What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 (2008) Cougars v Ninjas

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Forum 7s - Round 3 2008
COUGARS v CHUCK NORRIS TEXAS DEATH NINJAS
jersey_cougars_1.gif
-v-
jersey_ninjas_1.gif

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named
ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 23 April 2008 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Pistol
Venue: Western Weekender
**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The Cougars have announced their side to take on the Ninjas.

Start

gunning_for_panthers (C)
Downie
t-ba
lockyno1
IanG

Bench

Griffo346
JS
110kpantherpower

NK Arsenal

Juniors
gunning_for_panthers takes the first hit up for the mighty Cougars.

Australia is becoming America’s 51st State

Australia is a country that is rich in history. For 40,000 or so years, our great land was home to hundreds of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tribes and unfortunately their culture is just almost extinct.

In 1788 the British took over Australia. Since Federation on 1 January 1901, we’ve been Australians and had our own culture. In fact, we don’t have a single culture; we are proudly a multicultural country.

Britain’s union jack is still in the corner of our flag because we are still part of the Commonwealth of Nations, although American culture is taking over Australia and unfortunately; the yanks are also taking over the greatest game of all - Rugby League.

AustFlagNew.gif

The Rugby League public don’t realise that that Americanisation is killing Rugby League because it’s a silent and giant killer.

The jerseys are becoming absolute ridiculous. I’m sick of these modern day jerseys. What happened to the good old jerseys with the V, stripes, hoops and bars?

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are a club that prides themselves on being a traditional club, but on their jerseys these days, they decide to have these stupid patches of white on the side of their home strip and black on their away strip. So much for 100 years of tradition eh!

And on away jerseys these days, most of the teams in the National Rugby League decide that they want to use a white jersey that has no link to their club colours. They choose to wear these stupid away jerseys, even when there is no clash with another team’s jersey. The same happens in the National Football League (NFL) in the United States.

Then we come to stadiums. Can somebody please tell me why the Canterbury Bulldogs, St George Illawarra Dragons, South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Wests Tigers all need to play out of an 80,000 seater stadium when they struggle to attract 20,000 fans to a regular season game.

Playing at large stadiums in American Football is good because their games actually sell out, ours don’t.

I love seeing a full ANZ Stadium on the television when I’m watching the Grand Final or a State of Origin match but regular season matches don’t sell out, so what is the reason for playing in a stadium where there is no atmosphere and no tradition?

Give me a full house at Kogarah Oval, Campbelltown Stadium, Belmore Sports Ground, Leichhardt Oval or Redfern Oval any day of the week!

Next, we have a pet hate of mine, extra time. It is ridiculous that we need to have extra time in our sport. Why did you install this Mr. Gallop?

The only reason it works in the NBA and the NHL in the States is because they aren’t experiencing a boring field goal a thon.

An old fashion draw is a lot better then a ten-minute period where teams take turn at kicking field goals.

Another thing that I am continually pissed off about is this challenge system that is now in place, which is modelled on the NFL’s challenge system.

We love Rugby League more than Rugby Union in this country because our code is more faster and more enjoyable than Rugby Union. This challenge system makes we want to put my fingers down my throat and spew.

It’s slowing down the game down to a speed that England’s ex-cricketer Geoff ‘boring’ Boycott would be proud of.

I’d rather a call go against my team then the game be called off for five minutes just so the video ref can make the correct decision.

0,,5986784,00.jpg

One thing that disgusted me when I woke up on Tuesday was seeing Rabbitohs coach Jason Taylor call his entire team to the sideline. I am shocked that he did not get a fine for bringing his team to the sideline because in my opinion he deserved to.

I don’t understand why Ricky Stuart defended Taylor in his column in The Sunday Telegraph.

Stuart even said that he wants this to become part of Rugby League’s future. If this team talk became part of Rugby League it would be a farce. Employing a time out system, which is used in American Football, Basketball, Baseball and Ice Hockey would not make our game enjoyable. It would do the total opposite.

Sometimes I get confused when I'm watching Rugby League. Am I watching NRL or NFL?

736 Words according to the official F7s word counter.

Sources:

http://www.geocities.com/daveclarkec...ustFlagNew.gif

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...-14823,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...016307,00.html

paulquinn49

Bench
CNTDN team for Round 3

paulquinn49 (c)
Edabomb (c)
Titties (c)
jamesgould (vc)
hallatia (vc)

Bench
Freddo (vc)
Azzman (vc)

edabomb

First Grade
If I Could Fall in Love Again….

