What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs. Dragons

Big Pete

Referee
Neither is Gallant.

I can see your point, but trading a douche for a turd sandwich (playing wise, I bet they're great guys) isn't going to improve matters.

Y'know I remember a year when the Cowboys side kept getting chopped and changed every week. It was 2008, and they sucked.

Actually, I remember seasons where the Cowboys would go through nearly 40 players and surprise surprise, they'd finish near the bottom end of the table.

macnaz

Staff member
So gallant isnt playing well in premier league, either is ty williams in firsts. The diferance,s are tho that one IS a fullabck and the other ISNT and another difference is that if they both play well one is going to be ok and the other is going to be sensational. So if Henry wonts to risk another sh*t game by Ty or if lucky an ok game well thats his call,a stupid one tho. With every week wasted he could have been forming a great partnership with JT, but i bet he gets a run when u guys are busted at the bottom of the comp and he will be expected to play like a legend

Charlie124

First Grade
Theres a couple of other differences.

Ty has years of first grade experience and has played with this team (these players) before. Gallant has played maybe one trial game with some of the first grade squad, and before that he played a handfull of games for the Tigers.
Ty isnt playing all that badly despite what the death riders in here are saying, he is doing his job in a position he isnt 100% familiar with while Gallant seems to be out of form in a lower/easier competition (it might be another story if he was setting the world on fire in reserves but he aint).
Theres no point throwing an out of form rookie into a team which isnt doing too badly just because he is a fullback.

Talanexor

Juniors
Theres a couple of other differences.

Ty has years of first grade experience and has played with this team (these players) before. Gallant has played maybe one trial game with some of the first grade squad, and before that he played a handfull of games for the Tigers.
Ty isnt playing all that badly despite what the death riders in here are saying, he is doing his job in a position he isnt 100% familiar with while Gallant seems to be out of form in a lower/easier competition (it might be another story if he was setting the world on fire in reserves but he aint).
Theres no point throwing an out of form rookie into a team which isnt doing too badly just because he is a fullback.

And despite all that experience, he is STILL out of his depth at fullback. I agree with your sentiment about chopping and changing every week Charlie, but I don't want to go too far the other way and have underperforming players guaranteed a spot in the team and promising young juniors sign with other clubs because they know they'll never get a go here.

Shorty's right on this. Ty is slow, has poor positioning, isn't great under the high ball and offers nothing in attack at fullback. And he isn't getting any better. Gallant HAS had great games in first grade playing fullback - I've yet to see Ty play one.

When it comes down to it, Gallant could not do any worse there than Ty.

Also, even though Bowen will be back in a few weeks he will have no match fitness and it will still take him most of the season to get back to his best. I think he should be playing a few games in QLD cup himself to get his confidence back instead of rushed back into the side and have his confidence shattered. I don't want to have to put up with Ty Williams at fullback for the next 10 rounds!

Big Pete

Referee
Don't get me wrong here, if Ty under performs and Gallant puts in a good performance I would be open to see him start. But, I wouldn't have him starting this game.

Big Pete

Referee
Cowboys coach Neil Henry backs new fullback Ty Williams

• Wayne Heming

811045-ty-williams-cowboys.jpg

The right stuff ...Cowboys coach Neil Henry has backed Ty Williams to cope with the Dragons' potent kicking game. Source: Getty Images

COWBOYS coach Neil Henry has backed former Origin winger Ty Williams to come up trumps against the Dragons' quality kicking game, which has elevated them to premiership favouritism.

