What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Dolphins vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 13th April 7:50pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Very tired after a late night but very happy!!!

Tohs Up!! Rabbitohs Thump Dolphins in Inaugural Meeting: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/13/tohs-up-rabbitohs-thump-dolphins-in-inaugural-meeting/

Press Conference - Round 7: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/14/round-7-post-match-press-conference/

'Best in the game' - Coaches huge praise for Souths superstar after Dolphins demolition: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/053affab03a6ef381eae0ed42f085100

Latrell 'too good' in red-hot fullback battle, Walker 'tortures' Phins - 3 Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/ffc4f040712271873671639f35a8e564

Steenson123

Juniors
We
I get that the first half was frustrating but The never put us away while they had momentum. They almost played the perfect first half and only led due to our errors.

Our defensive efforts in the first half were great given the lack of territory we had. We know we're streaky and as long as we can stay in contests, we'll grab momentum and run with it when opportunities arise.

If we can cut out the unnecessary errors that have plagued us in the opening weeks, we'll be right up there at the end of the season.
We all need to factor in THE SCHEDULE. For those of us who played contact football for years, its a standard thing to look ahead to the upcoming schedule. Who's the next hot, aggressive, tasty opponent? Well here we go again, down Murders Row. Cleary Gang, followed by @ Alf Reynolds then the Witches.
Given this context, the guys probably thought they could coast and still sink Burt's mob. Hey take it easy here... Cleary is next! Play sleep walking. However they required a H/T blast to wake up, rectify things. Play more intense.
I keep saying the Schedule for Rd s 1-10 has been absolutely the toughest I have ever seen. Tell me one harder than this... in ANY code any year!! There is hardly any respite, save the depleted Bulldogs or Burt missing his HB and Kafusi.
The one positive is that after 10 weeks of Murders Row comes a much lighter, more elongated Schedule that contains St George & Balmain Renegades Twice, Canterbury, NQ and a host of other low stress games including GC, Cronulla, Newcastle, Warriors etc. Barring injury its here that we can expect Sir Alex J to attack B. Slater's # 2 position on the all-time scoring list.

Steenson123

Juniors
Yes and its
WELL DONE! Davey MOALE
17 runs 177 m 28 tackles, his best game yet and played minutes, great to see as he and jai arrow turned the match.GREAT to see , well played boys.
Yes and its not before time!!
Reaslitically to have any hope against Cleary and Bellamy guys like Moale, Burgess, Suluka-Fifita, Host and Arrow need to enforce their will, impose themselves physically and beat their opposite. Its the only way, beat them physically one on one. Its how a team gets the V.
The other factor required is to severely LIMIT the apple TURNOVERS. Stop fumbling balls when in their red zone, stop mishandling and misjudgeing high kicks [what a nightmare watching our lads stumble and fumble under spiralling punts!] and get a pressure kicking game when attacking THEIR line. Ilias has put up some nice spirals of his own and some dividends are starting to appear.

truthslayer

Juniors
Yes and its

Yes and its not before time!!
Reaslitically to have any hope against Cleary and Bellamy guys like Moale, Burgess, Suluka-Fifita, Host and Arrow need to enforce their will, impose themselves physically and beat their opposite. Its the only way, beat them physically one on one. Its how a team gets the V.
The other factor required is to severely LIMIT the apple TURNOVERS. Stop fumbling balls when in their red zone, stop mishandling and misjudgeing high kicks [what a nightmare watching our lads stumble and fumble under spiralling punts!] and get a pressure kicking game when attacking THEIR line. Ilias has put up some nice spirals of his own and some dividends are starting to appear.
Moale young and learning ,

callmack1

Staff member
Walker wary of poor starts with tough run ahead for Rabbitohs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/04/14/walker-wary-of-poor-starts-with-tough-run-ahead-for-rabbitohs/

'Utterly bizarre' Bunker call exposes NRL double standard: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/f51efb482afe06cf0fbefc4cb658395f

I don't know about double standard, that's a big call. However, I am a little surprised the try was given. To the letter of the law, it is probably fair, and Stretch did really well to get there but I wouldn't have been happy if we conceded a try in the exact same scenario, we'd all be blowing up. However, we get that much shit go against us, it's nice to have one in our favor for once.

Duo fined, star injured for blockbuster as Souths count cost of brutal Dolphins battle: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...7/news-story/b92c6ffe990cf1959490679a0da53b57

Travitoh

First Grade
WELL DONE! Davey MOALE
17 runs 177 m 28 tackles, his best game yet and played minutes, great to see as he and jai arrow turned the match.GREAT to see , well played boys.

I thought he was really good v Melbourne too. He's coming along nicely. Hopefully the returning middles don't limit his game time this season because he is really growing into a first grade prop.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Certainly, a game of two halves in terms of our attack. We were pretty average in the first half to be fair. I wouldn't say we were poor with the ball as such, just average. Really struggled to make meters because we looked a little flat, the intensity just wasn't quite there. It was all pretty pedestrian stuff, and we didn't look like trying much different than conservative, one-out hit ups. We were getting outplayed by an inferior pack and as a result, the Dolphins were easily able to trap us and we spent almost the whole first stanza in our own half.

We did score a nice try to Campbell Graham but aside from that, didn't get many chances and we messed up the few chances we did have.

However, things couldn't have been more different in the second half! It was like a whole different team turned up. As I said, a classic example of a game of two halves and whatever was said at halftime, certainly worked.

Suddenly, our intensity was back! Everything was being done with purpose and direction. We stopped looking pedestrian and actually started playing some great Footy. It was still a little hairy at the very start of the half but once we started coming over the top of the Dolphins, the boys honestly looked unreal. They looked unstoppable. We were able to get a roll on, easily carting it up the field and the attack got into rhythm. Once again, it just clicked, especially down the left which was great to see. Looked bloody lethal if I'm honest. 30 unanswered points tells the tale of just how good we were in that 40 minutes, bloody great to see.

What was also pleasing out of this game with the ball, was our completion rate. It's been a real problem so far in 2023 but no such issues on Thursday night as we completed at 83%. Of course, still room for improvement, but that's pretty solid.

Defence

Over all, pretty happy with the defensive effort. Obviously, we conceded two pretty poor tries, especially the second which was soft. But aside from that, the Dolphins weren't able to break us, despite having plenty of shots.

In that first half defensively, we absorbed so much pressure. Almost the entire half was played in our section of the field and the Dolphins were really coming at us, they threw a lot our way set after set. Despite this, the boys in Red and Green absorbed all of it. They kept turning up for each other and kept turning them away. It was fantastic resolve. A lot of teams would have been down by plenty at halftime with the way the game was going, but not us. The defence was pretty awesome.

That continued in the second half with a complete shutout. Just awesome!

Player by Player

L. Mitchell: One of the things I really wanted to see in this game, was Latrell back up his Good Friday performance with another good one in Round 7. And I'm happy to report that he certainly delivered. Once again, right from the start he looked pretty hungry. He was pushing up around the ball, coming in, looking for work and taking a few carries, and his kick returns were pretty strong. This continued right through the rest of the game. Then, in good ball attack, it was great to see him heavily involved. Laid on a beautiful try assist for Stretch the first time we went up there. That was great play. He took the pass, took it to the line which meant Aitken couldn't slide, but then double pumped and looked to play long to Milne. This confused Jennings for the Dolphins and meant he had to stay on his wing which created the space for Campbell to stroll through off Latrell. All this in a second, great play. Trell also had a line break assist a couple sets later when he put Taane through with a great pass. Then, throughout very stages of the game, he was involved in some very dangerous shifts. many of these shifts didn't really amount to any points but they looked great. Trell was rewarded with a powerful try of his own in the second half. An awesome show of agility and strength as he eyeballed Katoa, stepped past him and then carried through Stone to crash over. Powerful!!! On top of all this, his goal kicking was pretty on song. Another great game from Trell, he's now in form and needs to carry it through the rest of the Season.

Johnston: Very solid in his return. Some nice kick returns and carries to clock up 100 meters and nothing got past him in defence which was good to see. Didn't get a hell of a lot of chances because to their credit, the Dolphins defence covered him pretty well but he did what he could. Great offload for Walker's try. I know it was pretty lucky but you make your own luck. Great to see the left edge fire and Cody laid on a beautiful try for him, a great reward. Not a bad game AJ.

Tass: Very good in this one was Tassy. Always gets in and does the tough stuff well, this game was no different. Some really good carries. And he looked dangerous in attack. Found himself with a bit of room to move a number of times and asked some questions of the Dolphins defence. He was better in this game at setting AJ up too, delivered some well-timed passes a couple of time, one of which led to Cody's try. But his highlight was no doubt his try. Great ball playing by Cody to get Tassy on the outside of Brenko Lee and Isaiah did the rest. Showed some speed to burn Lee and then a nice little dummy pass which allowed him to sneak past Isaako and slide over. Awesome stuff. Once again, I found myself impressed with his defence too.

Graham: Another great game from our Stretch who just continues to go from strength to strength. He did look a little off defensively early on. Thought he could have pushed harder from marker on the Dolphins first try, this may have meant Taane didn't get isolated, and we could have stopped that. There were a few other times that Stretch looked a little shaky. But to his credit, he recovered, and nothing got past him for the rest of the game. His tough carries were great, as always, and he's turning into a bit of a try-scoring machine!! Two tries to make it five in two weeks! Nice hole running for his first and then showed great desire and skill to take that kick from Lachy for his second.

Milne: A very rough start as he dropped that bomb which led to a try the play after. A really poor start from Taane. I'm not going to blame him though for the actual play where to Dolphins scored for reasons stated above. But in a credit to him, he dusted himself off well and actually had a pretty good game after that. Well and truly lead the running meters in our outside backs with 147 in a testament to his work coming out of our own end. His 'D' was solid the rest of the game too. Well done in the end Taane.

Walker: Yewwwwww!!! What a performance! He was on fire!! Wasn't able to do much in the first half as we were pretty much getting dominated. Although, I was filthy at him for that chip kick after the Milne break as it killed everything. the Dolphins were all offside and we were on the front foot so why not go through the hands and run it? Anyway, Cody more than made up for it in the second half with an absolute masterclass in playmaking. back to his mesmerising best! Had a hand in the slick backline movement for our third try and then didn't give up on the play when the ball pin-balled around. Typical Cody and he scores. Again, we went down there, and he picks up his first try assist with some amazing ball playing. He took the ball right into the line which sucked in two defenders and allowed Tass to get on the outside of Brenko Lee. Very smart. We get down there a couple sets later and it's Cody again who combines with Trell which helps him crash over. His second try assist. The third try assist from Cody came on literally the next set and this was probably the most beautiful try of the game, especially because until this game, the left side attack hasn't really clicked. Again, Cody takes it right to the line and it seems like time just freezes. In a split second, he makes it look like slow motion, waits for the que from Isaako and as soon as Isaako commits in, boom. A peach of a ball is delivered over the top to AJ. Absolutely loved that. As I said, it was a masterclass from Cody. All this along with a very good defensive performance which included a try saver on the Hammer in the first half. Probably the only thing I can criticise him on after that is his kicking game as it was pretty soft and 'lollipoppy' but that's something to work on. Still man of the match for mine!

Ilias: I'll start with what he didn't do so well. His general play kicking game was really poor, I think we can all see that, and it's a big reason why we couldn't get out of our end in the first half. Lachy's kicks were what many call 'lollipops.' They had no real height and no real depth, easy catch for the back three. It wasn't good enough and it's starting to become a real concern for me because there's no variation there and this side of his game isn't developing. But anyways, aside from his general play kicking, I thought he was really good. His ball playing all game was great, executed his role perfectly as he was taking it to the line before delivering a perfect pass to create some space for his outside men. This is evidenced in all of our first, third, fourth, and sixth tries. Lachy played a part in all of those. A small part, yea, but without his work, Cody and Latrell aren't able to have the starring roles they did. Great to see him run a couple of times too, that was a real threat with his right foot step. The highlight of his game was Campbell's second though. What a perfect attacking kick! He was under pressure too but delivered a kick that is as good as it gets and Stretch scores. We need to see more of that from Lachy. On the other side of the ball, once again, his defence was top shelf.

callmack1

Staff member
Sele: Cool to see him start and he played well. Did play less minutes in this one as JD gave more to Davvy but Hame put in a great performance with the time he had on the field. 10 really strong carries on his way to 130 meters. I remember one in particular when he kept charging for something like 15 meters! Didn't put a foot wrong in defence either.

Cook: Not bad at all. I'd describe his game as being solid. His service was a bit slow attacking the line in the first half but I was glad to see he sharpened that up in the second. A couple of good darts from dummy half and I thought he was pretty hard done by to not get a six-again on some of them. And as always, a big defensive game from Cookie as he made 45 tackles.

Burgess: Tommy was great again! Credit to him to be honest. We've all been a bit critical of him in the starting role throughout his career, but I think he's been great there this year, particularly in recent weeks. Still prefer him off the bench when we're at full strength because of his impact but that will come. For now, he's doing a great job starting. Again, the other night, he did everything he possibly could with plenty of barnstorming runs on his way to 124 meters. Got close to scoring on one of his runs in the second half as he took an offload from Lachy. I certainly think he's one of the best props in the game and doesn't get enough credit from people outside Souths.

Koloamatangi: A shame his game was cut short with that injury because he was going well and looking like a real threat. Some big carries in there and there was a couple of times he fully skittled the Dolphins defence as he knocked a defender over and ran straight over them. Hopefully his injury is not too bad.

Host: Impressive! Hosty has just continued to build since his return and he's in great form right now. A really nice game from him again on Thursday night. Nothing super special but he executed his role really well. Took his carries, made a very good 138 meters which we certainly can't complain about, defended really well and he seems to be building that combination with Cody. But I think for me, it was his work as a decoy that I really liked. Being a decoy and getting it right is such an underrated part of a Rugby League game but Hosty did it well.

Murray: Man, just another huge performance from Cam!! He was up there with our best I thought. Just like last week, his ball playing through the middle was outstanding. His carries were immense and there was about three or four times there where he made a little half-break. It's a shame no one was right there on his shoulder for a few of them because he had his arms free to offload. He made 159 meters which was the third most in our pack and a great 34 tackles with none missed. I like seeing him make less tackles at it means others around him are doing their job and Cam is not under as much pressure. Well done skipper! Great game as always.

Cartwright: Not a lot of minutes for Carty but he was okay. A couple of solid runs, happy with his defence, and a nice decoy run when Trell scored. Most importantly, no errors or silly penalties from him!

Suluka-Fifita: Probably not as impactful as last week but I was still happy with his efforts with the ball. Played pretty limited minutes, it was a short stint, but he was good. What wasn't so good was his effort when Marshall-King scored. He was in a position to stop that. He should have stopped it no doubt. But Daniel was lazy and not fully focused, he wasn't even looking at Marshall-King. As a result, we concede a really soft try. Gotta be better there DSF.

Moale: Blown away by this performance from Davvy! He's been a little soft this year and I've been critical of him (maybe unfairly so because he's so young), but the past few weeks he's been building. Well, last night he friggin exploded!!! Easily a career-best game. He was enormous, one of our best forwards. Ran with real aggression and I noticed he was less upright in his carries, this meant he was a bit more planted and able to drive through more. Made a real difference when he came on and did his bit to flip the game on its head. Every run he had, he wasn't folded, he won each collision and got through and found his front. Really impressive. 54 minutes played (surely his longest stint), and he made 177 meters which is just great to see! Well done, Davvy! Proud of ya.

Arrow: Speaking of being proud of someone, I'm equally as proud of Jai in his return game. He showed us exactly why he's probably been our biggest loss this year. Came straight back in and didn't miss a beat at all. he ripped in right from the start and was colossal. Every run he had was direct and impactful and he topped the run meter count for us with 181. That is simply huge!! In defence especially, you can just see how much pressure he takes off Cam too. However, he did play a part in Marshall-King's soft try because he fell for the dummy. But still, you can't argue that he wasn't one of our best. A very welcome return!

Ahhhhh just relived and stoked to get the win the way we did. Dominant in the end. It really wasn't looking likely at halftime, but I have to give credit to the boys and the coaching staff for turning it around and playing the way we know we can.

This game just proves what I've been saying all Season so far. When we turn up with the right attitude and intensity, and we get our game right, we're one of the toughest sides in the comp to stop. But we've been inconsistent in games and still fade in and out. Put it together for 80 minutes and we could do anything, even against Penrith. This game just proves that.

That is the challenge. It's a big challenge and there is a lot to work on but I'm looking forward to the boys chasing that challenge.

Glory, Glory!!

Thumper

Juniors
Sele: Cool to see him start and he played well. Did play less minutes in this one as JD gave more to Davvy but Hame put in a great performance with the time he had on the field. 10 really strong carries on his way to 130 meters. I remember one in particular when he kept charging for something like 15 meters! Didn't put a foot wrong in defence either.

Cook: Not bad at all. I'd describe his game as being solid. His service was a bit slow attacking the line in the first half but I was glad to see he sharpened that up in the second. A couple of good darts from dummy half and I thought he was pretty hard done by to not get a six-again on some of them. And as always, a big defensive game from Cookie as he made 45 tackles.

Burgess: Tommy was great again! Credit to him to be honest. We've all been a bit critical of him in the starting role throughout his career, but I think he's been great there this year, particularly in recent weeks. Still prefer him off the bench when we're at full strength because of his impact but that will come. For now, he's doing a great job starting. Again, the other night, he did everything he possibly could with plenty of barnstorming runs on his way to 124 meters. Got close to scoring on one of his runs in the second half as he took an offload from Lachy. I certainly think he's one of the best props in the game and doesn't get enough credit from people outside Souths.

Koloamatangi: A shame his game was cut short with that injury because he was going well and looking like a real threat. Some big carries in there and there was a couple of times he fully skittled the Dolphins defence as he knocked a defender over and ran straight over them. Hopefully his injury is not too bad.

Host: Impressive! Hosty has just continued to build since his return and he's in great form right now. A really nice game from him again on Thursday night. Nothing super special but he executed his role really well. Took his carries, made a very good 138 meters which we certainly can't complain about, defended really well and he seems to be building that combination with Cody. But I think for me, it was his work as a decoy that I really liked. Being a decoy and getting it right is such an underrated part of a Rugby League game but Hosty did it well.

Murray: Man, just another huge performance from Cam!! He was up there with our best I thought. Just like last week, his ball playing through the middle was outstanding. His carries were immense and there was about three or four times there where he made a little half-break. It's a shame no one was right there on his shoulder for a few of them because he had his arms free to offload. He made 159 meters which was the third most in our pack and a great 34 tackles with none missed. I like seeing him make less tackles at it means others around him are doing their job and Cam is not under as much pressure. Well done skipper! Great game as always.

Cartwright: Not a lot of minutes for Carty but he was okay. A couple of solid runs, happy with his defence, and a nice decoy run when Trell scored. Most importantly, no errors or silly penalties from him!

Suluka-Fifita: Probably not as impactful as last week but I was still happy with his efforts with the ball. Played pretty limited minutes, it was a short stint, but he was good. What wasn't so good was his effort when Marshall-King scored. He was in a position to stop that. He should have stopped it no doubt. But Daniel was lazy and not fully focused, he wasn't even looking at Marshall-King. As a result, we concede a really soft try. Gotta be better there DSF.

Moale: Blown away by this performance from Davvy! He's been a little soft this year and I've been critical of him (maybe unfairly so because he's so young), but the past few weeks he's been building. Well, last night he friggin exploded!!! Easily a career-best game. He was enormous, one of our best forwards. Ran with real aggression and I noticed he was less upright in his carries, this meant he was a bit more planted and able to drive through more. Made a real difference when he came on and did his bit to flip the game on its head. Every run he had, he wasn't folded, he won each collision and got through and found his front. Really impressive. 54 minutes played (surely his longest stint), and he made 177 meters which is just great to see! Well done, Davvy! Proud of ya.

Arrow: Speaking of being proud of someone, I'm equally as proud of Jai in his return game. He showed us exactly why he's probably been our biggest loss this year. Came straight back in and didn't miss a beat at all. he ripped in right from the start and was colossal. Every run he had was direct and impactful and he topped the run meter count for us with 181. That is simply huge!! In defence especially, you can just see how much pressure he takes off Cam too. However, he did play a part in Marshall-King's soft try because he fell for the dummy. But still, you can't argue that he wasn't one of our best. A very welcome return!

Ahhhhh just relived and stoked to get the win the way we did. Dominant in the end. It really wasn't looking likely at halftime, but I have to give credit to the boys and the coaching staff for turning it around and playing the way we know we can.

This game just proves what I've been saying all Season so far. When we turn up with the right attitude and intensity, and we get our game right, we're one of the toughest sides in the comp to stop. But we've been inconsistent in games and still fade in and out. Put it together for 80 minutes and we could do anything, even against Penrith. This game just proves that.

That is the challenge. It's a big challenge and there is a lot to work on but I'm looking forward to the boys chasing that challenge.

Glory, Glory!!
Love the report.
little harsh on Lachy.
first half they were kicking into a decent breeze. Ball was holding up in it. Balls that would normally land on the 10m line were landing on the 20m line.
A lot of people on here criticise him weekly. He’s 30 games into a nrl career. With no real chance to learn his craft in reserve grade due to Covid. He’s learning on the run. Doing a fine job at it too. His defence is amazing. Which is a huge tick for a halfback.
his running game is coming along nicely. And we all know he’s working hard on his kicking and passing game.
He’s miles ahead of where reyno was at the same stage of his career.
I don’t think reyno ran the ball for his first 6 seasons.