What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 (2007) Rabbitohs v Eels

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Round 7 (2007)
South Sydney Rabbitohs v Parramatta Eels

Game Thread:
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Home team allowed one extra reserve player

FULL TIME: Wednesday 8 August 2007 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: antonius

Venue: Redfern Oval
ground_redfern_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

Pistol

Coach
The Rabbitohs take to Redfern oval. The bus pulls in and the players unload their gear.

Pistol (c)
rabs
Master Vippo
Marshall_Magic
roosterboy60

Mr Fahrenheit
Bumble
Big Pete

Vaealikis Girl

Juniors
The Eels take the field:

2. Bubbles
5. MarkInTheStands
6. Natalie's Daddy
7. eloquentEEL
22. Prince Charles

Reserves:
10. bartman
11. Goleel

The Engineers Room

First Grade
**Natalie's Daddy #6 for the Eels**

Winning Isn’t Everything

The purpose of the NRL season and any other sporting competition for that matter is to declare a winner. The definition of the word competition is “a rivalry between two or more persons or groups for an object desired in common, usually resulting in a victor and a loser.” The sole purpose of the rugby league team is to compete for their club and ultimately attempt to win. But is winning the competition everything?

There would be much disagreement amongst rugby league fans over this issue. The view will be dependant on the individuals Fan Type Percentage. This is a scale that has been devised to assess an individual’s disposition. The fan types listed below are the extremes and act to give boundaries:

Topping fans

For some the sole purpose that they watch or support a team is to see them win. Without victory their support wanes and the interest in the game and their team begins to lose its intensity. They are what I like to call “topping fans”, which is to say they only appear when all is sweet. They are the stadium fillers in the good times and the no shows when the times are tough.
Identifier Question: Do you go to as many games when you team is losing?
Answer: No

Terminators

There are some fans that think that winning is of the utmost importance. They will still support their team always but will complain about it after every loss and blame the players, coach or administrators. The whole idea of the NRL for them is to see there team lift the trophy in October and no amount compassion and understanding will be tolerated no matter the situation. These supporters are the “Terminators”, they would do and say anything to get the result their team deserves. You will see this type of fan on rugby league forums starting threads that’s sole purpose is to call for sackings.
Identifier Question: Would you be happy if your club won 1 premiership and folded rather than win no premierships in the next 100 years?
Answer: Yes

Die Hards

Next up are the “Die Hards”. They are always positive, turn up every week and would support Osama Bin Laden, if he were playing in their colours. These are the types of fans that brave the elements, the ones that make up the first 1000 through the gates every week and cheer every play even if their team may be bottom of the table and behind in the game by plenty. They ensure that their kids are supporters and try and convert others to the cause. They would give up anything for the team.
Identifier Question: Do you go to every game?

Stalkers

One step past the Die Hards are the “Stalkers”. It may be one thing to love the club and support the players but the Stalkers follow the players and officials around and try to make friends. They know every little detail about every player right down to the Jersey Flegg halfback’s shoe size. They are the type of supporter that will know the players nicknames and believe that they are part of the club. These supporters are also there when the times are tough like the Die Hards but are unable to make it to the ground at gates open because they are too busy riding on the team bus.
Identifier Question: Do you know the players personally?

Transformers

The last group of supporters are the “Transformers”. They are always fans of the game of rugby league but the team they support are dependant on who is near the top of the table. You may see them drive around with a Panthers bumper sticker, Roosters number plates and Broncos seat covers. They are the great pretenders in the world of rugby league supporters. They may go to games but mostly are the people you meet at a party that claim to be the biggest supporter of the Sea Eagles and then are spotted cheering on the Eels at Parramatta Stadium.
Identifier Question: Have you every supported another team?

It is evident that supporters with a greater tendency towards Topping Fan or Terminator will agree that winning is everything, the Die Hards and Stalkers would disagree, whereas the Transformers wouldn’t care about a losing club. Whatever the opinion, it is evident that winning isn’t always everything and sometimes, for some fans the joy of watching their team is enough.

749 words

References: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/competition

eloquentEEL

First Grade
eloquentEEL for the Eels

The Green Jersey

Most NRL fans recognise a green jersey emblazoned with the letters “RAIDERS” above the mug shot of a furry green man wearing a suitably intimidating helmet. For me however, the green jersey has become a symbol of my team’s chances of lifting the trophy at season’s end; for I have just been enlightened by the most unlikely of sources… a bicycle headlamp.

