What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 - What team would you run with?

Randy81

Juniors
I'd rather him try halfback and utilise his running game there. Use Austin at five-eight. Bring Moylan in as another playmaker and actual passer for those set plays near the line where the pass has so far this year broken down when it got to Whare.

Use Whare at centre replacing Wes who has been caught out badly defensively a few times.

I agree with Franklin that we need beef on the bench but while Docker and Plum are fantastic players I believe we can really only carry one as both are particularly limited in attack.

I'd much rather a Docker, Mose, Robinson, Segeyaro bench. Size as well as impact off the bench is what we lack.

Pretty much how I had my preferred lineup earlier in the thread though I went with Wes over tighe
Robinson was pretty poor today for wolves though.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well surely the stats alone from Wes Naiqama, ontop of our current run of 3 losses is enough for him to be axed atleast.

7 tackles
6 missed tackles
2 ineffective tackles
2 penalties given away
2 errors
11 runs for 99m gained

Even Luke Walsh had better defensive stats. The only player to give away more penalties was Sika Manu, but he also made more then 4 times as many tackles (26) and only missed two tackles.

Wes Naiqama was nearly all around the worst player and least effective on the field. When you have Matt Moylan killing it at fullback for Windsor, and Dean Whare being better at centre then fullback... the change needs to be made as soon as possible. Even if that's the only change made, atleast we have improved two positions. Ideally Ivan Cleary looks at improving all the shortcomings sooner rather then later. But when he selected Ciraldo and kept him it made me lose faith that any of the changes we need will happen soon.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with Franklin that we need beef on the bench but while Docker and Plum are fantastic players I believe we can really only carry one as both are particularly limited in attack.

I used to get pissed that Coote could ball play yet we didn't use it. Whare's getting a chance just isn't good enough.

Given we wont debut anyone yet. Austin at 6. Humble 1 is a start. Swap the bench props for starters and it's better not ideal but I have more chance of falling pregnant than massive changes will happen.

If I am picking the team tomorrow. I am telling Austin, Moylan & Anderson that they have a spot for the rest of the year & start to build something. Docker lock not prop also

Lets look at others Weston seems out of favour. Mose 2 games since the gf last year. KOD out until round 7. Latimore out until round 14.

I just can't see us debuting anyone until after the Parra game. So I can't see Moylan/Anderson getting a game anytime soon.

Randy81

Juniors
Well surely the stats alone from Wes Naiqama, ontop of our current run of 3 losses is enough for him to be axed atleast.

7 tackles
6 missed tackles
2 ineffective tackles
2 penalties given away
2 errors
11 runs for 99m gained

Even Luke Walsh had better defensive stats. The only player to give away more penalties was Sika Manu, but he also made more then 4 times as many tackles (26) and only missed two tackles.

Wes Naiqama was nearly all around the worst player and least effective on the field. When you have Matt Moylan killing it at fullback for Windsor, and Dean Whare being better at centre then fullback... the change needs to be made as soon as possible. Even if that's the only change made, atleast we have improved two positions. Ideally Ivan Cleary looks at improving all the shortcomings sooner rather then later. But when he selected Ciraldo and kept him it made me lose faith that any of the changes we need will happen soon.

Wes and tighe are much the same. Both can be a world beater on their day but often are let downs. I went with wes since he can actually put a hit on and force a mistake (which we saw against raiders) and for the first time in a long time when we go through the hands right we actually look dangerous.
Agree about Moylan whare and ciraldo. I think most (except cleary) agree there

TeamSatan

Juniors
Austin has class and thats something we lack.
He needs to be 5/8. Humble tries hard but is a jorneyman at best.

Walsh , Simmons gone

Ciraldo gone

mmmmok thats a start..who comes in? Young enthusiastic guys with a mean winning attitude.

The brand of football has to become exciting ..panthers have the chance to change into an entertaining team rather than another clone like all the others.

The OX

Juniors
Simmons has been far from our worst.

Tim Grant should start earning his dough in my opinion. He has been MIA this year so far.

Panfas

Juniors
1. Naiqama
2. Mansour
3. Whare
4. Tighe
5. Simmons
6. Humble
7. Walsh
8. McKendry
9. Kingston
10. Plum
11. Manu
12. Brown
13. Austin
14. Docker
15. Grant
16. Robinson
17. Segeyaro

Big Mick

Referee
I remember asking him a question last year about VTK, Austin and Moylan towards September and he said there was still a lot of things that they need to work on...but that was like 8 months ago.

I can't remember anything recently.

betcats

Referee
I saw one in which he was asked about bringing some juniors in, didnt notice any names, and he basically said no they arent ready and the older players need to play.

f**k it, Ivan can pick who he wants, if we start the season 1-5 he should be fired imo.

The OX

Juniors
I wouldnt give a rats if they bought in Trent Barrett himself, but FFS something has to be done for this weekend.

Otherwise we become cellar dwellers again for yet another season.

Big Mick

Referee
f**k it, Ivan can pick who he wants, if we start the season 1-5 he should be fired imo.

