What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 (2009) EELS vs ROOSTERS

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Round 6 2009
PARRAMATTA EELS v OZZIE ROOSTERS
par-alt.jpg
] -v-
syd-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 1st July 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: Amadean
Venue: Parramatta Stadium
ground_parra_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

bartman

Immortal
The Parramatta Eels F7 troops run out onto their home turf, heads held high and not planning on giving these Ozzie Roosters anywhere to hide...

attachment.php

Parramatta Power
natheel
Goleel
Phantom Eel
dean

- - -
Prince Charles
bartman (c)
MarkInTheStands (c)

Parramatta Power is now back to make ammends for a poor showing last week...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a change a Wayne can make…

On the 1st of October, 2006, I watched him lead out a Blue-Bags side (inner-city side pushed into obscurity) on the not-so hallowed but okay ground of ANZ Stadium against a might pack of 2nd Grade Eels which included the likes of Blake Green and Joel Reddy among others. He with all of his neglected talent attempted to pull-off some-what of a miracle win and he nearly achieved this in front of about 79,000 fans. If some where in your mind you were guessing it was Jamie Soward, you would be spot on.

His skill had become surplus material and only on the benches of the Easts did he sit withering away(like the Blue-Bags) into obscurity and mediocrity. He would soon find himself clubless and for a player with potential like him, it was a darn shame. He was never a bad-man, never a sad-man but a forgotten one. Luckily, the Dragons through him a life-line and he held on to become what he is today. Now I ask you, can you picture a successful Saints team without him?

And yet, under the watchful eye of Nathan Brown, he flourished however despite his apparent skill and his supposed “midas touch”(highlighted by one Phil Gould in ‘07), the dragons remained mid-table. In 2007, they missed the finals, a resounding shame for the boys from Kogarah. After a promising 2008 season(which ended disastrously), the services of Brown were no longer needed. In came a legend in the world of coaching. The League equivalent of Sir Alex Ferguson. Wayne Bennett.

After 20 years at the helm of the Broncos, he moved on to new endeavors to where the locals bleed Red & White. He would be the catalyst for Soward’s meteoric rise in game within just 5 months of an offseason and yet I’m not the only one that’s noticed…

“Soward’s pin-point play regiment has become a star attraction and its no secret Bennett is the provider of the play-book” stated by Ray Hadley.

He later added:

“If there’s any one I’d put my $50 on to get the Dally M at the end of the regular season, I couldn’t fail to notice Jamie Soward”

It’s not just Hadley’s rants that supports this fact, the stats as they say also tells the story as well…

By the end of Round 12, he was the leading kicker in terms of gaining metres, 7077m to be exact. His nearest rival was Cooper Cronk well behind on 4291m. He was also 3rd on the Points scorers list with 100 Points behind Thurston and Hazem El Masri who were on 112 and 104 points respectively. Just to give some historical perspective of his improvement under the guidance of Wayne Bennett, in 2007, it took him the whole season just to reach the tally of 100 points.

Lets not forget about his amazing 21 points on a great and somber day that was the ANZAC day clash between the Saints and the Easts at the Sydney Football Stadium. Soward ran in 2 tries, converted all of the kicks, got 2 penalties which all but sealed the game for the Dragons and capped off a phenomenal performance with a Field Goal. Even Fittler in a deeply disappointed mood commented on Soward’s 21 point haul:

“You give this kid some space and a fair share of the ball and he’ll make you pary, dearly”.

And talk about making a contentious and controversial impact in the most intense game of the season… Being pointed out as taking a “dummy-dive” when Patten raced through before giving an offload pass to Idris to go over. It was at this moment when many Bulldogs fans would cry foul and showcase their anger at the notorious decision by the Video Ref, Steve Clark. So Soward has not avoided some criticism this season but taking in the full picture that is his season performance and this would seem as a minor disruption to an otherwise near-flawless season.

It would said that Soward has been overlooked highly by the Blues Selectors. Considering Soward has more 1st Grade experience and therefore expertise than Campese. It will not be long before Soward is a consistent Representative Rep footballer that is if Wayne Bennett is still at the helm of the Saints to give him the directions that has lead to a so far outstanding and ever improving season for the Dragons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources: Rugby League Week, NRL Stats.com, Brisbane Times & Daily Telegraph

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

744 Words(excluding Sources).

natheel

Coach
NATHEEL MAKES FORUM 7'S DEBUT!!!!​

A true Story Dating back to 2002!!

A SIMPLE WISH!!
Work Off Field Goes Un-Noticed!!!

A young Boy of Kiama is Living proof that if you wish upon a star, dreams actually do come true.

Lately footballers have been in the media spotlight for alot of the wrong reasons. What the media sometimes fails to capture are the good deeds alot of the NRL stars do do within the community. Be it for Make a wish foundations, visting hospitals, running school training days their are alot of things the media doesn't see that the players do.

This is one of those stories that the media doesn't see, where a club puts in a lot of work to help make a young Parramatta fan's make a wish dream come true.

Nathan a St. Joseph's High School Student who has dealt with severe kidney problem's throughout his entire life lodged a simple, yet special wish to the Starlight Foundation.

Instead of wanting to Meet a major Movie star or a trip to Disneyland, the avid NRL fan wished to Attend a State Of Origin match and have an oppurtunity to train with the Parramatta Eels.

The Starlight Foundation along with Volkswagen Dealerships and the Parramatta Eels flew the young fan and his family up to Brisbane to sit with the Parramatta Eels squad at the second state of origin match, took him to the parramatta training session the next day, and then to the Friday night clash between the Brisbane Broncos and Parramatta Eels.

Nathan also got to hang out with the Eels squad before and after the match, give some words of advice to Brisbane captain Gorden Tallis and then visit Ray Warren, Paul 'Fatty' Vautin and Peter Sterling in the Channel nine commentary box where he was shown the ins and outs of how the Game is called.

Volkswagen General manager for Marketing was heavily involved in making Nathan's wish come true.

As part of a sponsorship package with the Parramatta Eels, Volkswagen was able to give 4 tickets to his family.

Eels Coach Brian Smith visited James at his school, where he was presented with a signed Parramatta Eels Jersey and the tickets at a ceremony in front of the students.

The Parramatta Eels were praised for the amount of time they took to make sure James was well looked after.

"They're the nicest bunch of people, i can't believe they would take time to just hang out" Nathan Said.

"David Solomona and Daniel Wagon even came down to the games arcade in the hotel just to play a few games of air hockey with me, and took time to sign things for me with out me even asking"

Parramatta coach Brian Smith was very glad he and the players were able to make a wish come true.

"The player's really enjoyed his company, He was a bit beside himself at first but once he spent time with the boys they got on great".

Nathan's Father , who donated the kidney to his son, couldn't thank enough those involved in making his son's wish come true.

"He has absolutely been blown away. It has been a real big lift as he is a mad keen Parramatta supporter," his Father said.

"I just want to thank the starlight foundation and the Parramatta Club very much, especially Brian Smith who went out of his way to make us all feel so comfortable and for treating my son well".

A few things Nathan did on his trip to Brisbane:

• Trained with Parramatta Eels each night, either Kicking with Hodgson or Burt or Running the Water with Daniel Wagon.

• Prior to the Game, helped weigh-in the players and after the game helped weigh the players.
  • Was in the team video session during the lead up to the Broncos game
  • Went surfing with Daniel Wagon and Adam Dykes
  • Sat with the Non-origin eels players (Adam Dykes, Willie Tonga, David Vaealiki, Adam Mogg were just a few) at the State Of Origin match (the match Brett Hodgson was Infamously Rag-Dolled by Gorden Tallis).

• Met Gorden Tallis and Made a bet with him:
  • If Parramatta were to win: He would give Nathan His socks and Shorts after the game,
  • If Parramatta were to lose: Nathan would have to Sign his Parramatta jersey and give it to Gorden himself
Parramatta Won in a close game and Gorden Tallis' shorts were presented to Nathan on the Thursday Night Footy Show!​

738 Words​

Last edited:
With this being the Roosters second last away game for the year, the party bus went off on the way to Parramatta. We're struggling to get composed, so let's see how we go...

STARTING
2. ADAMKUNGL
7. HENRIETE
9. SHORTY
14. NON TERMINATOR (C)
27. HEVYDEVY
BENCH
3. MONK
20. FEIN

A quick mention to congratulate the 30th Ozzie Rooster to make his debut, HevyDevy.

roosters_1967_s.jpg

Easts To Win

henrieté

Juniors
An Interview with Ryan Williamson

by henrieté fowler 26th, June 2009

In 2005 Artie Beetson first saw Ryan Williamson play in the Comp Fraternity Shield. It wasn’t just the ability he displayed on field that impressed Artie. Having won the coveted award for the most promising player of the carnival and selected to play in the Queensland U17’s team.

It was also the determination that he displayed off field. Twelve months prior Ryan moved from Mudgee to Mackay. After travelling 1500 km by car and arriving in Mackay on a Saturday morning. He immediately made his way to the junior league grounds signing with the first local team that would have him.

He met his new team mates, slipped on his footy gear and some 20 minutes later ran onto the field for his new team Brothers. Scoring four tries in his first game. He remained with Brothers for two years before joining South’s where he played his U16’s and U17’s years.

Ryan’s’ earliest memory of Rugby League is as a four year old and tackling his own team-mates, playing for the Mudgee Dragons. We can only assume the razzing he got toughened him up, because he is now an aggressive player who will give plenty and take plenty.

Ryan’s path to becoming a professional football player has not been a fairy-tale. It has been hard work and complicated with injuries. In the years since Artie Beetson signed Ryan he has been selected to play in representative sides as a winger. Including, being selected to play for the Queensland U18’s team. Playing in the national championships in Townsville.

Ryan lists being selected in the Australian Schoolboys team as a highpoint and was his most memorable game. His highlight so far? “Playing for Australia U18’s. Beating the Kiwis 2-0, making us the only team to go over there and win 2-0. We created history which is always nice, in today’s game”, he said.
That Australian team was the first Australian schoolboy team to go undefeated against the New Zealand schoolboys.

Being selected to play for Queensland in the U19’s squad was another step forward however, a knee reconstruction as the result of a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament rendered him unavailable to play. In 2008 he was awarded both the Roosters Best and Fairest and Most Valued Player in SG Ball competition.

Only a week or so away from making his first grade debut for the Roosters, Ryan broke his jaw. I asked what his motivation was to make a quick recovery. “To wear a Roosters jersey in first grade would be a dream come true for me. It’s what young players all strive for. Making my family so proud will be a massive high for me”.

HF: “How did you break your jaw?”

RW: “When I broke my jaw, there wasn’t much to it. I just got hit by another players shoulder in the face and heard it crack. I knew I could manage the recovery process and wasn’t too concerned about recovery because I had just come off a knee reconstruction. I was out for 9 months, so the pain didn’t really bother me a hell of a lot.” “I kept fit and have recently returned to full contact training. I just need a bit of match fitness.”

HF: “Ryan typically there are highs and lows in pursuing a career as a professional player, what is your biggest lesson so far?”

RW: “My biggest lesson is don’t come off the field knowing you could have given more.

HF: “What advice would you give to a young person who is considering playing league?

RW: “It’s not always the talented players that make it, it’s the ones who work hardest and want it the most.”

HF: “Who did you admire growing up and do you admire today?”

RW: “Andrew Johns and Greg Inglis”

At 197cm and 104kgs his future with the Roosters is at right centre where defensive skills are essential. If making four consecutive tackles in a club game with all four players being taken from the field is an indication, it won’t be a problem. Rugby League fans look forward to debutantes. Roosters fans are hoping he is named in this weeks First Grade match.

At 18 Ryan will progress and improve as a player. Having Artie back at the Roosters will assist Ryan cope with the inevitable pressure. League supporters are wishing Ryan a long and successful career.

Word Count: 739

Last edited:

HevyDevy

Coach
EEL FEELINGS

We’ve heard it for 12 months now: the laughing, the snickering, the gloating from Manly fans after streaking away to another premiership.
Supporting Parramatta has never been easy – not since 1986 at least – but even with their current predicament, those of us that witnessed the Eels of the early 1990s know better than any that the definition of ‘crap’ is arbitrary.
That’s right – the Parramatta side that ventured out during those lean days a little more than a decade ago was so bad that even losing a game by single figures was quite the accomplishment.
This was an era of such debilitating failure that the main reason for trekking out to Parramatta Stadium was because the chips on the hill were so damn good; an era when David Woods was hailed as our saviour despite the fact that he spent far more time in the rehab room than the weights room.
While Canberra fielded the likes of Ricky Stuart, Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley and Bradley Clyde, the Eels boasted such luminaries as Stu Galbraith, Tulsen Tollett, Bill Greentree and Vince Fawcett.
They were a side that promised little and delivered less.
A side so bad that victory was rarely measured on the scoreboard – as illustrated one Sunday afternoon in Canberra when Eels fans celebrated long and hard after delivering the home side a devastating blow.
What blow, you ask?
No, we didn’t win or even come close, but at least Ricky Stuart had suffered a serious knee injury along the way that quickly brought Canberra’s season to a crashing halt (the Raiders won 68-0 that day, by the way).
These were torrid times and like all true supporters, the blue and gold army would dream of the impossible – despite knowing full well that a trip to the footy was really a hidden form of masochism.
On one glorious Sunday afternoon in 1995, Parramatta had an entire stadium stunned when they shocked premiership heavyweights Brisbane to race to a 14-6 lead at the half-time break.
Could this really be happening, the Eels faithful wondered? Are we watching a miracle? Could the tide be turning?
Yes, said the newcomers; I want to go home now said the diehards.
Brisbane won 60-14.
Yet this was the life of a born and bed Eel … and, just occasionally, a miracle did happen.
That 1995 season will live long in the memory of us faithful – primarily for the fact that we won just three games all season and still managed to avoid the wooden spoon (thanks North Queensland) but also for a shock 22-16 win over eventual premiers Canterbury.
The Eels were dreadful that season (obviously) but somehow that one win made it all better.
In-fact, it was the enigma of this truly woeful side that on the rare occasions they jagged a win it often happened to be against someone near the top of the table.
Either that or we would lose by 50.
One such occasion was in 1992, when a couple of hours after Lee Oudenryn – a man with great speed but rarely able to catch a football – beat Martin Offiah in a pre-match foot-race, the Eels actually beat Great Britain.
GREAT BRITAIN!!!
In times like these it wasn’t so much a case of how did the Eels win, rather how the hell did the other mob lose?
But this was the life of a Parramatta fan. We knew what we were.
While Brisbane fans would yell “Give it to Renouf”, we’d be screaming “Don’t give it to Muchmore.”
There has, of course, been plenty of pain since.
Thanks to coach Smith’s remarkable skills of resuscitation, the Eels found a new and far more impressive means of falling short: a debilitating loss to the Bulldogs in the 1998 semi-final after leading 18-2 with 11 minutes remaining; falling to Melbourne in a game they ‘couldn’t lose’ 12 months later; that debacle of a grand final in 2001 and a 29-0 loss to North Queensland in the grand final qualifier four years later when hot favourites to win the title.
The Eels have made losing an art form over the past decade but those of us that have been there for the long haul know that, even for the failings of this Parramatta side circa 2009, it could be far worse.
It could be 1995.