I’m certainly no cycling fan, but I do understand the general principles of the sport and have recently gained an appreciation of the road race as a metaphor for the NRL season. The tactics in road racing are born from the distance of the race rendering it impossible to pedal full pelt over its entire course. To have a shot at winning the race, it becomes very important to conserve energy, yet still be in a position to have a crack in the inevitable final sprint. Similarly, to be the victor on that first Sunday in October, a team must navigate their way into the finals and hit top speed at just the right moment.

Most cyclists conserve energy by riding in the peloton (the large group that forms in the middle of the field). By positioning themselves carefully and reacting to the riders around them, racers leverage the slipstream of others to maintain the same speed with a lot less effort. Meanwhile, a few riders might attempt an early sprint to break from the pack and attempt a victory from in front; but over the course of the race, they spend a lot more energy and risk burnout.

In the NRL, the wind resistance experienced by cyclists is replaced with a different kind of pressure. Favouritism does not sit well with most sides; the opposition is more motivated than usual when they come against a competition leader; and the media pressure seems to keep building and building with every win. Every season, a few teams jump out of the blocks and go through the first few rounds undefeated with the view to breaking away from the pack, right from the starter’s gun. History shows that most of these teams are unable to maintain the momentum, and when they come back to the pack they don’t even have the energy to keep up with the also-rans, eg. Cronulla.

The NRL peloton seems unusually large this year, but it is definitely serving its purpose. As expected, teams are clearly unable to keep the same intensity throughout the season. There are bursts of activity as they take their turn rising up the power rankings briefly, before folding back into a comfortable position in the pack, doing just enough in jostling for a position in the top half of the competition (within striking distance come the finals). Several teams have left something in the tank for the run home through the finals… for they know that it is not the leader throughout the majority of the race, but the first across the line, who attracts all the accolades. Forget the team that has dominated over the majority of 26 weeks of competition; the minor premiership is just that… a *minor* reward (despite the consistent effort). No, it is the team that musters the greatest brilliance at the right time, who wins the race for the title of Premiers.

In cycling, breakaway leaders can hold a significant lead over the peloton as they approach the finish, but even then they nervously look over their shoulders for someone wearing a green jersey (awarded in some races, to the rider with the best sprinting form). In the NRL, the advantage for competition leaders is even less short-lived than their cycling counterparts as the only benefit is a second chance in the first week of the finals. Recently, it has been the team wearing the green “finals footy is different to the regular season” jersey that has gone on to win the big one, not the minor premiers.

This year however, it looks like Craig Bellamy is trying to rewrite the NRL tactics. His team has opened up a lead while conserving as much energy as possible, winning matches even when they play poorly. It is actually quite scary to think that the Storm has maintained their lead without constantly giving 110% and are being kept even fresher by a rotation policy.

Still, this won’t stop me hoping like hell that the trend continues and that it is my team that will be wearing the green sprinter’s jersey come September!

Mits Aims up with

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It’s a little different.

When Parramatta decided that after ten years, Brian Smith would no longer be the Coach of the Parramatta NRL team, there were a lot of shouts and screams, but a great many people stated that it would be either good or bad for the club. One thing we all agreed on - it would be different.

The differences have supposedly been many. One promotes juniors, the other stifles them. One inspires the club, the other turns players against each other. So on and so forth it continued.

At the time of writing it is about 2 hours before Monday night Football on the 30th of July. Parramatta has just lost a heartbreaker against the Sea Eagles. The 2nd Vs 3rd Battle played to form and the Sea Eagles won what was a thrilling tight fought contest.
Again I move my subject back to the Eels message boards. Like my last piece entitled, “Pain” the Monday Quarterbacks are at it again, but one call echoing from fans and league scribes alike is that Parramatta weren’t ready or willing for Trench warfare, and that this going to be a problem come the semis.

I can agree with the league scribes that we weren’t up for a trench battle, missing two of our regular hard men in Nathan Cayless (due to the untimely death of his Mother), and Josh Cordoba (with a facial injury). But is again my fellow message board participants that I think are more upset, they state to be true contenders we needed to win that game. No ifs or buts - we needed to win, and when 18-8 up we should have gone on with that.

What interests me is that you would not have heard that a few years ago when Brian Smith was the coach - you would hear that Smithy would have the game plan and the players just had to execute on the day to win the premiership. Now there are complete doubts because we didn’t win one game playing with 2 of our 4 regular props?

This seems to show me that the Parramatta fans are truly in unsure times that they have not inhabited for over 10 years. No one knows what will happen and that right now scares the living bejesus out of the Parramatta faithful. You see, the Parramatta faithful normally know what they are going to get. They didn’t always get it but they did get it more often than not, so the fortitude and performance of the Eels side could be counted on.

Now that Hagan is in command, all the known patterns of ten years have gone away, and the regular Parramatta fan is scared pale white - and I have to say I am loving it! I think for the first time in a long time we are going to surprise a few people and that we can win the big games if we have a full complement, and we will have that shortly.

Parramatta will take on the Dogs without our hard men but the Dogs are without theirs. Once again I look for a tight contest with Parramatta getting the Chocolates just, after surviving a second half comeback. Then the Eels take on the Sharks and they should have Cayless and Cordoba back with Wagon pushing again to play lock.

Then Parramatta take on Melbourne in Melbourne, and this will again be a close fought thing, with the Eels having to prove they are good enough to battle with the Storm. They may drop that game but will put in a good showing. Then it is a Monday against the Dragons, which should be a good time to work out all the final combinations before starting our finals campaign a little early against the Broncos.

But all in all Parramatta fans, I can tell you, things are a little different. But just because they are different, doesn’t mean they are bad and that you should write your side off. We haven’t won in the last 20 years, we haven’t won in the last 10 with the familiar, and it is time to try something a little different.

One thing keeps rattling through my head when I think of the next 9 weeks...

Unheard,
Unseen,
We live underneath the Radar.

I got an Idea that come Week 2 or 3 of the finals we will not only be there, but we will be a very very large blip on a small Radar screen.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
747 Words

Prince Charles

Juniors
Prince Charles runs on for the Eels, a tear in his eye and retirement in his thoughts...

My Affair

I have a deep, dark confession to make. You were the only person I felt I could come to with this. It is really hard for me to say this out loud… I’m shaking!

I CHEATED ON MY FOOTBALL TEAM!

Let me explain. I first met my footy team in the winter of 1985. Despite being older than me, the Bulldogs had a certain charm, a certain air about them that had me intrigued. At first I played hard to get. I was already seeing the Balmain Tigers and had previously been involved with the North Sydney Bears. But it was the Bulldogs who continued to enter my mind most often and we eventually made our relationship exclusive.

Our dates, held mostly at a park in Belmore, were becoming more frequent and we soon began doing everything together. My bedroom was adorned with pictures of my team, I had video tapes featuring them – we were even dressing the same!

This relationship continued over many years. As any couple does, we went through good times as well as bad - most notably in 1997 when North Sydney came back on the scene after the Bulldogs and I had a falling out over the direction our relationship had begun to take.

However we worked through it and got things back on track. But now, more than 20 years on, I have done something I never thought I would do. Something that has left me feeling dirty and disgusted with myself.

Over the last few weeks I have been feeling a bit unsettled in my relationship. On the outside everything appeared fine. But even though I couldn’t admit it, even to myself, I was not content with how things were going. It all came to a head last weekend.

This year, I had begun a friendship with the St George Illawarra Dragons. We had bumped into each other occasionally and on each meeting we both seemed to have a great time. I had agreed to catch up with the Dragons again soon and we locked in a date – Friday, August 3rd.

I had no plans of telling the Bulldogs about this upcoming meeting and I didn’t think it would even come up. That was until I realised that they were also playing on the 3rd of August. I knew I would be noticeable through my absence so I started proactive damage control.

“A work function… for work… where, um, someone is celebrating a birthday… and… um… it’s raising money for charity… and... yeah. So I, ah, won’t be able to make it on Friday” was all I could say.

Oh my god! I was lying already. I didn’t even know why I was lying. Why not just say I was going out with a friend. It was just going to be a friendly date, wasn’t it?

A few days later and Friday dawned. Throughout the day I was nervous and a bit anxious. Soon enough, I found myself at a park in Newcastle watching my “friend” play. Throughout the first half, my friend was doing well. Two exciting tries had gotten me a bit hot under the collar… or maybe that had more to do with the red and white scarf I was now wearing. Either way, although I was trying not to admit it, I was enjoying myself.

The second half started badly and continued on without much excitement until there was ten minutes left in the match and the Dragons scored again. I leapt from my seat, jumping with glee before realising what I had done and sheepishly dropped back into my seat and obscurity. Then just minutes later they were in again and this time I couldn’t hold myself back. I soared high above my seat, waved my scarf in the air and screamed “Go the Dragons!” I couldn’t stop myself. I screamed it out again but louder… I even taunted opposition fans and began to sing…. “Oh when the saints, go marching in… oh when the saints go marching in…..”

As I said before, I feel just awful. I never meant for it to go that far and I certainly never wanted to hurt my beloved Bulldogs. So what do I do now? Do I tell them what happened? I don’t think I can live with this secret and to make things worse, I am not sure if I can categorically state that I will never do it again.