Bit of an overreaction there imo.

Start of year 2 needing a massive roster overhaul. However, I definitely understand the asking for it and the frustration.

I think we are forgetting how much of a f**king shambles he started with because of Elliot's shit coaching and prior managements contract negotiations.

I am pissed with some of the selections as well but I think by mid season the team will look very, very different and we'll start to see the plan moving forward. Just a feeling I have.

I'm still trying to find that Gus comment but I can't find anything from this year...

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
You are probably right Mick but after over year in the job i am not seeing results improve at all and our club still seems to think mediocrity and losing are acceptable.

If Cleary ca t find someone to drop after 3 losses in a row and some of the mistakes we've been making then he is just taking the piss.

How many tries have we let in the last five minutes of games this year?

darkbloom

Juniors
So Elliot etc still has to shoulder responsibility for Penrith's performances. You should be blaming the Board for extending his contract by two years and refusing to listen to managements recommendation to sack him.

I kept reading how good our recruitment was for 2013.

There was special cheers for the Manu signing - he has shown patches of great play but plenty of poor play. His attitude reminds me of Frank Pritchard. He doesn't have Pritchard's explosive power but he is more creative than Pritchard. He is just as ill-disciplined or is it stupid. And just as inconsistent.

Segerayo looks like a good buy.

Big Mick

Referee
Our recruitment for 2013 was great.

But our issues were far deeper than one recruitment drive could fix.

I know people hate losing, but I really didn't have expectations of Top 4 this year. I honestly expected we'd finish around 8th-11th and right now that is where we are.

Manu has been great in attack and so so in defense but overall going well. I agree he is inconsistent but overall he has been more engaged than Pritchard ever was with us.
Segeyaro has been a star but needs to pick and choose his moments to rush in
Whare imo is playing out of position and needs to move back to centre
Wes imo is also playing out of position and needs to move to FB or Wing
Humble has played above expectations imo.

Others:
Kyle O'Donnell hasn't seen the field yet due to injury
Pangai hasn't seen the field yet due to injury
Sam Anderson has impressed for Windsor
Etu Nabuli has impressed for Windsor
Jeremy Latimore played well in Round 1 and unfortunately had an injury
James Roberts won MOTM in his one trial game and unfortunately injured with him coming back soon.

I don't see how you can say the 2013 recruitment class has contributed to the loss or it hasn't been a good class. That's just short-sighted and ridiculous.

The issue is with the rest of the roster and how we have to continue to get better around that.

We know that we have guys like Austin, Moylan, Moss, Cartwright, VTK, DWZ, Eisenhuth, Scarlett etc coming through the grades who we hope and assume will take up positions eventually.

I'm not saying Elliot has to shoulder the responsibility but these guys have had bad habits for so long that the culture is still in the process of being changed. It is no secret why we bought guys from hard nosed coaches like Neil Henry, Craig Bellamy and Des Hasler...the players we bought come from that sort of culture and as such would be accepting of Cleary and that work ethic would hopefully rub off on other players.

I know we are all pissed off but we are 1 year and 4 rounds into a massive rebuilding process where we've essentially had to re-build a roster from the ground up starting last year. We've started that process and with the addition of Kite and Taylor we've continued that for 2014.

We can't sit here and say Gus hasn't identified issues in the team and not tried to fix them. Last year we had pathetic impact off the bench and crap fringe second rower play. This year we have Segeyaro and Manu/Brown off the edge.

We have bad depth at prop so next year we'll have Grant, McKendry and Kite...again an improvement. We'll also have a starting lock in Taylor.

We went hard after Thurston because Gus knows that halfback is a significant area of need.

So I don't think it is through lack of trying. I just think we need to be a bit more patient and not calling for coaches and GM's scalps so early into this process.

Looking at 2014 right now let's think about what we have and what we need to fill in:

1. Matt Moylan?
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. James Roberts?
5. Etu Nabuli?
6. Lachlan Coote
7. Tom Humble?
8. Sam McKendry
9. James Segeyaro
10. Tim Grant
11. Sika Manu
12. Lewis Brown
13. Elijah Taylor

RES:
14. Brent Kite
15. Jeremy Latimore/Kyle O'Donnell/Sam Anderson/Nigel Plum (if resigned)
16. Adam Docker/VTK/Matt Robinson
17. Blake Austin

So overall we have the makings of a really good team.

Who takes the 1? Is it Moylan? James Roberts? Or does Roberts get that Centre spot?

Who takes 4 and 5 - George Jennings, Etu Nabuli, Travis Robinson, Brad Tighe, DWZ....got options. Maybe Jamie Lyon?

7? Biggest question mark...Tom Humble? Would Scarlett be ready? Do we get Chad Townsend, Luke Keary, Ben Hunt or even Brett Finch...who knows.

Overall we have the 2014 pack sorted imo. We have a few holes in the backline to fill and of course half. But we aren't that far away imo. I think they have the right to finish what they have started instead of tossing them prematurely and starting again.

Last edited: