What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs. Panthers Discussion + Voting

Snappy

Coach
Hopefully Jennings continues his butter hands form, and that Gillett learns to hold the ball and not force the pass everytime he has it.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Wow, Kemp seems to be out of contention altogether...

Hope Beale keeps his standard from the Titans game at FB.

No matter how you look at it, even if they just got caned by the supposedly worst team in the comp, the Panthers is a team that we have to beat if we're serious about going anywhere this season. Even more so, with the Panthers missing their halfback and putting their first choice hooker into that position.

He hasn't done alot in two games where the team has lost. Give him time to prove himself.

Snappy

Coach
yeh good one ya goose.

All I want from tonight is the two points and no injuries. The first ten minutes should show what form the panthers are in, and if its ordinary we should put some pointson them. However I think they will be a bit harder for us tonight than for the sharkies last week.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Another ordinary game. You can rap the Broncos defence all you like, Penrith's (and Brisbane for that matter) attack is woeful. The Broncos have no go forward whatsoever. The Panthers are making an extra 20m every set. Nigel Plum clearly the standout on the field so far and that doesn't say much. Gillett's had a much improved game.

user_nat

Coach
Agree Seagulls. Getting pretty frustrating how bad we have been in attack.

Let's hope the better second halves continue.

Big Pete

Referee
Another ugly victory but the defence still held firm on the line.

3. Sam Thaiday - Thought his second stint proved pivotal in our comeback
2. Ben Hannant - Made consistent metres through the middle all night and is only going to get better. Made that silly mistake towards the end, but thought he still had a good game.
1. Jharal Yow Yeh - Was a threat down the right fringe at all times, did well in the air and scored what would prove to be the match winner.

Honarable mentions - Beale, Hodges and Reed (awesome effort to try and put that ball down)

Didn't agree with 9's pick at all. I thought Lockyer had a mixed game, did well to set up Jharal and set up a couple of breaks but threw some shocking passes, put up some bad kicks and of course dropped that early sitter.

johns_reds

First Grade
Got to agree Pete, Lockyer probably didn't deserve MOM, i think it was more sentimental, he did make a lot of tackles this week though and was pretty good in defense.

3 – Beale – he was popping up everywhere, I think he played a great game at fullback
2 – Thaiday – When he came back in the second half he lifted the team, almost best on field I thought
1 - Hannant – Solid game, lost of hit ups, stepped up in the second half

OVerall another ugly win, the first half was terrible, stepped up in the second half though, it's good to see the boys coming back each week in the second half, but geez i'd love for them to go in one week at half time with the game almost over for once!!!

AuDragon

Juniors
Another ordinary game. You can rap the Broncos defence all you like, Penrith's (and Brisbane for that matter) attack is woeful. The Broncos have no go forward whatsoever. The Panthers are making an extra 20m every set. Nigel Plum clearly the standout on the field so far and that doesn't say much. Gillett's had a much improved game.
Actually the stats are very similar for both sides. 49/51% possession, similar distance kicked and ran meters, very close tackling nos. etc...
Thaiday, Parker and Hannant made very good meters, the rest was mediocre.

There were signs that the combinations are not that far away and Wallace/Locky are improving, but once the passes stick, we'll be much better!

Titles are won on the back of defense, and we have that working just fine with the 4th game with no try against us in the second half.

Beale didn't do anything wrong, but he's inoffensive in attack, despite the try he scored. Can't wait to see Hoffman back!
Copley isn't ready for the NRL yet, so either gamble on Kemp, or bring Gagai back.

The last image of the TV broadcast was excellent: Hodgo walking back to the sheds without any injuries to worry about! ;-)

3- Thaiday
2- Yow Yeh
1- Glenn

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Talk about changing opinions from one week to another. One week Gagai is no good and Copley went well and now it's the reverse. You can't just keep chopping and changing if they have a poor game. Copley was tested all night. Yow Yeh only got about 1 kick to his side and it was a sitter. Yow yeh isn't that good in the air either.

Big Pete

Referee
Talk about changing opinions from one week to another. One week Gagai is no good and Copley went well and now it's the reverse.

When did AuDragon change his opinion?

Big Pete

Referee
He really must have trouble reading when he can't detect how much you rate Gagai.

I didn't think Copley was THAT bad, he got beaten in the air twice true. The first instance was due to bad positioning, the other was just a tough task against one of the game's best wingers in Gordon.

With that said, if we have natural wingers (or Gagai) I'd rather opt for them then Copley who seems like a class centre to me.

AuDragon

Juniors
He really must have trouble reading when he can't detect how much you rate Gagai.

I didn't think Copley was THAT bad, he got beaten in the air twice true. The first instance was due to bad positioning, the other was just a tough task against one of the game's best wingers in Gordon.

With that said, if we have natural wingers (or Gagai) I'd rather opt for them then Copley who seems like a class centre to me.
It's not so much that Copley was awful. He certainly was no worse than Gagai against the Raiders, but like you said he's more a centre than a winger and I do believe Gagai has much more potential.

Same goes for Beale. He did nothing wrong tonight and scored a good try, but when he gets the ball, there is no sense of threat whatsoever coming from him. He's solid, a good utility, but that's where it ends...

beads6

First Grade
I think Beale is a gun, the reason I don't know I just feel like he has so much more to offer. Copley was pretty hopeless under the highball IMO. Is Gagai still injured??

Mr Fourex

Bench
A wins a win.......doesn't matter if they look good or not.

3. Thaiday
2. Parker
1. Lockyer

Thought McCullough looked better last night. I want to see him play for the 80 min. I am getting increasingly pissed off with the interchange between him and Hunt. It's not doing either player any good. McC ......is looking better each game. IMHO, he needs more game time.

Beale's involvement was good ......Hoffman has more talent, if he starts playing with Beale's intensity we'll be looking very good at the back.

Wallace was his usual average self. Hodgo, is still feeling his way back. Yow yeah is starting to look dangerous every time he gets the ball and the tackle he produced on Jennings early in the game was a cracker (admittedly Jennings was mid air). Copley makes me nervous as f**k......Looking forward to hearing Kemp is starting to find form.

Watched Parker closely last night. He is impressing more and more each game this year. Not only his defence but also his ability to hit the line and produce an off load.

Is there a QLD number 13 in better form at the moment?

The boys have not let a 2nd half try in against them this year. How many times did that f**kwit Andrew Voss say that last night. I was sure he was trying to put the mocker on us. Especially spruking on about it with a minute to go and the Panthers were in our 20.

Bring on the Knights .........

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Yow Yeh
2. Glenn
1. Lockyer (would have been higher up if he didn't bomb that try!)

Agree with most of the above comments. Beale was ok, did his job. We got hammered int the forwards the first half but turned it around in the 2nd.

I think the work that Glenn is doing is getting seriously underrated by the votes above. This is his best season so far imo. Definitely holding Teo to the bench.

Hopefully our attack improves at some stage. I thought Reed needed to let the ball go a couple of times to the winger, we had an overlap.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Oh, and the panthers fill-in halfback looked more dangerous than Wallace! He really needs to pick it up.

AuDragon

Juniors
Oh, and the panthers fill-in halfback looked more dangerous than Wallace! He really needs to pick it up.
Are you for real? You really think Kingston did anything worth mentioning (besides the try) last night? :shock:

The Wallace bias is getting to people... :roll: