What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 (2009) DRAGONS vs TITANS

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Round 3 2009
ST GEORGE DRAGONS v GOLD COAST TITANS
stg-main.jpg
-v-
gco-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 1st July 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: The Colonel
Venue: Kogarah Oval
260px-Okijubilee2008.PNG

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Titanic

First Grade
skilled_park02%20copy.jpg
The Gold Coast TITANS v the St. George Dragons

After pooling all of our coins (and dragging Coaster out of the surf for his first run in 2009), twenty-six hours on a non-airconditioned bus (including 223 comfort stops) and five consecutive cab drivers none of whom spoke English (at least not that we could understand) or who knew our destination (rescued by our Nokia GPS) or who understood "F7's" (but did know Twenty20), we are arrive at Kogarah:

The Run-on Team
1 Amadean
6 tits&tans
11 Titanic
12 Coaster
13 TITs ANonymouS

The Bench
Titan Uranus
bgdc

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Still trying to recover from the gruelling bye week Boot Camp inflicted upon them, the Dragons gather together in the sheds in a team huddle. They psyche themselves up, knowing full well they face the might of the reigning premiers. After some fisticuffs to decide who gets to run on and who starts from the bench, the following lineup emerges from the carnage.

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

39. Dubopov (vc)
12. Steel Dragon
31. Johnsy
7. Baldwin (on his F7's debut)
3. Dragon_psa (c)

Reserves:

00. The Preacher
2. DragonPunk
5. Jason Maher

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
It has been a while, but I found the boots and linament and called the skipper. Thankfull he could still use and old bugger. Johnsy loves coming back to Kogarah, as do all the dragons. Looking forward to a great game.

750 words between the stars. * note to ref, the red text was contained within tables, formating would not display tables, therefore that text not used in word count.

What do numbers mean ?
Statistics can be defined as a science that deals with the collection, analysis, and interpretation of numerical facts or data, and that, by use of mathematical theories of probability, imposes order and regularity on aggregates of more or less disparate elements.
But what does this mean to the everyday footy fan, you and me ?
It gives an insight into a teams strengths and weaknesses, it gives confidence when it comes to the weekly tips. But most importantly, it gives them hope when it comes to their teams chances for the year. With that in mind, lets have a look at how the dragons have improved, over the last 12 months, and more importantly, an insight to what has worked for them thus far.
12 months ago, at the conclusion of round 14 2008, what was their position at that point of the year.
They were in equal 6th with 5 other sides, on 16 points (6 wins, 6 losses & 2 byes). They were one loss away from slipping down to 12th spot.
They had a points differential of +62 points, and a completion rate 75.2%.

Fast forward 12 months, and what has changed.
They are sitting in equal 1st placed on 20 points (10 wins, 4 losses 0 byes)
They are equal with 2 other sides They have an 8 point break from the 12th placed side.
They have a points differential of +118, the best in the NRL, a completion rate 80.3%.
This point of the 2009 season they are yet to receive a bye and are almost guaranteed to make the finals, they are paying $1.01. to qualify.

Attacking statistics

2008 1st, 2009 2nd
Points scored - 2008 22, 6th - 2009 22, 5th
Tries scored - 2008 3.8, 6th - 2009 3.6, 7th
Metres gained - 2008 1370m, 5th - 2009 1438m, 1st
Line breaks - 2008 4, 11th - 2009 4.8, equal 3rd
Tackle breaks - 2008 39.4, 2nd - 2009 35.2, 3rd
Errors - 2008 11, 2nd - 2009 8.9, 1st

Defensive statistics
2008 1st, 2009 2nd
Points conceded - 2008 16.8, 4th - 2009 13.6, 1st
Tries conceded - 2008 2.9, 3rd - 2.4, 1st
Metres conceded - 2008 1286, 6th - 2009 1274, 5th
Line breaks conceded - 2008 3.1, 2nd - 2009 3.7, 4th
Offloads conceded - 2008 9.9, 7th - 2009 10.1, 4th
Missed tackles - 2008 29.4, 3rd - 2009 23.8, 1st

Areas of improvement. Defensively, without a doubt.
Attitude ?, for sure, belief in themselves and the man to next to them when they need to tough it out ?, indeed.
The most important players for a rugby league side today are the 7 & 9. This is where it gets interesting for the dragons. They don’t have a traditional hooker that plays 80 minutes (baring necessity through injury).They rotate hookers, in all honesty the players they have in that role, Dean Young and Luke Priddis are make shift hookers. Make shift until 2010, when the feisty little Warrior Nathan Fien arrives.
In my opinion the two key dragon players are their playmakers, Soward and Hornby.
Lets have a squiz, shall we.
Jamie SOWARD
1729068115.jpg

At the end of round 14 in seasons 2008 & 2009 the noticeable differences are;
Line breaks 2008 4, 2009 9. Line break assists 2008 4, 2009 8.
Runs per game 2008 4.4, 2009 6.5. Tackles 2008 199, 2009 144.
Active offloads (defender in process of making tackle) 2008 4, 2009 13.
Tackle breaks 2008 25, 2009 29. Kicks 2008 159, 2009 229
Kick metres 2008 5201m (avg p/game 371.5m), 2009 8195m (585.4m p/game)
Errors 2008 15, 2009 10.

