What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Warriors

SAP58

Juniors
FMD
Never, ever, ever did I ever think I’d see the day this grub wore our colours.

Welcome young man, pretty clear what your job is so please do it well and if you do it well I’ll still think you’re a grub at the end of your contract. Hope you retire as my favourite grub ever.
Couldnt have put it better, I wasnt in favour of his signing at all BUT in Hook I believe !

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hopefully we don’t have one eye on Anzac Day. We should throw everything into this one. We have to get our wins when they are available and at home without AFB they are very gettable, so long we don’t treat them as though they are. This is one of the most important games of the season to me. It is our chance to have a rest and let a game slip. Will we take it or keep the fire alive?

Dragon David

First Grade
Hopefully we don’t have one eye on Anzac Day. We should throw everything into this one. We have to get our wins when they are available and at home without AFB they are very gettable, so long we don’t treat them as though they are. This is one of the most important games of the season to me. It is our chance to have a rest and let a game slip. Will we take it or keep the fire alive?
We've got to fire as all good dragons do.

Gareth67

First Grade
FMD

Welcome young man, pretty clear what your job is so please do it well and if you do it well I’ll still think you’re a grub at the end of your contract. Hope you retire as my favourite grub ever.

:relaxed: Your a hard man to please ALSGI , but it’s apparent that you have a soft side .

mickeylane

Bench
This team is different totally up for the game....a very good team will only beat us...no easy wins against this team anymore - the 2021 Dragons team is a total different proposition...

mickeylane

Bench
FMD

Possibly the most astute signing this year...he's a pure animal and will only add to our brilliant pack...

LINESPEED

Juniors
This is statement game territory. A chance to stay ruthless against an understrength Warriors side who were going to struggle to make the 8 anyway.

These are the games you want to win comfortably.

Early symptoms of a return to the muscle memory of Waterboy bellyup days
might be Vaughan’s sluggish linespeed & Norman’s reticence in running to the line
& famous disappearing act.

His problem
(& salvation perhaps thus far)
is that the poor bugger has to suddenly keep up with a forward moving pack

....& can no longer hide in a muddling forward huddle waiting for the opposition to arrive

....as per the pre-Hook days

LINESPEED

Juniors
FMD

I always thought he was an essential ‘mongrel’ signing once he became available.

(And I always bristle when remembering Willie Mason’s comment about our softcock pack)

... especially when you realise Hook is channeling his mentor Bennett’s pack acquisitions at the Dragons in 2009

If JDB is cleared we’ll have the most feared & durable pack in the NRL

LINESPEED

Juniors
renouf_20210416.jpg

PEARLS OF WISDOM

Renouf: No spoon for you - Dragons revival leaves me with egg on my face
Author
Steve Renouf Broncos legend
Timestamp
Thu 15 Apr 2021, 12:56 PM
renoufsteve-head.png

Share on social media
Anthony Griffin deserves credit for what he has done to turn St George Illawarra around this season.

To be totally honest, I didn’t expect it.

At the start of the year when asked who would be my prediction to be the 2021 wooden spooners, I nominated the Dragons.

It goes to show you what a bad judge I am sometimes. You have to hand it to the Dragons, they are playing really well.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play footy and I didn’t think I would ever say that.

Griffin has really turned the club around and they’re playing totally different footy to what we’ve come to expect from them the last couple of years.

He has the players relaxed. You can see with some clubs – like Brisbane for example – there is so much tension in the club and it shows on game day.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Their heads drop faster, they don’t have confidence to play what is in front of them and in the end they just stick rigidly to their structure.

Something that has emerged in the first five weeks of the Telstra Premiership is that the teams who are willing to play a bit of football and play what is in front them rather than stick just to their structure are the ones having success.

Penrith are a great example of that and so too are the Titans.

The players have free rein to just play it as they see it and you can see it in the way they go about their business that the players are embracing that style.

At the Dragons it seems a bonding session over a few beers helped break the ice with the players and got them to relax.

One of the players said they’d never had that before and I thought ‘wow you guys have been missing out.’ It’s good to have a bit of old-school back in rugby league.

Griffin has brought back his own past and reunited his three former Broncos under 20s players in Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Andrew McCullough.

With Josh McGuire joining the Dragons this week, that will be four ex-Broncos at the club.

All of them have had their critics in recent years, but certainly McCullough, Norman and Hunt seem to be playing good footy under Griffin again.

What stands out to me at the Dragons has been their defence. They are just in your face and jamming blokes.

remote.axd

Dragons players react to McGuire signing

Wayne Bennett was always big on defence. All the best coaches are. The last couple of weeks the Dragons just seem to frustrate the opposition out of the game.

