What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 - Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs: Friday 19th April 4:05pm @ANZ Stadium

ThingFish

Juniors
Frustrate is the right word you used there. The frustration creates impatience and leads to a lack of composure with the ball.
It’s always been the way to beat us, but there could have been at least a dozen penalties blown in that second half. Wayne called the refs out on it in his press conference as well. In their eagerness not to blow penalties, they created one of the most boring halves of league seen for many a season. BTW the Titans did a job on us in the ruck as well.

ThingFish

Juniors
That game was awful in pretty much every aspect.
The good thing is we’re 5 from 6 and have been utter garbage. When we find some form we should be unstoppable.
Unfortunately we’ve only played one good side in those first 6 games. With our next 3 games against bottom 6 sides if we don’t go 8-1 we could be in real trouble come the real competition part of the season.

Travitoh

First Grade
Unfortunately we’ve only played one good side in those first 6 games. With our next 3 games against bottom 6 sides if we don’t go 8-1 we could be in real trouble come the real competition part of the season.

It's a similar story to last season when we went 9 straight through the middle.

Pommy

Coach

I’m not so sure I think sometimes you play to the opposition. The doggies didn’t want to play and that can make it hard to play against them.

callmack1

Staff member
I was really, really looking forward to this game as the Good Friday clash is always good to watch, it was a dry track and I was expecting a big performance from the boys. However, it was far from it. To be honest, that was an awful game. An absolute bludger. Why? Because of the refs. The refs were terrible tonight as they let the Dogs get away with murder around the ruck which just completely killed the game. The Dogs were allowed to constantly hold us down for way, way too long which just absolutely killed the game and turned it into a slug fest. It killed any roll on we got too which contributed to our poor performance. I'm not using the refs as an excuse but some of the stuff they let go is just not acceptable to the point that I think minimising penalties has gone way too far. If a supporter new to the game watched that, they'd think, "what the hell is this boring shit?" It is not good enough in my opinion. In saying that, we didn't play well today at all. In fact, that;s probably our worst performance of the year.

In attack, we just couldn't seem to gain any momentum what so ever and I believe that is mostly because the Dogs were allowed to get away with murder which destroyed chances for a quick play-the-ball and thus, killed the momentum. We just couldn't seem to get any kind of roll on. Then, when we did get into a good attacking position, it was all over the shop. There was simply no direction out there. The boys played slow and went sideways way too much because the attack just didn't appear direct enough for mine, it was just side to side footy. We were very impatient too and looked like we were trying to score off most plays. Instead of just settling down and building pressure, we'd throw it around willy nilly or just jump around on the spot with no real direction or purpose. It was simply not good enough and with all due respect, we made the Dogs look like a great defensive team this afternoon. Yes, we scored two lovely tries but I am still left frustrated by the attack.

Defence was better though I thought. Yes, the Dogs didn't throw a lot at us to be honest but we defended pretty well. The line speed was better, the tackle efficiency was high and our missed tackles were down which was good. I was also more impressed with the resiliance we showed on the line as we were able to turn them away a number of times which was good. There was the one very soft try conceded though which was disappointing. I feel like that was a game where we didn't do much defending at all so I feel like it should have been a big win but the reffing and our attack was just that average.

Johnston: AJ was pretty good this arvo. I thought he returned the ball well, was very safe at the back with good positional play all game and was pretty heavily involved in attack. However, he did just look a little lost at times while on the offensive. Scored a beauty of a try though, that run through to chase the kick was timed to perfection!

Allan: Corey wasn't bad today. One thing I will say is that he needs to get more involved with taking hit ups when we are coming out of trouble because he is a good runner of the ball but he just doesn't do enough for mine. We did see a glimpse of what he can do and his freakish ability though when he made that lovely run to break through the Bulldogs defence and almost score a length of the field try. Sadly, he wasn't quick enough but he certainly showed glimpses. Very solid in defence too, dragging guys back into the in-goal, over the sideline, and making good choices in attack.

Turner: Not really that much to report for Kyle as he was a little quiet but he did do his job. I just want to see him more involved in taking hit ups and stuff like that.

Gagai: A quiet game but not really a bad one to be honest. He was solid as he was probably the most involved in hit ups but I wouldn't say he really made a significant impact on the game. It was just one of those games really. Wasn't bad in defence tonight too which was an improvement.

Graham: Not an awful lot to report for Graham as he kind of just did his job without being outstanding. He was safe under the high ball, made his hit ups and provided a nice finish in the corner for his try.

Reynolds: Not the best of nights for Reyno. His kicking game was pretty good but he looked slow in general play. I don't know whether it is just me seeing that or not but it seems that everytime Reyno gets the ball on a backline sweep, everything seems to slow right down and the attack seems to stall, I don't know, he was just a bit off and seems to have lost that early Season form. He was pretty good defensively though.

Walker: A game of two halves for Cody. He looked decent in the first half, was demanding the ball and asked a lot of questions. However, in the second stanza, he seemed to kind of lose his way and sort of went missing. To be fair, it wasn't really the type of game where he had a lot of opportunities but we need better than that from Cody in the second half.

Tatola: Was pretty good I thought. Strong running, a high involvement in both his stints and really got that leg drive pumping in all his runs. I'm starting to like what I see from Junior a lot.

Cook: Wasn't bad. Didn't get the opportunity to run really because of the fact that the game was so slow but he did bring the forwards onto the ball pretty well. Had that high work rate in defence as always, did some nice kicks and put in that beauty of a grubber for AJ's try, that was lovely.

T.Burgess: Disappointed by Tom today. He didn't make any errors but didn't really make an impact with his runs to be honest and it seemed to me like he was kind of going through the motions a little bit. Also made a very poor defensive effort on the one try we conceded. Tom needs to lift I feel as Tatola is outplaying him at the moment.

Sutton: Wasn't bad. Chimed in with those nice little runs of his, solid on defence and he had an involvement that I was satisfied with. Over all, he just did his job.

S.Burgess: Not one of Sam's finest performances to be fair. His running game wasn't bad, neither was the defence (his lateral movement looked better) but Lewis was really able to get under his skin tonight and I feel that Sam kind of lost his cool a bit which led to errors from him because he was under pressure.

Murray: A good, solid performance from Cam as we have come to expect. Strong running and a high work rate. Saw some great ball playing from him this arvo too, paticularly the short ball he threw to put George through at one stage. I just really wish he'd play more minutes as we need him out there in my opinion.

G.Burgess: Started his stint really well with some great runs and at one stage went straight through off a nice ball from Cam. However, his game fizzled out after that and he struggled to make an impact. George needs to lift big time and I feel like I've been saying that since he returned.

Nicholls: Not really much to comment on Mark as he didn't make much of an impact. Still did his job though I guess.

Lowe: Probably his worst game in the mighty Red and Green. Plenty of errors and poor passes just haunted his night and he really didn't do much through the course of the game to be fair.

Knight: Again, struggled to make an impact and robbed Allan of a try by running in and taking out one of their defenders which was frustrating. The bench struggled for impact tonight.

All in all, really not a great game that was ruined by the refs. In saying that, we were very poor. To be honest, I'm a little concerned with the way we're going at the moment and they boys really need a good kick up the backside.

Still, this isn't the time of the year you want to be playing your best footy and winning ugly is a good sign. happy to emerge with the victory in the big Good Friday clash!

Crowe

Juniors
What’s going on with Reynolds?
All this talk about him being a chance to play origin this year is going to his head I think..

callmack1

Staff member
"He had the full confidence in me" - Johnston: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/04/20/he-had-the-full-confidence-in-me-johnston/

"We have so much more to give" - Allan: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/04/20/we-have-so-much-more-to-give---allan/

"We adjusted well enough to get the points" - Lowe: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/04/20/we-adjusted-well-enough-to-get-the-points---lowe/

After watching the replay, I just want to give Cookie some constructive critisism too. I noticed a number of times when attacking the Dogs line, his passes were very delayed and the service probably wasn't the best. This allowed the Dogs to get right up in our face and often shut the play down as the ball got to the first reciever. This is what happened to Reyno a lot I noticed upon watching it a second time, he'd get a delayed pass and then the defence would be right on top of him. This is probably what contributed to the clunky attack and Cook needs to be better in that aspect. It's the first time I'e noticed it this year so hopefully it was just an off game from him.

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

Souths captain Sam Burgess believes refereeing is best it's been in years

South Sydney captain Sam Burgess says the standard of NRL refereeing is the best it's been for "three or four seasons" despite coach Wayne Bennett's claim that fewer ruck penalties are afflicting the game.

