What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 12th August 3pm @Barlow Park

callmack1

Staff member
Thank God it's Monday which means a fresh week and a fresh game to look forward to. We need to take our learnings from the Sharks game of course, but drop it otherwise, lick our wounds, get back into the swing of things and get ready to go again this weekend as we have another monster clash coming up. We face the Dragons on Saturday afternoon at Barlow Park in Cairns. I believe this is the first time we've played there since 2018, I think? Anyways, this game shouldn't really be a monster clash but with our current predicament, it is. An absolutely massive game that is now critical to our Finals hopes. You don't need me to tell you it's a must win. We're getting to the point now where any dropped game is huge, and we cannot afford to drop this one. The pressure really is on.

I don't think this will be an easy win either. yea, St George Illawarra are still struggling, however, I have noticed a lift in their intensity lately. They're all playing for pride, all playing for contracts, and all playing to impress the new coach for next year. We can't underestimate how important that is for them. So, I do not think this will be an easy win, we're going to have to work for it.

But you know what? It might be one of the biggest cliche's in Rugby League, but this week really isn't about the Dragons at all. This week is all about focusing on us and our own performance. As I said, that's a massive cliche' but it is so true this week. St George will bring what they bring, but we have control over what we bring to the game, and we need to be so much better. Honestly, we've been terrible lately. Diabolical, awful, putrid, whatever you want to say, and we all know it. It's getting to the point where our Season is slipping away very, very quickly. We shouldn't even be in this position, but we are with three wins out of our last nine games. Shocking. I say enough is enough. I'm sick of it, absolutely sick of it. This game is a real line in the sand moment and the boys have to decide where they go from here. Our destiny is all up to us, but do they want it bad enough?

We have to see that want this weekend; we really do. This losing run is all because of our shitty attitude and that MUST change this weekend. Get yourselves up for the game, turn up switched on, fired up and ready to go. There's no excuse not to this time, our Season is genuinely on the line. If we get our attitude right, and I've been saying this a lot because it's been the case all year, we win, simples. It really is that simple, but the lads haven't been able to do it lately. Well, enough is enough, sort it out this weekend. I'm not even going to go into how we beat the Dragons yet or how we actual break them down, that can come later in the week. Right now, we need an attitude adjustment first and foremost. This is a game we really should be winning but we won't if the players don't get it right between their ears. It's crucial.

As I have said, this will be more of a challenge than some think and it's made even harder by some fresh injury and suspension woes. We're probably going to be missing Jai and Tommy B on top of already missing Junior and Hame. So, if the forwards ever needed to step up, the time is now. I'm also sick of seeing our senior players sit back and be passengers. This is your week boys, own it.

All is not lost yet. It's getting close to it, we're on life support, but a win this weekend and things start to look a wee bit better. It's so crucial. There has to be some sort of response this week surely, there has to be.

Big game, big day, big week. A big line in the sand week. Let's go win it.

Glory, Glory.

handyman2190

Bench
Souths at NRL crossroads as bad 'attitude' rears head - Talking Points: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c29b7030887aeaf072acc2bd2d5551df

I'm glad this is finally getting called out by the mainstream media and not just by us fans. The boys better friggin respond this week.

Gal - Don't blame Latrell, Walker for Souths' slide: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...xclusive/864decaa-a704-4dd4-ad4e-b6f2cb5f3656
Sorry bro,thete will be no response this week, and no more wins,sadly

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 24 against the Dragons,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Munro
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Moale
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Havili
16. Duncan
17. S.Mitchell

Hopefully this is the side we see named tomorrow. Most of it will remain the same, I can't see too much changing.

I think they'll name Jai and see how he goes. Davvy starts for mine as he hasn't been going well as impact off the bench. Shaq and DSF come into the side on the bench.

If Jai isn't good to go, Keaon is going to have to play middle with DSF coming onto the bench.

I wouldn't mind seeing Davvy dropped for DSF anyway, but I don't think it will happen.

