What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs. Roosters Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Soooooooo.... Thaiday says that Dodds is to blame for our loss.... :crazy:

"If ... Dodds stays square he defends that pass and that's what cost us the game"

I very much hope that's not what he really thinks cost us the game.

Big Pete

Referee
Out of context.

He was asked whether or not he thought the forward pass cost us the game. He was speaking purely about the incident.

Nevcost

Juniors
The thing that annoyed was the players just laid down in the tackles like beached whales not even attempting the quick play the ball, whilst our dummy half just casually strolls to the play the ball area. If we keep doing that the defense will keep rushing us and we'll have no space to get to the line we end up running backwards. Also we can't get penalties for roosters slowing the play the ball if we don't attempt to speed it up.

Last edited:

austyphoon

Juniors
Reed has become virtually useless.

Sadly agree.

Was a massive fan of Reed's (I think everyone was in 2011) but he is, as you said, pretty much useless. NEVER passes to Hoffman, is slow, trips over his own feet, has dropped the ball QUITE a lot and has made some shocking defensive errors.

We NEED someone fast so if we spread the ball out wide we can use that speed and either get on the outside of the defence or break through. I can't see that happening when we have Reed one side and Gillett/Stag on the other....

And the biggest problem is Hook NEVER drops a player...ever! With the form we have been in since the 10 game mark last year, players would, and should have been dropped.

Not at the Broncos though, our defence is GREAT! (which it's not)

We wouldn't have to be defending our line so much if we could stop EVERY SINGLE TEAM from making 80m sets!!!! We just cannot keep up with a team that has quick play the balls.

I hope they get pounded by the Storm. I want to see some change. I don't care if we lose with the changes, I just want us to try! And no, changes doesn't mean the same players in different positions Hook!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The simply horrifying component of last night is the fact that Hook thinks everything is on track...

Broncos coach Griffin refused to be too critical of his players, despite their lack of attacking prowess.

"It wasn't a step backwards in effort. I thought it was just a real good tight game of footy," Griffin said.

"We had our chances and the Roosters were good enough to turn up and I thought we turned up all night on them as well.

"It's just one of those games and it was always going to be one of those games, a real slugfest, and they got that one try which was the difference."

It speaks volumes to me that Griffin actually enjoyed what took place last night.

Reidy87

Juniors
Ridiculous that we can be tackled 45 times in the opposition's 20 and not score one point - and then Hook says all is fine.

We are what the Dragon's were last week - "Well we won but the opposing team has no structure in attack, poor halves and no real threat to the line".

user_nat

Coach
The simply horrifying component of last night is the fact that Hook thinks everything is on track...

Broncos coach Griffin refused to be too critical of his players, despite their lack of attacking prowess.

"It wasn't a step backwards in effort. I thought it was just a real good tight game of footy," Griffin said.

"We had our chances and the Roosters were good enough to turn up and I thought we turned up all night on them as well.

"It's just one of those games and it was always going to be one of those games, a real slugfest, and they got that one try which was the difference."

It speaks volumes to me that Griffin actually enjoyed what took place last night.

Screw you Griffin, seriously.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
The thing that annoyed was the players just laid down in the tackles like beached whales not even attempting the quick play the ball, whilst our dummy half just casually strolls to the play the ball area. If we keep doing that the defense will keep rushing us and we'll have no space to get to the line we end up running backwards. Also we can't get penalties for roosters slowing the play the ball if we don't attempt to speed it up.

The play the balls were so slow because we always run one out and got dominated by 2/3 defenders who consistently put our players on our back.

The Roosters always had players in motion.

Boy

Juniors
That had to be the worst I have ever seen the broncos
So many wasted chances that highlights our pass it to hodges and hope he performs magic
Strategy
Get rid of hook
Get Dugan
Get bennet

Strangely enough I liked Hoffman and hunts performances
But thaiday needs to be shot for that comment about dodds
A captain should never blame or single out a player to the media

Maranta played really well I thought starting to really get to know his position

Jason Simmons

Juniors
In the final ignominy from last night, Broncos staff blocked media access to their players after that game, so the Broncos are going to be cited by the NRL for breaching media guidelines...

And Thaiday needs to be stood down immediately for naming and blaming Dodds for that try and for playing like absolute rubbish for the last year +.

That try didn't cost them the game. They had overwhelmingly dominant possession and field position and couldn't score an effing point.

THAT cost them the game and trying to shift the blame for their poor performance to that one particular incident is disgraceful.

Thaiday obviously picked up a ton on all those leadership courses they keep raving on about...

Delboy

First Grade
As a Parra fan that watches Ben Roberts every week, I thought that was bad enough, then last night I sat through Wallace and Prince.........surely there must be someone better than thosen2 in Qld.

I am not having a dig at the Broncos, just an observation of the past 2 rounds

austyphoon

Juniors
As a Parra fan that watches Ben Roberts every week, I thought that was bad enough, then last night I sat through Wallace and Prince.........surely there must be someone better than thosen2 in Qld.

I have faith (or maybe hope!) that Prince can come good. I'm just putting it down to getting use to a new club. I remember one play last night, as soon as he got the ball he had Thaiday and another player almost sitting on his lap, they were that close. Was that Prince's fault or were those two players running the wrong lines???

Wallace on the other hand has shown nothing after his first 5 games. Remember when people were saying that the Panthers were mad letting him go??? Bet you they quickly retracted that statement!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
In the final ignominy from last night, Broncos staff blocked media access to their players after that game, so the Broncos are going to be cited by the NRL for breaching media guidelines...

And Thaiday needs to be stood down immediately for naming and blaming Dodds for that try and for playing like absolute rubbish for the last year +.

That try didn't cost them the game. They had overwhelmingly dominant possession and field position and couldn't score an effing point.

THAT cost them the game and trying to shift the blame for their poor performance to that one particular incident is disgraceful.

Thaiday obviously picked up a ton on all those leadership courses they keep raving on about...

Agree. Even if it was out of context, for him in the same sentence to single out a player and say "cost us the game" is really poor form imo. Imagine how Dodds is feeling right now.

Despite my next comment being irrelevant, even if the Roosters don't score that try they win with a single penalty goal anyway :crazy:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

You're right Prince has looked just as lost as Wallace. But at least Prince has some agility and appears to have at least a few creative bones in his body. Something to be thankful for.

And is there someone better in QLD not already playing for another club? That's a good question. We actually have a halfback who sits on the bench playing reserve hooker. I'm not saying that he is the answer, but he has never been given an extended opportunity. Even if he does get a crack now, does he still remember how to play halfback after spending all this time playing hooker?

To me Hook has got this very wrong indeed. Either Wallace/Hunt should be mastering their craft in QLD cup, and either Baptiste/Granville, who are actual hookers btw, should be giving McCullough a rest (and putting pressure on his starting position as well!)

Bretto

Bench
The few games Hunt started at Halfback last year he actually played well. He has attacking flair for sure and actually has vision, unlike Wallace. Wallace is much more suited to a distribution role (hooker), with Hunt and Prince in the halves.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
The few games Hunt started at Halfback last year he actually played well. He has attacking flair for sure and actually has vision, unlike Wallace. Wallace is much more suited to a distribution role (hooker), with Hunt and Prince in the halves.

Yep I'd be happy to give this a go too.

Latest posts