What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Eels

Mojo

Bench
I preferred it when we had leaders like Hornby who bled the red and white and captained the 2010 premiership side. We need a true red and white player running the team again. We had Widdop who was OK but not brought up in the area now Hunt the same. The red and white blood has got to run through the captain - most of the players seem like they are just happy to receive their money and just give a bit.
I know Clune wasn't a local boy but he had the red and white blood. He would be handy to have in the squad right now.

Parko1310

Juniors
I don’t think this team is a wooden spoon contender as some are saying. The reality is we’ve possibly played 3 of the top 4 this year out of 4 games. If not, definitely 3 of the top 6.

I was at the game though and it was concerning. Mbye was horrible at fullback and, whilst I have liked some of griffins past decisions, to select him there in the first place was misguided and never going to work. He didn’t understand how to defend in that position and made some basic errors. Bird at 5/8 as well was a shocking selection, he ran sideways all night and provided very little in that position. Defensively, he was also pretty poor. Starting Gos in the back row was another head scratcher. Constantly had his back turned in defence and was soft when they ran at him. Despite some of the hate for him on this forum, Ford came on there and did a much better job than Gos did. Came up with some effort plays as well that probably went unnoticed watching on TV.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but what I also found concerning was on my way into the stadium I saw Tatau Moga and Poasa leaving, literally minutes before kick off for first grade. Surely you stay around and watch the team play?

Positively, I thought despite his limited touches Mat Feagai continued his form from last year and was impressive. Much more solid than Ramsey I have to say and I think when Cody is back Feagai needs to continue to be selected over him.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
As i said last night pick and stick....for starters cut all this bullshit about the youngsters wont last a season playing in the top grade and their form warranted them being dropped yesterday etc etc.....Hunt to hooker, Sloan, Sullivan and Amone to make up the spine, Ramsey back on the wing when fit or Im happy with Feagai....Suli Lomax, Rava complete the backline (and stay there unless their form warrants changes).....the forwards Molo, Su'A, De Belin, Bird and Sims in every week then please yourself with Woods, Burgess, McGuire, Lawrie, Kerr and the others ....McCullough back to reggies and Mbye on the utility bench...all this wont happen but seriously whats there to lose....lets face it we are shit at the moment and at most times and have been since 2010

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
As i said last night pick and stick....for starters cut all this bullshit about the youngsters wont last a season playing in the top grade and their form warranted them being dropped yesterday etc etc.....Hunt to hooker, Sloan, Sullivan and Amone to make up the spine, Ramsey back on the wing when fit ....Suli Lomax, Rava complete the backline (and stay there unless their form warrants changes).....the forwards Molo, Su'A, De Belin, Bird and Sims in every week then please yourself with Woods, Burgess, McGuire, Lawrie, Kerr and the others each week..McCullough back to reggies and Mbye on the utility bench...all this wont happen but seriously whats there to lose....lets face it we are shit at the moment and at most times and have been since 2010
Yes, but that's a bloody good footy team on paper! Why do our coaches insist on shuffling it around like we're a bunch of desperados? That's your position son. Listen to your coach and master it or you're dropped. What's so fkn hard about that?

Same goes for the coaches - who must already be dangling by a gossamer thread, surely.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Another thing I don't get, is that we were in it. What happened at half time.

Also, Su`A, and Ramsey were out. Woods first game back and Burgess would have been on the bench and I may get hammered however, I think we are better with McGuire in the team.

Get Ramsey back, a settled pack, Moses back on the bench and after Amone and Slone get their "rest", we will be back in business or do I believe in Santa Claus.

Como Connection

First Grade
Another thing I don't get, is that we were in it. What happened at half time.

Also, Su`A, and Ramsey were out. Woods first game back and Burgess would have been on the bench and I may get hammered however, I think we are better with McGuire in the team.

Get Ramsey back, a settled pack, Moses back on the bench and after Amone and Slone get their "rest", we will be back in business or do I believe in Santa Claus.
McGuire is the forward leader we have missed since the suspension.
CC

SAP58

Juniors
Better choice of words perhaps?
The girls are tougher than this.
Perhaps, I was frustrated like all of us when I made this comment so fair call. I played the game for many years and have been watching it for many more & I simply do not think it is heading in the right direction. My comment was simply to say a good hard legitimate tackle is simply that not a penalty & report which is the way it is at present. I love the NRLW and respect their ability & watch all Dragons games and really enjoy them so if my "old school" comment upset anyone and was inappropriate I apologise.

