What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Dolphins vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 13th April 7:50pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
A significant week in the history of our club and the history of the game this week as Rugby League's oldest club, meets Rugby League's newest club. We take on the new club the Dolphins this week in Round 7 as we look to advance in the competition.

As soon as we knew a new club was coming in and the draw was announced, this was one you circled on the Calander. Playing a new team for the first time. New stories, new challenges, new rivalry, it's exciting! Could this be the dawn of a great new rivalry with a Queensland club? Who knows? But one thing I do know is that it's the start of a fresh new chapter in our 115-year history. Let's make it a good one and get our rivalry with the Dolphins off to the right start.

Before the Season started, you'd probably pencil this game in as a pretty easy win. However, that is certainly no longer the case. I think the Dolphins have really shocked everyone with how well they've gone. Seriously, they've actually looked really good. Winning a fair few games already with some big scalps in there like the Roosters, and they've pushed teams like Brisbane all the way. In fact, they've pretty much been in every game they've played and have been a huge challenge for their opposition. I expect this week to be no different. It's a testament to their entire organisation the position they're in right now after their first six games, it truly is incredible. They may have been hit with injuries recently to some key players, but they still have plenty of strike and are a dangerous outfit. Their biggest strike no doubt comes from Tabuai-Fidow. He's been in electric form for the new franchise so shutting him down, or limiting his impact as much as possible, will be one of the biggest keys in this one. But you still can't sleep on guys like Isaako, Katoa, Marshall-King and the Bromwich brothers. Plenty to watch out for and despite their injuries, we'll have to be good to beat them. I think the main key is once again winning that forward battle with the guys they have out. We saw last week how much more effective we were getting a genuine roll on so that needs to be the aim again.

For our boys, this week is all about proving last week was no fluke, carrying that momentum through, and building on it as we move forward. Things finally clicked last week but we need to go out there in Round 7 and make sure that is not a one-off. We must keep it going, keep that attack zinging. It all starts with completing our sets which is still an issue. You can't not complete your sets against a Wayne Bennett coached side, or they'll make you pay. In saying that, I don't want to see us play that boring, conservative style in order to complete sets because it doesn't necessarily work like that. Look at how much better we looked on Good Friday when we became less tense, released the shackles a bit and played some Footy. That needs to be the game plan again or we're just playing right into the Dolphins hands. Another area that needs improvement this week is our inability to be consistent across the 80 minutes. We still fade in and out of games, so I'd like to see that improved this week.

Another big story that will be pumped up in the media is the Demetriou vs Bennett rivalry. Well, it's not really a rivalry as they're mates but you know what I mean. It's the first time they've come up against each other after working together for so long. It's the first time Wayne has come up against us since he departed too. That makes me a little nervous to be honest. He knows our players inside out and will know ways to nullify them. We must find a way to counter that. Anyway, what a significant moment it would be in JD's career if he could get one over Wayne in the first game. Hopefully!!

So, as I said, a significant week in our history as the new rivalry begins!! I'm really looking forward to it so lessgooooo!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Demetriou's stated goal was to emerge with a 6-4 record from this first 10 Rounds of a very brutal Schedule. To have any chance of that, we MUST sink first Burt AND get some key troops back, such as Arrow.
Arrow's absence has been badly felt. Perhaps we all fail to fully appreciate and acknowledge his efforts and grinding toughness.
We also require greater efforts and aggression from Suluka-Fifita and Moale. Both have been lumbering and plodding through their game time, not really standing out. Both are young and should be improving but to date they have played far too soft. This is going to have to change quickly because both Cleary and Bellamy are again fast looming on the Schedule.
Cleary Snr's tactics against Souths are very simple: dominate in the middle and then allow the pressure and kick game to force errors, which they convert into points. Sweat on errors, turnovers and score off them. This is what they do.
Bellamy's tactics are simply dominate in forward run metres and aggression, then Munster takes over. If Moale and Suluka-Fifita are on the field their efforts need to at least match the packs of both Cleary and Bellamy. And by aggression I mean both need to stand out from hard, bruising runs or offloading a key pass here and there to set a score up. Otherwise its doom v them..... again!!