It has been obvious to those watching the dragons, he has started to run the ball, take the line on more. He also has a habit of scooping up a loose ball and giving the dragons immediate impact when counter attacking. He has been given the second best one on one defender in the NRL to accompany him when defending, Beau SCOTT. (Travis BURNS 1st). His kicking game has given the dragons the best platform in which to dominate other packs. He has the most effective kicking game in the NRL, averaging over 580m per game. That’s a lot of petrol he saves his forwards.
Ben HORNBY
ben_honrby.jpg
Line breaks 2008 4, 2009 8.
Line break assists 2008 4, 2009 10.
Runs per game 2008 6.2, 2009 11.5.
Tackles 2008 142, 2009 142.
Active offloads (defender in process of making tackle) 2008 6, 2009 10.
Tackle breaks 2008 24, 2009 34.
Kicks 2008 45, 2009 31
Kick metres 2008 avg p/game 128m, 2009 83.5m p/game.
Errors 2008 8, 2009 7

Hornby has been afforded more time with the ball in hand, enabling him to concentrate more on taking the line on. He has increased his runs per game, he has doubled his line breaks, and more than doubled his line break assists.The most impressive stat for me is the increase in his active offloads, in the last 4 weeks he has started to pop his nose through the defensive line, and as a result he has looked much more dangerous in attack.
I spoke before about hope, not false hope. The hope all fans love, realistic hope.
hope-1.jpg

REFERENCES
http://www.nrlstats.com.au/index.cfm
(www.dictionary.com)
http://203.166.101.37/NRL/index.html

Last edited:

Coaster

Bench
Long off season comes to an end, as i scrape off the dried mud from my old boots and prepare to hit the field.

Coaster for the Mighty Titans

750 words including title, Picture and historical facts acquired from Sean Fagan's fantastic League site www.rl1908.com.

Thank you Sean for such a wealth of League history, wish more of us had the knowledge you bless us with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE Battle of Brisbane

herb1.jpg

In 1958 it was an epic contest against “ye olde enemy”, in 1942 it was a stoush against the “invading” yanks but if I close my eyes, stretch out on the couch, the mists of time will carry me back – way back to the ‘Gabba, 1932.

Controversial Harry Sunderland returned to the Aussie change rooms and grinned to himself, "mind games wouldn’t win this game but they wouldn’t hurt either if we're to beat the Poms today".

In Harry’s mind it was just a clarification of the play-the-ball rule, however the visitors were incensed, interpreting his visit to their changing room as an insult. Whatever, it provided the desired distraction, and the Englishmen were now focused on him, the coach, rather than the depleted Aussies led by tough as teak Toowoomba prop Herb Steinohrt in the other room.

As his boys filed past him and onto the field, Harry glanced at each of them. Perhaps if he had known what was about to happen on that fine June afternoon he may have hesitated in intimidating the Chooms; a war was about to be staged and its brutality would be etched into the memories of all those who would witness the first “Battle of Brisbane”.

The Australians got off to the perfect start when hooker Dan Dempsey collected a dropped ball from the kickoff, and sent it wide. Following a quick play the ball, halfback Hec Gee was over after only sixty seconds. The sideline conversion by young Riverina five-eighth Eric Weissel was the icing on the cake.

The parochial crowd bayed for more blood when giant English prop Joe Thompson, who until being knocked out in the first scrum boasted 260 consecutive games of football without missing a minute, was carried off.

Australia were up 8-0 when Wilson scored off a Gee burst and another Weissel goal saw them increase their lead to 10-0 by half time.

At the break Harry looked over his battered charges. The Poms had thrown everything at them, and although the score was in Australia's favor the injuries were worrying: Gee had a torn lip stitched, and Frank O'Connor sported a large gash above his eye, courtesy of a wayward English boot. The
big English centre pairing of thugs Stanley Brogden and Arthur Atkins was monstering 19 year old Eastern Suburbs centre Ernie Norman, in his debut test. Norman had already left the field three times for treatment, but returned each time, begging for more. Harry knew these boys would give their all.

As the English ran back on to the field, Harry noticed previously pole-axed Thompson had recovered while his fellow protagonists Hodgeson and White had both suffered gashes to their heads and were sporting multiple stitches along with looks of bleak determination.

Two quick retaliatory tries after the break narrowed the gap to 10-6.