Mojo

Bench
Perhaps, I was frustrated like all of us when I made this comment so fair call. I played the game for many years and have been watching it for many more & I simply do not think it is heading in the right direction. My comment was simply to say a good hard legitimate tackle is simply that not a penalty & report which is the way it is at present. I love the NRLW and respect their ability & watch all Dragons games and really enjoy them so if my "old school" comment upset anyone and was inappropriate I apologise.
No need for an apology IMO. I think the bar for the political correctness hurdle can be lowered just a little in a footy forum. I agreed with your comment anyway. It's a heavy body contact sport. Many of the things that get penalised these days are utterly ridiculous. Deliberately attempting to injure another player, or succeeding in doing so, has always penalisable at the refs discretion. It's not a ballet!

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Every team has plays running into the ball. We have plays that are in the face of the opposition and when the runner gets the ball it is when the defence is in his face. Can’t angle a run can’t do a cut out like I don’t get it I see the sharks run plays that are sweeping.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Every team has plays running into the ball. We have plays that are in the face of the opposition and when the runner gets the ball it is when the defence is in his face. Can’t angle a run can’t do a cut out like I don’t get it I see the sharks run plays that are sweeping.
Makes me wonder what they are watch when they do a video training session! Can't be other teams surely and the way they play.😳😳

Gareth67

First Grade
Makes me wonder what they are watch when they do a video training session! Can't be other teams surely and the way they play.😳😳

7E7D73A0-0D4A-4E8E-AE9F-1043618BDAAF.jpeg
I hate to say it , but I am getting the feeling that Griffin gives them each a bag of pop-corn , flicks the light switch off and plays the above video , before sneaking out the backdoor . 😳

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I just don't want to hear the coach say "McCullogh comes back in to the side because of his combination with Hunt" or I will do a Harold Holt & keep swimming.
Never understood the signing & never will......................

100%.......Look at the teams that have go forward and continuously test the opposition packs stamina with their darts from dummy half and their hookers abilities to give quick service and speed off the mark.... ie Cook for Souths, Marney for Eels, Smith & Grant for Storm, Koroisau for Panthers to name a few ......nothing personal against McCullough but imo Hunt would be a better proposition for us moving forward

Dragon David

First Grade
I don’t think this team is a wooden spoon contender as some are saying. The reality is we’ve possibly played 3 of the top 4 this year out of 4 games. If not, definitely 3 of the top 6.

I was at the game though and it was concerning. Mbye was horrible at fullback and, whilst I have liked some of griffins past decisions, to select him there in the first place was misguided and never going to work. He didn’t understand how to defend in that position and made some basic errors. Bird at 5/8 as well was a shocking selection, he ran sideways all night and provided very little in that position. Defensively, he was also pretty poor. Starting Gos in the back row was another head scratcher. Constantly had his back turned in defence and was soft when they ran at him. Despite some of the hate for him on this forum, Ford came on there and did a much better job than Gos did. Came up with some effort plays as well that probably went unnoticed watching on TV.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but what I also found concerning was on my way into the stadium I saw Tatau Moga and Poasa leaving, literally minutes before kick off for first grade. Surely you stay around and watch the team play?

Positively, I thought despite his limited touches Mat Feagai continued his form from last year and was impressive. Much more solid than Ramsey I have to say and I think when Cody is back Feagai needs to continue to be selected over him.
The errors of Hooks's ways. Mbye has more or less been in several positions since he joined us and doesn't know Arthur from Martha when he has to chop and change from bench, hooker, half, fullback. That is the reason why we signed him I guess but not all utility players can excel in every position. He did play fullback at the Tigers in a number of games when Daine Laurie was out with an injury and wasn't too bad. But wasn't too bad is not the same as great is it?

The problem with Hook is if a player or players have off games, he tends to change things with no due consideration and maybe too soon - wasn't the case with Norman though. He should have just put Mbye in at 5/8th and kept Sloan at fullback and Amone on the bench as he was. Bird should have stayed as the second rower as he too is being used to some degree as a utility when he should just be in the second row where he hasn't played too badly.

To me Hook is doing to Sloan what he did with Dufty and that didn't go down too well.

Our troops don't appear to have the right attitude at the moment. Hook better gee them up. The problem is that it might be the case of reversals - We beat Parra in the trials, they thrash us in the Comp. We beat Souths in the Charity Shield, they....

The better teams have a lot more going for them. We can only hope that we get some wins to reinvigorate us.