731 words

After being caught out for throwing ice at Bartman, Non Terminator attempts the runaway try for the Ozzie Roosters. In a bit of a hurry here.
(750 words under the Rooster)

roosters_1967_s.jpg

Second Life

My girlfriend recently became a new employee of a Mobile Phone company. She was hired to work as a telemarketer. Not even three days into her new role, she was told that she would be let go because her new employers didn't appreciate her work methods (despite being better suited to her position than the methods given to her to work with). She was never going to be given a second chance to keep her job. With the availability of positions currently active becoming worse in the modern day, anyone and everyone can find it extremely difficult to find employment right now.

Rugby League players should consider themselves lucky. Yes, it is understandable that it is hard to make a career out of being a professional sportsmen, but to the eyes of the Rugby League supporters that just makes it harder to understand why the players would jeopardise their career and reputation with controversial incidents. Small incidents such as public urination, drink driving and assault still leave the majority of players with an extremely small fine for their crime.

Every few weekends the media reports on incidents involving the players (and sometimes officials). While most of the sporting "experts" debate whether they:

- Deserve a tiny "nothing" fine that someone like me could earn in half a year.
- Cop a suspension for a few weeks from the game.
- A warning (although that is only handed out to the players who are highly required by the club, rookies don't get this).

On a small amount of occasions, the career is in jeopardy. It is a certainty that clubs take different measures with toleration to these incidents. For example during the 2006 season Brisbane sacked Neville Costigan for drink driving. In the same season, Canterbury P-Plater Reni Maitua was caught drink driving with a higher level. The club dropped him to Premier League.

It is true that each incident is different. Fans can argue that some of the players should have been fired. The controversial Raiders incident of 2007 where Todd Carney drove Steve Irwin's ute (despite being disallowed to drive at the time) in a high-speed chase with the police. It was no surprise to many when no-name Irwin was sacked, and star Carney was "retained" for the future of the club.

The chances some of the repeat offenders have been given, hell, if I had half of the amount of chances Willie Mason has had in my life-time, I wouldn't care about my job security for life. It's extremely easy to say "Rugby League players should stay off the spotlight, stay off the alcohol because you're a role model to the kids". I could never personally understand what it is like to be under the public spotlight, but sometimes we all think about what the player must be thinking when they get themselves into the situations.

However, when your employment is decided by various future multi-million dollar sporting clubs, sometimes a $5,000 fine just doesn't cut it. Anthony Cherrington was found guilty of serious violent assault, he must've felt like a million dollars when the sentence was a tiny $10,000 fine and 150 hours of community service. He is still employed and out of prison. How many people out of the sporting population will get off that lightly?

The fact is that even Rugby League players are going to find it difficult to gain employment if their sporting career falls through. Approximately one hundred players over the next few months might have their future in doubt with the very few remaining positions for the 2010 season that are currently up for grabs. The media has even quoted that players have "resorted to work". It's not Easy Street after all. There would be so many people who would work their whole lives to earn what some players earn in two or three years. The opportunity for these players is amazing. The downside for these players is that their footballing career realistically cannot expand certain physical ages. It makes you wonder why some players risk one or two years of such a short career for a night on the town.

Yes they are the best years of your life, but there is no need to go to the biggest extreme. The media won't notice a night in with mates. It would make this "career" so much easier for the young players coming into the sport.