You know it is true what they say in life, you can’t choose who you fall in love with. Take my first experience in love. There was the flashy meeting in 1993, the great moments of 1994. 1995 was looking like another Grand Final appearance until a slippery September afternoon intervened. That was twelve and a half years ago now, the last time my beloved Canberra Raiders realistically contended for a National Rugby League title. Sure there have been good times since, the aberrations of 2000 and 2003 were great to watch at their peaks, but my club has now been stuck in a decade of mediocrity. So if I were a rugby league novice finding a team to support who would tickle my fancy out of the current bunch?

There are a few times I’m hoping my friends would swear me off. These would include the Sharks, Rabbitohs and sadly the Raiders. So this leaves me with thirteen contenders. I can cross of the Titans, new kids on the block but no history! Sure they’ve thieved the stats of previous Gold Coast incarnations, but that doesn’t give them a back-story. The Storm are similarly a new side, and while they are undoubtedly the premier side in the competition these days, their ground it out style really doesn’t do it for me. Warriors? Too hot and cold, and their most dedicated player was born and raised an ocean away. They are also from New Zealand, which is just lame!

Sydney teams?? There are too many of them to choose one specifically!! I will give the West Tigers their due, the football they played in 2005 would of exhilarated any new fan. Unfortunately that is a distant memory now, it seems like forever ago that Benji Marshall was anything more than a permanent blip on the injury list. The Bulldogs dodgy recent criminal record is more than reason to stay away from them. The Roosters are my first finalists. A team on the rise, they have the coolest coach in the competition. That really goes a long way in this day and age of media over exposure.

Penrith are a pretty cool side, but the player’s love/hate relationship with coach Matthew Elliott is an overriding concern. The Panthers are good for a fling, as they showed in 1991 and 2003, but the highs are too few and far between to keep me coming back. Manly? Good side filled with plenty of good players, but too solid. They lack the flair of the Manly sides of old. Get a bit of youth involved and get back to me.

The perennial bridesmaids are next. The Dragons and the Eels have been up on the big stage in September so often over the past fifteen seasons. These seasons of success followed by ultimate disappointment have come to define these clubs modern histories. Unfortunately neither side show any signs of overcoming their premiership droughts in the next few years. As a novice supporter I’d want to enjoy September football knowing my side at least had a chance. Fail.

This leaves us with three contenders to challenge the Roosters, the Knights, Broncos and Cowboys. The Knights are a great side, full of spirit and determination. However, watch one of their home games and you’ll see the mob of cretins supporting them groups you in with. The Broncos have been too successful; supporting them is the easy way out. That leaves me with the Cowboys, a fairly inconsistent side, but with two of the games premier talents in Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen. They play a very attractive style of football when on their game, as close as you’ll see to those Raiders sides of yesteryear given the current salary cap enforcements. They will square off with the Roosters.

[FONT=&quot]The Roosters and Cowboys of 2008 are fairly different sides. The Roosters are a side on the rise after a few years of poor returns, where the Cowboys seem to have been treading water the last couple of years. They compete week in week out but appear to lack that final piece to their premiership puzzle. Both sides have been easy on the eye during the early rounds of 2008. In the end it comes down to the Cowboys ability to turn it on in attack, as opposed to the Roosters consistent and balanced approach. If I were to fall in love again, it would be with the North Queensland Cowboys.

-----------------------------------
750 words including title
[/FONT]

Downie

Guest Moderator
The 3 Ts

Looking at the sixteen teams in today’s competition, you cannot doubt the enormous amount of skill and athletic ability of the players in each. The NRL in recent years has established more athletes with brilliant and unmatchable abilities than ever before. Yet, there is something that this NRL competition cannot boast that it has over seasons in the 60s, 70s and 80s in particular. Those are the three Ts:

Teamwork, Toughness and Fortitude.

Hey, if the schools can do it with the three Rs of reading, writing and arithmetic, so can I.