Is it possible to love two teams?

750 words between the lines.

Bubbles

Juniors
After a long spell, Bubbles takes the field for the Eels

The Six Days of Creation

On the first day God created the heavens and the earth. He said ‘let there be light’ and there was light.

On 10 July of this year, following the Manly smashing of the Roosters by 56 to zip, a stressed Anderson announced his retirement as head coach of the Sydney Roosters, effective immediately. And so the Bondi Messiah stepped forth into the spotlight once more; still looking match fit, Freddy calmly took the reins of the side for which He had previously played and led on-field. He slipped across His shoulders the mantle of pressure and expectations like a familiar and well-worn jacket (with leather elbow patches if you please, this being the Roosters and all!). With His trademark wry smile and laughing eyes, He promised nothing, His mere presence breathing into the disenchanted club a cool blast of hope and optimism that had been all but crushed beneath a string of disappointing on-field performances that had left fans asking the eternal question, ‘Just how long is a piece of F-ing string?’

On the second day God said let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters and let it divide the waters from the waters.

On 14 July the Roosters came up against the Sharks, desperate to keep in touch with the top eight while the Roosters languished in the cellar, caught up in a tussle with the Panthers for the wooden spoon – picture if you will a nerdy Harry Potter look-alike (but without the cool magic), up against the fat kid named Elliot who eats paste, and you’ve got an idea of the kind of pathetic/cringe-worthy struggle I’m talking about.

With the firm, familiar ground of Freddy at the helm and with a new spring in their steps and their heads held high, the Chooks ran the ball, (even holding on to it), splitting apart the Sharks, 23 to 12. And the fans rejoiced…

On the third day God said let the dry land appear and let the earth bring forth grass…

On 19 July Roosters faced the decimated Knights at Energy Stadium and, facing adversity, charged ahead with their new-found confidence and resilience to snatch victory. All of a sudden there was talk, albeit in hushed whispers, of finals’ chances, where once conversation had revolved around that ill-desired wooden utensil. And the fans rejoiced…

On the fourth day God made two great lights…He made the stars also.

On 27 July a bona fide miracle was witnessed. A hungry Roosters side took to the field against the high-flying, ‘allegedly’ unbeatable Storm team. Water was turned into wine, oceans were split, the impaired were made whole again as the Roosters came away with an unexpected 26 to 16 victory. Guys like Ashley Harrison and Joel Monaghan who had leisurely sucked in the Easterly breeze for a few years, decided to play football and earn their high salaries. Green players who had shown signs of talent in the past, were lifted by the confidence invested in them by Freddy; and upon His faith, the youngsters soared. And the fans went nuts…

On the fifth day God created great whales…and every winged fowl

On 5 August there ensued an almighty battle of the flightless birds as the Chooks took on the Kiwis. A youngster by the name of Lopini Paea, a great lump of a lad, along with his fellow forwards, muscled up against the intimidating Kiwi pack and with both teams exhibiting a ‘never say die’ attitude, the game went into extra time, the final result a fitting draw. All the while the Messiah remained calm and controlled, taking time out of His busy coaching role mid-game to munch down on what appeared to be a sandwich, lowering it only when the cameras were aimed at Him. This was a refreshing vision to fans used to seeing Anderson wringing his hands together, perhaps to stop the tremor/numbness in his left arm – I mean, no offence, but the Australian team gave this guy a heart attack; the Roosters were never going to be conducive to his health!

On the sixth day God made the beast of the earth and God said let us make man in our image.

Who knows what the remaining few games will bring; but with God on our side, even if not this year, then 2008 is looking good for the Chooks…

And God saw everything he had made, and, behold, it was very good. GO ROOSTERS!!!

Word Count: 749

Marshall Magic looks to stop the onslaught from the Eels and winds up

NRL BULLDOZERS
Many fans of the greatest game of them all are into the flamboyant players who pull off the big steps and freaky flick passes. But for many others the best players in the NRL to watch are the Bulldozers. These players are the players than make you soil yourself when they are running at you, and you don’t want to tackle. Many fans see these guys as the most exciting in the NRL and think there is nothing better than these guys winding up and flattening 7 players on their way to the tryline. This article will have a look at some of the best steamrollers in the NRL.

Fui Fui Moi Moi: This guy has one of the best names in the NRL, but he is also one of the strongest ball runners in the game. When this guy gets the ball you get the feeling that he will send the frontline defenders everywhere like bowling pins and break the line. While the hard running psychopathic prop is a dying breed in today’s game, this guy is a classic example of one.