Even the newest of role models need role models themselves. We all forget they're still only human.

Shorty

Staff member
Shorty gets a quick play of the ball away from NT...

750w between the ***

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

Right now to be a rugby league fan, you need plenty of patience.
While most cringed when Gould got on his soap box about Rugby League’s current state on The Footy Show, I nodded in agreement with everything said.

If I had to describe the state of Rugby League at the moment, I’d point out similarities to a ship over run by pirates – Not that David Gallop could even wish to be nearly as intimidating!
When the pirates first over took this ship, they were in control of everything no matter how detrimental and the mates were to obey these orders or die.

But some time later on after this take over – The mumblings of mutiny are starting to be heard.
Gus represents a mutiny by fans and media supporters of a great game being not only degraded but neglected.

League’s detriment is not the fault of media, the players or the fans but deep in it’s authority sector.
From David Gallop’s complete ignorance to expansion, coaches and CEOs setting the wonderful example of alcohol consumption, to the appalling state that the game’s officiating has become.
It’s no wonder this code is struggling for crowds with the way it’s cannibalizing itself.

We’ll start with David Gallop.
Getting little coverage of the sport and barely promoting it is apparently the ideal preparation for a random game in AFL cities.
Then when these cities show up in numbers similar to certain clubs in Sydney, Gallop turns around and can’t be bothered with the areas.

So League’s current state of expansion shows a few games without any promotion to AFL dominated areas and has Melbourne hosting a game in which two states ( Victoria is not involved) battling for supremacy.
While I didn’t mind Melbourne hosting Game I of this year’s State of Origin, I struggle to understand the long term logic behind it.

Then we have a coach that found himself in an embarrassing predicament involving alcohol, that he had the ability to shy his players away from but not himself.

Granted, if I was coaching a side like the Roosters at the moment, I’d be mighty tempted to indulge in a drop too – But Freddy, not after I’d been putting my players on an alcohol ban in an attempt to stop these incidents!

And….there’s the officials, I’m sure many of us could use different words to describe officials but they’re not exactly, er, appropriate.
It’s one thing to have dodgy calls, we all know they’re in sport – Look at the recent FIFA world cup and what Australia were dealt with when they played eventual champions Italy!

However it’s when these calls make a mockery or contradict rules in the book of League that things really start to become overwhelmingly questionable.

Take Wednesday’s epic Origin Game 2 match for example, Jarryd Hayne was awarded with a benefit of the doubt TRY with player of the ball Luke O’Donnell clearly holding Israel Folau back, as result he was unable to defend the quick dummy half TRY.

Now, I’m a Queenslander, I guess the possibility of bias slips into the mind of those reading, however there was a TRY of this fashion that was not only rejected but penalized against in a game featuring the Gold Coast Titans.

Another example is Friday night’s game featuring the Bulldogs and Cowboys that had winger John Williams penalized twice for not timing his jump to contest the football.
Not timing his jump?! What is this? So You Think You Can Dance?!

And then, we have the best part of the games’ officiating – The linesmen.
The linesmen, that apparently miss feet not touching/ touching the line plus forward passes that the video refs go up to check and the footage is shown on national television for the public to see what a complete shocker they missed.

Luke Patten summed up the officiating situation in the game perfectly, scoring a try with his head and giving the camera cheeky acknowledgment.

I often wonder just how many calls would be exposed if the NRL were to install a challenge system in place….

It’s hard enough for the rest of us to swallow what is being said about our game by various areas with agendas let alone the professional areas not able to set an appropriate example for the rest of the code.
Lift your game NRL or more and more will be echoing the voice of Gould.

adamkungl

Immortal
adamkungl makes it onto the field after receiving some painkilling injections...

The Grandest of Finals

State of Origin deciders, Test matches, World Cup Finals – none of them, in my opinion, compare to the build-up, the drama, and the excitement of a Grand Final. Indeed the aforementioned events may be a step above a club competition. However, State of Origin will always be NSW v QLD. We may have lost four in a row, but there is always next year. New Zealand may have overcome the odds to claim the World Cup, but you can rest assured that there will be many more Australia v New Zealand finals in future. But Grand Finals are a different beast altogether. The loser of a Grand Final does not, the majority of the time, get a chance for redemption. The Grand Final is all or nothing. Months, or even years of preparation, club building, training, working towards one last 80 minutes to either make it all worth it, or lament lost opportunities in crushing defeat. Some players will go their entire career without playing in one. Even more astoundingly, some fans have gone their entire lives without seeing their side feature in one, let alone win one! I would bring up Cronulla, but the long suffering fans of the North Sydney Bears (may they rest in peace) are a far better example. The last time they were in a Grand Final was 1943, when they were belted by Newtown 34-7. Never again did they reach the big day.

