What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Tigers Discussion + Voting

diddi kong

Juniors
Still frustrated that our attack in the oppositions 20 seems disjointed and unorganised,
we needed to resort to a kick into the corner to score after we received 1000's of repeated sets and were camped down their end forever ....watching the Tigers put on a simple backline movement to score in the dying stages had me scratching my head wondering why we couldn't do that

How can you say that and then give Wallace 3 points? He is responsible for organising and playmaking.......

3. Hodges
2. Mcguire
1. Norman

Except for that drop, Copley played well.. still didn't quite make up for it though.

AuDragon

Juniors
3- Wallace (by far the best on the paddock)
2- McGuire (Ate up the meters and tackled at will)
1- Reed (mainly because of the 2 tries)

Honorable mentions to Hodgo, Thaiday, Hoffman, Glenn and Norman.

Diddi, your persecution of Wallace is bordering the pathetic. Even the most stauch of his detractors came around to the fact he has been improving continuously this season, and is one of the form halfbacks in the comp!

Wallace controlled the game very well today, making sure the Broncos were always playing on the front foot. The polish will come with time, as good attack sequences require perfect timing, and the players to perform their part as well as the halfback.

I guess you'd prefer to see Benji tricks, even if those cost us tries and games...

AceAv

Juniors
Oh god, he sux. So he ran hard on a few runs. His defense was ordinary and he just watched that offload go the tigz way on their 1st try. not to mention the un mentionable. He needs to go back to qld cup and drill those issues out. The gillo bombed try shoulda been a penalty, he was held off majorly and broke free only to overrun the catch as a result.

Nice to hear Warren commentate us, makes it feel like an important game. I was pleased with the way Bronx kept it simple and completed well, built pressure and didn't overplay until they earned it. The last tigz try came as a result of risky play from us. Glad to get home once more. I'll do my 321 later zzzz

qld aussie

Juniors
3. Hodges
2. Wallace
1. Norman

Should have won by 20+ but happy with the win. West's defense was outstanding considering how much ball we had. Can we please try a attacking play on last tackle and not kick the f........n thing for something to do. Hunt as a replacement is a waste of time adds nothing to the game at this stage. Gillett needs to pick his target better after being flattened 2 weeks in a row. Copley redeemed himself with late try but doesn't look comfortable on the wing. Maybe time for Gagai to get a run ????? 5 from 6 great start to the season. GO BRONCO'S.

austyphoon

Juniors
3. Reed
2. Hodges
1. Hoffman

I don't know guys, I was not impressed at all last night.

I have not seen a side play a half of football as bad as the Tigers did last night, seriously. They tried hard to give us the win but we were just as bad and as soon as we got down on their tryline we looked like an U13's side. The Bronco's didn't even look like scoring, there was no direction at all inside the Tiger's 20. Parker seemed to get the ball waaaay too much on their tryline. Very frustrating!

Tigers had no possession in the last 10-15mins but managed to score 2 tries in 3 sets and the few chances they did attack they actually looked dangerous, we didn't. The Tigers had to complete 100 more tackles, and they only lost by 4...

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we took the two points but we have not had any convincing wins. We can't rely on the other team playing that badly in the future.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Not an overly convincing performance from the boys. But hey it was a win and we got the 2 points which is all i really care about.

3) Wallace - Outstanding performance, if he had a bit more of a cutting edge in attack he would just about be the form player in the comp. His kicking was phenomenal last night but it was also aided by Moltzens performance. Continually forcing drop-outs and overall a really good display from him. He seems to be loving playing without Locky as he is able to take a bit more control.

2) Norman - Good performance from the youngster seems to be improving every week, and growing in confidence. His long Kicking game is proving to be quite valuable, and then Wallace takes over closer to the line. He clearly loves to take the line on which i like to see and he appears to be quite strong and quick footed as he makes a few half breaks here and there which is always good to see.

1) The Big Show - Loving the effort he is putting in and must be close to pushing for an origin spot, his raw aggression is really helping him. He just continues to pile up the meters every game and it is really great to see. Hope he can continue in this vain for a while to come and avoid any injuries.

Honorable mentions:

Reed - Took his tries well and defended well even though he didn't have much to do.

Glenn - Wow he is big in person, doesn't really look it on TV but he is so bloody built, strong and fast is a good recipe for a wide running second rower. Puts in good work every game and he is quickly becoming one of the leaders of the team.