Rugby league in Australia built itself on the amazing stories of the players in the post-war era who played with such grit and courage that would put some players of the modern era to shame. In those days, people played rugby league with spirit, they played for each other and for the team. Money was hardly an issue as it is today, where we see some people ditching their mates they’ve been playing with all their lives for a few extra quid and a latte. In the days of no and limited interchanges, players just had to tough it out for the full 80, there was no coming off for a breather after the first 20 minutes. And finally, fortitude, or as it’s defined, the strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage. We’re up to our ears in stories of players from previous generations playing on with broken arms and injured legs, and not because they were paid by the minute and needed the money, but because their teammates needed them, and they didn’t want to let them down. That’s what rugby league was about, ‘back in the day’.

And there was one team on Friday night that embodied the days of old, the mighty Manly Sea Eagles.

After a mixed bag of results so far in 2008, the Sea Eagles came to Parramatta Stadium, the home of their arch-rivals from the era previously mentioned, with a point to prove. Absolutely nothing went their way that night. Players were injured, the penalty count was against them and even a few general play calls seemed to miff the Manly faithful. With fifteen to go, two points down and only half a man on the bench, the Manly players had two options. The first, and the easiest, was to simply resign themselves to defeat. They could have simply sat back, played to preserve themselves so no one else would get injured and let the floodgates open. The second option, and the most difficult, was to tough it out and play like the teams of old. They had already lost 3 players through injury, Menzies, Bani and Williamson, and a fourth, Mark Bryant, was struggling with a knee injury, forcing a massive reshuffle of the line-up. They had three props on the field, two hookers, one winger and only one natural backrower. For twenty long minutes they worked it out from their own end and put a kick downfield. They needed a spark of attacking brilliance from one of their own or an error from one of their opposition. Fortunately for the boys from Brookvale, Lady Luck decided to give them just one glimmer of hope for the night, a bomb that went undefused, and Manly took it with both hands.

With five minutes to go, Heath L’Estrange crashed over near the posts and the Manly fans erupted. When the hooter went, I personally had never been more proud to have been a Manly fan as what we had shown that day was something extraordinary. The three Ts which had been missing from the NRL for some while had come back with a resounding bang.

For me, that performance was personified my Mark Bryant. Forever a toiler, he’ll never be remembered as one of the game’s greats but the toughness and fortitude and the willingness to risk all for his teammates on Friday night is something I’ll always remember. The man was down and out with a knee injury, but instead of lying back he hobbled back onto the field to help out his teammates. When he took the ball back from a kickoff, he didn’t run back, he limped.

It was as if we had players infamous from those generations of league, the Fulton’s, the Krilich’s, the Randall’s, back in the maroon and white. It was probably a game I’d never forget.

---

745 words by your counter. Good luck all.

Hallatia

Referee
Hallatia for the Ninjas against her first team (Ah the memories), *BANG*

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

I wish it were just Walker

Chris Walker struck fear into the hearts of the New South Wales coaching staff, so much so that when he came off the bench for Queensland Nathan Brown was advised by Phil Gould to let the players know. For the next 5 minutes it seemed all Nathan Brown did was stay behind the defensive line on the park and yell out “Walker’s on, Walker’s on!”

I always found this amusing because if I were Queensland’s coach I would have done the same thing for them, but warning them of the fact he was on. Chris Walker was a good player, but his career was more mistakes and injury, rather than this mythical man of talent NSW saw. To me Chris Walker is a mistake prone player, and a drunk; no one to be worried about. I wonder what they would do if Billy Slater were the man to come off the bench this year, compared to the Chris Walker alerts you would think it would have to be close to flick knives shoved in players boots, or his family taken hostage and held to ransom.

What sticks in our mind is how long Nathan Brown stayed out there to let everyone know of the danger, practically coaching and babying NSW through the drama, Nathan then returned to the sideline and was asked by Laurie Daley if he had let them know Walker was now on the field. Of course he did, but if he didn’t, he would have been told to get back out there and do it, perhaps spending another 5 minutes on the field.

Do you think an official would have pulled him aside and told him “that’s enough”. All they would have done was watch. Slowly but surely the 13 man game has become the 13 man game, plus the trainer behind the line coaching teams.

I thought these players were professionals, the best we have in the country, yet coaches feel the need to have a trainer with them on the field giving them instructions for a game they have played their whole lives, and now earn a good salary from. I wish I had this feature at work, instead of thinking just mindlessly rolling around in an office chair getting instructions in a step-by-step guide. In my opinion the trainer should only be on the field for injuries and to give the team a rev up or a drink after a try is scored. Right now you have trainers racking up more minutes on the field than some players.