Grand Finals have given us some of the most controversial, dazzling, and plain amazing moments in Rugby League history, all the way back to 1909 in the Grand Final that never was. South Sydney and Balmain, indignant at their final being scheduled as a curtain-raiser for an international, agreed to both forfeit. Of course South Sydney turned up and kicked off, winning the match and starting a rivalry that lives on today. Ninety years later in 1999, a controversial penalty try awarded after a Jamie Ainscough brain explosion gifted Melbourne their first premiership in only their second year. 2003, in an event I have unsuccessfully attempted to remove from my memory, Scott Sattler pulled off arguably the greatest tackle ever seen to turn the tide for Penrith against the Roosters. 2005, that Benji Marshall flick pass. 2007, though a one sided affair, could mark the start of a possibly long running rivalry between Melbourne and Manly, with a knockout hit on Manly fullback Brett Stewart by Melbourne's Michael Crocker.

Perhaps the greatest Grand Final moment is one that some have claimed saved Rugby League. The year was 1997, Rugby League in Australia had split into two rival competitions, and morale was at a low. In the ARL Grand Final, Newcastle were underdogs against a Manly side that had featured in the two previous deciders. With minutes to go, Andrew Johns levelled the scores at 16-16. Then with 7 seconds on the clock Andrew Johns goes with a blind-side play, Darren Albert scores to bring Newcastle its first title, and gives the sport a much needed morale boost as it enters into a long and painful rebuilding phase.

Of course, none of these compare to my favourite Grand Final moment. 1999 – Greystanes Devils U10s, coming from a wooden spoon just two years earlier, had made their first decider. They were tipped to win, but with minutes to go were down by 8 after a Canley Heights try. Things were getting desperate, the halfback in tears. What follows is one of the greatest passages of play in Rugby League history. Devils kick the ball into touch from the kickoff and get a scrum 30 meters from the opposition line. Moments later, they score to bring the deficit to less than one try. They receive the ball from the kickoff, and after a determined march upfield, are just 15 metres out from the opposition line on the fourth tackle. In a piece of Andrew Johns-like brilliance, the halfback goes for the blind side, passing it to the tiny winger. Players, coach, and parents hold their breath. He sprints for the corner, and scores! The crowd goes wild as the siren sounds for full time. Of course, I may be a little bit biased here in describing this as the greatest moment in Rugby League Grand Final history, as I was the winger that scored that winning try. But that’s another thing with Grand Finals – no matter at what level, they always mean the same to those involved.

750 words between the stars

Dean

Juniors
Dean runs onto the field... That's all i've got.

Tradesmen and Workers unite.

Retired Bus Driver Bob Hendley, has finally had a gut full. No, he isn’t rallying behind his old union for better hours, or an increase in wages. He’s taking aim at the Rugby League community, and while Bob’s organisation is still only a small entity, its membership has doubled in recent weeks. David Gallop take notice, Bob means business.

Bob, a Bus Driver for forty years in St Marys, has recently formed the WAUSC, or Workers against unfair sporting comparisons.

“For years now; players, journalists, fans, or anyone with an opinion on sport, have been making these ludicrous comparisons between footy players and workers. Whenever a player is caught out on the drink, hitting someone, or making a cash grab overseas, we get our good names dragged into it. My mates and I are sick of it.”

It seems that Bob and his mates are not the only ones who feel aggrieved at the way plumbers, builders and others of their like have become a regular feature in discussions on player behavior and salary cap issues. Since its inception two months ago, the WAUSC has swelled to a membership of 650.

“It wasn’t a surprise at all, (how quickly the membership has risen) we knew that the working classes out their felt the same way. It was just a matter of getting organised.”

Bob sits in his newly formed office in St Marys, surrounded by newspaper clippings and spouting quotations with vehement disdain.

‘There is no salary cap on the workers - as far as a plumber, as far as a carpenter, as far as a builder. The worker should get what he's worth.’

“Now what the hell would Anthony Mundine know about us? He’s about as far removed from working class people as it gets. The fact that he’s comparing us to Sonny Bill Williams is completely and utterly insulting. Then you’ve got Sonny Bill doing much the same.”

‘If a lawyer, if a teacher, if a bus driver, if they’re on $40,000 and they get offered a lot more to go somewhere else, what do you think they’re going to do’? Are they going to change bus companies? Or are they going to sit there and say `all these people want me to stay here because I’m the best bus driver in the jurisdiction.’

“First of all, what the hell is a jurisdiction? I worked as a bus driver for forty years and never once called my route, my jurisdiction. Route, Sonny Bill, Route, it sounds similar to what your get up to in public toilets.”

