What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs. Parramatta Eels Pre-Match/Match/Post Match discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Isn't it good to come off a win? It's been a long time coming and doesn't it feel good? I think we all feel the same, we're unsure what to think. Sure it was a fairly convincing win however nothing matters until this match. Round 25 will prove if we are a premiership threat or not.

My team?

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Steven Michaels
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Darius Boyd
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Shane Perry
8. Shane Webcke
9. Shaun Berrigan
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Brad Thorn
12. David Stagg
13. Tonie Carroll

14. Corey Parker
15. Sam Thaiday
16. Ben Hannant
17. Casey McGuire

I've stuck with basically the same side just re-shuffling the backline to accomadate Hunt. Stagg deserves to start as he adds a lot in defence IMO and has improved a lot since coming back. Thaiday goes to the bench to create impact as I don't see Thorn being dropped to the bench after his performances.

Your sides?

Ghoulies

Bench
I don't see the point in dropping Thaiday to the bench after the early enthusiasm he has provided in the past few weeks (though I do agree with you on the improvement of Stagg).

1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. Tate (right)
4. Hodges (left)
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Perry
8. Webcke
9. Berrigan
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. Thorn
13. Carroll

14. Stagg
15. Parker
16. Hannant
17. Eastwood/Carlaw

There are those who are suggest the moving of K to the halfback role to accommodate Hodgo at fullback, but such a major positional change this late in the season would be pure folly.

salivor

First Grade
If we win this match we'll certainly have the confidence to win the premiership beating 2 of the 3 main premiership contenders and going close to beating the other. Whether we have the ability to break down sides attacking wise come finals time is another question.

I'd go with pretty much the side you've named except I'd drop Stagg and keep Carlaw who was at his hard running best on Friday, hard to drop him after that performance while Stagg just offers no impact or fear factor to the opposition. I'd start with Parker and have Jane on the bench.

That backline would also have to just about be the strongest we could name currently bar Tupou who when he comes back I'd have replace Boyd.

salivor

First Grade
Ghoulies said:
There are those who are suggest the moving of K to the halfback role to accommodate Hodgo at fullback, but such a major positional change this late in the season would be pure folly.

That's what the offseason's for, I think that's when we genuinely need to look at preparing him for the switch in season 2007.

Perry can't be an option IMO. McConnell is the only other option. Speaking of which, I notice he got a start last night against the Knights, did anyone get to see the match? I still haven't seen him in action, is there potential there?

broncoman

Juniors
Thaiday should stay in the starting line up, Hunt to fullback, Hodges to centre and Stagg to the bench, dont think we need any other changes...
Carlaw or Hannant to be the one to miss out.

Leagueguy

Juniors
1. Hodges
6. Hunt
7. Lockyer

Interesting concept, perhaps more likely that Hunt going to halfback and Lockyer staying at 5/8 Lockyer has actually gone into halfback a few times this year and looked very good there. He's our smartest player and would do very well there. The question is how much pressure could Hunt take off him playing outside him.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Warren Ryan is tipping a Storm vs Dogs/Broncos grand final. That surprised me. He's rating Brisbane a better chance than the Knights, Eels or Dragons.

Mr Saab

Referee
Round 25 makes or breaks the broncos season.
Lose and we are in 6th 7th 8th after round 26.
Win and we can be 3rd 4th and a home final (not that that means much in recent yrs wih the broncos home record in the semis) and a much needed 2nd chance

Leagueguy

Juniors
It would be awesome if we could get 3rd and play the Raiders or Sea Eagles. That would give us some confidence and the outside chance of going through to week 3.

renouf

Juniors
I think we'll really trouble Parra if they turn up... Berrigan out of dummy half is causing a lot of problems for oppositions and our forward pack shouldn't have any problems handling them. We need a home final..

1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Perry
8. Webcke
9. Berrigan
10. Civoncevia
11. Thorn
12. Thaiday
13. Carroll

14. Parker
15. Carlaw
16. Hannatt
17. McGuire

I can't see Stagg making the side to be honest.. Carlaw had an ok game and Bennett always gives him a go, plus his size is good

salivor

First Grade
The Eels looked pretty hot today, our defence has been rock solid the last couple of games but it's going to be hard keeping their scoring down as they can attack all over the field with their quick men out wide, the great cut out balls they throw and Riddell and Marsh probing up the middle. That'll be the key for us as we certainly don't have enough points in us to go tit for tat in a try scoring battle with them.

Leagueguy

Juniors
1 – Luke BURT vs Hunt (Advantage us)
2 – Jarryd HAYNE vs Boyd (Advantage them)
3 – Luke O’DWYER vs Hodges (Advantage us)
4 – Ben SMITH vs Tate (Advantage us)
5 – Eric GROTHE vs Michaels (Advantage them)
6 – John MORRIS vs Lockyer (Advantage us)
7 – Jeremy SMITH vs Perry (Advantage them)
8 – Nathan CAYLESS © vs Wecke (Advantage us)
9 – Mark RIDDELL vs Berrigan (Advantage us)
10 – Chad ROBINSON vs Petero (Advantage us)
11 – Nathan HINDMARSH vs Thorn (Advantage them)
12 – Daniel WAGON vs Thaiday (Advantage us)
13 – Glenn MORRISON vs Caroll(Advantage us)

14 – PJ MARSH vs Maguire (Advantage them)
15 - Dean WIDDERS vs Parker (Advantage them just)
16 – Wade McKINNON vs Carlaw/Eastwood (Advantage us)
17 – Josh CORDOBA vs Hanant (Advantage us)

Thats just looking at what the possible teams might be. Essentially in 17 positions I see us having an advantage over Parra in 11. Basically I think we have a much better team and should beat them if we play to our potential. Whether we do or not I have no idea. I have a good feeling though

renouf

Juniors
The eels are so successful because of that quick play the ball and the roll on they get.. they a bit like the Tigers with the running speed of every player in the side... you slow that up and they won't be as effective

salivor

First Grade
I'd agree with most of that, we definetly have a distinct advantage in the forwards but while when you look at it man for man the backline looks even I think they have a clear advantage in terms of the combinations and that's what wins football matches, not who has the best names on paper.

Smith-Morris is currently working much better than Lockyer-Perry. Tate may be a star but again the Smith-Grothe combination is working better (though Grothe did get pulled today interestingly enough) and on the otherside it's a similar situation with Hodges being a one man band compared to the Hayne-O'Dwyer combo who are stacking up the tries. I'd also say that Burt and McKinnon combined at fullback is better than Hunt who will be rusty coming back from injury.

Certainly though it's going to be a cracker, very even across the board. If we can reproduce the line speed we had against Melbourne and combine that with some of the increased creativity we found against the Doggies then we're a real show.

renouf

Juniors
Cayless may not play next week either.. possible fractured eye socket

so that makes their pack even smaller

parraknick

Juniors
If Parra play like they did today and the Broncos play like they did against the Dogs, the Broncos will easily beat Parra next week. They (parra) did not play all that well today.

Also Leagueguy, I generally agree with your list but I would say Cordoba is better than Hannant.

salivor

First Grade
parraknick said:
If Parra play like they did today and the Broncos play like they did against the Dogs, the Broncos will easily beat Parra next week. They (parra) did not play all that well today.

Also Leagueguy, I generally agree with your list but I would say Cordoba is better than Hannant.

Their defence could do with some work but until they clocked off at the 60 minute mark they were scoring at will and that's what scares me.

Latest posts