Apart from these guys no one else really impressed me that much to be honest, wasn't as polished as i really would have wanted it to be but we got the two points which is the most important thing, I still feel our attack will need to improve if the Broncos are really going to challenge at the end of the year.

AceAv

Juniors
2. Reed - Displayed good positional kick chasing, setup a great potential try. defended solid and was enthusiastic as Hell.

2.Hodges - Made some devastating line breaks and defended godlike! -By far the most talented player we have post lockyer

1. Wallace -wow its like he is reading our criticisms each week. I wanted him to grubber more and run the ball and off he went.

1. He made some great tackles that took some skillfull reads and kicked well + his line breaks!

other mentions are hoffy as usual and the whole fwd pack.

Mr Fourex

Bench
How can you say that and then give Wallace 3 points? He is responsible for organising and playmaking.......

3. Hodges
2. Mcguire
1. Norman

Except for that drop, Copley played well.. still didn't quite make up for it though.

I believe I only gave Peter 2 points diddi........

and your point is not lost in relation to Wallaces lack of playmaking/organising the attack abilities. I do agree with you

That said....Wallace had a good game. His kicking was stronger.....his leadership is getting stronger

his overall game is looking stronger and that's not a comment that I'd throw around lightly. I'm a Wallace critic.

I think I'm starting to realise the lack of options in the attacking raids might not be Wallace's own doing,

there isn't even the resemblance of any set plays........nothing...zip

What's going on at training.......do we actually have, some kind of plan on what sort of attacking movement to run when we are in their 20?

We are finding ourselves there quite often

......we need something else to compliment the standard go to play of kicking it in the air to the corners.

I'm not sure that is Wallace's sole responsibility......

Last edited:

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
What i found really worrying from the tigers fans was how quickly they turned on their own team, people near me were booing Blair and Moltzen everytime they got the ball. They really don't like Blair and were calling for Gibbs and Fifita to come back.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Hardly surprising.......fans of sydney based teams are notoriously fickle and will turn on their own at the drop of a hat

It was only a couple of weeks ago, parramatta fans were passing around petitions to boycott their own home games.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Should have won by 20+ but happy with the win. West's defense was outstanding considering how much ball we had. Can we please try a attacking play on last tackle and not kick the f........n thing for something to do.

Yeah agree with that especially the last tackle option.

3 McGuire
2 Wallace
1 Hoffman

Real scrappy game on both sides of the fence. Game should have been nailed shut by the first 40.
Bombed tries some blood rush to the head passes against a mistake riddled tigers who somehow managed to stay in the match nearly to the death. And another side who if started making their comeback any earlier would have beaten us? I'm not sure what's going on in the broncs ranks but hope we lift against more disciplined and error free opposition.
Mcguire was the standout for me along with Wallace who apart from defence and attack caught some amazingly dodgy passes and safe as houses Hoffman would have to come in 3rd. Reed, Hodges, Norman, Glenn were all strong. We seemed to keep Lottie quiet all night. Think Hodges was covering him?
And great to see we’re back to getting repeat sets with pinning them in their goal mouth. Raiders comin' up - number 5 in a row!!! :)

diddi kong

Juniors
Wallace is reliable and safe, and had a good kicking game last night which was one of the main reasons we ended up winning and there is few things i love seeing more than Wallace diving on a loose ball. But it is pretty obvious that our attack has been floundering all year. Wallace offers very little apart from kicking and you could see it in those repeat sets on their line, each set we just went side to side with no penetration and Wallace sparked nothing! You could tell the players felt it too with the way we kept going to Hodges to spark us. After every game on these threads everyone says ' we dominated and should have won by 20+', but no one seems to put 2 and 2 together.

Wallace contributes to our overall dominance of general possession and territory but doesn't offer much in the point scoring department.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Wallace is reliable and safe, and had a good kicking game last night which was one of the main reasons we ended up winning and there is few things i love seeing more than Wallace diving on a loose ball. But it is pretty obvious that our attack has been floundering all year. Wallace offers very little apart from kicking and you could see it in those repeat sets on their line, each set we just went side to side with no penetration and Wallace sparked nothing! You could tell the players felt it too with the way we kept going to Hodges to spark us. After every game on these threads everyone says ' we dominated and should have won by 20+', but no one seems to put 2 and 2 together.

