What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs Sharks

thebigredv

First Grade
Every team goes through stages where they're doing it tough. This is where your game manager steps up and changes the momentum of the game.

We have not had a real game manager for years and years, Widdop wasn't and Hunt isn't. We desperately need that player that understands how to maintain pressure on the opposition and take the pressure off his own team. Forget all the other stats one of our worst is the small number of restarts we manufacture on last tackle.

If you watched Jonathon Thurston play he would be both sides of the play the ball and would be looking to attack every play the ball except where he sensed a restart was needed when he would kick for the ingoal. He didn't waste many settles when he had a chance to attack and his attack was varied, dummy and run, short pass outside or inside, attacking kick, out the back or even a pass back across the ruck. Compare this to Hunt getting Lawrie to take soft settles when we are in a position to attack to give Hunt time to organise something.
100% spot on. We have an okay set of players at times. When we are playing at our best we can compete with most other teams but for so, so long we are devoid of game management, making the smart play and just finding composure as a team.

It's not natural for Hunt. For example, when the Sharks blatantly knocked on the other night near their own line, he was going to sit on the player until the ref blew the whistle so he could challenge but he chickened out half way through. Someone like Munster wouldn't have given it a second thought. Not to criticise him, he generally has the best head on his shoulders of any of our players but it doesn't seem to permeate the team with him in charge. I'd say McInness and Frizell were better 'leaders' and they did so by example. We haven't had an out-an-out captain since Hornby.

I'm not that interested in chopping and changing the team at this point. I just want to see this aspect of leadership and poor game awareness/mental ineptitude leave us.

Dragon David

First Grade
Every team goes through stages where they're doing it tough. This is where your game manager steps up and changes the momentum of the game.

We have not had a real game manager for years and years, Widdop wasn't and Hunt isn't. We desperately need that player that understands how to maintain pressure on the opposition and take the pressure off his own team. Forget all the other stats one of our worst is the small number of restarts we manufacture on last tackle.

If you watched Jonathon Thurston play he would be both sides of the play the ball and would be looking to attack every play the ball except where he sensed a restart was needed when he would kick for the ingoal. He didn't waste many settles when he had a chance to attack and his attack was varied, dummy and run, short pass outside or inside, attacking kick, out the back or even a pass back across the ruck. Compare this to Hunt getting Lawrie to take soft settles when we are in a position to attack to give Hunt time to organise something.
How is it that many of us see the deficiencies and what is needed as shown by Carlton's words? Why hasn't a better game manager been signed up or trained to be in the side?

There are just too many shortcomings due to the short sightedness of our officials who should know these things and if they do, they haven't been applying due diligence to our recruitment of right players. Maybe a very fit Sullivan might be that person. We really haven't seen much of him and while many here think that we are blooding Sloan and Amone too early, including me, the spine of those 3 together with Hunt at hooker might have to take place and could very well work.

BBTB

Juniors
How is it that many of us see the deficiencies and what is needed as shown by Carlton's words? Why hasn't a better game manager been signed up or trained to be in the side?

There are just too many shortcomings due to the short sightedness of our officials who should know these things and if they do, they haven't been applying due diligence to our recruitment of right players. Maybe a very fit Sullivan might be that person. We really haven't seen much of him and while many here think that we are blooding Sloan and Amone too early, including me, the spine of those 3 together with Hunt at hooker might have to take place and could very well work.
Those three need to spend time in Reserve grade.Three
Green new recruits in our spine. Unheard of,and just not right.

BLM01

First Grade
100% spot on. We have an okay set of players at times. When we are playing at our best we can compete with most other teams but for so, so long we are devoid of game management, making the smart play and just finding composure as a team.

It's not natural for Hunt. For example, when the Sharks blatantly knocked on the other night near their own line, he was going to sit on the player until the ref blew the whistle so he could challenge but he chickened out half way through. Someone like Munster wouldn't have given it a second thought. Not to criticise him, he generally has the best head on his shoulders of any of our players but it doesn't seem to permeate the team with him in charge. I'd say McInness and Frizell were better 'leaders' and they did so by example. We haven't had an out-an-out captain since Hornby.

I'm not that interested in chopping and changing the team at this point. I just want to see this aspect of leadership and poor game awareness/mental ineptitude leave us.
I strongly disagree with you comparison that Hunt is a far inferior captain than Friz or McInnes in the context of your reasons why.
Not saying Hunt is the best captain either as both those players led ny example big time but so does Hunt.
Frizz never spoke and McInnes never did more than Hunt does in regards to challenging decisions

thebigredv

First Grade
I strongly disagree with you comparison that Hunt is a far inferior captain than Friz or McInnes in the context of your reasons why.
Not saying Hunt is the best captain either as both those players led ny example big time but so does Hunt.
Frizz never spoke and McInnes never did more than Hunt does in regards to challenging decisions
I didn't say they were better captains hence the word 'leader' is quoted but I do think they could inspire the team through their efforts. I wouldn't rate any of them as captains as they aren't vocal.

Hunt is the best player of the three but I don't think he is a natural leader despite his experience. We are shot for choices at the club and there aren't many alternatives. We play a very sporadic game devoid of a James Graham type to rally the troops when things are going good or especially when they go pear shaped.

randomdragon

Juniors
Anyone realise how much they blew up last week and consider our performance wasn’t actually that bad? Knights didn’t even score a try last night and had their best team on the park in good conditions. Sharks won 4 tries to none, knights beat roosters don’t forget

dannyt

Coach
The players are there, they just didn't turn up to play. Sharks on the other hand were switched on throughout.
I wonder if coach Griffin fully understands the rivalry between the two clubs
Or how desperately Fitzgibbon would've wanted to win the first game as head coach against the team he spurned 20 years ago.

dannyt

Coach
Anyone realise how much they blew up last week and consider our performance wasn’t actually that bad? Knights didn’t even score a try last night and had their best team on the park in good conditions. Sharks won 4 tries to none, knights beat roosters don’t forget
Let's see how the sharks go against the riff, or the rorters like they played against the cows.