To do that last week to the Eels, out there at Parramatta, was a huge statement.

The Dragons were simply relentless and Griffin has got them fired up to just go out and beat teams with their defence.

When Griffin’s time ended at Penrith there were questions about how he would go if given another chance in the NRL.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play, I didn’t think I'd ever say that.

He almost got to a grand final with the Broncos and had the Panthers on the right track when he was sacked in 2018.

Both his former clubs played in grand finals soon after Griffin left so it says something about what he can build at a football club, it just remains to be seen if he can take a team all the way.

The big question now for the Dragons is that we’ve seen them start a season like this many times before. They have been known to start well and then drop away during the season so this will be interesting.

This will be a new test for Griffin. Can he keep them up and firing? That’ll be his big challenge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/15...ragons-revival-leaves-me-with-egg-on-my-face/

Hmmm

“It’s hard to find numbers that back up Renouf’s claim that Griffin botches his use of the interchange and that costs his sides in close matches but the stats can paint a picture of where Griffin coached sides stack up with the NRL’s other 15 coaches in tight games.”

Not the first time Renouf’s got egg on his face apparently

Hook would’ve won a grandfinal at Broncos if not for injury to his playmaker
upload_2021-4-16_9-45-47.jpeg

I do wonder about Hook’s use of No 17 ATM though.

Feagai for Williame for mine - and he’s 10kg heavier & faster
& with more potential to close out a match

.... and he doesn’t need to rely on others to set him up

Time might be nearing for some resting and/or transitioning of players?

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-16_9-31-22.png
    upload_2021-4-16_9-31-22.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Crush

Coach
I think we may be targeted by the refs for ruck infringements.
i fully expect to see us playing with 11 men at some stage on Sunday. Its about this time of the season the refs like to make a statement.
Then come round 20 everyone will be laying in the ruck again and they wont care......

kit66

Bench
I've had a quick squizz at our opposition's form guide and I've gotta say I'm not very impressed. They had a good first up win against the Titans ( who fielded a very different team from last year ) but this Sunday they'll be without AFB, Sironen, Tevita, Aitken and Fusitua who all played well in that Titans game. Their only other win was against a team so affected by injuries on the day that it caused a massive rethink from the NRL and we now have an 18th man. Canberra were 3 starting forwards down from the 15th minute but the Warriors only managed to pull off a win in the dying stages. The first half saw Canberra lay on 4 tries to be up 25 - 6 at the break. The Warriors losses were to Newie, Roosters and Manly. They've only lead once at halftime and that was 6-0 against the Titans.
The most startling Warriors stat is that of their coach Nathan Brown with a Win rate of just 27%. Brownie should study up on some of Raudinikis's slapping videos.

You would think our boys will be really fired up for this for a number of reasons - 1, we're back at Jubilee where we let the scum get one over us on home soil in our only defeat this year and they need to renew their vows so to speak, to the faithful and long suffering home crowd. - 2, The Warriors have won 4 straight against us but are ripe for the picking with a host of players out. - 3. A bloke named Hook has shown them how to win and I think they're getting the hang of it. 4. None of our forwards want to lose their spot to McGrub. 5. We're on a roll woohoo.

Saints 11+
Go you good things !

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
I've had a quick squizz at our opposition's form guide and I've gotta say I'm not very impressed. They had a good first up win against the Titans ( who fielded a very different team from last year ) but this Sunday they'll be without AFB, Sironen, Tevita, Aitken and Fusitua who all played well in that Titans game. Their only other win was against a team so affected by injuries on the day that it caused a massive rethink from the NRL and we now have an 18th man. Canberra were 3 starting forwards down from the 15th minute but the Warriors only managed to pull off a win in the dying stages. The first half saw Canberra lay on 4 tries to be up 25 - 6 at the break. The Warriors losses were to Newie, Roosters and Manly. They've only lead once at halftime and that was 6-0 against the Titans.
The most startling Warriors stat is that of their coach Nathan Brown with a Win rate of just 27%. Brownie should study up on some of Raudinikis's slapping videos.

You would think our boys will be really fired up for this for a number of reasons - 1, we're back at Jubilee where we let the scum get one over us on home soil in our only defeat this year and they need to renew their vows so to speak, to the faithful and long suffering home crowd. - 2, The Warriors have won 4 straight against us but are ripe for the picking with a host of players out. - 3. A bloke named Hook has shown them how to win and I think they're getting the hang of it. 4. None of our forwards want to lose their spot to McGrub. 5. We're on a roll woohoo.

Saints 11+
Go you good things !
Bloody hell Kit!
Pull your head in mate!
If we lose this Sunday i will be blaming this cocky post.

Latest posts