. We're literally friggin miles away from our best. And to say that they were proud with the defence? I don't feel proud of it at all. Yea, we turned them away a lot but all three of those tries were pretty soft and we were playing the Dragons who aren't exactly a great attacking side. Those are some concerning comments in my opinion.

'Poor' Souths find a way amid 'confusing' try call, star closes in on history - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...i/news-story/aecaf607e4342dda213abb5283525230
Some of the comments in the press conference were delusional.

If we are not far off playing at our best then our best is not very good !!

The errors and completion rate speak for themselves.

I am starting to get a little concerned with more than just our on field performance’s.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

We kind of all know the story of our attack yesterday and it's not the happiest of stories that's for sure.

I thought most of our struggles in attack last week were just a lack of effort and a bad attitude etc, but I don't think that was the case yesterday. The effort was all there with the ball yesterday, everyone was trying. It's just our execution was waaay off.

16 errors tells the story. That is just diabolical. Absolutely dreadful. I thought last week was bad, but it got even worse in this one. We made one more error than last week. So many of those were just a lack of simple execution and attention to detail too. A stack of forward passes, simple dropped balls that should have been taken or held on to, it was just really not good. I honestly believe that most of the struggles yesterday were because of errors. It wasn't like recent weeks where our timing was really out, or our shapes were off, it was just no execution and errors.

Our processes were good, and our shape looked alright. This shows by the number of tries we had pulled up because of a forward pass or a knock on. I honestly reckon we left about four tries out there yesterday, tries that if they were all scored, we'd be sitting here today happy as Larry saying we're back. But no, just a really bad game for errors and I don't know what to put that down to. One thing I do know is that is MUST improve. You simply cannot keep completing at under 75% and expect to win games against better sides. We're probably lucky we were playing the Dragons and they were just as bad. If we completed at say, 80%, I think we smash the Dragons.

We showed when we turned it on, we looked absolutely brilliant!! Some awesome tries when we nailed it. That just didn't happen often enough.

In terms of our yardage game, I thought it was a lot better. There was a lot more energy and effort out there. Still not nearly where it needs to be, we still looked tired and lethargic at times, but it was an improvement on that Sharks game. We made meters pretty well and rarely got trapped in our own end. Good to see the boys try a few different things to escape our end too.

All in all though, it was another poor attacking performance that watching live, left me wondering what the boys do at training. We are just about the best attacking side in the comp when we're on, but it has deserted us recently. Must improve.

Defence

Somewhat of a similar story to our attack in that it was better than recent weeks, but still way off where we need to be.

I think the effort, attitude and energy improved and this showed in our first contact which was better, as well as limiting the offloads. That was a clear area of focus as you constantly saw our defenders making an effort to wrap up the ball. However, I do think we still had some really poor showings with a real lack of urgency at times.

Our line speed is still really poor on average across the game. There were probably only about three or four sets there where the boys actually came flying in out of the line to really hammer them and trap them down their end. So, despite the improved effort, we still need to be better, and we still don't have anything close to that defensive steel back.

On the goal line, it was good to see us defend our errors and turn St George Illawarra away a number of times. Showed a bit of fight and resilience in those sets but I am wondering if that was more down to the Dragons poor attack, or our defence.

In saying that, still three tries that could have been avoided. They were pretty easy and soft. i'm particularly disappointed in their first try.

Player by Player

L.Mitchell: I think overall, he still had a poor game and I'm still not happy with him. Still not involved enough for mine as there were sets where he didn't touch the ball in good field position, and I often found myself saying "where is Latrell?" Still a number of times where he took the wrong option too, especially in that first half with the forced flick pass early in the set, and then putting in that really poor grubber that went dead and no one was ready for it. Disappointed with his efforts in defence at times too, especially on the Ben Hunt try as he wasn't in the picture at all and didn't even make an effort to get over there. In saying that, he did have a few moments of brilliance that we all know he can do. The first was that sublime catch-and-pass to AJ for our first try. That was very classy. The second was just about one of his best plays of the Season in the second half as he towered over Sloan to take that bomb and then in the one motion, pop a miracle ball to Cody to score. Honestly, that was superstar stuff, just wow. Only Trell can do something like that. he was very lucky to get away with the offside call though. Finally, another great ball late in the game to Tass which put him in a position to put AJ away and him and Tassy did the rest for our last try. So, look, I'm not going to beat around the bush, we still need batter.