Ruben Wiki: Ruben started his career as a barnstorming outside back, and 15 years later he finds himself playing prop/2nd row. One thing is for sure for 15 years he has been giving players brown undies when he runs at them. For this reason he has become the most capped International in the game, ever. He is playing a huge part in the Warriors charge to the grand final, and is also idolised my many young kiwis who are starting to come through the ranks.

Manu Vatuvei: The modern day winger tends to be a big fella who is scary when running and full blast. Manu is a text book example of this, and to his credit has scored many great long range tries leaving paths of destruction in his path. Having gotten over some previous handling problems Manu is now one of the most destructive wingers in the NRL.

Frank Pritchard: NOTHING spells danger like a mobile kiwi backrower, which is exactly what Frank is. Halves and centres have painful days when this lump of a lad charging at them at a hundred miles an hour. Scores a million tries for back rowers and sets up just as many for his outside men with his offload. One of the brightest young stars to come out of Penrith in the past 5 years, and has been their best in a poor season.

Mark O’Meley: They don’t call this guy Ogre for nothing. On his day he just winds up and belts the ball forward, flattening all in his path. He isn’t the biggest in size, but he one of the scariest. All you have to do is look at his run in 2006 round 2 at Bryce Gibbs to see this bloke is one of the games hardest runners.

Carl Webb: Charlie is a one man wrecking crew. While he doesn’t play too many minutes each spell, you know when he is out there because he’ll bend the defensive line every time he touches the ball. Scores many great tries for a big bloke and can bust the line if the defender doesn’t muscle up and hit him.

Anthony Watmough: Another dangerous wide running backrower, who can break the line with brute strength and continues through with some amazing pace for such a big lad. Was on fire through 2005 when Manly were dominant in the first half of the season, before injury struck him down, but is bettering that form in season 2007. Scored a hat-trick on the weekend, which is well deserved and reflects his efforts in every game.

Taniela Tuiaki: Taniela the Tank is one of the most destructive ball runners in the NRL, and is an absolute monster out on the wing for the Tigers. If their was a prize for the most unusual position combinations a player can play, ‘TNT’ takes the cake as he can play on the wing or at prop. Voted in the 2007 NRL players’ poll as the hardest to tackle. Scored one of the best individual tries of the season on the weekend against the Gold Coast, and will score many more.

Sure these big lads do no get the wraps of the fancy players, but that doesn’t make them any less valuable. Everybody loves a monster and everybody hates playing against them.

738 words

Master Vippo

Juniors
Master Vippo jumps in for souths to provide some sort of help (or hinderance) to Marshall Magic

The infarct of being infamous

Say your prayers and let the good time roll
It’s the wrongs that make the words come to life

It seems to me, that many of the players, who are remembered these days, are remembered more so because of the bad, stupid, anti-social or in some way negative things that they do or say. It seems sometimes that I can get almost a whole back end of the paper all filled with sports related drama. Chris Walker and Sonny Bill Williams are two players who have recently made headlines. Both players, especially Sonny Bill (who apparently needs two names-maybe it’s a stage name like Elton John?) are great footballers, but both seem to be more interested in getting drunk and having bathroom sex with iron-women. He may have some excuse for what happened that night, but the fact remains, that as much potential as he has shown, Sonny Bill Williams (or Sonny Billiams as my friend Laurie Daley called him on your friendly Fox network) will be remembered by me-up to this point-as an injury prone player, and a guy who gets into trouble. It is much the same situation with Chris “Walker’s on” Walker.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to the days when journalists reported on rugby league players because of the way they played rugby league. The entire 2003 season and the start of 2004 are remembered synonymously with the Bulldogs, but unfortunately it has very little to do with their on field performance.

I am also glad that Rugby League players train so hard, and not only because it improves their playing skills. It allows our infamous players to run out of trouble, either from taxi drivers who you refuse to pay, or a policeman who caught you speeding, right Willie? Todd?

One night, yeah one more time
Thanks for the memories, thanks for the memories

As we look back through the game, there are many players remembered for their infamous acts. Danny Williams will be remembered more for that cheap shot on Mark O’Neil, than for whatever he did in whatever position it was that he played. Willie Mason proves again and again that is mouth is much the same as his physique, too big! Mark Geyer will be remembered for his catastrophic origin tactics (not too mention his substandard journalism). John Hopoate will be remembered. That’s all I have to say about that. There’s also drug cheats, married players groping NRL chief’s daughters (hope you enjoyed it Craig), the list goes on.