Williams, who has left his comfort zone on the wing to play fullback for injured No.1 Matt Bowen, copped some criticism for making a few errors at the back in last weekend's 28-20 win over the Panthers at Dairy Farmers Stadium.
Henry rejected the criticism expressing full confidence in the 29-year-old's ability and experience to handle Jamie Soward's dangerous kicking game at WIN Stadium on Friday night.
"Ty had to field 20 kicks ... he got whacked fielding a ball in goal; he attacked the ball and one went over his shoulder, a wicked bounce ... But he got good metres [135m] at the back and he's been pretty safe.
"I thought his support play was very good [against Penrith]. He got us some good metres around the ruck and was very aggressive with his carries."
Henry has done his home work on the Dragons who've built their two victories around discipline and a strong kicking game.
"They are going extremely well early in the year, with a very high completion rate," said Henry, expecting his own halves Johnathan Thurston and Grant Rovelli, to pick up their kicking games to secure better field position.
"I think they [Dragons] have only made two errors in their own 40 metres in 160 minutes of football and they've got a very good kicking game.
"We need to work on our kicking game.
"The ends of our sets weren't very good. He [Rovelli] played a role in that and JT did as well.
"They've addressed that this week."
Henry has also gone to school on video of rangy Dragons winger Brett Morris who bagged a hat-trick of tries against the Bulldogs last weekend.
Morris scored five tries in two games against the Cowboys last season.
"He's been dangerous, they've really got those cut-out passes going on that side of the field and he plays with great width.
"We've already looked at some vision of that this morning and we'll need to be a fair bit better defensively to keep them out."
The new downtown rule seems to suit the Dragons at both ends, with Soward having such good vision and placement, and Morris, Jason Nightingale and Darius Boyd such good kick returners.
Henry believes the new rule is discouraging the blockers protecting the kicker who is under more pressure to find open space.
"The Bulldogs struggled last week against the Dragons getting their kicks away and getting quality kicks away," he said.
"The Dragons have got a very potent back three with Morris and Nightingale both strong carriers of the ball and Darius Boyd who is regularly making 150 metres on his carries - they've really got good metres in their back trio.
"We need to find grass between them or test them out in different ways."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-against-dragons/story-e6frep5x-1225844813498

Talanexor

Juniors
Mission possible for Cowboys
ANTONY STEWART
March 24th, 2010
PUTTING a stop to Penrith's Shane Elford is one thing, but the Cowboys are aware doing the same to the Dragons' fleet-footed tryscoring machine Brett Morris is another altogether.
North Queensland's maligned right-side defence stood up to its critics on the weekend, holding strong against a Frank Pritchard-led onslaught as the Cowboys defeated Penrith 28-20.
It was a needed and much worked on turnaround after the right occasionally resembled swiss cheese in their first-round loss to the Brisbane Broncos.
But while thrilled with the response of centre Ashley Graham – and winger John Williams in particular – on the weekend, coach Neil Henry warned that one game did not make a season.
The pair on Friday night have the unenviable task of trying to close down St George Illawarra speedster Morris, who is stamping himself as one of the NRL's best finishers.
He has scored nine tries in his past five games, including a hat-trick last start, while the 23-year-old winger bagged five four-pointers against the Cowboys in two games last season.
''He's been dangerous, they have really got those cut-out passes on that side of the field going,'' Henry said.
''He plays with great width and had (Matt) Prior running out there and (Ben) Creagh's damaging on that side of the field so they might shift him that way.
''We've already looked at some vision of that and we'll have to be a fair bit better defensively to keep them out.''
While New Zealand international wrecking ball Pritchard stalked the right for Penrith, Henry said he did not think the Panthers threw as much attack as what they can expect from the in-form Dragons at WIN Stadium.
''You're only as good as your last game ... I'm sure St George are going to test us there,'' he said.
''They've been shifting that way regardless for the last two games, so it's not like they have to changed anything up to find our right edge.
''Our right edge just need to be up to the task and I thought they did a tremendous job against Penrith, but St George will play a bit differently, come with a bit more speed and they shift a bit longer.
''It will be a bit like the Broncos coming down that way, we need to be better against them than we were, for sure.''
However, the former Queensland Origin assistant added it would be unfair to place sole responsibility of shutting down the Dragons' left-side attack on Graham and Williams.
''The ownership for some of the problems is on the inside of the line, so it's how we adjust mid-field that effects how many numbers they defend,'' Henry said.
''If you look at the tape of the game against Broncos, John Williams and Ash Graham, sometimes had four-on-two, John Williams had three-on-one on two occasions.
''So the inside of the line need to better at what they do and number up to put pressure on them before they put the ball out wide – we've looked at that from a team perspective to try and rectify those problems.''
The Cowboys yesterday picked the same 17-man squad that defeated the Panthers, with starting and bench positions the only areas in question, and Henry said there were no major injury concerns.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/03/24/124915_cowboys.html