Gee had been stretchered-off, and Norman was being systematically bashed-up out wide. Harry noticed Dempsey was carrying his arm and a zambuck confirmed it was broken. When Harry finally got him to the sideline, Dempsey broke down in tears, not from pain but rather in frustration as Australia was down to only 10 men.

When Brogden crossed and looked like scoring Frank O’Connor miraculously stole the ball, and despite the Lions claiming a try, referee Simpson ruled a 25-yard drop out. Weissel hobbled over to the wing, and refused to leave the field despite having a fractured ankle.

Australia could only muster three forwards for a desperate scrum. Norman went back on to lend a hand, but Gee was still on the stretcher. This didn't deter our Harry Sunderland… he ordered him back on. Still dazed, Gee staggered into the fray. Gradually they inched the Englishmen back up-field.

A Joe Pearce hit on English half Adams cannoned the ball into the arms of the wounded Weissel. With a fractured ankle and six Englishmen in hot pursuit he led them an incredible 75 yards up field.

The English defense ran him down only three yards from the uprights. In excruciating pain, Weissel played the ball before keeling over. A still concussed Gee staggered into dummy half and crashed over with four minutes remaining. As Weissel still lay prone, Pearce converted and Australia had won against all odds 15-6.

As the sofa creaks from my lethargy, I reflect on Harry Sunderland, those bygone days and the modern game. Images of players clutching their Gatorade, perched on medicabs, assault my psyche: please, bring back the bloody biff.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
Titanic for the Titans emerges from the darkside of Kogarah (750 OWC including the title between the dotted lines).
......................................................................................................................

72r_small.jpg
A coach's dilemma

I am fed up with my million dollar existence. Really, I am. The public spotlight is just too much. I really cannot take any more of the ridicule.

Eons ago it seems, I could play well… really well. Country boy makes good. Strong of body and clear of mind – the whole rugby league world had given itself up and I was the conqueror. Now, however, my pitifully pampered living, eked out as an NRL coach, could hardly be called “life”. No, even death must be better than this, and now, I’m going to make that better choice. I’m choosing death.

I grasp my only straight-edged razor, shelved for years in favour of my deluxe Braun Series 7.760cc electric foil shaver. Slowly I lower it towards my wrist, the silver blade glinting in the dim light of my palatial Grecian terracotta-tiled bathroom. I run my hands up and down the blunt edge, almost caressing it. This is my first class ticket to happiness, my way out of a life full of gilded misery and grief. I’ll surely go to a place where nobody cares if I have a few too many beers like “normal” people or that the team's playing far below expectations.

Suddenly, a thought occurs to me. I haven’t paid my phone bill. The account will be cut if I don’t pay it by tomorrow. I get up, and almost drop the "shank" as I begin to look for the keys to my BMW X5. I’m searching for the reminder notice when something else occurs to me.

Why would I need a connected Nokia E75 touch pad, qwerty keyboard mobile phone if I am dead? Shaking my head at my own stupidity, I return to my seat beside the imported French glazed window and reposition the blade on my wrist.

As I raise the razor slightly to make the incision, I notice my veins. Funny, I’ve never paid any attention to them before, but now, they look so… defenceless. Yes, they seem fragile. Tiny blue lines that criss-cross, stark against my pale, almost white under-wrist skin. They are throbbing too, ever so softly in concert with my Rolex Cosmograph Daytona. I run my hands over the skin covering them, surprised at how I don’t feel anything. I was sure I would feel pain if I touched them.

"Concentrate," I berate myself sternly and turn back to the task at hand. My suicide: the swift and hopefully not too painful termination of my pointless being. It’s getting dark, I must do it before long if I don’t want anyone from the club or even worse the media to knock or phone and disturb me. As I press the mesmerising blade to my wrist, right on those delicate veins, another thought occurs.

When I cut myself, I’m sure to make a mess, and I certainly don’t want to stain the hand sewn Italian lace covers on this antique Chippendale window seat, with its carved and pierced sprats in eluding rococo C-scrolls. I’m rather fond of this seat, and I really don’t want its regal bearing to be marred with great, dark splotches of my rather less than blue blood.

I bring out an armful of Sheridan towels from my designer bedroom and spread them across the seat, making sure that there’s a thick layer, sufficient to staunch the flow of blood, and sit back down to cut myself.

I draw the blade over my wrist, and pull it, but nothing happens. A very small cut is made, but that is all. The blade’s too blunt to work properly. I sigh and head to the kitchen, to find a better knife.

Entering the kitchen, I see Puddles, my Persian pedigreed cat waiting there to be fed. Feeling slightly guilty for delaying her dinner, I quickly prepare her meal and then rummage around for a sharper knife so I can cut myself.