In this age of experiments and weekly rule changes I only see it fitting to provide another idea which could be implemented, mid season of course. The NRL wouldn’t want it any other way! I could go with a wide range of issues but will stick to the trainer being on the field.

To put it simply the trainers are on there too long, only last week Matt Adamson had a hand in the match winning golden point win by Penrith over Cronulla, the thing is Matt Adamson retired 2 years ago and is now a trainer with Penrith. From behind the line Matt told players where to run and when to take the field goal, even telling Jarrod Sammut where to stand. This kind of on field coaching needs to be stopped, what did these teams train for all week?
With my new proposed rule the opposition side would benefit from playing against a team whose trainer feels the need to be out there helping his side. Trainers are now only permitted on the field if a player is injured or when a try is scored. If a trainer wants to come on the field at any other time they may do so but the team has to have only 13 members on the field, meaning a trainer takes the places of a player of their choosing.

The trainer wouldn’t be able to take part in any other way than they do now, all that changes is that the team would have to play with 12 players while a trainer wants to be out there, assisting his side. Once he leaves the player may replace the trainer and get involved in the game again.

This gives the opposition an advantage for being well coached and gives the trainer all the time he wants to baby his side through a professional game.

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
742 words

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
A Tougher Stance.

It was a beautiful, but chilly Saturday in late March when the Dragons came to Canberra. Both teams were coming off last start wins and the head to head betting was very tight – the visitors were slight favourites at $1.85 with the hosts at $1.95. This was a game expected to be close. The Dragons were first on the scoreboard with a great play created by half back Jamie Soward. Gasnier added the extras then took the score out to 10-0 with 2 penalty goals.

Case 1: Penalty awarded against team in possession.

The first of these penalties was an unusual play from Raiders winger Colin Best, who was on the end of what appeared to be a spear tackle. It was enough to shake Best up and see him play the ball the wrong way – 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Case 2: Penalty awarded to team in possession.

The second penalty was more routine, with the Raiders’ Michael Weyman handing Gasnier another gift two points after an obvious offside penalty. The penalties at the time seemed quite fair, especially the Weyman penalty which was as clear cut an offside as any you will see.

In each case, the penalty awarded was sufficient – or so it seemed. However, on closer inspection, the offenders in the Colin Best spear tackle should have been put on report and a penalty given the other way.

Case 3: Player put on report in possession. No penalty given.

Later in the match, Jarrod Saffy was placed on report for a biting allegation levelled against him by Raiders playmaker, Todd Carney. No penalty was given and the game moved on.

In the aftermath, it was clear that Colin Best was spear tackled but not so clear whether Todd Carney had actually been bitten, even with the referee having seen the bite marks at the time. The game had two incidences where nothing more than a routine penalty was awarded, yet much more could have resulted – especially in the post match review.

Case 4: Penalty awarded against team in possession.

The following round, the Raiders travelled north to the Gold Coast where they faced up against the Titans. Well into the second half, Michael Weyman landed a fine shot on Daniel Conn who, soon after, looked like a new model Terminator. On top of the penalty that was rightly given, Weyman was marched from the field to an early shower. Not only did Weyman miss nearly 20 minutes of that game, he is currently serving a six week suspension for that incident and a more minor incident in the same game.

None of the Dragons players were suspended nor were they removed from the field – either for 10 minutes or for the remainder of the game. So, the big question to ask is this: should referees take a tougher stance during the game and allow the offended team an advantage then and there rather than allowing all the benefits to go to the teams the offenders club plays during his time off?

The problem this provides referees with is that of getting it absolutely right. It is much easier for them to refer it to somebody who can see it replayed ad nauseum than it is for them to get it correct on the spot. If we choose to let somebody at a TV screen look at it till he is satisfied with a due course of action, this only serves to compound the problem by slowing down the game even further, frustrating coaches, players and fans alike.

So, the dilemma is simply one of getting it right. Getting it right is far more possible these days with the quality of broadcasting equipment available. The problem is that it still takes time. Not only does this spoil the enjoyment of the fans who pay good money to see NRL football, it kills momentum. It can readily take away the advantage of the attacking team by allowing the defence to regain their breath and reform their defensive line.