My favourite (or least favourite) famous (infamous) player is big Gordon Tallis. The man was large, controversial and so very arrogant. Some of his noteworthy performances include sitting out a whole year of a contract with St George, just so he could honour a suspect contract with Brisbane, giving NSW supporters at Telstra Stadium a nice long look at his raised middle finger (including all the accompanying language), not to mention the on-field fights which are too numerous to mention. In fact, Mr Tallis, although he is an NRL board member, is still entertaining us, throwing glasses at pub workers. Great look you’re giving the game there Mr board member.

Looking forward to the future
But my eyesight is going bad

The thing is, that while these players may do stupid things, break the rules of civilised society and insult everybody near them, it is these same players that we love, talk about and who promote our game. They get caught doing the things we sometimes wish that we could get away with. We often allow ourselves to forget how bad there actions were are how uncouth they were remember them, much as we remember Shane Warne, simply and fondly as larrikins.

One night and one more time
Thanks for the memories, even though they weren’t that great

It appears to me, that being famous in Rugby League, or indeed other sports, can be compared to a heart attack. It starts off as a twinge, then slowly develops into an intense pain that involves most of your body, but you’re not sure why. You go to hospital where you are examined; your lifestyle is pulled apart by experts and you leave determined to do better, though the hospital staff knows better, you’ll be back. The infarct almost kills you, but all the drama, cards, flowers and attention you get sure is nice.

One night and one more time
Thanks for the memories, even though they weren’t that great

750 words...apparantly

Reference

Thnks fr th mmrs-Fall Out Boy, Infinity on High (they are responsible for the lyrics in italics)

Pistol

Coach
Pistol (Souths) takes a ball and runs at the line, offloads

M*A*S*H

"Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...”

Words many remember as the theme to the hit movie and TV series based on the hit books by Robert Hornberger. Whilst it was a hugely successful TV series, one could draw inferences to modern day times. Looking upon the current climate in league we certainly can see the references.

“that suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.”

Starring

David Gallop as Colonel Sherman Potter

Gallop plays the role of Commanding Officer in this production. I feel Mr Gallop fits the profile of Sherman Potter better than he would Henry Blake. Potter is more “by the book” and hard nosed whereas Blake is the more jovial, “happy go lucky” commander.

Gallop has had to preside over some of the most controversial issues that the game has had in modern times. The salary cap scandal happened in his first year. Two years later, the Coffs Harbour debacle happened. Each time, he held his nerve and with unwavering calm, showed his leadership qualities.

The Brisbane Club Doctor as Benjamin Franklin Pearce

Although an extremely capable doctor, the results of the war has “Hawkeye” cracking jokes to make it by without losing his top. With a litany of injuries this season, Brisbane’s locker room resembles a MASH post operative ward. Although he was able to get Lockyer back from a sprained ankle after a couple of weeks early in the season, the skipper has since gone under the knife for a knee reconstruction.

But it doesn’t end there. Australian international stars, Brent Tate (season), Karmichael Hunt, Justin Hodges, Tonie Carroll, and more recently, Shaun Berrigan have since found themselves in need of some time with the doctor. Certainly “Hawkeye” needs to be at his best.

Willie Mason as Frank Burns

As per the late Larry Linville’s antagonist character, Willie has held no prisoners in his views on many topics. Mason has also made no secret that he should be in line to command the unit. When Lockyer was on the sidelines earlier in the season, Mason made it clear that he’d step up and be captain. No doubt these statements contributed to a speedy recovery.

And to keep with the character, Mason also puts a lot of noses out of joint. Just ask the young lady who was in tears whilst trying to get an interview with Willie.

“I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...”

Johnathan Thurston as Walter “Radar” O’Reilly

Playing the role of Radar O’Reilly is the Cowboys captain and Queensland and Australian number 7, Johnathan Thurston. Thurston is the perennial “go to” guy. He’s always there when needed and quite often is the most dependable chap running about. When Queensland had their backs to the wall in 2006 in game 3, it was Thurston who turned the game. An incisive run up the middle, a pass to Brent Tate and the Queenslanders were on their way. 10 minutes later, history was made as Queensland won the game and the series.

We can’t forget the Tri Nations last year when in extra time, Australia were struggling. A Thurston break up the middle once again led to a try and Australia came out on top with the title.

He’s a worthy man to play the part of Radar.

Benji Marshall as Maxwell Q. Klinger

Ok, whilst the jury may be out on the elaborate female getups, Marshall has sure shown he’s got the ability with all his scheming runs, jinks and passes that he has what it takes to take on the role of such an artful and conniving con man. His ability to sell a dummy and rake in a sucker sealed the deal.

This certainly is a nice well rounded cast that fills out a great show with some interesting scripts.

