What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 vs Newcastle Discussion & Voting

hooch is crazy

Juniors
That's what I mean. Why not just name them in alphabetical order if it's just about name on a page?

I'm just wondering whether Hodges showed more in training than Griffin was expecting and he changed his mind, or if he was foxing from the start.

Bretto

Bench
That's what I mean. Why not just name them in alphabetical order if it's just about name on a page?

I'm just wondering whether Hodges showed more in training than Griffin was expecting and he changed his mind, or if he was foxing from the start.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't think the coaches really care, to be honest. Griffin might have thought he was going to play Maranta at Fullback after the game last week, then sat down with Hodges on Wednesday or something and they made the decision, who knows.

DeeJ

Bench
Newspaper said that Hodges has trained at fullback all week and is likely to play there, with Copley in the centers and Maranta on the wing.

Also suggested they might just swap Hodges to fullback into attack, or in the opposition 40-20m.

DeeJ

Bench
Also I will be at the game this evening. Last time I saw Broncos vs Knights was 10 years ago where Gidley overcame his derp and kicked the winning field goal.

Big Pete

Referee
Quality finish.

As expected Hodges played at fullback and the Broncos recorded a win they used to be pretty famous for back in the day.

Still some issues but moving forward it's what they needed.

3. Justin Hodges
2. Corey Parker
1. Daniel Vidot

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Newcastle definitely contributed heavily to that win. Still, one of those rare nights when everyone is on the same page and playing with enthusiasm. The Hodges switch might just spark something special. He will overplay his hand quite a bit, though. Hunt needs to shove him out of the way when he does.

Hodges 3
Reed 2
Vidot 1

Kennedy's best in Brisbane colours. He can stay if he does that every week.

hellteam

First Grade
Once again Griffin only makes a change (Hodges to fullback) once he is forced into it. If he had made it midway through the year we would be pushing top 4.Too late now

Bronco18

Juniors
If he had made it midway through the year we would be pushing top 4.Too late now

Nein. Like Big Pete has been saying, our main problem isn't positional changes/recruitment or development. I do however agree that Hodges should have been placed in a playmaking role earlier.

Hodges at fullback wouldn't have stopped those 30-40+ points conceded against Penrith, Melbourne and Souths. It wouldn't have prevented all that dropped ball against the Eels, Manly and the Titans. It wouldn't have prevented all those times we've surrendered leads too (although we might've perhaps scored more points...).

Bronco18

Juniors
3. Hodges
2. Barba
1. Parker

Hodges might be the most natural footballer going around... I wonder if he'd be mentioned as one of his generation's best players if injuries hadn't cut him down so brutally. He'd be some player if he still had that lethal speed he had in his younger days.

Also can someone give Maranta credit for his pace now? He's still not blindingly quick, but that break down the sideline was a far cry from that game against the Storm last year, where he was mowed down by his opposite winger. I think I posted it before, but last year he was on a fitness plan and diet to put on weight which took away from his speed. I don't think his lack of pace has been shown up much this year...
He is a handy depth player.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Didn't see the game, but agree that whenever Griffin's hand is forced to make a decision on selection due to injury or suspension or Origin, it always works well for the team - every time.

This just underlines Griffin's weakness as a coach and a leader of men. He is incapable of making these decisions without being forced and that is no recipe for success at this level of sport.

From what I saw of the highlights Vidot's finishing is atrocious. What chance that he is groomed as a forward, because metre-eating is obviously his strength, not finishing.

So here we are in Round 24, and finally our two major imports have lived up to their expectations - Barba and Kennedy - TWENTY-FOUR rounds to achieve this!

Sorry, but this is just not good enough. And yes, I'm playing the devil's advocate on this forum, and one day hope to trade that job in to once again be a cheer leader.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It was like the old days last night.
Sure it was a very weakend opposition but meh.
Kennedy deserves some credit at last.
Ran the ball hard and did some damage.
His defense was still bog average at times.
The sims try for example.
Love hodgo that right foot step still has something.
I thought he was a standout.
3. Hodgo
2. Barba
1. Reed

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
To be fair on Barba he has had a couple of other good games and has shown glimpses. But what we saw from his last night I hope we can see more often.

No doubt Kennedy's best game for the Broncos. That's exactly what we need coming off the bench. Hope he can continue.

3. Hodges
2. Barba
1. Reed

Obviously playing a team a level below, but still impressive to pile on all those points in the wet.

Great lines by Oates but with Hoffman at 5-8 we never would have got that try.

Try off the kick off!!! When was the last time we did that?

Dazzat

First Grade
Combining Kennedy's and Barba's salary, who thinks we've been given value for money from the $700,000-$800,00 the club has paid them so far this year?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Combining Kennedy's and Barba's salary, who thinks we've been given value for money from the $700,000-$800,00 the club has paid them so far this year?

Yeah its been well below expectations but Barba has improved a lot recently and Kennedy had his best game yet last night.
At least there are some good signs now as opposed to a couple of months back.

Kiwi

First Grade

Really hard to say on Barba, look how better he is playing without Hoffman killing our attack. He isn't forced to over play and try to hard because of limited chances with the ball.

I think the Broncos have shown that when they play adlib footy they can really hurt teams, problem is the team selections have been hindering that for most of the year, only now ( apart from gillett and thaiday and I don't mean dropping them, swapping them back to where they started the year in form till they were changed ) are selections starting to make sense.

Dazzat

First Grade
Really hard to say on Barba, look how better he is playing without Hoffman killing our attack. He isn't forced to over play and try to hard because of limited chances with the ball.

I think the Broncos have shown that when they play adlib footy they can really hurt teams, problem is the team selections have been hindering that for most of the year, only now ( apart from gillett and thaiday and I don't mean dropping them, swapping them back to where they started the year in form till they were changed ) are selections starting to make sense.

Totally agree. Earlier in the year when he was playing fullback, one wonders what his instructions were. He looked lost. With Hoffman playing at 6 it was obvious the planned moves took second place to Hoffman running with the football. Where does that leave a fullback trying to chime into an attack?

At No. 6, at least he's more control over when he enters the attack.

With Kennedy - he must have taken some angry pills last night because up until then, he played with no heart and no passion. Rough calculation - I reckon we've paid him about $250-300 per metre made this year. Good work if you can get it.

hellteam

First Grade
Was interested to hear Griffin's comments on Hodges at fullback in the press conference. Basically said that Hodgo told him he wanted the responsibility of playing fullback. Sounds like we would have ended up with maranta at fullback otherwise...

Dazzat

First Grade
Was interested to hear Griffin's comments on Hodges at fullback in the press conference. Basically said that Hodgo told him he wanted the responsibility of playing fullback. Sounds like we would have ended up with maranta at fullback otherwise...

I think that sums up Griffin's coaching style right there.

Latest posts