None of the gleaming Solingen steel knives I possess seem good enough; I’ll have to buy a new one. I select my North Peak coat, look out the window and over the manicured lawn... it's raining. I don’t fancy getting soaked, so I slip off the coat, venture into my sunken lounge room and sink into the velvet cushions to reflect on my very own rugby league tragedy. I absent-mindedly grab the remote control and tune my Pioneer Kuro 50” plasma HD television set into the Fox replay of yesterday’s heartbreaking loss.

I will commit suicide tomorrow.
......................................................................................................................

Dragon_psa

First Grade
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Dragon_psa launches himself at the nearest Titans player, ready to rend the poor unfortunate asunder and force his way over the tryline.

This year???

It’s an interesting time to be a Dragons supporter.

I’ve followed this club since September 29th 1985 from over the ditch in Kiwiland. As an impressionable 12 year old who had grown up in a predominantly Rugby Union family (especially in the era when RU was much more a religion in New Zealand than it is today) I didn’t have much of an idea of what Rugby League entailed, except for the occasional “State house Rugby” or “Thugby League” comment from a certain group of my family and their friends over the years. Needless to say, many an unhappy time was spent watching Auckland or Counties fumble around the field for eighty minutes against the likes of Canterbury or other such RU “luminaries” as Horowhenua. As far as I was concerned, Rugby Union was utter sh*t.

1985 was a turning point for me. Television NZ had decided for the first time that year that they were going to televise a Winfield Cup grand final. My Uncle Terry had been running the Manurewa Marlins RL club for the preceding few years, and Uncle Terry had invited me over to his place to watch what he referred to as a real footy code. Uncle Terry was a fiercely proud member of the Casey family, and our family crest hung splendidly over his fireplace adorned with it’s magnificent red vee on a pristine white background. It was a sight to behold, and as Uncle Terry launched into a diatribe on the similarity between the crest and the jersey of the famous St. George Dragons, and their proud history, and how sh*t RU was compared to this great game, I was drawn into a state of excited anticipation of what action lay ahead on the telly.

Thus began my support for the Dragons, and while they lost that final, I was taken by this game that was so much more engaging to watch than any All Blacks test match I had ever sat through. This game was “choice bro”, and so was this team!

By the time 1992 rolled around, I was a fully blown St. George fanatic, but unfortunately more pain was to come. After Steve Renouf and Co had torn us 17 brand spanking new assholes, I was fairly upset. We had been in the Rugby League wilderness since the mid eighties, so to make it to the big one was a small consolation. The following year was worse however, when we lost Jason Stevens one tackle into the match, and without the big bopper to torment the Brisbane forwards ala round 22 of that year in Brissie, we were struggling. To go down in the decider two years running was traumatic to say the least, and with the following season being such a shocker for Saints (especially the 61 nil drubbing at the hands of Manly in July) I was down, but definitely not out.

A controversial loss in the first final against Canterbury later, and I was starting to show some bruises. When we came from nowhere to miraculously make the decider in 1996, I was convinced that this was the year to break the drought. Sadly (yet again!) it wasn’t to be, with Saints submitting to a dominant Manly outfit 20 points to 8. An injury riddled season followed, and in 1998 we went down in more controversial circumstances yet again against the Bulldogs, in which the famous “bucket incident” occurred involving the referee Steve Clark. We then move on to the Grand Final that hurt more than the other four combined. Due to word count limitations as well as suppressed traumatic memories, I don’t feel the need to go into great detail on that one…

Eight underachieving seasons later as a merged entity, and I find myself in a situation I have yet to experience as a Dragons supporter. The situation is that this year the Dragons are dominating the competition in a way not seen from a Saints team since the 1960’s. A multi-premiership winning coach, a strong line-up, and looking for all money like we could go all the way after 29 years of “close but no cigar”. To add to the intrigue, it’s looking very much like we could be heading for a re-match of that 1985 game against the Bulldogs. To win against them after they were there from my beginning as a Dragon, would be the sweetest victory, and just the tonic for past torments.

Well, I bloody hope so, anyway!

750 words including title.

tits&tans

Juniors

Billie Jean for the Titans, erm, sorry, i meant tits&tans, moonwalks on to the pitch, simultaneously thrilling the crowd and consolidating his rep as a smooth criminal. Who's bad?!

749 words (OWC) below the stars

Never Again

never%20again.jpg

[FONT=&quot]My encrusted eyelids slowly open, and I quickly force them shut as [/FONT]shafts of sunlight penetrate my pupils like a laser. Why didn’t I shut the bloody curtains last night?

I try again, but this time I can only see a blurred outline of what I assume to be the furniture in my room. Actually, I can’t even be sure this is my bed. I don’t remember having red sheets. Where have I ended up?

My head is throbbing, and I feel as if I’ve been given a good going over by a champion sumo wrestler. What happened last night? I tenderly feel the swollen egg on my forehead. Ouch. Won’t be touching that again any time soon.

