What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Sharks

Dragon David

First Grade
Dolphins, Broncs loser gone for this,year next week
Storm might rest half team v Cows and Broncs.
But we win two and that's it we're are in.
Win tomorrow pressure is released knowing we need to win 1 of last 2.
I would have been a bit happier had the Eels beaten the Broncos last night. The Eels enabled the Broncos to have more breathing space and would be looking at downing the Dolphins next week and then the Storm, who will give the Broncos a bit more of a chance to make the 8 by playing without several of their players as they should have the minor premiership wrapped up.
The Knights are the ones that can make the 8 as well. All this is based on the Dragons having losses so let's go Dragons. Fire Up Your Bellies.

jeffdragon

Bench
I would have been a bit happier had the Eels beaten the Broncos last night. The Eels enabled the Broncos to have more breathing space and would be looking at downing the Dolphins next week and then the Storm, who will give the Broncos a bit more of a chance to make the 8 by playing without several of their players as they should have the minor premiership wrapped up.
The Knights are the ones that can make the 8 as well. All this is based on the Dragons having losses so let's go Dragons. Fire Up Your Bellies.
Yes David Parra stuffed it.
Bellamy will still want to win these last 2 games.
But let's not give them the chance.
Hopefully by this time tomorrow we are celebrating.

Last edited:

jeffdragon

Bench
Oh geezus don’t do that.
I can see us winning zero now.
Lose tomorrow and it’s over IMO.
Parra at commbank tough and Raiders may be playing for a spot in 8, they just beat Panthers.
Raiders play Chooks next week.
Even we will still be 8th after tomorrow.
We also may be playing for a spot in the 8 at Jubilee.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound paranoid or God forbid, a conspiracy theorist so I pray the NRL do not act like this, but its Peter V'Landys and he has but one motive (apart from his narcism) and Saints don't fit in his money plan....he will be desperate to have a Brisbane team in the finals and there's 2 of them we are up against. I'd love to be able to say 'Its in our hands if we make it' but maybe not.
When the V’Landys (Vlandis) family emigrated from Greece in the 60’s Peter’s father worked at the Steelworks. Peter went to Keira High, worked at the Unanderra Hotel, and graduated from Wollongong Uni. I’ve never caught word of his rugby league allegiance, but I’m certain there will be a place in his heart for the Illawarra.

Gunna be a good old tough game I reckon.
We're a funny(strange) team, even us as supporters don't know which team will turn up.
Your guys will be on full tilt, well they should be. If our guys are also on full tilt we will win, but If we aren't, and you are, then you'll definitely be in with a shot.
No hate from me.
Ben Hunt is a Sharks supporter.

The talk about the NRL manipulating the top 8 is crazy.
You reckon that the powers that be are informing the refs before each kick off who they’d prefer to win?
Cmon, I enjoy a conspiracy but that’s ridiculous.
Dragons have one of the biggest fan bases, why wouldn’t they want us to be there?
The NRL and commentators are against Dragons because they are jealous that we’ve won a record 11 premierships in a row and have the equal most amount of immortals. They wish their clubs had anything close to those achievements. You hear panthers 3 peat, eels 3 peat. Hardly hear much about Dragons historic 11 peat because they don’t want to glorify our success. We should make a banner “11 premierships in a row. Never before, never again“ so the twerps see it.

Crush

Coach
The NRL and commentators are against Dragons because they are jealous that we’ve won a record 11 premierships in a row and have the equal most amount of immortals. They wish their clubs had anything close to those achievements. You hear panthers 3 peat, eels 3 peat. Hardly hear much about Dragons historic 11 peat because they don’t want to glorify our success. We should make a banner “11 premierships in a row. Never before, never again“ so the twerps see it.
Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I’ve heard the NRL and commentators acknowledge the 11 in a row multiple times. They’ve also rightly so said it was in an era before salary cap and very different rules.
You can’t compare the 3 peats of NRL era with other runs prior to salary caps and new rules.
You can just acknowledge that what St George did to win 11 in a row will never happen again.

