What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Raiders Vs Knights

Raider_69

Post Whore
woodgers said:
Correct, but even he must know that he came here as a 'name' player on a decent salary from what we know. Now he is running around in the reggies in what is his contract year. The guy is 26 going on 27 and unless he wants to be packing on at Woolies in 2008 he needs to fire up, he'll know that. I think he will, he has to for his livelyhood. He can play too, lets not kid ourselves into thinking that he has no ability based on season 2006, he just needs to give it everything.

potentially he is our best back, but i havnt seen anything from him to suggest that potential will be realised at canberra... granted if it is, it will be this year, but i cant justify his selection at this point in time.

btw i agree with the grubber too, a bomb has a smaller margin for error

woodgers

Bench
Either way mate, it looks like we'll find out Monday. I hope he has a screamer, some pressure on those outside backs would be superb.

Stranger

Coach
Yeah, we ain't scared :)

Real danger game for the knights. We should win by 20+ IMO, but i fear a loss is on the cards for us.

RABK

Referee
Knights fear Joe Picker.

Should be a good game infront of a dismal crowd, i feel sorry for the Raiders been made to play 2 monday night games in the first 5 weeks.

Timbo

Staff member
woodgers said:
I see your point guys but I prefer the grubber into the ingoal. That is the percentage play rather than the cross kick. Rolling it in gives the chance to not only score but also a good chance of getting a drop out. The cross kick has to be dead accurate or it results in a restart at the 20 more often than not.

Round one, under those swirling winds at Brookie, we should have been peppering Stewart with bombs-he always had the pace to beat our backs to the ball on the ground. I can count on one finger the amount of bombs that went up that day.

Like I said, this is gonna be the closest game of the round, the way our forwards played last week, compared to the knights (I watched both games) it will be a tough battle there.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
grubbers are good when they are good, Carney can't grubber based on the last 2 games. I haven't seen one not go easily dead or straight to hand and all our 4 3/4's would be taller than the knoghts to a man I would think, Purtell, Graham, Chalk & Best surely would all be taller than McDrugcheat, Tiger, Carmel & McAnus

Chachi

Bench
That Knights team looks pretty strong on paper and I think our boys will be up against it this week. Having said that, I agree that if Dobbo and Carney click and get their kicking games in order we're a real chance. I think they need to mix it up a bit, but really hammer the knights wingers whether it be high balls or grubbers.

Maybe that's why Campo is named on an extended bench - bring back the midfield bombs!

My main concern is consistency as we've been playing all over the joint since the pre-season.

raidersforme

Juniors
Dobson to face childhood hero
David Jean
space.gif

Raiders rookie Michael Dobson is preparing to go face-to-face with childhood hero Andrew Johns for the first time after Newcastle named its captain at halfback for Monday's round-three clash at Canberra Stadium. Johns missed last Friday's win over St George Illawarra with concussion but is almost certain to play against the Raiders after returning to training over the past two days.
The final makeup of the Raiders' team is less clear, coach Neil Henry yesterday naming an extended six-man bench as the club's injury woes worsened.
Johns's likely return presents Dobson with the biggest challenge of his fledgling career, after already facing established stars Cooper Cronk and Matt Orford in the past two weeks.
Monday night's game will be just his third in the NRL. Former Australian and NSW State of Origin captain Johns has played 246.
The 32-year-old is widely regarded as the best halfback the game has produced, while Dobson's name is barely known outside Canberra.
But despite the gaping chasm in experience, Dobson said he would not be intimidated. "He's the best halfback in the world and one of the best players to have played the game so it's going to be very tough," Dobson said of Johns.
"But I'm looking forward to it especially because he was someone I looked up to when I was little and I wanted to be like.
"I wouldn't say it's intimidating.
"I'm more looking forward to testing myself against a player of his ability.
"You've got to play him eventually so I'm looking forward to it more than worrying about it."
While the return of their captain will greatly boost the Knights, Raiders skipper Alan Tongue remains in doubt for the game.
Tongue will not return to full training until Friday at the earliest after aggravating a groin injury during Saturday's 16-point loss to the Melbourne Storm.
Back-rowers Ben Jones (neck) and Glen Turner (hamstring) are also in doubt, sorely testing the depth of a forward pack already missing Troy Thompson, Michael Weyman, Matt Bickerstaff, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and utility Andrew Dunemann.
Henry yesterday drafted Trevor Thurling and Terry Campese into his squad to cover for Turner and Jones, while Craig Frawley is in line for selection after centre David Howell accepted a one-week ban for striking Melbourne's Greg Inglis.
Back-rower Neville Costigan will return to the squad after serving a one-week suspension.
Tongue said he was confident he would be ready to play on Monday despite a disrupted week on the training paddock. "It's something that gave me a bit of trouble after the Manly game and ... we've got a bit of a longer week so it's a good chance to get it pretty much 100 per cent before the [game]," Tongue said.
"There's no doubt it was worse this time last week and I still played."
Henry said playing on the Monday meant his players had plenty of time to recover from any niggles they were carrying.
"We have got a fair way to the game, so no running really until the proposed session on Friday," Henry said. "Then we've got Saturday off and then two sessions on Sunday so we've got a fair bit of time to do it.
"I expect that all three are going to be right to play."
The Raiders are still searching for their first win under new coach Henry after losing their opening two games of the season.
The Knights are undefeated after beating St George Illawarra last Friday despite being without star pair Johns and hooker Danny Buderus.
Dobson said he was confident Canberra was poised for a breakthrough win.
He said he was eager to prove that he could match it with the top halfbacks in the competition on a weekly basis.
"We've still got a lot of improvement to do but I was finding my feet a bit more.
"Orford and Cronk are up there as the better halfbacks in the game so I've had a pretty tough run of it of late."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=569987&category=Rugby League