We'll see tomorrow.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 24 against Dragons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-24-against-dragons

Fire up! It's team list Tuesday!!

Pretty interesting one this week with a few changes being made to the side. Some of the forced, some of them unforced. However, I think overall, I am happy with the side named.

The team is mostly the same, but the main changes are Taane in for Ty, Shaq in for Tom and Hosty in for Cheeks.

Obviously, Ty Ty has been dropped for Taane. While I do think it is a little rough on the young bloke, I don't really disagree with the decision. Let's be honest, Munro had a real learning night last week. It was a tough game for him, and he made a number of crucial errors. I think it was a bit of a reality check. I love him and I do genuinely think he's going to be an absolute superstar, but we have to remember that right now, he's a work in progress, especially defensively. I think that's the main reason why he's been left out of the side. Perhaps, despite his attacking exploits, that is too much of a risk and too much of an ask to play him at this crucial stage of the year. Maybe he becomes a project for next Season. I don't see this as a dropping as such, it's more a 'you've had a taste, go back and work on your game and come back stronger.' A similar thing happened with Tass last year and it worked. Personally, I like Taane and he has become much safer than he was in the past. I think a lot of people forget he was our winger throughout our great part of the Season and didn't do a lot wrong. Happy for him to come back in.

Shaq in for Tom is a forced change, but it was an obvious one. Great to see him back, can't wait to see him rip in again. Chee Kam must be injured again so Hosty comes back with hopefully, a bit of fire in the belly after he was dropped.

Also, great to see Jai named!! That's a big help. Of course, it doesn't mean he's certain to play but it's a positive sign.

I can't complain with the team. Hopefully we see a much better attitude, that's the biggest thing, more so than any team selections and changes.

Steenson123

Juniors
Where is Tatola? Saved for the off-season? And Sele? On Holiday?
Why bother with Jed Cartwrong. He is a dud. Suluka-Fifita and Shick Mitchell would at least provide some grunt and size as both did against Canberra in Rd 13. In that game BOTH turned the game around so I play BOTH of them here and let them rip in. Tell them one thing: DOMINATE!!
Moale needs to get a Firestorm put up him. Come on Man you are YOUNG and LARGE bodied DO SOMETHING such as offload and put a back over to score or clock an opponent don't just amble around as in Park Football. Things are desperate, too tight.
Murray Cook and Walker need to lift dramatically. As does Kaloa. All four excelled 5 weeks ago for Brad but have laid an Egg since. All 4 of these guys need to show something or the season will end in Cairns.

Steenson123

Juniors
Molae
Here's my predicted line up for Round 24 against the Dragons,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Munro
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Moale
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Havili
16. Duncan
17. S.Mitchell

Hopefully this is the side we see named tomorrow. Most of it will remain the same, I can't see too much changing.

I think they'll name Jai and see how he goes. Davvy starts for mine as he hasn't been going well as impact off the bench. Shaq and DSF come into the side on the bench.

If Jai isn't good to go, Keaon is going to have to play middle with DSF coming onto the bench.

I wouldn't mind seeing Davvy dropped for DSF anyway, but I don't think it will happen.

Moale needs to be singled out. The guy has been around for what two season and he has not developed a strong game. Develop an offload, clock an opponent do something that will impact the outcome instead of simply ambling around!!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 24 against Dragons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-24-against-dragons

Fire up! It's team list Tuesday!!

Pretty interesting one this week with a few changes being made to the side. Some of the forced, some of them unforced. However, I think overall, I am happy with the side named.

The team is mostly the same, but the main changes are Taane in for Ty, Shaq in for Tom and Hosty in for Cheeks.