I try to shake my head to remove the mist that's currently encasing my brain, but it won’t budge. I try to pull the covers over my head to block out the piercing light that is streaming into the room, but it’s then that I receive a deep, loud warning from my shoulder region. Why would my shoulders hurt? What did happen last night?

I gingerly lift my arm to check just how screwed up my nose actually is, because it feels like it has been pummeled by a gorilla. As my fingers brush the tip of my nose, my head explodes in a lightning storm of pain. I think it may be a little broken. Was there a brawl last night?

I slowly lift my head off the pillow, looking for the ringing noise that awakened me. Nothing. I can’t see any phones. It’s not the doorbell. There are no lights on the stereo over there. Where is the noise? It takes a few minutes for my addled brain to realise that the noise may well be on the inside.

As I selectively focus on the ringing, a deeper, more worrisome sensation emanates from down below. My blood runs cold as I make the connection between the feeling and the anatomical position of its source. Not there, please no. I think I recognise the feeling. Something related to overindulgence and pleasure perhaps? Is there a darker side to this? Something related to overuse? Tentatively I explore the nether region, half-dreading what I may find. Encrustation? Stickiness? Isn’t that contradictory? I decide that’s way too much information.

I slowly extend my right arm, flexing my fingers - are they all there? My fingertips brush against a body. What did I do last night? I quickly twist my neck to see who the hell might be lying there. More lightning bolts! Crikey, my neck hurts as well. Damn, last night must have been quite a session. My vision begins to clear and a naked back swims into focus. Phew! I breathe a sigh of relief from my aching lungs - at least the back is female. But wait, long blonde hair. Oh crap! I can now clearly see that the naked back belongs to a tanned, slim naked female body. My brunette wife is going to be a little nonplussed if and when she finds this out. Who did I do last night?

I try to roll over to block out this guilt-inducing image but sheet sticks to my legs. Why? I reach down and my fingers meet the juncture of skin and cotton. It feels wet and sticky. I try to prise the sheet away from my body. I stop. Too painful. A deep breath and I rip it off, just like how mother taught me to remove sticky-plaster.

It’s time to investigate the plumbing. As my weight transfers, I almost collapse from two simultaneous waves of discomfort; nausea from my stomach and blinding pain from my left knee. I hobble away from the bed, hoping the plumbing and pipes are not far away. I almost reach the door, before I trip, crashing to the floor. I look down to see the offending items – two muddy boots! Whoever lives here obviously doesn’t care much for cleanliness.

There is movement from the bed: “Honey, come back to bed.” I freeze. “Honey?” I make like the Invisible Man. “Ben! What are you doing?” She knows my name. “Open your eyes, stupid!”

I slowly open them to see my wife sitting up in bed. What looked blonde in the light, I now see is brown.

[FONT=&quot]“Get back here. You need to rest before this afternoon’s club bbq. Really, you’re getting soft. Eighty minutes, a couple of hits, and you completely go to pieces!” [/FONT]​

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Jason Maher betrays his Tweed heritage and charges onto the field, giving the Titans a Big Red V with his jersey, and both hands for good measure.

725 words.

Give the Kids a Go

While the Queenslanders are sitting back and relaxing, quite pleased with themselves at winning a fourth Origin series in a row, it seems every man and his dog in New South Wales has an opinion on why the Blues sides picked for the first two games were rubbish, and what the side should have been instead. The implication generally being that if their side had been picked by the selectors, the outcome would have somehow been different. Now while I agree we definitely could have selected better sides for both games (for example, by picking players who were in form), the reality we have to face up to is that it doesn't matter who we send out in the Sky Blue, Queensland at this point in time have us well and truly outclassed.

With that in mind, I believe the New South Wales selectors should basically wipe the slate clean for game 3. Forget about trying to restore pride by winning game 3. Let Queensland have their fun. The worst that can happen is that the clearly superior team wins again and their supporters rub our noses in it. We all know how much Queenslanders love talking about themselves, so let them knock themselves out. Instead, the selectors should be thinking long term: which players are the furture champions, who will be wearing Sky Blue over the next 5-10 years and taking the fight back up to the cocky northerners? Give those players a run in game 3. Leave next year's selectors with a bunch of good young players to pick from with at least one game under their belt and some idea of what Origin entails, rather than a bunch of green rookies (again). The fact that game 3 is at Suncorp in front of 50,000 idiot Queenslanders screaming for Blue blood is the best possible education for the young blokes to understand what State of Origin is all about.

Now I realise the risk involved in such a strategy: that a bunch of rookies could run out, get belted by 50, and have their confidence shattered in the process. My reponse to this is the best learning experiences are the painful ones. Pain and failure are great motivators. Observe Queensland – who have never forgot being belted by for 70-odd years by New South Wales teams featuring their own born-and-bred. It is also the job of any half-decent coach to be able to help his charges keep their chins up and learn from and grow through adversity. I would regard Craig Bellamy as better than half-decent, as much as I personally dislike him and the team he usually coaches.