And so ends this introduction into the league world of M*A*S*H. I hope you tune in next time to see what exciting show and cast will be displayed for your viewing pleasure.

REFRAIN

“that suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
730 words including title

Lyrics taken from

http://www.lyricsbox.com/mash-suicide-is-painless-kdv9zd1.html

roosterboy60

Juniors
Roosterboy60 takes the offload from Pistol and runs down field...

Top 5 Games.

After attending the Sydney Roosters Vs Warriors match last Sunday Afternoon at the Sydney Football Stadium which has been described by League identities such as Brad Fittler, Bob Fulton and Roy Masters as one of the best League matches they have ever seen it got me thinking about the top five matches that I have witnessed.

As a Roosters fan I’ve experienced many great matches and that one would probably be in the top five. Four other matches stand out in my mind, 2 involving the Roosters and two not but I could pick about twenty of them if I had to. But sadly I only have 750 words so here is my top five:

Five: As I just said that game between the Roosters and the Warriors has to stand out, maybe because it is so recent but because it was such a great match. At the start of the match the Roosters were leading 16-0 but when we were down 30-18 with the season on the line (as it will be for the next month) they showed great spirit to fight back and almost win the game after an unbelievable field goal from Braith Anasta. But as many have said the game did deserve the draw and everyone could see that two very good Footy sides played the game.

Four: Storm Vs Dragons - 1999 Grand Final. Although probably not the best game ever it was the first grand final at Telstra Stadium and everyone will remember how it ended. The whole day was fun, we got to the stadium at about 10am to watch all three grades and a lot of people around us were supporting the Storm. When the Dragons were leading I didn’t think the Storm could really come back but the way the match ended really makes it stand out. I had been to the Newcastle Vs Manly Grand Final two years earlier (and I’ll get to that in a second) and to see a Grand Final won in the last minute again was quite amazing.

Three: Manly Vs Knights - 1997 Grand Final. The ref of this F7’s match will like this one. Whilst I had been to matches before that Grand Final it really is the match that got me into Rugby League. I remember watching the Balmain Vs Roosters Jersey Flegg Grand Final and thought it was pretty good but to see Darren Albert scoring in the last minute was unbelievable. I wasn’t really a supporter of either side, I was only seven but that in terms of excitement would probably rate second but has to be third in this one. A few have asked why I didn’t become a Newcastle fan, and after my next entry I’m glad I didn’t.

Two: Roosters Vs Knights – 2000 Preliminary Final. The ref may want to skip this one. This game in terms of highs that I’ve felt probably would be number one on most occasions, as I could not begin to tell you how good this match felt. When we were down at halftime I think most Roosters fans thought we were down and out but the amazing comeback made every Roosters fan stand and cheer. In some ways it was our Grand Final a week early. I think once Andrew Johns threw that ball into Brad Fittler’s hands the match had turned and wasn’t likely to switch back. I remember all the Newcastle fans that were at the game and I had the pleasure of sitting next to an older Knights fan who was just so happy for me, we had sat next to each other in a few finals games by coincidence. I’ve come close to feeling as high as I did after that comeback but only this one coming up could really top it.

One: Roosters Vs Warriors – 2002 Grand Final. While it wasn’t the most exciting game I’ve been to it was the best memory I have as a Roosters fan so far. When we were down 8-6 in the second half I was starting to get a bit worried but after that forty-twenty by Brad Fittler we put on many tries to run away with the game. The way I felt after that game for about a week was the best moment I have had in Rugby League, I really hope I can experience it again one day, as it was just the best feeling.

rabs

Staff member
rabs for Souths steams on to a roosterboy pass

A dream combination

As an avid rugby league follower for 30 years and having witnessed hundreds of games live and a great many more through the box, I have seen several great “groups” of players assembled at the one club at the one time. My earliest days of following the game coincided with the great Roosters team of 75. This team won the comp in a canter with the names Brass, Fairfax and Beetson on the team sheet. I came to the game too late to witness the South Sydney glory days but I’ll always remember the minor premiership success we had when Davidson, Fenech, Coleman and Roberts were at the club. The best I have seen assembled thus far, and I’d be surprised if this array of talent I reminisce of is surpassed before I blow fulltime is: The Parramatta backline of the early 80’s.

Wow – what an astonishing line-up this was. Apologies for leaving the fullback and one winger out but they could have played almost anyone in those other two positions and still had their amazing success. The squad achieved an inaugural Eels premiership in 1981, followed by more of the same in 1982 & 1983. The forward pack was not brilliant but they were tradesman like and included the veteran cool head of captain Steven Edge and the incomparable workhorse come text book example of what a forward should be Ray Price. To cap off the dream combination super coach Jack Gibson gave the team direction and structure on which to base and nurture their natural ability. It could be said that I am overplaying the importance of the backs and not paying enough homage to the rest, after all it is a team game. Nonetheless I soldier on with my shameful reverence of this amazing array of backline talent.