Better guidelines need to be created for the benefit of the team who was offended. In neither case 1 or 2 did the Raiders get any benefit – not even a penalty – when there was more than a good chance they should have had far more. In case 3, the Titans received the benefit that they deserved while the Tigers, Storm, Warriors, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Manly also receive the benefits.

--------------
750 Words

lockyno1

Post Whore
Locky on for the COUGARS

Expansion…is it Really Necessary?

At the moment the NRL is a vibrant enterprise consisting of 16 teams, with the latest introduction of the team on the Gold Coast, named the Titans. But with the Australian Football League (AFL) intent on expanding into new markets we must think about a few places that are essential.

Now the first one is Perth. Now whilst there is always a strong argument that Perth failed before, I tend to disagree. The city was just not ready for a league enterprise at that time. Now with a new management and a ‘Grand Plan” should see the Perth Reds a success both on and off the field. Also the success of Rugby Union in the Force shows that people do like sports other than AFL in Perth. This area in my opinion must be of the highest importance as the NRL moves forward. This expansion should happen absolutely no later than 2010.

Another area which has to be considered is a extra team in Queensland, probably is the South-East Queensland area. This is quite a recent phenomenon and it comes as a result of the success of the Gold Coast Titans successful introduction into the NRL in 2007. However, I personally do not feel it is as important as a team in Perth at the moment. If a team is needed and the scope for development is there in South-East Queensland, there is no reason why a side cannot be put there after Perth is introduced. This expansion though has a lot of positive trends and the NRL will be pressured in putting the next side in South-EAST Queensland as it has the support of current stars such as the Australian and Broncos captain Darren Lockyer.

Another area which has to be under consideration is the Central Coast. Now before this season I had never actually though of the Central Coast as a viable rugby league town, oh how I was wrong. The league family in the Central Coast is huge, and has the support in money of John Singleton. So financially this expansion will ensure it does not financially end up as a disaster. However, with the small crowds in New South Wales currently is there really a need for another team? Well personally I think there is a need for another team, but more likely to happen in 2015, or around that mark. But be prepared this expansion area will have by far and away the most financial support and the NRL will strongly consider that when making a final decision on expansion.

Another area which has to be strongly considered in the short to medium term is a extra team in New Zealand based in Wellington. My only concern with this is that although the games taken to Wellington in the past have sold well, Wellington does have the Hurricanes Rugby Union team. Now this may seem pessimistic, but I do have my doubts as to whether Wellington is a viable option. However in 2020 which is where I expect this expansion to take place, it may be viable. Until then though I hope the NRL focuses on the other key areas which are more important than Wellington.

There are of course other areas but they are more long term. Whether Adelaide is an option for a side in the future will have to be explored further. This will continue to happen and will be judged on the effectiveness of the local competition is Adelaide. Another option that has to be explored if we really want to be “National” is a side in Tasmania. Now this won’t happen for 10 years at least but this developing area must be at the front of the NRL’s plans as part of the future.

Therefore, it can be said that expansion is an essential ingredient to the long term success of the NRL. The NRL must need to realise that developing markets have to be catered for; otherwise the NRL as a business will lose ground to rival sports. A team in Perth must be given the highest priority, followed by the subsequent team in South East Queensland. However the NRL must not stop there, as to improve the NRL expansion is the only way to achieve national and international success.

715 words

paulquinn49

Bench
PQ for CNTDN (for part 1 click here) http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=4126687&postcount=13

The PQ Story (Part 2)

A year ago I was merely another child playing a game, but now I was a known commodity.

The Sutherland Shire was still buzzing with the news of my 3 tries on Shark Park. Some suggested Shark Park name the stadium in honour of me, and I think they did for a while, in between Ronson, Endeavour, Caltex and Toyota. The previous year I had played in a team with only 5 other members in it, the recruitment drive for 1992 went a lot better, and to this day I believe it was due to the success and professionalism I had brought to the club. My “No Fat Chicks” policy was also a hit, with no females joining the team, I now had the 7 men I would lead to victory and nothing would stop me, or so I thought.

The year started off quite well, from not winning a regular season game last year the team had won the majority of their games leading in to the last half of the year. However when beaten, we got beat badly. We had 2 losses for the year to date, coming against Como & De La Salle.

We had what every junior team needs to be a force in the competition, apart from myself and my many talents we had the big enforcer type kid who some feared, we had the overly aggressive tackling machine and we had the fast kid, who when all else failed would run back and fourth to tire the other team into submission.