Johnston: Pretty solid afternoon for AJ, he was good. His carries were pretty strong as he hardly got driven back and he put his hand up for plenty of work yesterday too. Pretty dangerous in any sort of space as not only did he streak away in a nice finish for two great tries, but he did his best each time there was an opportunity to set Tassy up too. Ultimately, those plays didn't come to anything, but he was trying. Awesome to see him bag another double and move his tally up to 187. Just three behind Slater now. His defence was pretty good with the only real negative being the poor arm-grabbing attempt on Suli when Ravalawa scored. I can't excuse that. very impressed with his effort a couple of plays before his second try though. Saved our arses by covering that kick, then just a few plays later, he goes up the other end and scores. Great stuff.

Tass: Not an awful lot to write home about for Tassy as he didn't have many massively stand out moments. However, that's not to say he had a bad game at all because he was actually pretty solid. Did his job, took his carries, proved a threat at times and his defence was okay. Again though, like AJ, a really poor effort on Suli for that try. Simply not good enough. He made up for it with his hand in AJ's second though. Twice in the one play, he summed it up perfectly to time his pass and put AJ away twice. Well done.

Graham: Pretty solid. Nothing super special but he did still have a good afternoon. His efforts with the ball are shown in the stats as he made 131 meters off 14 carries and a lot of those were the really tough runs that no one wants to do. But he played his part in getting us out of trouble really well with some big runs. Great try! Great hole running off Cody in that scrum play. We've seen them do that play before and once again, Stretch and Cody executed it well. Campbell's defence was very solid too, not a lot went past him despite the Dragons going down there a lot. Their third try probably tells you how important he is to that right edge defensively because he got caught at marker and Keaon and Taane didn't know what to do.

Milne: Speaking of Taane, I thought he was really, really good yesterday. Has hit ups especially were so friggin impressive. Ran so hard, with a lot of effort and aggression, and he made A LOT of meters. And I mean a lot! 233 in fact! That is a huge effort, and you really have to tip your hat to Taane for that. It's Brian To'o like. For that reason alone, he was one of our better players yesterday. His defence was okay and he only got caught out once for the Dragons third try. That was pretty bad though, he didn't need to rush in like that at all. In saying that, a very good afternoon for Taane and I think he well and truly justified his place in the side. I'm proud of him.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Another reasonably poor afternoon from Cody. By his standards anyway. He just looks to have a bit of a poor attitude at the moment for mine. He looks grumpy and doesn't look like he's enjoying his Footy. It's a bit of a worry because I think he's returned to early 2022 levels where he just wasn't good at all. Again yesterday, he struggled for much of the game as he made a few very average errors, threw some poor passes and just generally failed to create. Well, a lot less than we've come to expect from him anyway. It's a big reason why our attack struggled. In saying that, there was still enough moments of class there from Cody to get the job done. Nice tempo and execution shown by him in his role in our first try, put Stretch over in the second half with some beautiful ball playing, and then awesome awareness to put himself in a position to receive that ball off Trell and score that try. That was great stuff. But man, I don't know what's going on with Cody at the moment, he seems to have lost is mojo after Origin which is weird as you'd think he'd go to another level.

Ilias: Little bit of a mixed game. I'll go with the bad first. He did make a couple of really poor errors, one was coming out of our own end when he dropped that pass, and another was the pass that went to no one which allowed the Dragons to scoot downfield and score off the next play or two. That was just really bad, no idea what Lachy was doing there. Then there was the three times he let the kick of bounce, one of which cost us dearly. Of course, he did also drop the ball going for a try late in the game, but I can forgive that. The rest of his game was really good!! Apart from those errors, he executed his personal role really well in attack and I thought his kicking game was actually really good. One bad kick but that's about it. The rest were exactly what you want from him. I was especially impressed with the grubber he put in in the first half as he changed his mind on the fly, but still executed it perfectly. Should have been a line drop out but got a dubious call from the ref. His defence was top notch too so well done there.

Arrow: Really good again. Hats off to him honestly. Clearly still hampered by that back issue but put in a big effort to get out there and play a big part in the win through the middle. 11 runs for 114 meters in his two stints which is pretty good. A real workhorse in defence all afternoon too. However, he did make a couple of uncharacteristic errors which was disappointing.

Cook: Cooky was really good yesterday, one of our best for sure and that is probably his best game in a number of weeks. One bad ball all game, but apart from that, his service was crisp, and he brought the boys onto the ball well. We saw his running game return too. Although the stats show he only made 64 meters, it certainly feels like he made a lot more than that because we saw him run a lot more than he has been. Constantly got out and challenged the markers, asked a lot of questions of the Dragons' defence which was really great to see for the first time in a while. Even when he didn't run as such, he showed some good deception in faking one way, before going the other. He really did play an integral role in trying to spark our attack. Of course, as always, he was his usual self in defence too.

