What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Eels

No surprise from me, but I don’t see any positives. The decision to drop Sloan and move Amone to the bench was pure McGregor. Mbye is Lafai #2. Slow and busted. Bird isn’t a five eighth.

We’ve made one bet: Sloan, Amone and Sullivan are the future. For this year and probably next, they should’ve been in the side if fit, first three chosen through thick and thin. If they’re not up to it, we gambled and lost. There’s no one on the market this season to replace them and Redcliffe will have first shot at anyone good. Webb and Griffin knew that when they rolled the dice. So it’s all in.

We might still have lost 14-48 with Sloan at fullback and Amone outside Hunt, but it would have been more first grade experience under their belts, a bit more learning and bit more chance to work out what needs to be coached into their respective games.

We are shit now. McGregor level shit. But that’s not Sloan and Amone’s fault. It’s the fault of another off-season of poor recruitment and poor strategic decision making at board, CEO and coaching levels. Griffin has deserved the benefit of the doubt, but now he’s into his second season, the forwards are as bad as they’ve been at any point in the past decade with nothing to suggest they can reach a higher ceiling and to give up on Sloan and Amone three games in while at the same time rushing McCullough back into the starting side can’t be argued away as anything but pure rubbish coaching. For me, it’s sackable with Flanagan in the building – a coach who at least has a premiership on his cv.

It's possible that we’ll never win a comp with Sloan, Amone and Sullivan in the side. I’m not a believer in the slow-growth-through-junior-development model of success for suburban teams. I think you have to balance that with ambitious recruitment. But it’s 100% guaranteed that we won’t win a premiership with Mbye anywhere, Bird at five eighth, McCullough at dummy half, Aaron Woods in the front row or George Burgess as a cultural leader. It’s a 100% guaranteed that those players don’t bring anything that improves us or even moves us in the right direction.

slippery5

Juniors
Sorry Old Timer.....but I watched the young kids have 44 put on them in reserve grade yesterday and they looked totally demoralised. In fact Sloane was so frustrated he got sent to the sin bin and he's not that sort of player. Looking at reserve grade yesterday the kids will learn nothing playing in that team..the team as a whole did not try and showed no respect for the jersey and I see that culture in the first grade side.
Oh Sh.t ..................

Aaron Woods in the front row
I was with you on every word up to this. Where else do you play a former Kangaroo prop. We dont want George as a cultural leader.. but an impact forward to come off the bench and bend the line, run over small players , create second phase play, and smash (legally) everyone in his path with ball in hand.. The bloke is a monstrous 125K with a renewed desire to play with our famous club.

slippery5

Juniors
No surprise from me, but I don’t see any positives. The decision to drop Sloan and move Amone to the bench was pure McGregor. Mbye is Lafai #2. Slow and busted. Bird isn’t a five eighth.

We’ve made one bet: Sloan, Amone and Sullivan are the future. For this year and probably next, they should’ve been in the side if fit, first three chosen through thick and thin. If they’re not up to it, we gambled and lost. There’s no one on the market this season to replace them and Redcliffe will have first shot at anyone good. Webb and Griffin knew that when they rolled the dice. So it’s all in.

We might still have lost 14-48 with Sloan at fullback and Amone outside Hunt, but it would have been more first grade experience under their belts, a bit more learning and bit more chance to work out what needs to be coached into their respective games.

We are shit now. McGregor level shit. But that’s not Sloan and Amone’s fault. It’s the fault of another off-season of poor recruitment and poor strategic decision making at board, CEO and coaching levels. Griffin has deserved the benefit of the doubt, but now he’s into his second season, the forwards are as bad as they’ve been at any point in the past decade with nothing to suggest they can reach a higher ceiling and to give up on Sloan and Amone three games in while at the same time rushing McCullough back into the starting side can’t be argued away as anything but pure rubbish coaching. For me, it’s sackable with Flanagan in the building – a coach who at least has a premiership on his cv.

It's possible that we’ll never win a comp with Sloan, Amone and Sullivan in the side. I’m not a believer in the slow-growth-through-junior-development model of success for suburban teams. I think you have to balance that with ambitious recruitment. But it’s 100% guaranteed that we won’t win a premiership with Mbye anywhere, Bird at five eighth, McCullough at dummy half, Aaron Woods in the front row or George Burgess as a cultural leader. It’s a 100% guaranteed that those players don’t bring anything that improves us or even moves us in the right direction.
Agree, Question:how many local surburbans are in the Storm side?
Answer: 1

Dragon David

First Grade
He was too slow when we signed him...

When we did sign him the forum was flooded with praise and i posted at the time that i didn't think people really understood just what we were signing.

Signing a 31 year old, coming of a hamstring tear, who was universally recognised as one of the slowest hookers in the comp, to a three year deal, was absolutely bonkers. I remember people actually posting that McCullough was a "like for like" for McInnes. That really did give me a good laugh at the time and still does just typing it today.

The game has evolved. Your dummy half has to be quick, agile and creative. McCullough is none of those things. And it's questionable if he ever was that type of player.

This isn't a Hook bash up. I've endorsed many of his signings (Molo, Su'a, Suli and Bird) but McCullough was a massive miscalculation.

And the worst part is that he's on the books for next year as well.

Unbelievable...
Unbelievably true!

Dragon David

First Grade
Sorry Old Timer.....but I watched the young kids have 44 put on them in reserve grade yesterday and they looked totally demoralised. In fact Sloane was so frustrated he got sent to the sin bin and he's not that sort of player. Looking at reserve grade yesterday the kids will learn nothing playing in that team..the team as a whole did not try and showed no respect for the jersey and I see that culture in the first grade side.
Where has it all gone wrong then? Are they only banking on the girls winning the comp against the Roosters next weekend and not caring about the other footy teams? We are/were to be a stronger club going forward but we seem to be well and truly going backwards.

Dragon David

First Grade

That in a nutshell Dr.

BLM01

First Grade
I am as disappointed as anybody after that 2nd half.
I am not hitting the panic button yet as some are but will give them to the Anzac game to show improvement then hit the button.
Everything starts from the ruck..so if no improvement over next 3 games start with hooker
Hunt..Mybe to bench to support when needed. Macca to reggies
If fit the 3 muskateers to fill the other spine and learn on the job. If we lose every game so be it but Hook will be cut and Flanno will take over as is starting to look after recruitment anyway
If that happens..let Flanno choose his support staff. bye bye Haran, Head & Gentle.
Cody Ramsay has proved he is our best option ATM on the flanks. Bird back to edge backrower
The forwards I am OK with especially when others come back and depth
Sims was the best last night in attack funnily enough and Molo punching holes when he was on.
As much as I rate Blocker he is easy bait for a brain explosion and falls for it everytime... similar to what Lodge was like and now Flegler :)

Delboy

First Grade
As an Eels fan at the game, must say the defence of Suli was pretty impressive, apart from getting stood up by Penisini, which can happen to any centre, he stopped numerous raids down his side. Tackles on Cartwright and Papali’i basically stopped them scoring.

He and Sims were contributors all game, just a lack of something that seemed to spread as the game went on, by the way Sloan was pretty ordinary in Reggies.

Mojo

Bench
Unbelievably true!
Yes. I dont like bagging players but hooker is such a critical role - always was but even more so the way the game is played these days. There's also so much pressure on Hunt FFS. Week after week it's like Hunt trying to win the game for us with12 other blokes having a bit of a run with him. This is footy guys, not a magic show!. I know Sullivan has been injured but, at the first opportunity, we need to put Hunt into hooker (and leave him in that position! He's a better hooker than halfback anyway!) and let's get this Sloan, Amone, Sullivan thing happening ASAP. Bring those young blokes up to speed - like other clubs do! That's what coaching is! We've got all our eggs in two baskets and both have holes in them! We have to make good. I hate the way this club is becoming a laughing stock. These other teams are looking exceptional against us because we're playing such bad football. That's all. No doubt the reserve grade is playing poorly because progressing into this first grade side is looking more and more like career suicide.

PS: Mbye is a bench utility - play him that way! We also bought a Pommy giant who sits as a spectator! Plus we run Amone at the end of the game after we've been flogged. Now I'm bloody angry!

The only good thing is that Provan and Raper aren't here to see it.

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
Can't tackle, can't run and can't hold the ball. I did a Bellamy when Bird ran a Dufty line and dumped the ball to a standing still Sims. I can handle a loss when players give their all, but last night was just a bumbling, ploddy, fumbling effort.
Hook's retirement village is an insult to everyone who loves the club unconditionally.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
It often makes me wonder if some of our players believe that they simply kit themselves out on game day in their boots , shorts , socks and the Big Red V jersey and they automatically become rugby league players ?

There is no heart ,soul , nor true leader in the Dragons at present and as we are now beginning to realise , the coaching leaves a lot to be desired also .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes. I dont like bagging players but hooker is such a critical role - always was but even more so the way the game is played these days. There's also so much pressure on Hunt FFS. Week after week it's like Hunt trying to win the game for us with12 other blokes having a bit of a run with him. This is footy guys, not a magic show!. I know Sullivan has been injured but, at the first opportunity, we need to put Hunt into hooker (and leave him in that position! He's a better hooker than halfback anyway!) and let's get this Sloan, Amone, Sullivan thing happening ASAP. Bring those young blokes up to speed - like other clubs do! That's what coaching is! We've got all our eggs in two baskets and both have holes in them! We have to make good. I hate the way this club is becoming a laughing stock. These other teams are looking exceptional against us because we're playing such bad football. That's all. No doubt the reserve grade is playing poorly because progressing into this first grade side is looking more and more like career suicide.

PS: Mbye is a bench utility - play him that way! We also bought a Pommy giant who sits as a spectator! Plus we run Amone at the end of the game after we've been flogged. Now I'm bloody angry!

The only good thing is that Provan and Raper aren't here to see it.
I've got a feeling that stubborn Hook will keep the spine as is - Mbye, Bird, Hunt and McCullough. He persists and persists until we are all red in the face with anger. Like so many here, it would be much better for the Young Ones (great Cliff Richard song) to be in the spine with Hunt at hooker for this year and the future subject to injuries/suspensions etc. That combination has to start as soon as possible. Win some and lose some but so much experience and confidence gained. We won't know how that combination will work until we try it and is a long time coming.

Mojo

Bench
I've got a feeling that stubborn Hook will keep the spine as is - Mbye, Bird, Hunt and McCullough. He persists and persists until we are all red in the face with anger. Like so many here, it would be much better for the Young Ones (great Cliff Richard song) to be in the spine with Hunt at hooker for this year and the future subject to injuries/suspensions etc. That combination has to start as soon as possible. Win some and lose some but so much experience and confidence gained. We won't know how that combination will work until we try it and is a long time coming.
God forbid Hunt cops an injury.

Dragon David

First Grade
It often makes me wonder if some of our players believe that they simply kit themselves out on game day in their boots , shorts , socks and the Big Red V jersey and they are automatically become rugby league players ?

There is no heart ,soul nor true leader in the Dragons at present and as we are now beginning to realise the coaching is leaves a lot to be desired .
I preferred it when we had leaders like Hornby who bled the red and white and captained the 2010 premiership side. We need a true red and white player running the team again. We had Widdop who was OK but not brought up in the area now Hunt the same. The red and white blood has got to run through the captain - most of the players seem like they are just happy to receive their money and just give a bit.

Latest posts