hewi

Bench

Shane Flanagan hated the Dragons. Now he’s on the other side of a fierce NRL derby​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

August 24, 2024 — 5.00pm
Save

Sharks favourites Paul Gallen and Andrew Fifita love the story Shane Flanagan rattled off every time Cronulla were due to meet “big brother” St George Illawarra.
“Flanno would tell us 40 per cent of the fans living in the Shire followed Cronulla, 40 per cent followed the Dragons and the other 20 per cent followed whoever won the first derby each year,” Gallen recalls.

https://archive.md/ICNel/again?url=...e-of-a-fierce-nrl-derby-20240823-p5k4wu.html#

Shane Flanagan takes aim at his former club the Cronulla Sharks a week out from his much-anticipated return to the Shire.
When you ask Flanagan about that yarn this week, he says: “Lies. What are they talking about? I told them the other 20 per cent go for Souths. How did they come up with that?”
Few men live for the Dragons-Sharks clash more than Flanagan. He could be the first person to arrive at WIN Stadium on Sunday, such is his excitement.

Flanagan, 58, was the Sharks coach when they won their only NRL title in 2016. But the two games he has circled on his calendar every season are those against Cronulla.
Now in charge at the Dragons, Flanagan could not resist reminding the Cronulla faithful earlier this year he is the only coach to deliver them premiership silverware.
It was a good theatre
The mind games didn’t work, however, because Cronulla won the round-nine clash 20-10. But it was still enough to upset the Sharks to the point they reportedly banned the mere mention of Flanagan’s name that week.

Gallen enjoyed the theatre in his time, too, as Flanagan inspired the Cronulla players with words such as “disrespected” and “underdogs”.
Cronulla were the blue-collar battlers, while the Dragons were the proud club with all the cash, 11 straight titles, 16 premierships in all and the honour roll featuring countless internationals.
“We were always known as little brother, and that will never change from a supporter’s point of view, no matter how well the two teams are going,” Gallen says. “They will always think they are better than the Sharks, and go back to their history.
“Flanno always spoke about that. It wasn’t another game to him. He would fire us up and tell us how we were never respected.
“Now that he’s on the other side of the fence, I wonder what he says to the Dragons players? I’m sure he’ll think of something. They’re fighting for their season. He’ll spin it somehow and find a way to get them up. He’s always been very good at motivating his players.”

Flanagan happily admits he adopted the David-versus-Goliath mentality when wearing the sky blue, black and white.
“The Dragons were always big brother,” he says. “We were the club that didn’t have a lot of money back then, the club that was going through a phase where football wasn’t a priority – survival was the key.
“It was always Dragons, Dragons, Dragons. It meant a lot back then to beat them.
“But it is different now. The competition table dictates that a little bit. The Sharks are playing well at the moment, and we haven’t played finals in a while.”
Flanagan spoke at a sponsors’ lunch at Little Felix, a flashy little restaurant in the city, on Friday – an eatery slightly more upmarket than the old King Wan in the Cronulla Leagues Club – and reminded those in the room the Dragons had achieved nothing yet.

They will be in the top eight if they defeat Cronulla. A win for the Sharks will keep the Shire outfit’s top-four hopes alive.
“They asked me how we’re feeling about the weekend, how happy they were with where we are at, and how they probably didn’t think we’d be where we are on the ladder,” Flanagan says.
“But I told them the job isn’t done yet, and if you’re an NRL coach who doesn’t expect to play in the finals, you shouldn’t be there.”
Flanagan had some standout derby memories. Surprisingly, one he couldn’t remember was his first derby as Cronulla coach, when Ben Pomeroy scored a double.
“And if Ben Pomeroy scored a double, it must have been a big night because he didn’t score many tries at all,” Flanagan says. “I loved the ‘Pom’. He was the biggest, strongest centre you’d seen.”

There was the night Brett Morris broke Cronulla hearts to score one of the tries of the century in 2014, and Fifita’s match-winner at WIN Stadium in 2013.
Here are four memorable derby moments from the knockabout coach’s time with both clubs.

Round 23, 2013: Fifita magic​

The Sharks trailed 18-16 at WIN Stadium when Fifita toed the ball through and regathered to score in the final minute to seal victory.

“I played the worst game ever – I was copping it left, right and centre – but in the final minute I got myself into the right position and showed how front-rowers are meant to beat the outside backs,” Fifita recalls.
“I think I blew off Jason Nightingale. I kicked it with my left foot – I’m right footed – so I showed I’m a man of many talents. It was Indigenous Round, so a bit of [Koori] knockout footy came out in me with that last play.
“There was one fan who sat behind our bench and gave it to me all night. When I scored, I turned and looked for him. That’s Dragons fans. They think they’re the big dogs.”

Round 3, 2014: Morris soars high​

Dragons flyer Brett Morris climbing high to score in the left corner at Shark Park remains one of the greatest finishes of all time.

Flanagan remembers the Sharks could not have done anything more defensively, and was almost tempted to applaud the Dragons winger while sitting in the opposition coaches box.
Morris is still asked about that try, but also gets just as much pleasure from catching up with Gallen for a beer, and reminding him of the day in 2010 a referee denied the forward a try. There is YouTube footage of Gallen claiming a try in the corner at Shark Park during a game in 2010, only to be told to play on. He remains convinced B-Moz saw him score. To make matters worse, Morris scored at the other end a few minutes later.

Round 12, 2015, Benji and Ennis the menace​

It takes a lot for Benji Marshall to become flustered, but he did one day when playing for the Dragons after Cronulla rake Mick Ennis crossed the line.

The pair were mates off the field and sat opposite each other every week on Fox Sports. But when Marshall gave away a penalty, and Ennis gave him a friendly shove, Marshall responded by slapping him across the face.
It was not the biggest crime, but another great moment from the fierce rivalry.

Round 2, 2017: Nene Mac-magic​

If Brett Morris’ finish was a 10 out of 10, Nene Macdonald’s effort in 2018 was at least a 9.5 out of 10.

Jeremy Latimore played for the Sharks and Dragons, and on this particular night, while wearing the Red V, had a hand in the try that brought back memories of Morris’ high-flying efforts a few years earlier.

“I did a hit-and-spin, offloaded to Gaz Widdop who did this hectic kick for Nene Macdonald, who came up with an acrobatic finish,” Latimore recalls. “It was at Shark Park on a Thursday night. That was a really good memory for me.”
Latimore remembers well Flanagan getting worked up for Dragons games, but also admired the way he rallied the troops against the Storm, whose rivalry with Cronulla was on par with St George Illawarra for a few years.
Like so many of the current Dragons, Latimore lived in the Shire when playing for St George Illawarra. Whenever the Dragons played at Cronulla, the team bus would travel from Wollongong and pick up the local players across the road from Woolooware Golf Club – but only after the locals had let them know exactly what they thought

Crush

Coach
Gunna be a good old tough game I reckon.
We're a funny(strange) team, even us as supporters don't know which team will turn up.
Your guys will be on full tilt, well they should be. If our guys are also on full tilt we will win, but If we aren't, and you are, then you'll definitely be in with a shot.
No hate from me.
Ben Hunt is a Sharks supporter.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Ben Hunt was a sharks supporter, he’s a weird dude, his favourite actor is Kevin Costner FFS, talk about bad taste.
On the teams, I kinda disagree with you here mate. I think Sharks are mostly consistent, hence the top 4 finishes regularly. You are well coached and hard to beat week in week out, because you play consistently. Mostly, every now and then you have a shocker but less than many teams that are hot and cold like us, Raiders, Manly etc etc.
BUT, sharks aren’t that good. Your roster is solid without being great. You don’t have any real Origin stars, you’re just a solid well coached footy team but won’t match it with the big boys at the business end.
Dragons play to their best and Sharks play to their best then Dragons win IMO.
However chances of Dragons playing to their best is low and Sharks is high, hence why you are favourites to win.

Latest posts