What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs. Tigers

Congrats on the win Panferrrrssss

It was a gutsy, strong performance and you guys came out on top deservedly.

However, you must admit, there were certainly some poor decisions later on in the game, but putting that aside, you would've won anyway.

Congrats once again and good luck next week.

Dave Q

Coach
lol when Luke Lewis is walking off apparently injured, someone asks him whats wrong with him and he replies "Its Ok, I just cant breathe"

You gotta love this game.

Wd Panthers, and IMO ME is looking solid for the rest of the season.

murraymob

Coach
that was a game we had to win
there are a few areas elliott has to clear up as it is clearly creating confusion

1..Graham coming off the bench .We are clearly a better team when he is on
2.Aiton and isofia on the field at the same time.They both get in the way of clear ball getting wide when on together

dwfinate positives
1.Lewis is in career best form
2.Pritchard is carving up and he is still only 60% fit.He will only get better
3.The young brigade have stepped up that is rubbing off on the other players

Caged Panther

First Grade
I've got to throw out a massive wrap to Waterhouse, after the Eels trial I had him starting at Windsor. His certainly putting egg over my face at the moment.

Also going to give a wrap to the crowds we're getting, not sure where they've all come from or why they've all come out giving, what to me seemed like a very pessimistic atmosphere from many places about our chances this season, but I'm glad they have. Last two games have had the sort of atmosphere that's been missing since 2003/2004

murraymob

Coach
caged the crowds have come back due to just one Mick Leary decision.
The terrace section in the eastern grandstand was changed from reserved back to general admission.Familys can now sit in seats instead of the grassed areas You will notice on the tv those areas last year that where empty are now full

murraymob

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25289651-5001021,00.html

PENRITH PANTHERS 42 WESTS TIGERS 22

PENRITH survived another spirited Wests Tigers comeback to make it back-to-back NRL wins with a victory at CUA Stadium tonight.

Defence took a back seat in the tryathon, the Panthers turning a 22-all scoreline with 11 minutes remaining into an easy win with three tries in the final eight minutes.
It spoiled a dramatic comeback by the Tigers which was sparked by some brilliant dummy half work by Robbie Farah, who looked like he had given the Tigers all the momentum as he got the visitors back in the contest.
But utility Rhys Hanbury - who came on after Tim Moltzen dislocated an elbow in the first minute - ruined a good night when he gifted the Panthers a penalty which broke the deadlock and opened the floodgates.

The early signs weren't good for the Tigers with Penrith fullback Lachlan Coote taking the kick-off and sparking a stunning burst which ended with Brad Tighe being pulled down a metre short of the line.
It only served to delay the inevitable, Luke Lewis strolling through some non-existent defence for a 6-0 lead after five minutes. Penrith were beating the clock when Jarrod Sammut reeled in a Lewis chip for a 12-0 lead, the Tigers down two tries to nil after ten minutes for the second week in a row.
But just like last week, the Tigers came storming back, and again it was Benji Marshall leading the show, the Kiwi sneaking down a short blindside before his grubber infield eventually found a rampaging Keith Galloway who carried three players over the tryline.
Michael Gordon extended Penrith's lead with a simple penalty, but a spilled ball by Frank Puletua from the restart gave the Tigers an invitation they could not ignore with Hanbury scoring his first of the night on the back of a Farah grubber.
Former Tiger Shane Elford botched a easy opportunity when he lost the ball over the line, but when Trent Waterhouse was given a saloon passage by Farah, who let Waterhouse go after being called offside by referee Ben Cummins the Panthers were on the board again with the former NSW Origin backrower finding a flying Michael Jennings in support.
Down 22-12 at the break, the Tigers had to score first if they were to be any chance, and it looked like being the case when Dene Halatau planted the ball under the posts only for the referee to belatedly, but correctly, rule a forward pass from Todd Payten in the lead-up.
It didn't matter though as Farah went to work, two scintillating dummy half runs leading to tries for Hanbury and Taniela Tuiaki, the latter using the Tongan sidestep to run over the top of the much smaller Lachlan Coote, Marshall's missed sideline conversion leaving the scores tied at 22-all.

Fulltime
PENRITH 42 (L Coote W Graham M Jennings L Lewis F Pritchard J Sammut tries M Gordon 9 goals) bt WESTS TIGERS 22 (R Hanbury 2 K Galloway T Tuiaki tries B Marshall 3 goals) at CUA Stadium. Referee: B Cummins, Phil Haines. Crowd: 15,813.

0,,6564137,00.jpg
THE Penrith Panthers tonight won the big cat battle, beating the Wests Tigers in the fourth round of the NRL competition. Plus for more rugby league news check out League Central. Photograph: Sam Ruttyn

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
some stats out of game
top 4 meters gained
1.petro............143
2.waterhouse....114
3.gordon...........111
4.coote............105

top 4 tacklers
1.petro............26
2.smith............23
3.cooper..........21
4.waterhouse....19

top 3 missed tackles
1.sammut........3
2.tighe............2
3.jennings........2

offloads top 3
1 aiton.............3
2.petro..............2
3.gordon..........2..