Neil Henry seems to think that our defensive weakness on the right isn't solely the fault of Graham and John Williams, and after watching a replay of the Broncos game I'm inclined to agree.

Good to see he's working on this. If we can shut down Morris and Creagh, the Dragons have very few other attacking weapons.

Shorty

Staff member
Don't get me wrong here, if Ty under performs and Gallant puts in a good performance I would be open to see him start. But, I wouldn't have him starting this game.
Yes I understand that and the whole reason Ty is still there is because of his defence.
However, who chases Mr Morris or Soward? Ty just hasn't got the speed.
This has the potential to be a catastrophe, hopefully it's not....if the Cows frustrate the Dragons enough.

macnaz

Staff member
Sorry, I didn't specifically mean the Gallant situation, just in general.

Every week we see people calling for players they have never seen play to come into the side. One person demands it and others follow and all of a sudden it's a massive injustice that this player isn't getting a run.
That is a really good point you make, it does happen a lot.

elyod138

Bench
Yes I understand that and the whole reason Ty is still there is because of his defence.
However, who chases Mr Morris or Soward? Ty just hasn't got the speed.
This has the potential to be a catastrophe, hopefully it's not....if the Cows frustrate the Dragons enough.

As I said on the Cowboys Stampede the other day (I'm 'Dream' there), I'd love to see Gallant get a run and do well, I'm just offering some balance and looking at the reasons that he wasn't selected.

It's not like Henry is trying to sabotage the team, he does have valid reasons, whether we agree with them or not. He also knows the players weaknesses and strengths better than we do.

Hopefully Ty does a solid job tonight and if not, I hope Gallant has a strong game in the QLD Cup to earn a spot.

elyod138

Bench
Ty was fine, apart from his penalty.

Looks like he might be injured though, if that's the case hopefully Gallant comes in and not Watts, that would be scary.

Shorty

Staff member
I agree that he tried to pick up his game but I didn't think he was fine.

elyod138

Bench
Well your main concern was how was he going to tackle Morris when he broke through the line, he did a good job of that twice.

What was bad about his game?

Big Pete

Referee
Predictable result.

Nobody really played well, looks like Ty will be out regardless and Rovelli is on the outer.

But really, nobody played well tonight.

Shorty

Staff member
Well your main concern was how was he going to tackle Morris when he broke through the line, he did a good job of that twice.

What was bad about his game?
Are you telling me you thought he was fantastic?
He had made errors in defence especially goal line and dropped a bomb, I still don't think he's the best option at fullback but it looks like someone else will have a crack anyway.

Watts and Thurston in the halves with Payne at hooker next week, that looked good.

macnaz

Staff member
You need some attack big time,JT is on his own out there.... i wont say anymore about how to get some :)

Big Pete

Referee
I don't understand the praise for Watts. He's the ultimate 2 steps forwards and 3 steps back player.

Shorty

Staff member
Pete, usually I'd agree with you but he improved tonight and stepped up....still silly errors but he injected some attack.

Ianc

Juniors
Are you telling me you thought he was fantastic?
He had made errors in defence especially goal line and dropped a bomb, I still don't think he's the best option at fullback but it looks like someone else will have a crack anyway.

Watts and Thurston in the halves with Payne at hooker next week, that looked good.

Swap those two & bring in Amos on the bench or better still put Ray in 7 & JT in 6.

That second option stands if Payne is out due to his ribs.

The forwards were bad but all deserve another run imo.