I do earnestly believe that New South Wales will never match it with the current Queensland team until they are prepared to take a punt on good young talent and build a team over a couple of series. The selectors have got it half right this series, with the Wallace-Campese halves combination and the call-ups of Creagh, O'Donnell, Weyman, and Poore, but unfortunately they have shown no faith in the players selected. The dumping of Campese after one game was the complete opposite of the approach that needs to be taken. It seems certain now that Wallace will be following Campese out the door for game 3. What I sincerely hope is that we don't now see a halves combination of Barrett and Kimmorley. Nothing against either player, but there is an obvious opportunity here to solve two major problems the Blues had in games 1 and 2: poor kicking and poor passing from the halves. Jamie Soward, I believe, would solve the former problem, and Jarrod Mullen the latter. You would also be giving two young blokes a chance to get some valuable experience for future years.

So looking at a possible team that will not likely be challenging Queensland's superiority in a couple of weeks time, but looks something like a team capable of matching them for talent in a year or two, I would go with: Gidley ©; Hayne, Jennings, J. Morris, B. Morris; Soward, Mullen; O'Donnell, Watmough, Creagh; Poore, Farah, Bailey. Interchange: Wing, Waterhouse, Learoyd-Lahrs, Kite. Weyman's injury leaves us a bit light on for front-rowers, but surely this gives TLL the opportunity his form this season warrants.

Honestly, what have we got to lose?

TITs ANonymouS

Juniors

TITs ANonymouS for the Titans takes the field in this important match with the finals approaching. 750 OWC between the lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

camerama.jpg

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Rugby league has now surpassed its one hundred year mark with much fanfare, trumpet blowing and with more than a little back slapping from the powers that be. The average fan followed all of this with various reactions ranging from quiet compliance to enthusiastic participation. But how far has the game really progressed in that time?

To tackle this question first let’s review whence it all came; the genesis, if you like, of the modern game.

Every rugby league aficionado knows that the first association of the code was established in 1895 in the Old Dart and was the result of a split between the northern and southern parts of the country. The former being more of a blue collar mining zone and the latter inhabited by the predominantly pastoral middle class.

Today the game appeals to all sections of society, rich and poor, with many of the on-field stars transforming themselves into celebrities in their own right, once their playing days are done. So here's a change where the game’s appeal is not only more widely spread but very financially rewarding for the key stakeholders of the game, namely the organisations and clubs.

The flow-on from this is the most obvious change. In the words of Cuba Gooding Jr. “Show me the money!” The first dabbling of the sport with professionalism happened in 1908 as rugby league was born after the messy divorce from Yawnion.

The financial rewards were not initially substantial. The salaries paid to even the elite of the sport were not enough to support oneself and family until the 1970’s. For those of us fortunate enough to be born north of the border, the salaries were far less than those on offer from southern clubs due to Queensland’s gaming laws. Whilst this has thankfully stabilised, for many a year it was a boon for the Sydney clubs.

Nevertheless, without this lopsided monopoly we would not have today undoubtedly the greatest, most keenly fought and passionate contest in Australian sport, the State of Origin. In this regard, the game has come a long way from its humble beginnings for Aussie league fans.

Aesthetically the changes have been more modest. Various colours and stripes adorn the jersey both old and new with traditions largely upheld. The numbers are a little mixed up today, of course, like my grass-cutting cover-defending number eight now signifies a breed of a much sturdier mould.

Some say that technology has changed the game tremendously. The technology has certainly changed over time, but despite a seemingly inexhaustible array of expert opinions from both on and off the field officials, bad calls still get made today just like they did in the “good ole days”.

So what was it that inspired players to take the field in those early days? Certainly they loved the game. They played their hearts out for their jersey and mates. Perhaps there was a hint of testing ones skills and courage anew. Shall we label this “passion for the game”? Has the motivation changed?

Remember when Alfie Langer wanted to eat a pie more than play the game? With such heartfelt honesty he suddenly quit the game to a rousing send off, befitting one of the game’s greatest players. With even harder honesty he realised later he still had that passion and came back again.

When I played I loved everything about the game: the run on with your team mates and packing into a scrum; making an incisive run or delivering a slick pass, even getting hit by a booming tackle. As the years crept by, the muscles ached a bit more after each game but thankfully a beer or three helped one through those times. Mind you, like Alfie, I can’t say I liked training too much.

So where are we today? A carnival of cameras, instant replays, betting, high finance, more coaches, referees and player managers than dollars in Lockyer’s bank account, fantasy leagues, rule changes and focused media attention on and off the field. We certainly have all that.

