What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6: Cowboys vs Knights

elyod138

Bench
That first half wasn't fun to watch, no commitment shown in defense at all.

We had the team to win that game. If they put in any sort of effort in the first half they probably would have won.

Talanexor

Juniors
Watts to five-eighth. Graham to work on his goalkicking so we can drop John Williams. Ty Williams needs to learn how to run. He could chase down Brett Morris, but could he beat Rogers? Noooo...

Kaufusi, Manuokafoa never to play first grade for the Cowboys again. Webb has picked up his game since the start of the season - at least he's running with some purpose now - but he's still not good enough for anything other than a bench role, and I wouldn't even give him that if we had any other decent players around.

Amos to start at hooker. If he needs a rest move Watts there, or play an extra forward and no hooker.

We need to fix this right side defence, Tupou hasn't fixed a single thing and neither has Ty Williams.

Gallant is a great fullback as long as he doesn't have to tackle. I haven't seen him wrap the ball up all season - all he seems to do is jump on their back, which doesn't do a whole lot to stop them scoring.

mikkolos

Juniors
Watts to five-eighth. Graham to work on his goalkicking so we can drop John Williams. Ty Williams needs to learn how to run. He could chase down Brett Morris, but could he beat Rogers? Noooo...

Kaufusi, Manuokafoa never to play first grade for the Cowboys again. Webb has picked up his game since the start of the season - at least he's running with some purpose now - but he's still not good enough for anything other than a bench role, and I wouldn't even give him that if we had any other decent players around.

Amos to start at hooker. If he needs a rest move Watts there, or play an extra forward and no hooker.

We need to fix this right side defence, Tupou hasn't fixed a single thing and neither has Ty Williams.

Gallant is a great fullback as long as he doesn't have to tackle. I haven't seen him wrap the ball up all season - all he seems to do is jump on their back, which doesn't do a whole lot to stop them scoring.

Are you geniused? Drop John Williams? That is one of the stupidest suggestions i have ever heard. He is clearly one of our most effective players. He gets the ball nowhere near as much as he should. Sure he didn't pass the ball to Rhompson at that critical stage, but hardly reason to drop him. That is just stupid.

Agreed on the dropping of Kaufusi and Manuakafoa however. They are both useless. Bolton, Mason, Scott, Webb and Tamou played outstanding and the more we have all of them on the field at the ame time the better. Add Rapira and O'Donnell and we should always have great pack on the field at the same time.

Also, I liked Amos at hooker, not as much as Watts, but still was greta value. On the other hand Watts failed in the halves, so Watts has to start next game with Amos on the bech in my opinion.

Also, i have to say criticism of Gallant is unwarranted from what i saw. Did nothing wrong.

elyod138

Bench
I think Amos needs to start, he gets the forwards rolling much more effectively and is more like Payne in the way he plays. Watts can do his usual impact job off the bench.

I thought Graham was actually OK at 5/8th, I would have him or Rovelli there next week (hopefully Bowen is a chance, but probably not and we shouldn't risk him). Neither of them can defend but I don't really see any other options. Going by today's under 20's match, Michael Morgan is still a fair way off being ready IMO.

Kaufusi needs to play QLD cup until he hardens up and realises he has to hit it up more regularly than once every 10 minutes he is on the field. Manuakafoa needs to play QLD Cup until he learns how to catch a ball and harden up.

I'd like to see both of the Ah Mau brothers play off the bench. Isaak is mostly just a plodder but he won't shy away from taking hitups.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
We had about 3 bombed tries in the second half - if any of those had stuck, I'd be gloating in the Knights forum right about now.

About a 12 point loss?

I'd love to play the Knights without Gidley, Mullen, De Gois and Patterson. My god that would be a slaughter.

Well you just played us without Taia, Hilder, Simpson, Wicks, Houston, MacDougall, Naiqama, McManus and Dureau and lost so I'm sure you would love to play us with a few more out.

About a 12 point loss?

Well you just played us without Taia, Hilder, Simpson, Wicks, Houston, MacDougall, Naiqama, McManus and Dureau and lost so I'm sure you would love to play us with a few more out.

Apart from Houston, it would hve been a Bonus for NQ if they were in the Knights line-up.:p

Talanexor

Juniors
Are you geniused? Drop John Williams? That is one of the stupidest suggestions i have ever heard. He is clearly one of our most effective players. He gets the ball nowhere near as much as he should. Sure he didn't pass the ball to Rhompson at that critical stage, but hardly reason to drop him. That is just stupid.

Agreed on the dropping of Kaufusi and Manuakafoa however. They are both useless. Bolton, Mason, Scott, Webb and Tamou played outstanding and the more we have all of them on the field at the ame time the better. Add Rapira and O'Donnell and we should always have great pack on the field at the same time.

Also, I liked Amos at hooker, not as much as Watts, but still was greta value. On the other hand Watts failed in the halves, so Watts has to start next game with Amos on the bech in my opinion.

Also, i have to say criticism of Gallant is unwarranted from what i saw. Did nothing wrong.

I have been one of John Williams' biggest defenders this season - seriously, have a look through some of the older topics. Fact is, he is making crucial errors every game. I don't think Henry will drop him, but if he wasn't a goalkicker then things would be very different.

Webb has improved his handling and is actually running hard at the line now, but he made multiple bad reads in defence which led to soft tries in the first half.

Amos and Watts bring different things to the side. Amos is more like Payne, great at getting the forwards rolling, quick play-the-balls and generally getting us down the field. Watts is zippier, has a great long kicking game, and plays more like a Farah hooker/halfback hybrid role. We need both on the field at once IMO.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix our right edge defence? We now have 3 totally different players to those on the right side in round 1, and we're still getting cut to ribbons on that side. Is it that the players are making bad reads? Or is there a coaching problem?

elyod138

Bench
It's all about attitude, the left side defence looked terrible last night in the first half too.

They aren't trusting each other.

Talanexor

Juniors
I'd be happy if Henry spent all of Monday running plays against the right edge and making the defenders communicate and adjust. I'd like to see every player in the u20s, the Cutters, the Pride and the local Townsville comp attacking our right side on Monday.

On Tuesday, I'd do exactly the same thing on our left edge.

The side that lets in the most tries gets some "extra attention" from BJ, and the player who makes the worst reads gets dropped altogether.

macnaz

Staff member
I think Watts played great , but still does some stupid things as well, thought your halfback also tried his arse of and well improve each week. Hmmm not sure what u guys do, as someone said above its mainly attitude for the whole 80 minutes