After the Rabbitohs beat the Bulldogs 14-6 in a dour Good Friday affair, Bennett urged officials to judge what they see rather than letting minor infringements go unpunished in a bid to encourage enterprising footy.

Souths were held scoreless in the second half as Canterbury slowed down the play-the-ball considerably, with referees Henry Perenara and Tim Roby hesitant to intervene.

"Today I thought was the worst I've seen that situation," Bennett said.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has told referees to allow play to continue more often so the ball is kept alive for longer.

Compared to this time last season, 33 per cent less penalties have been awarded while the average tries per match has slightly increased.

By the same token, players are willing to test the limits in the ruck knowing they're unlikely to be called out on it.

Burgess, who remonstrated with the whistleblowers multiple times against the Dogs, admitted tactics to draw out the play-the-ball are annoying for offensive teams but praised the officiating as a whole.

"I thought the ruck was quite strange in the game on the weekend. Obviously we felt we were quite dominant at times but we didn't get the rewards on the penalties," Burgess told Triple M Saturday Footy.

"But having said that, I like the way the refs have been reffing this year ... because if you dissect every tackle you can almost blow a penalty every time.

"I like what they're doing but I think sometimes common sense can prevail.

"It didn't cost us the result and the Bulldogs, fair play to them, they've obviously been trying to slow the play-the-ball down and it worked.

"Frustrating a little bit but we got the game on our defence."

Burgess noted the performance of the referees has rarely rated a mention in the first month-and-a-half of the season amongst the on-field action.

That, he believes, is proof that easing up on nit-picking penalties is making for a better product.

"To be honest, the refs - this is probably the first time we've been speaking about them in the first six rounds," Burgess said.

"I think they're doing a fantastic job, I like that they're not blowing penalties where they probably could a few times.

"Just let the game flow. The ball's in play probably more than its ever been, we've seen more points scored.

"I'm liking what they're doing but every now and then when you're on the receiving end it's frustrating.

"They've got a tough job but I feel in the past three or four seasons, this is the best start to a year we've had in terms of refereeing on the pitch."

Burgess engaged in a running duel with Canterbury halfback Lachlan Lewis, at one point lashing out as his smaller opponent clung onto his legs after the tackle was completed.

The Rabbitohs back-rower charged at Lewis in the defensive line at every opportunity but the 22-year-old held firm.

And Burgess joked he couldn't get the tenacious No.7 out of his mind after the 80 minutes was up.

"I had dreams about him actually," he laughed. "He's quite a good-looking fella as well, so it wasn't too bad."

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Burgess declares Cody Walker deserves NSW gig

Sam Burgess has declared that teammate Cody Walker deserves to represent New South Wales in this year’s State of Origin series.

The Souths five-eighth has enjoyed an impressive start to 2019 with his side sitting on top of the ladder, highlighted by a four-try haul against the Warriors last week.

And Burgess has likened Walker’s Origin pursuit to Damien Cook’s in 2018, who was an outside chance of receiving the call up before starring in the series.

“With Cody, I think we’re all seeing the same thing,” Burgess told The Sun-Herald.

“He’s a special player. ‘Freddy’ [Brad Fittler] understands what he is doing, and he will make a good decision for NSW.
“I will always support Cody, I’m with him every day and I know what he does and what he brings.

“Cody in any team will be good. He’s taken on more responsibility, he’s really stepped up in terms of leadership, naturally he’s a great communicator, he competes well, and they are all the attributes of a good player.”

Burgess lamented the Rabbitohs loss of Greg Inglis but said it was his time to step up as sole captain.

“I knew. We had a couple of chats, but basically all we did was be there for Greg as a friend,” Burgess said.

“We weren’t even there as a sounding board because he was the one who had to make the decision. It was a huge decision.

“I think Greg and his family and the club and the players have all handled it well.

“Of course we will miss him. He’s Greg Inglis. But Kyle Turner has done a good job, we also have Adam Doueihi and Braidon Burns to come back.

“We’ll miss Greg but we can’t hang on to it, it’s happened, we can’t dwell. It’s the NRL. It’s relentless.

“Life without Greg has begun. He’ll still have a presence around the place in some capacity.”