I felt something special brewing and went to club to let them know that the premiership drought at the club would be over by the end of the year, the club then took more of an invested interest in myself and the club by taping the second half of the season. Having just toughed out a game on the road against Yarrawarrah, Sutherland vs St Josephs would be the first chance we got to impress for the camera.

With the added pressure of having to look good on the camera as well as on the field I took the chance, in between training, to get a nice presentable haircut. Truth be told the team St Josephs put out, half of our team could have scheduled haircuts during game time and we still would have won. A lot of tries and a few goals later the game was over, I took it upon myself to score a couple of tries in a crushing 66-0 victory.

Como was a side we had previously lost to, now that we had a chance to right the wrong, we made sure not to let it happen again. I took it upon myself to have a bigger game than usual. After a tense opening 5 minutes the token fast kid was called upon and delivered a blow to a determined Como. Knowing Como wouldn’t lie down I knew it was my time to get involved, scoring the next 2 tries and converting a try of my own. The team lifted with Como seemingly going backwards at every opportunity, the score 40-8.

The next game had the added incentive of a Minor Premiership if we won this game against a completely hopeless Engadine side. Such was my professionalism and sense of ownership of this team that before the game we had a team huddle on the importance of the win, we were then given a guard of honour before the game even started. In retrospect I guess Engadine even knew, as they were content to expend all their energy playing “tip” before the game. A ruthless Sutherland took the game 82-0 and secured a Minor Premiership.

Afterwards we were told of our achievement, the coach then told us what it meant and that we had a chance to get to the Grand Final, should we win the next week. The game would be against Yarrawarrah who we had beaten both times, but this time something didn’t feel right.

Everything changed that morning, instead of enjoying a game, it became a bloodbath and the be all and end all of the club. From being the star of the Under 7’s side and becoming a spiritual figure or sorts, I now had the chance to lead the side to greatness but with the pressure taking its toll on me, would I be up to the challenge to lead Sutherland to a premiership?

Only time could tell

749 words

IanG

Coach
Merry Go Round

Other than tackling techniques one of the hot topics in Rugby League over the last few weeks has been the coaching merry go round. It’s now been made official that Wayne Bennett has signed with St George/Illawarra for next season and Neil Henry has also surprisingly been given a release from his contract at Canberra which didn’t expire until the end of the 2009 season and has signed a five year deal with North Queensland as of next season. This along with the fact that both Nathan Brown and Graeme Murray have been told by their respective clubs that they’re no longer required.

When it was uncertain about Craig Bellemy’s future and the rumours were doing the rounds that he was being touted as being Wayne Bennett’s replacement, his name was thrown into the mix as well. As we know it’s since been confirmed that Craig Bellemy isn’t going anywhere for the next five years and Ivan Hinjack has been appointed as Wayne Bennett’s replacement.

I heard an argument a couple of weeks ago suggesting that with Rugby League now being a full time professional business then perhaps it should be conducted as such in that when a coach announces that’s he’s going to another club as of next year that he should be dismissed once he’s made the announcement.

An example argument that was used in this case was if you were the CEO of the ANZ Bank and the Commonwealth Bank poached you then you wouldn’t be able to see out your contract you’d be shown the door and that business principals need to apply on grounds that you going to a competitor. Or if Roger Corbett the CEO of Wollworths got poached by Coles.

There is suggestion that this has become the case now that the June 30 deadline has been scrapped. It’s not just the coaches in this situation. The players seem to be following suit. We’ve no heard that Anthony Tupo has signed a rather lucrative deal for the next five years with the Cronulla Sharks. Would these same principals have to apply to the players as well?

Let’s not also forget that Todd Carney has re-signed with the Canberra Raiders after turning town some lucrative offers from other clubs. Apparently it was on the pretext that Neil Henry would still be coaching at Canberra next season. If these principals were to apply would Todd Carney then be entitled to get out of his new contract if he wished to do so? It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Personally I don’t know what to think of the situation. I can see both sides of the argument in that both business principals should apply but at the same time sacking a coach after the season has commenced only created instability in a club. Allowing coaches/players to see out their contact allows the stability to remain and at the same time a coach can secure his future for the following season and know where he’s going next season. After all do we want personnel in a situation where they don’t know where they are going to be next season and being uncertain about their future? I think not.