“These clowns don’t know the power of their words. Just last year, my fifteen year old grandson asked me if I ever chased the big money in the inner city jurisdictions. No joke, that’s what he said.”

“It’s not just limited to my teenage grandson; even the workers are taking it on board. A young kid at the St Marys’ Bus Company just left Australia so he could pursue the big money that he apparently deserves in France. Last I heard, the kid was getting plenty of offers in Paris, but kept turning them down, saying ‘pay me what I’m worth.’ It’s crazy, lives are being ruined, and we plan to put a stop to it.”

It seems that Bob’s wrath does not stop with the sportsmen. As he flips through his pile of paper clippings he finds a multitude of opinion pieces from journalists angry at sportsmen, but ignorant to the damage being done to honest hard workers like Bob and his mates.

“You name the journalist, they’re in this pile. Magnay: ‘…I think a plumber out in Blacktown trying to survive on $30,000 a year and raising a family is under a hell of a lot more pressure than a highly paid footballer', Howick: ‘…but that is all he does. Compare that to the likes of a Nurse, plumber, builder or even a cleaner.’”

“I’m sure they mean well, but they’re dragging our names into situations that we are not part of.”

“And it doesn’t stop there; non-professionals, simple fans, normal people are jumping on the band wagon. Forums and blogs are full of this type of crap. Gregory of Brisbane: ‘There is no set code agenda for plumbers, carpenters, airline pilots etc, so stop applying these arbitrary rules to footballers.’”

“It’s getting into the culture now. They just say it off hand and our group is here to change this.”

744 Words

References:

Howick. New Zealand Herald.

Magnay, J. Sydney Morning Herald.

Toohey, b. The Daily Telegraph.

Last edited:

Goleel

Juniors
Gol struggles out onto the field for the Eels, running out in a tracksuit to beat the cold.

---

Coping With Loss

Saying goodbye is tough, no matter the circumstance. From lovers parting ways to having to throw out your favourite pair of old socks, letting go is often the most difficult challenge a man will face. Being a man who enjoys shirking challenges, I hang on to everything I care about until it is ripped from my clenched fists, leaving me banging them on the carpet in a tantrum four year old terrors would be proud of. You can imagine how I am coping then, as Parramatta goes through a period of rebuilding.

As the club attempts to overcome the masterful recruitment of Michael Hagan, some of my favourite Eels will be squeezed out of the club. While his plan to sign four wingers to long term deals was truly inspired, it leaves Parramatta in a situation where they are paying far too much for far too little. Luke Burt, Krisnan Inu, Eric Grothe, Ben Smith and Joel Reddy just cannot fit into the one backline. It is likely that within 18 months, two or more of these players will not be in the blue and gold, and that just breaks my heart.

Luke Burt has been a favourite player of mine for a long time. I was there for his debut in 1999, I've shared a beer with him at a poker table as we reminisced over a classic hat-trick he scored against the Knights back in 2001. He has always held a special place in my heart, and his departure would hurt more than any other. He has spent ten years in the Eels colours, and for him to be forced out at this stage of his career would be a shame. At the same time, he is a likely candidate. He has plenty of years of football left in him, but he doesn't have blistering speed or brute strength like many other first grade wingers, and his goalkicking is down on previous years. He may be the choice to go simply because he doesn't have the upside of his younger teammates.

My feelings for Eric Grothe personify a love hate relationship. At his best, he is a near unstoppable force, at his worst, a complete liability in defense with a cancerous attitude to match. I was happy for him to go last year, but in 2009 he has turned his attitude around, and is approaching the form that made us love him in the first place. He is the most naturally gifted of our three quarters, but perhaps he has run out of chances.

Krisnan Inu will come back to haunt us should we let him go. Of that, there is no doubt. Unfortunately for us, he is also on a massively inflated contract, one that we are not getting value for money from. If he can adjust to the centres, then there is hope, but he isn't progressing as fast as expected, and has spent time in the lower grades this year. He is a great character and ambassador for the game, but can we afford to keep him?

Joel Reddy is another favourite of mine, being a real effort player who would happily bleed for the club. He truly loves being in first grade, and will never give anything other than his best for the team. Is that enough to keep him in the side ahead of more naturally talented players? I really hope so. Reddy has shown great touch in recent weeks, his game against Brisbane last weekend was a corker.

Ben Smith may already be gone. Too slow for the centres, not tough enough for the back row. Injuries have crueled his career, a move to the back row was inevitable for him with his size, but not this soon, and he has been caught unprepared. Smith has had some great moments for Parra, and is a top defensive centre, but he was run around a few too many times this year to stay in the top grade.

