What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Tigers

GongPanther

Referee
I guess it is positive that we can play like shit for 4 games and still be 2-2. The question is, is this shit the new normal, or are we genuinely a good side going through a rough patch? Thoughts?
A rough patch as you say. But it is undeniable that a lot of the form has to do with the off field stuff. As a fan, I always look to the positive and be comforted by the fact that this poor form will come good.

tripster

Juniors
Serious questions will be asked if we don't put at least 20 on the Gold Coast next week. While they shouldn't be underestimated, they are a far worse defensive outfit than the teams we have played so far. I am hoping they will play us into form with a big win. If we have the same attitude in defence the points should come.

Hopefully GC pick Cartwright in their team.

chrisD

Coach
We could put 60 on the Titans and I'd back us to put on less than 12 against the Sharks. We have a middle of the pack roster, one of the bottom three attacks but very good defence(besides our back 3 being mongs).

We had at limited times good attack under Cleary's first reign and Griffin, but honestly I felt it was always due to individual's skills rather than any coaching. We have always been crap in the ruck. And defence was fairly strong after each coach got a handful of games in. This situation just feels like the same, but with less talent than we've had for a while.

Pomoz

Bench
I think we need to be realistic though, he’s likely one of the lowest paid first grade hookers in the game, who hasn’t played a full season at 9 & played a lot of ressies in the back row, yet people are judging him as if he should be Cam Smith.

Our forwards are literally running one off the ruck most plays, doesn’t leave him a lot of room to be unpredictable. Last night he should of had a try assist - through his own creativity, he defended well, his service was solid all night, made 1 error & people are giving him a 4? Doesn’t make sense.

I think it’s much easier to say our Hooker is shit rather than acknowledge at the moment our entire attacking structure is poor.
You are way of target martielang. There is no way our attacking structure is poor, it's much worse than that.

I also watched the replay and Mansour could’ve had two tries! He was unlucky with the near-try that he scored off the Tigers drop ball and pick up by Cleary. Had he not fumbled the ball in the air, he was in for a six pointer

Pomoz

Bench
If you look at the stats, they show that we made more running metres and more metres every set. Every forward, excluding Sele and the hookers made 100m plus. Our average play the ball speed was faster than the Tigers. The forwards did their job.

The backs made 9 errors. They made 2 hit ups and 9 tackle breaks (4 of those were Josh Mansour). The Tigers backs made 5 errors, 10 hit ups and 16 tackle breaks.

Our backs are out of form, unfit and a tad lazy. We have no thrust in attack and not all of it is because of Cleary and Maloney and a lack of go forward.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Lazy. Unfit No I don't agree.

Yes they are out of form. Lacking confidence.

It must be remembered DWZ, Nathan and Jimmy are all comming back from off season surgery.

There pre season was limited.

Edwards is comming back from a long layoff. They are down on confidence. I believe they will bounce back.

franklin2323

Immortal
If you look at the stats, they show that we made more running metres and more metres every set. Every forward, excluding Sele and the hookers made 100m plus. Our average play the ball speed was faster than the Tigers. The forwards did their job.

The backs made 9 errors. They made 2 hit ups and 9 tackle breaks (4 of those were Josh Mansour). The Tigers backs made 5 errors, 10 hit ups and 16 tackle breaks.

Our backs are out of form, unfit and a tad lazy. We have no thrust in attack and not all of it is because of Cleary and Maloney and a lack of go forward.

2 examples. Blake hits a gap gives it too the winger the Blake of old would steam into that gap.

Mansour dropped on that was on his chest. Cleary makes a break Mansour juggles and falls over.

It is why I say with Edwards. Dropping only him does nothing everyone is out of form

hindy111

Post Whore
My take.
Tigers played safer footy and made less errors.
Panthers where error riddled but played footy and could of had 3 or 4 more tries.
People said Tigers where better side. Based on errors yes they where. But I thought the Panthers defended great.

On the hookers. Panthers have had 4 games and all in the wet. Not much space for them to do a lot. I would relax on them a little till we see some dry weather footy. Wet means a slug fest.
Guys like Maloney, Blake Kikau are not anywhere near effective in wet.
James Tamou has been awesome and on form one of the best props in game. With time RCG will get back to form. Kikau,Yeo JFH. Thats a great pack.
Sele and Leota on bench are fine. Hopefully someon e steps up from NSW cup.