S.Mitchell: Very impressive. Really, really good stuff from Shaq. So much so, that I actually think he was our best forward in the time he spent on the field. I would have liked to have seen him play more minutes to be honest. he just had such a big impact on the game, really helped to lay a platform through the middle and he led the way over anyone else there. carried with a lot of purpose and there was a number of times he made great post-contact meters by keeping those big legs pumping too. 12 runs for 139 meters is awesome. Well done, Shaq!

Koloamatangi: Another average showing. Despite making great meters with 160, I felt like he failed to impact the game like he normally does. He wasn't really a threat with the ball, the Dragons covered him up well and he was pretty ineffective. Two more errors, one of which was really poor, he simply wasn't focusing. Plenty of lazy efforts in defence too, Lachy saved his ass plenty of times. Really disappointed in him, after Origin too. Needs to step up big time.

Host: Not a lot to say about Hosty but he went okay. A good, solid performance. Doesn't really add much to the side to be fair though.

Murray: Very good again. Just your typical, consistent performance from the skipper. His ball playing through the middle was really good, particularly for our first and last tries, and his carries were also very impressive. A number of quick play-the-balls in there. Combined with his middle forwards pretty well. Still can't believe he was pinged for that forward pass. His usual brilliant self in defence through the middle too with 38 tackles made and only 1 miss.

Duncan: More minutes this week and had a very good performance. No real highlights but certainly showed that not only can he handle that level, but that he belongs at that level. very classy in everything he did once again.

Lovett: Not a lot to say about Benny, limited minutes but he went okay. Didn't let anyone down.

Havili: Pretty good again. Awesome impact again off the bench however, I can't excuse his error off the kickoff.

Moale: Davvy has kind of lost me a bit in the last eight weeks or so. He started the year really well but has unfortunately gone backwards since. Has failed to have any sort of impact on a game and that was the case again yesterday.

Ugly performance, we are miles away from our best right now and it's still not good enough. We have A LOT of work to do.

But a win's a win, that's all I'm gonna say.

Steenson123

Juniors
How do
I think we should all take a breath, forget any expectations, we dont deserve to be in the 8 and have no chance next week or against the roosters, weve lost it,injurys, form, being constantly on the road, its all taken a toll, and if this dosent prove we need a few recruits i dont know what will
How do you explain the 8-3 start which included against Penrith twice v Bellamy twice at Cronulla at Brisbane and the fact that we have torpedoed ALL TOP THREE squads?? Cannot do this with an inferior roster cannot be done. Plus we are the ONLY team to have put 20 or more on Cleary when they have almost all starters available. No one else has been able to do this not even approaching that level.
I believe Demetriou made many inexperienced errors after that 8-3 start. For example, he played Mitchell at lock when he is a strong, rugged hard to stop prop still learing the position but very willing. He also played Hawkins at 5/8 TWICE when Hawkins is ONLY a one game half with a decent kicking game. Taaffe was never put in his correct position, in the halves and he is never going to be a FB!! Look at Dane Laurie... Marshall knows he is NOT a FB but look how dangerous Laurie is up close using his step and speed. Surely Taaffe could emulate Laurie but instead Demetriou stuck to what was failing!!. Further he continually changed the line-ups indicating inexperience and lack of faith in back-up players.
Demetriou has a few games to correct some of his errors. He needs to select a much BIGGER pack and get both Mitchell and Suluka-Fifita involved. Get rid of Jed and Chee-Kam they are cooked. It all starts up front and Demetriou and the coaching staff need to focus more on SIZE and POWER than fancy ball movements, athletic back rowers and a dangerous passing attack.
We will likely be done in early September however Demetriou must indicate he is prepared to control selections and the style of play rather than allow a few of the bigger names to merely show off their talents and skill here and there. I do not need to mention the player names: Demetriou needs to stamp his authority over the squad and make smart choices.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
Listen all.
EVERYTHING would be different had we won say 2/3 v Canberra, Canterbury and St George. But we lost all of them and it was largely due to poor Coaching and preparation. I mean would Bellamy or Cleary rely on Hawkins-Kennar in the backline or Shick Mitchell at #13 TWICE against no-hoper teams?? Would they have continually played Taaffe at FB for 5-6 games knowing he is actually a half or 5/8?? Cannot see them making such idiotic selections so why did Demetriou do it?? There were other options. Compounding this was the Policy of allowing several players to have lengthy periods in R & R, probaly taking the edge off the entire squad. Again, Demetriou made dumb decisions and the squad got gazumpled!!.

Steenson123

Juniors
Dane Laurie, played up close and NOT at FB would be a very dangerous player in a winning side. Look at how Marshall has transformed the guy. The same was never done for Taaffe.