What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 crowd average

Ari Gold

Bench
11, 638.....

:clap: :clap: ....not bad considering the NRL was averaging these sort of crowds a few years ago.....

Super league seems to be the best thing thats happened to English RL.

lyon is a saint

Juniors
yeah and it would be alot higher if teams like leigh, huddersfield, salford and wakefiels supporters got off there arse and went to watch a match.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, the 25,004 at Wigan v St Helens and 22,000ish at Bradford v Leeds unfortunately show in that average there's still poor crowds happening at some of the other games.

Good efforts for these big matches, but need to get the rest right before we get carried away thinking the game as a whole is going great guns imo...

The Clan

Juniors
After Warrington & Widnes play tonight the round 8 crowd average will be something like 11,000+.

That will be more venly spread accross the teams.

popman

Juniors
lyon is a saint said:
yeah and it would be alot higher if teams like leigh, huddersfield, salford and wakefiels supporters got off there arse and went to watch a match.

Numbers speak for themselves so I cant disagree with your comments, hopefully now Leigh have 'got of the mark' we'll attract alot more fans. The Club have budgetted for an average of 5000 so we are well short at the moment - not wanting to make excuses we have quadrupled our season tickets from last season but no longer take cash on the gates on matchdays (a big mistake in my opinion) this has now been changed for future home games. I think things will improve.

bartman

Immortal
Congrats on the debut win! But not taking cash sales for tickets on match day - what was that all about? A walk up crowd is one of the best financial assets a club can hope to cultivate...

popman

Juniors
bartman said:
Congrats on the debut win! But not taking cash sales for tickets on match day - what was that all about? A walk up crowd is one of the best financial assets a club can hope to cultivate...

Tell me about it, daftest decision we made since signing Jason Ferris. Fans can now pay on the gate.....at the 'away' end!!!! :roll:
To be fair certain capacity restrictions were forced upon us from the council in certain parts of the ground and the club thought the best way to control this was to make it all ticket.

JK

I was under the impression that Leigh lacked the resources to properly accomodate a walk-up crowd and having all ticket games reduced the load on the office?

Anyway - at least they are making some changes.

Just think - this average is without Castleford, the best drawing team out of the big 5 (Leeds, Saints, Bradford, Wigan, Hull FC). If only they were still in and Salford had been relegated instead...(sorry Reds fans)...or even better - no relegation last season - the average would be even better.

It is a shame Widnes, a team that CAN attract a crowd, look to be the 2nd relegation team this year :(

popman

Juniors
Certain restrictions were placed on the club in conjunction with the Council (Wigan council :roll: ) and the police which meant that only a certain ammount of fans were allowed in the popular parts of the stadium. The club decided the best way to control this and not fall foul of the authourities was to make the home games all ticket. This has now been releaxed slightly, however this has been detremental to our attendances.
Having said that the 2 first home games were played in appalling weather conditions and both games were screened live on Sky. Our 1st game against Huddersfield we had actually sold 6000 tickets yet only 4000 turned up to watch the game due to the poor weather.

Matt M

Juniors
You couldn't buy tickets at the game! That is ridiculous, how can anyone expect a big crowd when you buy tickets at the gate?

popman

Juniors
Matt M said:
You couldn't buy tickets at the game! That is ridiculous, how can anyone expect a big crowd when you buy tickets at the gate?

You have to buy the ticket from the ticket office (available the week prior to the game) then obviously hand it in at the turnstile on matchday - it was the only way of ensuring parts of the ground didn't exceed capacity. Can I re-iterate that this was forced upon the club by the authorities, and that these restriction have now been releaxed in light on lower than expected attendances. Thankfully we are moving into our new purpose built stadium in 2007 which will irradicate this situation.

bartman

Immortal
popman said:
Certain restrictions were placed on the club in conjunction with the Council (Wigan council :roll: ) and the police which meant that only a certain ammount of fans were allowed in the popular parts of the stadium. The club decided the best way to control this and not fall foul of the authourities was to make the home games all ticket. This has now been releaxed slightly, however this has been detremental to our attendances.

Fair enough, that explains why. New stadium should fix all that in a few years. Don't know about anyone else, but I find it hard to get to a club office mid-week for an advance ticket? (When York recently did an all-ticket home game against Cas I still went and got one, but it's extra hassle that can put some potential patrons off).

bartman

Immortal
JK said:
It is a shame Widnes, a team that CAN attract a crowd, look to be the 2nd relegation team this year :(

Come to think of it, maybe Warrington still might give them a run for their money at that end of the table come season's end... they point points on Widnes but have been pretty cold against the higher teams?

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
I think Wire have enough to avoid the drop. I'm pretty confident they'll click into action after their morale boosting win. They're getting props back from injury and the Bridge/Briers pairing has potential and will only get better with time.

Who knows though. The race for the top 6 is too hard to call. And a bad run of form could see teams get into a bit of trouble. The mid-table looks like it's going to be more open than ever before.

popman

Juniors
bartman said:
popman said:

Fair enough, that explains why. New stadium should fix all that in a few years. Don't know about anyone else, but I find it hard to get to a club office mid-week for an advance ticket? (When York recently did an all-ticket home game against Cas I still went and got one, but it's extra hassle that can put some potential patrons off).

Which I think is the crux of our problems.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
popman said:
bartman said:
popman said:

Which I think is the crux of our problems.

Quite a few Cas fans have been affected by the all ticket game (York)s, or games which it is best to get a ticket for (Hunslet). I myself have Wednesdays off so I've been able to get a ticket but most people work during the week.

Doncaster have the right policy, in that you can buy tickets online in advance.

IF (and it's a big IF) Castleford get to the NR final, it will be interesting to see how the club handle the ticketing arrangements. I can state now we would have a lot of Johnny come lately's who would want the chance to see Castleford potentially win their first trophy (even if it is only a mickey mouse style one!) since 1994.

bartman

Immortal
Online tickets are a good answer, if a club can make it work.

With the Cas (potential) grand final allocation, I remember years ago (1986?)at Parrmatta when the club got an allocation (not big enough to meet the demand) the week before the grand final, the club did an evening ballot with season ticketholders entering a draw...

Latest posts