What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs the Titans

Cryptic

Juniors
I agree with the earlier comments that Waddell is a better starter and Buttriss is better off the bench, I think I said that a few times last year even... Buttriss just appears to pace himself too much to try and last as long as possible out there when he would be better off going nuts for 20 minutes, resting, doing it again, etc. As long as he remembered to pay attention to the f**king tackle count when he does come on (he f**ked that up twice last year).

Our team needs to spend most of the week doing fitness work as that is what is killing us out there...

As for the changes... I'm not sure we should be making many to be honest... The forwards need some sort of shake up though... TLL to the bench, Tilse starting, J.Thompson in the 2nd row for Picker (who has been pretty flat in attack to be honest) and find a hooker who can play 80 minutes so we aren't wasting a real forwards spot on the bench and throw Picker there instead... I don't really care who it is, both Waddell and Buttriss have been equally bleh as far as I can see... Maybe give one of the others a go and see what happens...

1 - Dugan
2 - Ferguson (why some people have recommended moving him from this position I have no idea...)
3 - Croker
4 - Milne/McCrone/Robinson/Do we have another decent centre?
5 - Vidot (with a LOT of catching training)
6 - McCrone/Orford (If McCrone to centres)
7 - Orford/Williams (If Orford to 5/8)
8 - Tilse
9 - Someone who can play 80 minutes (Tongue/Waddell/Buttriss/Anyone who can pass)
10 - Shillington
11 - Harrison
12 - J.Thompson
13 - Fensom

14 - Picker
15 - White
16 - TLL
17 - Thurling (but with more game time)

Just answered your own question buddy

Gaseous Clay

Juniors
I see Tilse has been named in the starting line up at Big Tommy's expense, good, he seems to play a lot better when starting, than coming off the bench. Should have been Shillo relegated though, he's had a shocking start to the year, captain or not. Disagree with Waddell starting though, Buttriss got replaced (hooked?) too early last week.

Last edited:

shear_joy9

Coach
I think Waddell has been improving. Granted the only thing he could do was improve, but compared to the absolute disasters Buttriss has turned in the last two rounds, Waddell would be a massive improvement.

are you kidding?

granted he wasn't at his best against brisbane but he was still very solid.

He only played the first 25 or so minutes against the tigers a period where the tigers had the vast majority of possession.

Did waddell's introduction vs the sharks and tigers spark the raiders attack or change the flow of the game? no.

shear_joy9

Coach
to become a top-class, permanent no.9 going onto play rep football

well that's certainly some high expectations.

dunno what you saw, I reckon most people thought he was a star in u20s

yes he was a star. He was playing in a team of stars though.

it's not difficult for a player with speed to pick up a tonne of metres from dummy half in the u20's; especially with some highly talented players around you.

shear_joy9

Coach
I see Tilse has been named in the starting line up at Big Tommy's expense, good, he seems to play a lot better when starting, than coming off the bench.

he's been the pick of the forwards the past few games. Whether he starts on the field or bench I think you generally see the same result from tilse. Has to be one of the most consistent players in the comp.

Should have been Shillo relegated though, he's had a shocking start to the year, captain or not.

he certainly needs a kick up the arse. I wouldn't have minded seeing him dropped to sl to send a message to the forwards that their weekly form means everything.

Mataora must be very close to a call up.

Timbo

Staff member
We can't drop our 2010 player of the season after 3 rounds ffs. He's been flat but he would have to be apocolyptically bad to get the arse after three weeks.

I disagree with Waddell and Buttriss changing roles. Then again, both have been average. Having been out at Crumbletown last Saturday night the only Raiders hooker that is worthy of a spot was McIllwrick. He looked bloody sharp in the TC game and it's clear why so many view him as the future already.

It's hard to make changes really when it was the bulk of the team playing terribly. I still think Thompson has to go from the centres, even when he plays well he stifles the likes of Croker and Vidot.

skeepe

Immortal
It's hard to make changes really when it was the bulk of the team playing terribly. I still think Thompson has to go from the centres, even when he plays well he stifles the likes of Croker and Vidot.

How does that work? He plays on the opposite side to them. That's quite a trick, stifling the play of two guys when there's 9 players between Thompson and Croker and Vidot.

Timbo

Staff member
When Croker and Vidot played their best footy last year was after Thompson got injured. He hogs so much ball, he's playing like a second rower out there.

Gaseous Clay

Juniors
We can't drop our 2010 player of the season after 3 rounds ffs. He's been flat but he would have to be apocolyptically bad to get the arse after three weeks.

I disagree with Waddell and Buttriss changing roles. Then again, both have been average. Having been out at Crumbletown last Saturday night the only Raiders hooker that is worthy of .

Fair enough with Shillo, but Buttris should not have been taken off after just 25 minutes - We hardly had the ball in that time and not enough time to prove himself

schnitzel

Juniors
the answer is simple. Thompson to bench, Vidot to centre where he played all his junior footy.
Then V doesn't have to drop any high balls and we can bring in a replacement winger.
I'd also stick Ox in at hooker, Williams to halfback. Ox is strong enough to tackle in the front line and can kick when needed :)

Titanic

First Grade
The Titans without Friend are like a vegemite sandwich without the vegemite - if you can't win this one at home...

Titanic

First Grade
Each to their own :) I must admit that I've never tried your preference, though, is it a favourite in the National Capital?