What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Manly

kit66

Bench
Run on ,off the bench,meh,what's the difference,will still play around 40 min.

Huge difference. Gives us greater impact in attack both in metres gained and a dangerous offload to worry the opposition and he's a better defender than De Belin at lock. Just having him out there will see us get a better start than the previous 2 weeks and less likely to be leaking points early on. Give him a cape he could probably fly too.:D

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Huge difference. Gives us greater impact in attack both in metres gained and a dangerous offload to worry the opposition and he's a better defender than De Belin at lock. Just having him out there will see us get a better start than the previous 2 weeks and less likely to be leaking points early on. Give him a cape he could probably fly too.:D

De Belin is a better defender. Makes more tackles (42/41), he misses less tackles (0/2) in less minutes and his tackles are more effective, especially on the line. It is close, but statistically, for the minutes DeBelin plays, he is one of the best defenders in the NRL.
Although, I do agree that his running game in the first 20 minutes will be a boost.

kit66

Bench
De Belin is a better defender. Makes more tackles (42/41), he misses less tackles (0/2) in less minutes and his tackles are more effective, especially on the line. It is close, but statistically, for the minutes DeBelin plays, he is one of the best defenders in the NRL.
Although, I do agree that his running game in the first 20 minutes will be a boost.

Negligible, plus Merrin takes longer to get off the player which slows the opposition attack. De Belin can put on a good hit but he releases too quick I reckon - and he's not the only one, ( I think we release in the tackle quicker than most other teams ).
If DeBelin is to be kept in the team I'd rather have him on the bench interchanging with Friz and Thompson and leave lock / prop to players who can make metres as well as defend solidly.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Negligible, plus Merrin takes longer to get off the player which slows the opposition attack. De Belin can put on a good hit but he releases too quick I reckon - and he's not the only one, ( I think we release in the tackle quicker than most other teams ).
If DeBelin is to be kept in the team I'd rather have him on the bench interchanging with Friz and Thompson and leave lock / prop to players who can make metres as well as defend solidly.

Agreed mostly. Just looked at the season stats. Merrin plays more minutes but averages 10 less tackles. (39/29) and JDB's tackle effectiveness is 96% to Trent's 91%. So it is less negligable now.
And yes, the Dragons do seem to release faster but we are also the least penalised team for a reason and Merrin is one of our more penalised players.
I love Merrin and wish he was staying, he is our best forward. But my GOD I wish he would give up and just play Prop. He is a Prop wearing the number 13 anyway. which is just taking the position away from a traditional Lock style player which is JDB who I think will get better and better now that he has lost some bulk.

kit66

Bench
Agreed mostly. Just looked at the season stats. Merrin plays more minutes but averages 10 less tackles. (39/29) and JDB's tackle effectiveness is 96% to Trent's 91%. So it is less negligable now.
And yes, the Dragons do seem to release faster but we are also the least penalised team for a reason and Merrin is one of our more penalised players.
I love Merrin and wish he was staying, he is our best forward. But my GOD I wish he would give up and just play Prop. He is a Prop wearing the number 13 anyway. which is just taking the position away from a traditional Lock style player which is JDB who I think will get better and better now that he has lost some bulk.

I agree about Merrin to prop, I've said it on here a number of times myself and I hope you're right and JDB does improve because, to be honest I've not been that impressed with him recently.

mbrako

Juniors
Heading down to the game from Central West NSW with a band of Manly fans/family members. Hope I get a decent performance from the boys on Sat night looking forward to see Aitken in action and hopefully take home 2pts and bragging rights. Can we win two in a row? #saveoursaints

This is a game we simply must win to get some momentum going.

Manly is struggling, come on SAINTS put them to the sword !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super defensive effort by the boys.

Congrats to the forwards for 80 minutes of consistent concentration and aggression.

Attack showing signs of improvement. Benji is trying too hard and overplaying too often. Needs to relax.

Back row performed like monsters today.

Good to snare another 2 points.

Farrell is trying, but not offering too much.

St Tangles

Bench
Super defensive effort by the boys.

Congrats to the forwards for 80 minutes of consistent concentration and aggression.

Attack showing signs of improvement. Benji is trying too hard and overplaying too often. Needs to relax.

Back row performed like monsters today.

Good to snare another 2 points.

Farrell is trying, but not offering too much.

I thought Farrell in yesterday's game was strong defensively

Yes strong in defence, is not elusive it attack.

If we are to score more points we need a centre with both defensive and attacking capability

I'm still not convinced on his defence either so far this season he has let in more try's than any other saints player, does anyone know how the cutters went on the weekend an if Peter an charley played?