But when it’s all boiled down, one hundred years ago we had thirteen blokes who ran onto the field to play the game because they loved it because of their passion for game. Today, despite the aforementioned developments and the associated trimmings, what inspires those blokes to play league is their love and passion for the game.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Posting by proxy for Dubopov.

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Dubopov storms onto an offload from Dragon_psa and surges for the line.

NO LOSS

Some people I know wondered why I was happy when Mungo Wilkes and his father, the esteemed Dr Maynard G Wilkes, were killed in a tragic accident which I would have witnessed if the lights in my mate Beetle's car were on at the end of the drag race.

Apart from the fact that we had been robbed in the Grand Final which Dr Wilkes refereed, and the fact that Mungo and I had been bitter on-field rivals for more than ten years, there was a third and much more sinister reason.

I suppose it's time I set the record straight.

Wilkes and I had very few things in common outside of League and hating each other's guts; one of those things was running SP betting at our schools - Buggeroff State High for me and his Count Rosary College. Mungo had branched out into running a book on the local footy games, constantly taking a lot of money from his team-mates and half the punters in town.

Two team-mates of mine, Chippy Wells and Sparky O'Hanlon were regularly sucked in by Wilkes who even went to the extent of paying his father's ref mates and a few players to swing results in his favour. Additionally, Wilkes supplied the boys with speed obtained from his father's practice which operated from the front of their residence.

A lot of players used speed to keep them going during games, particularly big hulking forwards like Sparky. Most blokes only used it on game days but, unfortunately, Chippy and Sparky developed a taste for the stuff which out-stripped their meagre apprentice incomes.

After overhearing the well named Bragger Hogan telling the public bar-fies about getting $200 for missing a conversion, the lads started to plot revenge.

"F**k me, that was the game when we lost 50 bucks ", blurted Chippy.

" Maybe we should get our money back mate. Them Wilkes pricks are away at Rep games this weekend. Let's go get our dough back."

They went out to the Wilkes' mansion and turned the place upside down. Only a few vials of speed and about $20 in change were found so the unimpressed boys re-enacted a couple of things they'd seen in movies - dropping a big turd in Dr Wilkes' study desk draw and shoving the family toothbrushes up their arses and taking photos.

A week after the break-in, Chippy sent photos of the toothbrushes betwixt cheeks to the family. The repulsed, angry Doctor immediately plotted revenge. He contacted his good friend Atlas Manthey, the local police Superintendent, and supplied him with the envelope which contained the photos; hoping that quality prints were there.

The Doc was in luck. Despite wearing gloves during the break-in, Chippy had stupidly handled the letter. His prints were on file after he had been a suspect in the Desiree Anderson snow-dropping investigation. Dr Wilkes didn't have Chippy arrested, he had bigger plans.

Mungo was used as the go-between to entice Chippy and other perpetrators to re-visit the house/surgery for some easy money. He approached our group at the Buggeroff Arms one Tuesday night after training and called Chippy and Sparky aside.

" Hey fellas .. if you're keen to get some good gear, the old man has just got a sh*tload of stuff in. I can't get it to sell to youse because he's been watching me like a hawk."

" Wouldn't the cops be watching your place now, after that break-in ? ", the quick thinking Sparky retorted.

" Nah. No break-in at our place. No cops either .. at the right times."

Wilkes paused, sipped his Cognac, and continued. " I'll leave the key in the pot plant near the back door. Be there Friday night between 10 past 8 and 10 to 9."

" What about payment ? "

" Fix me up next week."

That Friday night the boys visited the Wilkes' residence again. The key was where it should be, there were no cops and the safe where the Class A drugs were stored was conveniently open. After a dry week the boys quickly hit up.

They should've left then. But Chippy wanted to pull the toothbrush stunt again. Just for laughs.

Their last laugh. The bristles of the brushes had been soaked in the deadly Woop Woop virus. Within a week both were dead. I didn't know what caused their deaths but the Wilkes' were merkins of the highest order.

They were no loss.

747 words including title.

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean leaps happily on field for the Titans with 737 between the bars.

12th July: Maroons Press Conference

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to be here this evening.

Let me first assure yourselves and Maroons fans everywhere that no major incident has occurred in our training camp: all players are 100% fit, even those with swine flu. In fact, at the request of those currently infected with the virus, I’ve been asked to ask yourselves not to refer to them as ‘sufferers’, but rather as ‘tourists’: the feeling from within camp is that swine flu infections should not be taken particularly seriously.

Looking forward to Wednesday night’s match, and taking into account the 4 straight series victories of Queensland over New South Wales, we have reason to be sincerely cautious. Historically, the Maroons have prospered only when labelled with the ‘underdogs’ tag. Looking at recent form, some pundits have suggested it would require acts of no less than seven separate gods to allow New South Wales to win in two days time.

