What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs the Raiders

maple_69

Bench
Absolutely reckon we should try Critta on the right in place of Momo. Or even switch them during Origin when Burton goes into the halves. Critta may actually benefit from being the main target rather than Kiks. It’s been nice to see Cleary get some kicks in for Staines but man we need to unlock him more.

WestyLife

First Grade
Bench should be

May
Martin
Leinu
Burton

Solves that issue of moved guys into strange positions

Lets be realistic here. If Crichton was centre he scores the 2 tries Burton has the last 2 weeks.

The right is finally looking effective why change that too

More importantly it goes not far after Edwards is back into SOO. You would move the side for a few weeks then move stuff back when we lost the halves again

That is a horrible bench and would leave the middle fatigued. You would almost guarenteed lose finals games for it.

Girds89

Bench
Bench should be

May
Martin
Leinu
Burton

Solves that issue of moved guys into strange positions

Lets be realistic here. If Crichton was centre he scores the 2 tries Burton has the last 2 weeks.

The right is finally looking effective why change that too

More importantly it goes not far after Edwards is back into SOO. You would move the side for a few weeks then move stuff back when we lost the halves again

I'm not sure he scores the one of luais pass tbh. He has a completely different running style to Burton. He jinks and weaves. Similar to momo. It can be effective at times that style but sometimes you just need your centre to crash onto the ball at full tilt.

Matt has been terrific and removing him imo even from the starting 13 significantly decreases our chances of winning a comp year. He has such a good running game and needs to be on for 80.

For me the critta experiment at fb hasn't worked. I said he'd struggle and he has. Positioning isn't good enough and all the extremely tough work off the ball Edwards does hasn't happened. It all comes down to fitness.. he may not have looked as exhausted as rapana but rapana was in everything and all those little things Edwards does rapana was doing. The lack of effort on the crocker no try for mine sealed it. Can he be a good nrl fb, sure.. but he needs a full pre season of training there and upping his fitness to play that position. He may do ok over next few weeks against some of the lower placed teams but just missing to much atm to be reliable back there.

I dont want to be critical of him but I just haven't seen it with momo yet. I think he's defence is cleary better than nadens and in that regards him and critta are probably equal. I think naden offers more in attack than him but not as good in defence. Critta offers more in attack and is as good in defence. Unfortunately he'd be mu unlucky man out. Does he deserve it, no not at all, but hard decisions lay ahead.

Having said all that I wouldn't change anything till Edwards is back. I would let Staines chime in positioned at fb in attack more, especially back end of half's.

At full strength I'd go:

1. Edwards
2. Too
3. Burton
4. Critta
5. Staines

I realistically can't see ic changing it though and when Edwards is back I think he will drop Burton back to nsw cup.

The only other player really endanger of possibly losing his spot is tmay on the bench. Tmay just plays like another ball playing half when he comes on. A roll Burton could no doubt do better. Burton is faster, stronger running, passing,kicking, is quicker. Tmays defence is probably a bit stronger bit wouldn't be a lot in it. I love tmay and he's a great utility but if I had to choose off the evidence of what both have produced this year and the roll our 14 plays, I know whst way I'd go.

Big shout out to Charlie. Thought last night was close to his best game yet in fg. He got over powered a few times but there was a noticeable improvement this week in all facets of his game. He's coming along nicely atm. I can understand the temptation to move him but I just think he seems to be getting 5% better every week on the wing. He isn't going to be fb when Edwards is back so I'd rather him just keep improving out wide.

Martin had his best game of the season too. Was terrific. He needed it as I think he's form had been down. Hope he gets a bit of confidence out of that.

I know kiks only had 7 runs bit when he plays with anger he's a different beast. Tackling trying to belt blokes and steamrolling in attack. Whatever ivan said to him throughout the week keep it up.

Jerome luai is the 2nd best 5/8 in the league only behind Munster. He has gone to another level this year. He's short kicking game, especially grubbers are close to best in the comp. He's vision is top notch, I'm defence he's tough and he's an incredibly hard bloke to tackle. I Seriously think he could pass Munster in the future. Seriously special talent.

