What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Dolphins Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Dolphins vs. Brisbane Broncos
Suncorp Stadium, Friday 24 March 2023
Kick Off: 7:05pm (AEST)

DOL2022TEAM.png

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Euan Aitken 4. Brenko Lee 5. Tesi Niu 6. Isaiya Katoa 7. Sean O'Sullivan 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Kodi Nikorima 10. Kenny Bromwich 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Connelly Lemuelu 13. Tom Gilbert

14. Jarrod Wallace 15. Mark Nicholls 16. Ray Stone 17. Mason Teague

18. Poasa Faamausili 19. Kurt Donoghoe 20. JJ Collins 21. Anthony Milford 22. Robert Jennings

BRI2023TEAM.png

1. Reece Walsh 2. Jesse Arthars 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix 15. Keenan Palasia 16. Corey Jensen 17. Martin Taupau

18. Deine Mariner 19. Brendan Piakura 20. Kobe Hetherington 21. Jock Madden 22. Xavier Willison​

Big Pete

Referee
50,000+ are expected to be on hand for the first ever Battle of Brisbane as the Dolphins host the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

I cast my mind back to 2007 when the Gold Coast Titans hosted the Broncos. The defending premiers weren't traveling well at 1-3, but after a reassuring win against the Roosters appeared to be primed for the competition newcomers. Instead the Titans handled everything the Broncos threw at them and blew them away in the second half, hopefully the Broncos can avoid a similar fate.

Broncos are 1-17 with Kobe Hetherington appearing on the bench. Kobe's affiliate club has the bye this week, so he'll likely sit out the next couple of weeks until he gets himself right. Of all the players, Kobe would have to be one of the Broncos most underrated and he provides plenty of momentum around the ruck.

I'm expecting the Broncos to play off of Reynolds kicking game. I expect both Isaako and Niu will be tested thoroughly under the high ball and the Broncos will be looking to create some opportunities through that. I'll be interested to see how they attack inside the 20m. So far they've really had to back their skill and fitness to get home, but I'd like to see the halves take more charge inside that 20m zone.

Defensively they could improve as well. They've been a little soft in that facet and players like Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Kodi Nikorima etc. are dangerous off the back of offloads. Nikorima in particular is going to be such a key player for them, so targetting him through the ruck will have to be a priorty.

Typically the Broncos turn it on for Bennett coached teams. Even at their worst they still managed to beat the Rabbitohs so I think they'll be up for this and have too much strike for the Dolphins.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos 18 (Jesse Arthars, Selwyn Cobbo, Kurt Capewell, Kotoni Staggs tries; Adam Reynolds 1/4 goals) def. Dolphins 12

4-0

In front of 51,000+ fans, the Broncos emerged victorious after a gruelling contest in the first ever Battle of Brisbane.

In a game that was more about stopping tries than scoring tries, both teams produced a number of try-saving efforts. The media is highlight Walsh's tackle on a one-legged Niu and Ezra's effort on Isaako in the corner, but one important stoppage was Haas & Walsh on Teague. It was early in the contest and it was one of those moments the Broncos could have easily clocked off on, but they were able to recover and defend another set of six.

Then later in the contest you had Carrigan & Walsh combining to bring Stone down just short. Then when the Dolphins had the numbers out-wide, Capewell did well to stay alive to force Isaako back in-field and force a do or die kick from Milford.

The Broncos created plenty of opportunities, but the passing game cost them at various stages. Either they weren't on the mark, or they pushed it when they still had tackles up their sleeve. Still, Walsh has ignited their attacking structures and they're scoring more through the hands than through their kicks which makes them even harder to defend.

I still think they have some concerns in defence. The only player who is consistently making good first contact is Staggs with the rest just happy to make their tackles. They still traditionally defend like the Broncos where they slide well, but if teams target the edges they will find success.

Walsh also has a weakness with his positioning and can be exposed with a kick behind the line. Townsend exploited it to get his team back into the game, and Milford laid on a deft kick for the Hammer. It's something the Tigers will be looking at on the weekend and they have plenty of kick options in Api, Brooks, Wakeham, Doueihi, Bateman among others.

Still to come away with a win against a team that played like their lives depended on it was a great result and a great experience for the some of the young charges. Kotoni Staggs running the length and gesturing 'This Is Our House' is going to be one of those moments that will live on in Rugby League folklore.