The Maroons management team, myself included, view this optimism with concern. Consequently, together with our research partners at the University of Queensland Faculty of Fuzzy Logic and Woolly Thinking, led by Professor Alan Gore, we’ve been looking to regain our poorly-deserved underdog tag.

I would like to invite Professor Gore to explain the results of his research.”

“Thank you Mal.

Being massive fans of the great game of League, my faculty and I have worked towards finding justifiable bases for applying the ‘underdog’ tag to the mighty Maroons. As the balance stands, it seems somewhat inevitable that a Queensland triumph will again eventuate. Any discussion of this possibility needs to be halted immediately lest Queensland become favourites and consequently lose badly.

The research towards finding justifiable reasons why Queensland may lose this horrid favourites status has been intensive. My team and I have devoted 24-hour runtime on seven different computer systems to finding and enumerating everything that would possibly go wrong (in other words, assist New South Wales to regain their ill-earnt favourites label) between now and kick-off.

Scrolling on the projector behind me are sections of the more than 20 million possible situations identified by our research. While some of these may seem unlikely, million-to-one chances if you will, then please note that with more than 20 million situations possible, a Maroons underdog tag is not only to be wished for, but statistically likely.

If you now take a moment to examine some of these…”

439: Voice on television instructs Hayne to pull his socks up. Doing so reveals three unexpected sets of diving weights. 440: Unexpected blizzard suits southern playing style. 441: Keys to Maroons team bus left in driver’s other suit. 442: Shower of Himalayan tiger paws strikes Greg Inglis during kickoff. 443: Swine flu moves from mildly uncomfortable to uncomfortable. 444: San Andreas Fault moves to Sunshine Coast. 445: Make-your-own-fugu kits presented to lock forwards prove unwise. 446: Darren Lockyer revealed to be an android. 447: NSW Blues replaced en masse by Hockeyroos. 448: Ice skates ordered instead of football boots. 449: Second coming of Jesus, wearing Blues scarf. 450: Israel Folau accidentally deported to Middle East. 451: Moon loses orbital stability, breaks Cameron Smith’s left ankle. 452: Ray Bradbury selected as motivational speaker. 453: Stadium collapses. 454: Mutated crocodile bites Jonathan Thurston, leaving him with supernatural ability to bask all day in the sun. 455: Mutated crocodiles bites found to be contagious. 456: Maroon’s players accept Matthew John’s invitation to party with his brother. 457: Hail storms form accidental, exact replica of Stonehenge in dressing room. 458: Glacial motion accelerates, covering Dairy Farmer’s stadium. 459: Gatorade replaced with unusually spicy guacamole. 460: Physiotherapist found to be using contraceptive jelly instead of Deep Heat. 461: Sudden grass phobia develops. 462: Players forced to learn words to national anthem. 463: Kylie Minogue’s mini skirt collection swapped with team kit. 464: Wandering herd of bison strangely attractive. 465: Sudden invasion by East Yemeni primary school teachers distracts players, confuses coach. 466: Shane Webcke announces he can actually believe its not butter. 467: Fashion for fake fingernails leaves four blind. 468: Trent Barret replaced with rugby league player. 469: Aurora Borealis takes personal dislike to Mal Meninga. 470: Shredded newspaper covers three …..

“As you can see these situations leave no possible doubt over the Maroons deserving the ‘underdogs’ tag for next Wednesday night.

Now, let us examine the statistics behind this list…..”

*tips grateful nod to The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31051

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
Some great reads, as you'd expect from a Titans - Dragons match. Well done and good luck to all.

Titanic

First Grade
Thanks Bartman.

An excellent scramble with Ama stuck in Mumbai traffic, t&t fighting with the accountant, Coaster taking the trouble & strife to the hospital, TA on a conference call to Korea... proud to be a part of ya.

Thanks Dragons, some great reads - as always a neck and neck affair.

Over to you The Colonel.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
4v5 - what can I say? Totally gutted, but well played Titans. Superb reads from all of you and it's not hard to see why you're the premiers.

The Colonel

Immortal
Titans

Amadean - 89

The Maroons will stop at nothing to prove themselves the underdog. Too far? Maybe.... don't rule it out.

tits&tans - 90

Very enthralling read. Descriptive as well as a few twists.

Titanic - 89

The life of an NRL coach. Who really wants it?

Coaster - 85

Much has changed in rugby league over the years. This is a good representation of those changes.

TITs ANonymous - 88

When you look at the nuts and bolts of it all, the underlying thing is not much has changed.

Total - 441

Defeated

Dragons

Dubopov - 86

A solid follow up to 'One Minute'.

Johnsy - 84

Definitely a big improvement in the Saints this year and not just in the stats.

Dragon_psa - 87

Everything seems to be in the right alignment for the Dragons. Could this be their year?

Jason Maher - 87

Some good points raised that the NSW selectors could and should use.

Total - 344

POTM - tits&tans