Spencer is a beast. Enough said.

Great effort by most last night. What a time to be a panthers fan. Just feels surreal atm. Hope ivan can keep the boys focused. I don't mind the cockyness. Tbh I think it helps these boys go to another level. Players like luai seem to thrive on the niggle and it helps them go up a notch. But ivan needs to let them know the rest of the comp is going to be gunning for us now. Everyone will want to knock us off our perch and be the first team to beat us.

Isn't it going to be on next time we play the raiders!! That was insulting for their whole club last night haha. Ricky looked completely humiliated and ready to explode in his presser haha.

murraymob

Coach
Y
Judging by his reaction, after he scored his try, if Burton tries to break his contract. His body language tells me that he does not want to leave.
Your reading it wrong .He is ready to play for the dogs next year first grade spot and double the money.He is a good kid that loves his footy and gives everything when he plays
.the passion in the team plays out on everyone

Jane Murray

Bench
Y

Your reading it wrong .He is ready to play for the dogs next year first grade spot and double the money.He is a good kid that loves his footy and gives everything when he plays
No I'm not. Each to their own.

Girds89

Bench
Y

Sure he may be ready to play fg at dogs next year but I have no doubt he'd prefer to stay at Penrith with his mates in a team with a huge bond and great vibes. Cant be knocking back huge money though

The_Frog

First Grade
Sure he may be ready to play fg at dogs next year but I have no doubt he'd prefer to stay at Penrith with his mates in a team with a huge bond and great vibes. Cant be knocking back huge money though
When you sign contracts you are bound by them. I'm sure young Matt realises this now.

betcats

Referee
That is a horrible bench and would leave the middle fatigued. You would almost guarenteed lose finals games for it.

Martin and Leniu would be the bench middle forwards I think that would be fine. Burton and May cover the edge forwards. At full strength I wouldn’t mind that bench, but harsh on Huth who has been great but it would be interesting.

The game has changed you don’t 3 big forwards on the bench, Martin is big enough and good enough to play prop and May and burton are big enough to cover the edges imo.

Girds89

Bench
What nonsense

Might statement has nothing to do with Burton. He will be at the dogs next year.

But explain to me how it's nonsense.... we could name 100 players/coaches etc that have gotten out of contracts just in the last few years.

The amount of clauses in contracts is crazy.

Players can get out of contracts easily.

Girds89

Bench
That only applies is both parties agree.

Cmon mate. Wisen up.

Look at Josh aloiai last year. Very public dispute about wanting out of the tigers. Tigers played hard ball told him no chance and he could play nsw cup. Than they come to the realisation they will be playing a bloke who has no desire to be there good money....

So they fold. Do they agree nup... but they don't have much choice.

Girds89

Bench
And Aloiai got out of his contract purely cause he didn't want to be there and wanted am early release.... so literally spat the dummy.... and got out of his contract lol

betcats

Referee
Manly had to pay though and that counts in their cap. The cost of getting burton a release would be very high even if he went full Aloia. It’s nice to dream though, he was quick to grab that panthers logo on his chest after he scored last night.

Jane Murray

Bench
Manly had to pay though and that counts in their cap. The cost of getting burton a release would be very high even if he went full Aloia. It’s nice to dream though, he was quick to grab that panthers logo on his chest after he scored last night.
Which indicated, to me anyway, that Burton is having second thoughts.

murraymob

Coach
Crighton has been charged by the match review committee for grabbing the raider player after the try.Lucky it’s a fine only

mxlegend99

Referee
Crighton has been charged by the match review committee for grabbing the raider player after the try.Lucky it’s a fine only
Really? If he was suspended it would just mean Staines to 1 and Naden on wing. Wouldnt hurt us at all.

Especially against Broncos who we could probably pump with our reserve grade backline.

soc123_au

Staff member
Burton may well be wishing he had waited until mid season to sign a contract. He is still going to be a Bulldog next year. No way in hell would they not enforce his contract & I also don't believe he is the type of person who would antagonise for a release. He is just going to enjoy the time he has left here & then move on to a new chapter.