Raider Azz

Bench
if dobson played for someone liked the dragons the match-up between him and johns would be MASSIVE. the media wouldn't shut up about it. "the master vs. the apprentice" etc. etc.

of course, he plays for Canberra though.

dubby

Bench
I've got a good feeling about this game, injuries or not. I hope the boys put in 100% and cut out the dropped ball.

Its only been our errors that have led to the other teams victories. Ok, a bit of class has helped but I really beleive that if we can keep improving and reduce our error rate, we will beat Newcastle.

We cannot allow JOhns to run the show, pressure him ALL game. His kicking game will be astute and he will bomb the crap out of Best and Zillman. Our back 3 need to step up and support each other.

Come on Raiders! A win over an unbeaten Newcastle will make the critics sit up and take notice.

woodgers

Bench
I watched the Melbourne tape last night and the Raiders were solid. At the 60 minute mark the Raiders had 66% of possession inside Melbourne's half. Melbourne's solid defence was the telling factor as our attack wasn't that bad, but there is no doubt our forwards did them over.

Macko8

Juniors
f**k hopefully tongue,jones and turner are all right to go otherwise there could be a problem.
Hopefully tilse and logan start the way they did against the storm.
Perry is an overated,overweight hack who needs to lose weight,woolnough is not far behind him.
I would like to see costigan start this game and run at that cat "johns" from the word go.
Even better bring in "cannonball" and have him and costigan sitting on "fairy" johns all night.

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
I've got a good feeling about this game, injuries or not. I hope the boys put in 100% and cut out the dropped ball.

Its only been our errors that have led to the other teams victories. Ok, a bit of class has helped but I really beleive that if we can keep improving and reduce our error rate, we will beat Newcastle.

We cannot allow JOhns to run the show, pressure him ALL game. His kicking game will be astute and he will bomb the crap out of Best and Zillman. Our back 3 need to step up and support each other.

Come on Raiders! A win over an unbeaten Newcastle will make the critics sit up and take notice.
Yep, yep and yep. I have no doubt the result of this game will hinge on our ball control and how the back 3 contend with Johns' kicking game. Having said that, you could probably say the same thing about any of Newcastle's opponents!

Dobbo and Carney are rapidly proving they have the ability to run the show, and every game they step out together reveals a little more variety in our attack. I have supreme confidence in both of their kicking games but I just feel they need a bit more confidence and experience to nail the right decision at the right time. It would also be good to see Graham chance his hand with a few more kick/chase options as he is absolutely outstanding in that area IMO.

If the rain holds off we may also see a bit more second phase play out of the forwards, but I don't expect to see that in full flight until Thommo, Weyman and TLL return.

As Woodgers has highlighted, Frawley is also a bit of a dark horse here. I said in the pre-season he could be a real X factor for us. It's a contract year and he's now now got the QLD origin assistant coach pulling the strings - and promising some real attacking footy. Fair dinkum, if Frawley can't get himself up in that scenario then he's full on kidding himself.

I've got this gut feeling that we're about to rip a team apart at some stage when everything finally 'clicks'. I'm not too confident it will happen this round with so many changes to the lineup over the past few weeks, but if the moons align and we manage to get our best team on the park for a few games then look out.

jed

First Grade
raidersforme said:
Monday night's game will be just his third in the NRL. Former Australian and NSW State of Origin captain Johns has played 246.
On the other hand, Dobson has played 24 games (207 points) in Superleague against Johns with 3 games and 29 points.

:p

St. Brett

Juniors
Good news, Raiders.

I'm going for you to beat Newcastle on Monday.

I think that you may chalk (excuse the pun) up your first victory on Monday.

There's a reason for it.

Interested in hearing about it?

I have insight.

jed

First Grade
St. Brett said:
Good news, Raiders.

I'm going for you to beat Newcastle on Monday.

I think that you may chalk (excuse the pun) up your first victory on Monday.

There's a reason for it.

Interested in hearing about it?

I have insight.
Go ahead Brett, enlighten us...

Latest posts