Obviously, Ty Ty has been dropped for Taane. While I do think it is a little rough on the young bloke, I don't really disagree with the decision. Let's be honest, Munro had a real learning night last week. It was a tough game for him, and he made a number of crucial errors. I think it was a bit of a reality check. I love him and I do genuinely think he's going to be an absolute superstar, but we have to remember that right now, he's a work in progress, especially defensively. I think that's the main reason why he's been left out of the side. Perhaps, despite his attacking exploits, that is too much of a risk and too much of an ask to play him at this crucial stage of the year. Maybe he becomes a project for next Season. I don't see this as a dropping as such, it's more a 'you've had a taste, go back and work on your game and come back stronger.' A similar thing happened with Tass last year and it worked. Personally, I like Taane and he has become much safer than he was in the past. I think a lot of people forget he was our winger throughout our great part of the Season and didn't do a lot wrong. Happy for him to come back in.

Shaq in for Tom is a forced change, but it was an obvious one. Great to see him back, can't wait to see him rip in again. Chee Kam must be injured again so Hosty comes back with hopefully, a bit of fire in the belly after he was dropped.

Also, great to see Jai named!! That's a big help. Of course, it doesn't mean he's certain to play but it's a positive sign.

I can't complain with the team. Hopefully we see a much better attitude, that's the biggest thing, more so than any team selections and changes.
Moale needs to be singled out. Been around for two seaons in and out a A Grade but he does zero!! Develop an offload, watch film of Beetson learn some tricks, clock an opponent watch Ben Teo'o highlights LEARN AN DO MORE THAN SIMPLY IDLING AROUNG THE FIELD!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Jai Arrow Media Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/jai-arrow-media-round-24

Damien Cook Media Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/damien-cook-media-round-24

Isaiah Tass Media Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/isaiah-tass-media-round-24

I like the honest talk from Jai there, he made some good assessments of where we're currently at. Even said Gus' comments last night were a fair call. Cooky had some good words too. Thing is though, this is all just chat. We've heard it for ten weeks now. I want action.

Gus' brutal message for 'very lazy' Bunnies: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...e-finals/c2f9ee02-84de-49ab-92a8-0735c6377265

I have no issue with those comments, couldn't agree more to be honest. Very fair call.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou Round 24 Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/jason-demetriou-round-24-media

Not exactly stoked to hear JD say that about our defence, that it's just due to our discipline. Of course, that is a big part of it but I think it's mainly attitude in all defensive areas. Hopefully it's been addressed internally.

Gallery - Round 24 Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-round-24-captains-run

Jai out there training!! Looks like he'll play tomorrow which is huge!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well rise and shine my fellow Souths faithful Game Day is upon us again. What an enormous one it is as we all know it’s pretty much do or die for us this is an absolute must win game no two ways about it. We simply cannot lose otherwise we are fully done and I dont think we can make the 8 if we lose here. So we have lost 7 of our last 10 matches and a lot of heat has been coming onto the club in the media over this last week and to be fair I think nearly all of it has been warranted criticism. If we don’t see a win today then I’ll be disgusted and I do not think we will win another game if we drop todays. This is pretty much the final line in the sand moment. For us it’s all about how much the boys want it and our attitude which has been off as we all know. It’s about attitude to everything we do in both defence and in attack. If all the boys band together I know we have the team that can do it. We have heard the boys say all the things they should around wanting to improve and that we have it in us, but as we know talk is cheap and what we need now is action.

Looking at the Dragons they have quite a number of key guys out but they’ve been playing better the last couple of weeks playing for another contract to stay at the club under Flanagan or playing to secure a contract elsewhere/potentially playing for their NRL careers so absolutely they’ll be desperate play with plenty of energy and looking to put their best foot forward. As always Bunt and Sloan are big dangers for them so we need to shut them down as best as we can and put pressure on them. Looking at us that first 20mins is so important. We just haven’t been starting games well for a couple of months now. It all starts with winning that battle in the middle completing our sets but also I feel like we can be too conservative at times and we need to ask some more questions of the opposition rather than just going one out all the time. In defence it’s all about wanting to work for one another and we need to find that defensive resolve we had from earlier in the season. Limiting offloads will be key as well of course that’s killed us as well in recent weeks. Really we need to improve in all areas of our game kick chase, line speed and our attack needs to be a bit more free flowing because it’s been off the boil lately.