As I stated earlier though what about those who have been told by their clubs they are not required next year by their respective clubs, but what if half way through the season that had negotiated their future elsewhere after being told and will after all now be going elsewhere. Would they also get the boot? There is also the question too of if a player or coach has decided to go elsewhere the following season would be still give his all? If they have a professional attitude to things then the answer in my view would be yes.

Like most issues there are in Rugby League I don’t think there is really a definitive solution to them. There are good arguments for both sides of the equation. As far as I’m concerned anybody who can create a perfect formula about any aspect of the game is a dead set genius because it seems to be beyond David Gallop and the rest of his honchos at NRL headquarters. It’s the same story with the draw each season when we have teams playing each other twice and only playing others once. At the end of the day there will still be those who are still not happy so everyone involved has to do their best.

WORD COUNT: 749 Words

jamesgould

Juniors
Death of Loyalty

Well, it’s been staggering around the ring for a while now. Players swapping clubs as soon as they happen upon a better offer. The loyalty to country changing depending on which team the player can get a game with.

But now we’ve hit breaking point. This season the epidemic has hit our coaches. Coaches announcing their new club, coaches announcing they’re leaving, every week somebody is deciding to abandon their post.

Now for one thing, coaching is meant to be a profession where you hang on to your job like grim death. It’s the job where you are counting down the days until you are fired, not resigning because you want a new challenge! It is also the coaches who are meant to be luring players from one club to another, with their promises of increased gametime, playing in a preferred position and taking their game up to the next level. Now coaches are moving, it seems like the final bastion of solidarity in our game has deserted us.

Perhaps I am spoilt when it comes to this antiquated concept of loyalty. I support Newcastle, a club well known for holding on to any old player who has pulled on the red and blue in their time. No matter if they wouldn’t make the grade in the Mooloolaba Invitational XIII, they are Knights, so we blinkin’ well try and re-sign them! But there are a veritable host of reasons why keeping a stable player roster is a good idea.

On-field combinations improve, fan support increases, and the passion and pride a player shows in their performance can only increase when they are a true member of the community. I truly wonder if the NRL places any value on any of these factors. They have a salary cap designed at spreading talent that has the effect of forcing a club to choose between lots of average players, or two or three exceptional players and a load of fringe first-graders. They are happy to have teams drop their location in preference to a nickname. And they seem to encourage teams to play as many matches as they can at the generic ANZ Stadium. Homeless teams at a soulless venue. No wonder the players are interchangeable.

Now more than ever you are cheering for the colour of your teams top against the colour of the opposition. Perhaps I am exaggerating - this is not true of every team, and it’s not totally true of any team. But it is difficult to argue that the truth of the statement is increasing season by season.

Until the last few seasons, the coaches had almost been operating in reverse to the rotating players trend. They were lasting longer and longer in the same job. Folkes, Bennett, Hagan, Elliott, Brown, Murray, Sheens and Stuart. That’s half the competition, off the top of my head, which had a coach who had been in charge for at least four years. Now, I am not saying that everybody on that list should have been retained in their current job. Change will always need to occur. But in 2009, John Cartwright will be the fifth-equal longest serving coach in the NRL … which is ludicrous.

What will happen to the quality of our game? It is often said by those in the know that it takes a year for a coach to adjust to a new club. Results don’t happen straight away, as the coach adjusts to the new surroundings, adjusts his playing roster and begins to drill-in his new techniques to his players. It’s not always true, as Michael Hagan proved last year, but usually it is. So this mantra could well apply to the majority of sides in 2009.

I think the most cold-hearted departure of the lot is Neil Henry. His young, up and coming side in Canberra has been given a really harsh dose of reality by a man who is supposed to be their mentor. It would be no surprise if a lot of their players moved on after this season – after all, their coach has just given them the message that loyalty counts for very little. How must Todd Carney feel? Turning down bigger offers from other clubs to stay at his home club, only for the coach to walk out on the final year of his contract?

Loyalty is dead in rugby league. The tribal game? Not anymore. We need to act now, but in my opinion, it’s already too late.

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 runs off the bench for the cougars

How the NRL can improve on officials

In the NRL a lot has been said about our officials - mostly bad however what fans, players, coaches and media alike do not understand is how vital they are to our game.