As we reach the twilight years of the careers of Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless, knowing we must lose others I have grown to love over the years hurts. It may also leave me needing to replace some carpet in the living room if I don't learn to cope with loss in a more 'adult' way. Don't even get me started on the rumours of Hayne to rugby or Mateo to the Bulldogs, it just might push me over the edge.

---

748 Between the lines.

phantom eel

First Grade
Phantom Eel finally makes it to the field, and it's a 5 on 5 match...

- - - - -

Younger, fitter, stronger…

portrait_of_dorian_gray_by_mercuralis.jpg

Modern rugby league is a young man’s game in many many ways. Each season we come to enjoy the skills and talents of another wave of NRL debutantes – younger, fitter, stronger, and more confident than the debutantes that came before them.

At this point in each season we often find ourselves discussing which players should be given their first taste of representative football, with an Origin series up for grabs – or perhaps an Origin dynasty to either break or maintain. Again, the younger, fitter, stronger and more confident players get the nod as the older, tried and tested players having less impact make way.

But during the Origin series itself we also get to see temporary glimpses of yet more young players, stepping into rather big shoes as they fill the representative vacancies in their club sides. It is these tentative steps into first grade that can be the indicator of whether a prodigy who has shown all the skill through the junior leagues might be capable of making a lengthy first grade NRL career in the years ahead. If they perform reasonably during their earliest tastes of top level footy, then a young player’s card is marked as one to watch… one for his club to attempt to re-sign, or for other clubs to approach and poach.

Of course, we now have the National Youth Competition in place for players under 20 representing each of the NRL clubs, and televised as a curtain raiser to some weekly NRL matches on pay TV. This competition is often played on NRL game days and helps give the youthful charges a small taste of the lifestyle, the schedules, and rituals of what lies ahead if they make the cut for a professional rugby league career. The NYC is a great concept, and finally brings us back to a successful structure that had been part of the pre-expansion Sydney rugby league experience years ago, where you could trace the careers of players like Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny and Eric Grothe through the junior grades simply by getting to the first grade game day a little early.

The game of rugby league evolves year on year based on the strength of its younger players coming through, the result of one giant generational production line. It’s what makes our game great and helps our code to survive in an increasingly crowded sports marketplace. So long as we look after the junior participation base – and the areas our young players are typically drawn from, including the country group competition areas – then our game can withstand all sorts of geographical incursions, broadcast arrangements and publicity campaigns from sporting codes.

However, along with our constant celebration of the younger, fitter, stronger and more confident players filtering through into our game, there are some downsides to the rate at which we turn these talented kids into stars. Like Oscar Wilde’s Picture of Dorian Gray, the ever evolving, ever improving and ever youthful spectacle of rugby league also has a less attractive legacy hiding in the shadows, a result of our fascination with youth and the next best thing. Like Dorian Gray himself, we all need to be careful that we don’t sell out our game’s soul just to try and ride on the crest of this wave of youth.

My point in this discussion about young players I guess stems from the news that a young Eels halfback named Albert Kelly has been snapped up by the Sharks for next season. I’ve seen this Albert Kelly play. And if you’ve read the papers you’ve likely heard his name, and perhaps even seen him on TV during broadcasts of the National Youth Competition matches. He is yet to play a single first grade match, and we have no idea how he’ll fare in open age footy – whether he’ll be one of the ones capable of a lengthy NRL career or whether he’ll fall at the first hurdle.

But the shadowy side of our collective fascination with the younger, faster, stronger and more confident in rugby league is the hype that comes with it. Will Kelly eventually become the next Peter Sterling, or simply be next year’s Ben Barba? That’s the risk the Sharks have taken, and that’s the challenge that Albert will face. If he can be younger, fitter, stronger and more confident than those who've come before him, he will be proof that rugby league indeed is a young man's game.

- - - - -

750 words

bartman

Immortal
Great for the Eels to come up against the Ozzie Roosters team, and well done all for what's shaping like a great 5 v 5 match.

Best of luck to the debutantes Natheel and Hevy Devy, and N-T... careful with that ice :lol:

Bartman and co.
It has been an absolute pleasure playing against you guys. It'll be a close one, some great articles all around. If I may, I'd like to give out some special mentions. First to Natheel and HevyDevy, it isn't easy to make your debut but both of you have done marvellous in this match.

Another special mention to Adam, for playing whilst sick. It shows how devoted the Roosters here are, damn proud sight. You guys make this such an easier job, I thank all of you.

Good luck ref!

natheel

Coach
Thank you for the special mention N.T pleasure playing my debut against you guys!!

and best of luck with the final score, good articles all round

adamkungl

Immortal
lol, playing while sick...yeah forum7s is tough, i was pretty drained after the match.

seriously though, good game parra

HevyDevy

Coach
A bit ironic that I wrote about supporting Parramatta while representing the Roosters against Parramatta, but there you go.

Latest posts