Ok not long til the players come out here onto Barlow Park here in Cairns on this lovely Saturday Arvo. Great to see so much red and green in the stands up here today it’s a good turnout. Lets do all we can by making plenty of noise for the full 80mins to get our boys in the Mighty Cardinal and Myrtle over the line here and go one step closer to securing our spot in that all important top 8.

Ok Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters………….. please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the St George Illawarra Dragons…….

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1………….

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFFEEEETTTTT…….. SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YA FEET AND SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT…….. HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RRRAAABBBIIITTTOOHHHSSSSSS…….

LETS GO RRRRAAABBBBBIIITTTTOOOHHHSSSSSS!!!

BBBOOOOOOOO GET EM ONSIDE CUMMINS HAVE A LOOK MATE

HIGH TACKLE BBBBBBOOOOOOOO

WHERE IS OUR PENALTY BEN BBBBBBBBOOOOO HOW LONG CAN THEY HOLD ON FOR

SECOND EFFORT BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHERE IS OUR SIX AGAIN

TOUCHIE THATS FOWARD THATS FORWARD OPEN YOUR EYES BBBBOOOOOOOOOOO

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

GGGOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY

GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG

SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY

callmack1

Staff member
Here we are, game day once again. Get up, get you colours on, and get moving Souths members and fans as a monumental day in our year is now upon us. We take on one of our old foes and one of our most traditional rivals this afternoon in the Dragons in what has become an absolute must win game. I've got to say, I've woken up extremely nervous, probably the most nervous I've been for any game this year, doesn't that tell you something about where we're currently at.

This is a real line in the sand game for us this afternoon in Cairns. Win, and we can move on with some hope, win well, we can possibly start looking forward to things again. However, lose, which I can't even bare to think about right now, and we're officially done. If we can't beat the Red V with literally everything on the line, then you can put a line through us. We're at a crossroad in our Season and it's up to the 17 men wearing Red and Green today to decide where we go. I still can't believe we're in this position, but we are. It's all about how we drag ourselves out of it now. Today is crucial to that.

I'm not focusing too much on the Dragons because they will bring what they will bring and we need to be wary of that, but this week, today, is all about us and our own performance. It really does need to be the old cliche' today of 'focus on yourselves.' However, I do believe, in our current state, St George Illawarra do pose a real threat. They're down the bottom of the ladder and could be seen as struggling but I do think they're playing some decent Footy at the moment. Just look at the way they really tested Parra last week. They were massively up for that and gave it everything, I expect the same from them today. They'll really want to put a nail in their old rivals' coffin. I'm expecting to see them play a really expansive style of Footy today, particularly if it's fine weather. They have nothing to lose so will look to throw the ball around, play flat and fast, and offload as much as possible. That's not a style we handle particularly well, so I hope we can handle it today. If the Dragons get going and get their tails up, there's plenty of talent in their side that can be pretty hard to stop. Their halves can be lethal, Ben Hunt especially, while outside backs like Suli and Ravalawa are a worry. Their pack is pretty decent too, while a bit depleted.

For us, it has reached the point where enough is enough. It's reached the point where we're all sick of the way we've been going, we're all sick of the shitty attitude and it's time that changed. It has to change, there's no two ways about it. If we don't get some sort of response from our team today, when literally everything in 2023 is on the line, then I'm done with them. Surely the boys will show something. I just want to see a performance that we all know we're capable of. That starts with the attitude. This is the main thing. We have to nail our attitude today. No more excuses. Turn up fired up and ready to go, switch on and put some pride back in that jersey. I want to see a focused, disciplined performance, surely that can't be that hard to do. And of course, defence is the biggest thing. It's a real concern because we've all been banging on about it for weeks now, but nothing has changed. It MUST change today. Get that steel back, get that intensity back. Come on boys!!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel really desperate to win this game. I hope the boys are feeling the same. Line in the sand. Here we go!!!

Glory, Glory.

Hellray

Juniors
Cartwright was struggling with his back during warm ups and looked very uncomfortable while getting extra work on it.

Hot as F..k here at the ground and windy