Winger Eric Grothe:
the youngsters of today need look no further than the offspring of this man to get an idea of how he played the game. Grothe was a brilliant, powerful runner who had a bad run with injuries. Anyone who saw his memorable semi-final try against Canterbury in 1983 will never forget the awesome strength shown on his way to the tryline leaving several defenders in his wake.

Centre Steve Ella: The Zip-Zip man was a try scoring freak and crossed for 92 tries in 156 games, that statistic surprises me as it seemed like he scored every game. Ella possessed a natural slithery action that put him through opposition lines with deceptive ease and had speed to burn. Like Grothe he had more than his fair share of injuries, both men tallying up career games in the 150’s.

Centre Michael Cronin: Hailing from the NSW South Coast, Cronin was a prolific point scorer for Parramatta, NSW and Australia. Cronin picked up 4 premierships and played in 6 Grand Finals all up. Having Cronin in the team was like having a prop in the backline who could also perform all the skills necessary to be a centre. Truly a great player with the ability to score tries and set them up with strength, nous and skill.

Halfback Peter Sterling: I’ll never forget seeing this long haired teenager debut out of position at fullback in a major semi final in 1978. Sterlo achieved everything in league and proved the perfect link between forwards and backs. He didn’t possess any speed but he was quick between the ears.

Five-eighth Brett Kenny: Kenny was a freak with a laconic yet sizzling style. Brett could put a man through the gap with a pass timed to the millisecond or burst through it himself with a blistering turn of speed or dazzling step. Had the misfortune of playing in the same era as Wally Lewis thus limiting his opportunity to represent at five-eighth for Australia where he was often pushed to the centres, this also occurred at origin level far too often. Achieving the amazing feat of scoring a brace of tries in three successive Grand Final wins (1981-1983) he crossed for a total of 110 tries in his 264 games for Parramatta and set up many, many more. Kenny to me was the ultimate rugby league back, the best player I have ever seen. Kenny didn’t have the kicking game to match Lewis – or did he? We’ll never know, as Brett was able to split the defence in so many ways that he rarely kicked the ball!

A dream combination that gave me so many thrills.

750 words

great effort by all, was having heart problems when I realised 5 hours before fulltime we had nobody in yet. :eek:

Best of luck Parra.

bartman

Immortal
Good work by the Rabbits to be one of only two teams to post all their articles during the regular F7 season.

Best of luck to everyone.

antonius

Coach
Eels Scores
Natalie’s Daddy
Winning Isn’t Everything
749 Words
I can think of people I know that fit into all your categories. Clever piece of writing, and so true.
Score 87

eloquentEEL
The Green Jersey
748 Words
A piece on pacing yourself through the rounds, so something is left at finals time.
Score 87

MarkInTheStands
It’s a little different.
747Words
The changes a new coach brings, both to the team and the fans. Good read
Score 85

Prince Charles
My Affair.
750 Words
Clever concept, and a good read.
Score 88

Bubbles
The Six Days of Creation
749 Words
Ah at last the Roosters have something to smile about. A piece on the amazing transformation a change of coach has had at a team.
Score85

Eels Total 432

Souths Scores

Marshall Magic
NRL BULLDOZERS
738 Words
Liked reading this one, I’m with you, I love to watch a bit of destruction combined with brain.
Score 87

rabs
A dream combination
750 Words
A look at the brilliant Eels backline of the early eighties. Brought back a few memories for me.
Score 86

Roosterboy60
Top 5 Games
740 Words
Some good games re-counted in this piece. The Knights lost that 2000 final not because of the intercept, but rather Billy Peden trying to milk a penalty just after halftime, the penalty went the other way, the Roosters scored a try in the following play, and it was all downhill from there. I too wont forget that game.
Score 85

Pistol
M.A.S.H
729 Words
Clever
Score 88

Master Vippo
The infarct of being infamous
750 Words
It’s a pity some of our players will be remembered for their indiscretions rather than on-field performance.
Score 86

Souths Total 432

Result Eels 432 drew with Souths 432 POTM Pistol, Prince Charles.

Pistol

Coach
well done to all and thanks to antonius for the prompt marks

it was a tough contest, one I relished

great work bunnies and a top effort parra

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
good game to watch from the sidelines. Best of luck to parra in future efforts... and Bunnies... were in the Semis :crazy:

Latest posts