Wallace contributes to our overall dominance of general possession and territory but doesn't offer much in the point scoring department.

Look......I can't and won't argue with any of that. You're preaching to the choir

but

one must give credit when credit is due if you want to be taken seriously.

You yourself said that Wallace was one of the main reasons we won.

Surely that affords the man some points in the man of the match tally......?

There could be an argument against that

He is kicking goals

and he scored tries against the Eels and St Merge.....

Last edited:

IBA

Juniors
The guy is in idiot with an anti-Wallace agenda. Not worth listening to a word he said.

Just watched the replay (took long enough to get up) and he was excellent on friday night. If you can't see his value in a team like the Broncs, you have no idea about the game.

00digger00

Juniors
Wallace 3 - lead the boys around well. Hope NSW don't pick him
Hannant 2 - another solid performance.
Norman 1 - he is starting to grow into his shoes

user_nat

Coach
3. Wallace
2. McGuire
1. Hodges

Gillett needs to try running straight at some point, 7 runs for 32m is pretty terrible.

Looking at the stats I'm surprised to see Glenn was on for the full 80, didn't really seem to notice him.

Props to Thaiday for not dropping the ball! Also fairly impressed by his defensive work rate this year.

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
Norman is really turning into a good player. Like you guys have said, Wallace is there to steer the ship around and organise things, then Norman's job is for the more creative stuff. He is developing quite a good running game. He's big and strong, has a good fend and some speed too. His long kicking game is becoming better too. Every time he runs the ball he looks good. Once his confidence catches up to how good he can actually be, coach Griffen will be glad he didn't go with Ben Hunt.

CaneToad

Juniors
3. Wallace - even though our attack was a little disjointed he still kept everything organised and kept the Tigers at their own end with some excellent kicking - superb in defence again.
2. Reed - finally kicked off his season and his finishing was perfect. Gotta make every opportunity count and he did.
1. Hodges - gave them hell all night
1. Norman - seems to be bloody good at being in the right place at the right time and nearly broke through to score himself several times late in the game - is it just me or is he made from the Justin Hodges mould. He is built the same and looks the same and as he gets stronger I reckon he will start throwing peaople off him like Hodgo does..

Great to see Parker back - he worked hard and his goal kicking is welcome back too. Whn he's on he's on.
McGuire had impact yet again and he never lets us down and I thought that Civo is showing signs of getting back up to speed now he has some games under his belt. Hannant was solid again so overall our front row is doing the business. Macca and Hunt weren't as effective as previous weeks but I think that was down to the sometimes ridiculous holding down in the tackle that was going on that the refs seemed to be oblivious to. Sometimes I think Broncos teams are coached to play too clean but the moment we take a moment too long to get off there goes the whistle...

There was some worrying signs of the attack lacking ideas sometimes (happened a bit early last year too) but I guess we can have an off night after the big start to the season we have had and last week against the Dragons would have been draining just as much emotionally as physically so to get up and beat the Tigers was a good result no matter how rough it was.
If Gillette and Copley had'nt bombed sitters I think the result would have been massively different as I think the Tigers are at that stage where they are ready to implode after their shit start to the season. Farah is an angry little man who needs a smack in the head...

Teo's hit was massive but at the end of the day if you nail someone in the chin you are gonna cop it at the judiciary although I think 3 weeks for a cleanskin is tough. I wonder when they are gonna start taking into account the attacking ball runner dropping their head into the tackle as part of the reason they got hit high - seems like if you are running the ball if you are brave (or stupid) enought to do it you can duck into the tackle and the tackler somehow has to get lower - what are you supposed to do ? tackle on your knees? I remember years ago Civo got in trouble for exactly the same thing on Marting Lang from Penrith simply coz he was too tall and Langy ran straight into his shoulder head first.

I wonder how we will get up mentally fro the Raiders? I Hope the boys don't take them lightly as they are showing signs of beating a few top teams.
All in all I think we all would have taken 5 from 6 before the season began with a very big grin.... I really like the look of them - they are buidling a great football team and one of the things I like is unlike Broncos teams of the past we barely have a big name superstar amongst them. Take out Civo and Hodges and they are mostly kids who have played alot of footy together already and are getting better all the time.