Kilkenny

Coach
Good win.

Should never have been in doubt but for some reason we let the Tigers back into the game, not once but twice.

Tiredness crept in there in the middle period of the second half and the Tigers seemed to have the momentum but the boys dug deep and came away with the two points.

I was pleased for Jarrod Sammut as the result and his performance should do the world of good for his confidence. Full credit too for Matt Elliot sticking with him when the easy option would have been to drop him.

Mick Leary needs to sit around the negotiating table with Petro and extend his deal by two years. He is worth every cent.

bigfoot

Juniors
NO. f**king. WAY.
Sammut and Graham in the halves?
Lewis at lock?
Smith MOVED from lock?

ITS A MIRACLE!

... it's too good to be true. I just... I can't believe it.

:lol:
Who picked it? I knew Iddiott wouldn't move his pet Smith.
Either way, at least Lewis' kicking game improved a bit tonight.
Also I have to echo the previous comment that Waterhouse is on fire, which I didn't expect after his trial form.
How good was it seeing Graham, Coote etc going over at the end with 15,000 fans going crazy? :D

Also, how good is Gordon? I know he didn't exactly have many hard kicks, but he STILL hasn't missed a shot the whole year. :cool:

Also... winning the penalty count!?
I nearly sh*t my pants when I noticed that we actually got a decent run with refs regarding penalties. How often does that happen? I mean... WE'RE PENRITH!
Tigers can't really complain though, as we would have won anyway... plus, 2 of their tries were from blatant forward passes... ;-)... (I think a few of ours might have been too, I'll have to re-watch the game).

Well done Penrith.

Kilkenny

Coach
As long as the ball is propelled backwards from leaving the hand there is no issue if the ball floats forwards. I don't thing there is any issue with any of our tries.

Fibroman

First Grade
Petero and Waterhouse were outstanding.

Jennings and Gordon solid.

Graham solid.

Lewis good at lock, but I think he should be in the centres with Jennings. Lewis is much better at 2nd receiver running the ball.

Coote. Very good.

Sammut made up some lost ground.

............................?

Kilkenny

Coach
Petero and Waterhouse were outstanding.

Jennings and Gordon solid.

Graham solid.

Lewis good at lock, but I think he should be in the centres with Jennings. Lewis is much better at 2nd receiver running the ball.

Coote. Very good.

Sammut made up some lost ground.

............................?

Sammut still has a way to go and a lot to learn. It is not his fault we are trying to convert a natural fullback into a halve. Despite what most still seem to believe he played almost all his juniors reps at Fullback and even a Doonside. It is a big ask and he is showing signs given time he be a handy number seven.

innsaneink

Referee
Congrats, too good for us.
Some good ticker shown tonite from ur blokes, hope ours took notice of it.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cheers mate. Was a nice close game until those last 5 minutes or so. I actually thought the Tigers had us. Somehow we managed to hold on even after a short turnaround.

Fingers crossed we can repeat this performance next week.

Dave Q

Coach
Must have been the sight of Priddo, the President and Braveheart having a chat after the Broncos Saints game ( true!)

A mighty effort, sent the message to the league that the panthers are back.

Fibroman

First Grade
Petero must have a heart the size of Phar Lap. He looked out on his feet in that 2nd half, and backing up from Monday would have been really tough for him, but to his credit, he lifted, and the whole Panther side lifted with him.

He is up there with the likes of Brandy already as being one of the greatest ever Panthers. I love the bloke, he is a true legend of the game.

panthersballboy

Juniors
Petero must have a heart the size of Phar Lap. He looked out on his feet in that 2nd half, and backing up from Monday would have been really tough for him, but to his credit, he lifted, and the whole Panther side lifted with him.

He is up there with the likes of Brandy already as being one of the greatest ever Panthers. I love the bloke, he is a true legend of the game.

I agree 100% fibro, Petero is an inspiration to the other blokes in the team.

I've felt for the last year and a bit we have always looked a better team when he was on the field. Last year I felt he put in just because he is Petero and that is what he does, but this year I think it is more than that, it seems big petti is loving being a panther and the leader of this team and the effect it seems to be having on the other guys is amazing.

I don't want to jump the gun at this point, but this season is quite similar to seasons leading up to (and including) both '91 & '03 Grand Finals.

When you look at the '91 lineup, you had a team mostly made up of juniors coming through the ranks (Fittler, Bentley, Izzard, Carter, Alexander, Van Der Voort, Geyer, Cartwright, Walker, B. Alexander) 10 of the 16 players who participated in that GF.

Then you have the '03 lineup (Wesser, Lewis, Rooney, Gower, Puletua, Clinton, Waterhouse, Rodney, Swain) 9 out of 17.

Now look at the '09 lineup as of yesterday (Coote, Jennings, Elford, Graham, Sammut, Lewis, Waterhouse, Iosefa, Pritchard(?), F. Puletua) 10 out of 17 - then there's others such as Grant, Paulo, etc.

These guys are used to success coming thorugh the junior teams mostly together - and now they're together in first grade.

It certainly is exciting times

Latest posts