In the backs is a bit different. Mansour seems a shadow of self but gets through work. Just slow. Edwards is average. Blake and DWZ have a bit of spark. Whare is solid. Team just lacks some speed. Bevan French might be a nice addition for fullback I reckon. DWZ is a better option then Edwards and runs hard but he doeant have the ball playing ability or kicking game I would want in a fullback. And with 2 x hookers who are not offering a lot in attack it puts all the pressure on Cleary and Maloney. Cleary is more a game management style player. So it becomes Maloney trickery to crack teams.....

TheFrog

Coach
Hopefully GC pick Cartwright in their team.
Bryce has played the full 80 in the last 2 matches. He was quite busy against the Rabbitohs and slightly less so this time, but he did get through a bit of defence. He's been on the tackling bags for sure. Positive signs for him. I'm sure he'd love to spoil our day Moylan style.

Abacus

Juniors
Watched a replay of the game this morning. Interestingly the team's performance wasn't as bad as I remembered.

For the first 23 minutes the Panthers were on top. Then a couple of "errors" - JFH drop with Farah's hand apparently having no impact despite being there or thereabouts; and the call against Edwards. On the back of those calls, the Tigers scored from a good grubber behind the line.

From our 1st set following the restart, Edwards throws a long ball to Mansour who dropped it. The defense holds up, penalty to the Panthers and we attack until a Maloney knock-on right before half-time.

In the 2nd half, Tigers got their 2nd try following back-to-back penalties - I thought both were there but pretty soft with Edwards hit for tackling in the air and Yeo's crusher.

Following that, Panthers again dominated but had silly errors with forward passes.

In general I thought the team actually tried to more with the ball than I remembered - commentators noted that it was difficult conditions for catch-and-pass (which the Panthers were doing). We didn't employ the grubber behind the line much which the Tigers did well. Finally, I thought the attack around the ruck was better one Egan got on. He got caught once resulting in am error but it just seemed the team were able to punch through a bit more.

I think the team took the wrong tactics into this game but didn't play badly overall - certainly didn't handle playing from behind well though. Nice to see they're not playing their best footy yet - I'd rather they come good post-Origin instead of pre-Origin like last year.

mxlegend99

Referee
So we had a try overturned which obviously shouldn't have been. One not even referred to the bunker which the NRL admits was a try....

And we have no right to complain about the referees? The Tigers first try was off a referee f**k up also... we shouldnt have been defending our line.

So referee mistakes account for 2 tries not awarded to us and giving the Tigers the opportunity to score their first against us. That's 12 to 16 points against us. Depending on the kicks of the Mansour and Kikau tried

If Esan Masters kicks one goal we lose a game because of those decisions..as it stands now they affect our F/A.

We played poorly. But things look far worse when the tries you are scoring aren't awarded

GongPanther

Referee
So we had a try overturned which obviously shouldn't have been. One not even referred to the bunker which the NRL admits was a try....

And we have no right to complain about the referees? The Tigers first try was off a referee f**k up also... we shouldnt have been defending our line.

So referee mistakes account for 2 tries not awarded to us and giving the Tigers the opportunity to score their first against us. That's 12 to 16 points against us. Depending on the kicks of the Mansour and Kikau tried

If Esan Masters kicks one goal we lose a game because of those decisions..as it stands now they affect our F/A.

We played poorly. But things look far worse when the tries you are scoring aren't awarded
The big question is why didn't the refs follow the usual protocol for this situation?

Every chance the refs get, especially the 1st round, they go up for the most obvious outcomes. How on earth was this any different?

mxlegend99

Referee
Refs make mistakes, move on.
There's a multi million dollar bunker available to help reduce the referee making mistakes when a try is scored. Refs check everything in goal... sometimes knowing a try wasnt scored just to see who should get the ball.

Yet our player is on the line and refs ignore him and rule it an error. They check it everytime even when it looks like a 1% chance a try was scored. Just not THIS time... its an inexcusable mistake considering the standard practice is to go to the bunker.

The mistakes like Edwards error you have to cop. It was a bad call but the ref didnt have the option to refer it to a bunker and get the correct call. He has to call those as they appear to him.

But being denied a try because the ref refused to use a resource to check it... f**k that. Refs dont deserve to be forgiven for that shit

TheFrog

Coach
But being denied a try because the ref refused to use a resource to check it... f**k that. Refs dont deserve to be forgiven for that shit
If it had caused a result to be reversed he would be expected to be in reggies. It's a bad blue. Kikau and the Panthers didn't get up celebrating though.