As a fan and as an official within the SARL I can understand some criticism in regards to the referees and feel that instead of complaining I will make suggestions in this article to make some improvements for the overall game of Rugby League.

Referee:
The role of a referee is to control the centre of the game and to keep the game running as smooth as possible but does this happen? I say no in some circumstances and yes in others.

In my opinion where the referee lacks control is that he has to keep his emotions out of the game and control the game where the NRL referees are looked at heavily if they get a crucial decision wrong it could affect the outcome of the game.

The reason we watch Rugby League over other sports is for its speed of play in recent years we've seen teams try and control the speed of the game by using suspicious tactics such as the grapple tackle and the chicken wing tackle.

To allow our great game the privilege of retaining its speed referees should devise a consistent system where they can control the ruck, to eradicate these suspicious tactics that the players use.

The NRL have recently started this by charging players with (various grades) un-necessary head and or neck contact.

As a fan we don't want to see the return of penalties to the game as they generally play a vital role in our game, instead we should see more advantage plays like in rugby union.

Side Line Officials:
A lot has been made of touch judges and their role in the game.

Fans, Players, Coaches and Media have become increasingly frustrated with their role and their lack of control on the game.

Touch judges really need to be more assertive when it comes to supporting the referee and making their decisions within the game.

Video Referees:
The biggest problem is we have Video Referees taking anything up to 3 minutes looking at several replays of the try could be awarded and in my opinion this isn’t good for the game.

However just recently we see these blokes looking at the replay as slow as they can and at times it makes you feel that there looking for anything not to award it a try.

I understand that these guys are here to help the on field officials and to help get most of the decisions right as technology has advanced over the time.

But as we slow the replay down does this mean that it makes it harder to see what the on field official is actually looking for.

For example: being grounding of the ball either by the player carrying it over the line or diving on it after being kicked through. This is where we see most decisions as benefit of the doubt.

The biggest question is why do referees bank on the video referee so much? Back in the old days you never saw the likes of Greg McCullum, Graham Annesley and Graham West needing the video referee. These guys would back there gut instinct and trust there decisions on the field.

But most recently we have seen on field referees retire and move into the video box is this good for the game or bad for it as these officials have refereed the centre of the matches and now find themselves staring at the monitor and advising up and coming referees.

Video Referees like Steve Clark and Bill Harrigan who have refereed at the pinnacle of the game now find themselves nurturing the new referees coming into grade referees like Bernard Sutton and Brett Suttor as these guys properly looked up to the older referees as inspiration thinking one day I can do this.

Summary:
Being an official in our game is very hard job. We must get the best officials to control our game correctly and fluently. If an official doesn’t get the decision right we could see headlines like Sean Hampstead needs OPSM or we will see “Come back Bill Hollywood Harrigan”. I guess what I am saying is the video referees need to find ways of awarding exciting plays so the fans get into the game more.

746 Words
According to F7s Word Counter

Pistol

Coach
Cougars

(G4P) Australia is becoming Americas 51st State = 86

This had a lot of salient points made and some not so. But it was well thought out and well presented.

(Downie) The 3 T’s = 87

Toughness and what it means to the writer and his team. This piece displayed a passion and pride that one would have in his team

(Lockyno1) Expansion. Is It Really Necessary? = 84

The writer discusses his thoughts on expansion. Solid but more middle of the road.

(IanG) Merry Go Round = 83

This piece discusses the coaching turnabout in the NRL. Good idea but lacking “zing”.

(griffo346) How the NRL can improve on officials = 79

How the NRL can improve on its officials as viewed by the writer. One area where you can improve on is how you break up your sentences as some areas were flowing on to a new thought when it may have been best to start a new sentence.

Ninjas

(Edabomb) If I Could Fall in Love Again = 86

The writer explores the option of maybe, just maybe having an affair and falling for a new team to support. Solid but lacking the X Factor.

(Hallatia) I wish it were just Walker = 81

This one was disjointed. It seemed to be going in one direction but then took an exit off the freeway and went the other.

(Titties) A Tougher Stance = 88

Well thought out and well presented case on why the NRL should show a “tougher stance” to those that have offended.

(PQ) The PQ Story (Part 2) = 87

A nice biographical piece. Well written.

(jamesgould) Death of Loyalty = 92

Ahh loyalty. Where has it gone? A well written piece.

Ninjas 434 defeat Cougars 419

MOM jamesgould

Latest posts