assess5

Juniors
Demetriou's stated goal was to emerge with a 6-4 record from this first 10 Rounds of a very brutal Schedule. To have any chance of that, we MUST sink first Burt AND get some key troops back, such as Arrow.
Arrow's absence has been badly felt. Perhaps we all fail to fully appreciate and acknowledge his efforts and grinding toughness.
We also require greater efforts and aggression from Suluka-Fifita and Moale. Both have been lumbering and plodding through their game time, not really standing out. Both are young and should be improving but to date they have played far too soft. This is going to have to change quickly because both Cleary and Bellamy are again fast looming on the Schedule.
Cleary Snr's tactics against Souths are very simple: dominate in the middle and then allow the pressure and kick game to force errors, which they convert into points. Sweat on errors, turnovers and score off them. This is what they do.
Bellamy's tactics are simply dominate in forward run metres and aggression, then Munster takes over. If Moale and Suluka-Fifita are on the field their efforts need to at least match the packs of both Cleary and Bellamy. And by aggression I mean both need to stand out from hard, bruising runs or offloading a key pass here and there to set a score up. Otherwise its doom v them..... again!!
Penrith play the perfect game.
They do everything at an hundred miles an hour till they run out of puff towards the end of each half.
Like Souths, who seem to get scored against just before half time, every time.
Watch the Panthers, in defense they are extremely mobile, they get three tacklers there, every time.
This necessarily slows down the' play the ball', allowing the Panther defense to reset, Souths tactic seems to be to play 'one man out' over and over again which never works.
Panthers half and five eight are extremely fast and feed some very fast and enthusiastic centers and wingers.
Right now, Souths are out gunned in the backs, maybe Souths need to win in the forwards?

Bellamy lost a lot when the big three went to the Dolphins, Kaufusi and the Bromwich bros.
They got a great 5/8 and full back but need some rebuilding, as do Souths.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 7 against the Dolphins.

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Chee Kam
15. Suluka-Fifita
16. Moale
17. Sele

Can't see much changing aside from the injury ins and outs.

Obviously, AJ returns which will push Taane to the right wing to replace the injured Izaac Thompson. Would love to give Karapani a debut but I think Milne has done enough to keep his spot.

The other big in, huge actually, is Jai's return. It can't be understated how big of an in that is for us, especially now that Junior is injured again. I think Jai comes straight back into the starting side in the front row. Saw him in some footage today in a red shirt which generally indicates the top 13 and I can't see him starting on the edge as we're still missing a few middles.

The only other change I hope to see is Cheeks replacing Jed, otherwise I think we're pretty set.

Gonna be interesting! Look forward to finding out tomorrow!

Thumper

Juniors
Penrith play the perfect game.
They do everything at an hundred miles an hour till they run out of puff towards the end of each half.
Like Souths, who seem to get scored against just before half time, every time.
Watch the Panthers, in defense they are extremely mobile, they get three tacklers there, every time.
This necessarily slows down the' play the ball', allowing the Panther defense to reset, Souths tactic seems to be to play 'one man out' over and over again which never works.
Panthers half and five eight are extremely fast and feed some very fast and enthusiastic centers and wingers.
Right now, Souths are out gunned in the backs, maybe Souths need to win in the forwards?

Bellamy lost a lot when the big three went to the Dolphins, Kaufusi and the Bromwich bros.
They got a great 5/8 and full back but need some rebuilding, as do Souths.
Rebuilding?
5 prelims in a row. What are they rebuilding?
They need to start the season better. That’s it. The roster is fine.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round Seven against the Dolphins: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...am-list-for-round-seven-against-the-dolphins/

Lesssgooo!! Another team list Tuesday is here.

Line up is pretty much as expected with AJ and Jai returning. Two huge, huge ins, particularly Arrow who has nly played 20 minutes so far this year. Fantastic to have him back. The only real surprise is Izaac being named. Maybe his injury isn't that bad? I know he could still drop out but him being named means he's a chance so it can't be that bad which is good news.

The only change I'd like to see would be Chee Kam in on the bench instead of Cartwright.

But it's a bloody strong team for our inaugural match against the Dolphins! Bring it!!

callmack1

Staff member
Bunnies TV reporting that tomorrow is quite a historic day for the club. They think it might be the last captain's run at Redfern Oval as the club looks to move to the new Heffron center. Can anyone confirm this?

A sad day if so but it also represents one of the most exciting new journeys in club history.

truthslayer

Juniors
Rabbitohs Team List for Round Seven against the Dolphins: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...am-list-for-round-seven-against-the-dolphins/

Lesssgooo!! Another team list Tuesday is here.

Line up is pretty much as expected with AJ and Jai returning. Two huge, huge ins, particularly Arrow who has nly played 20 minutes so far this year. Fantastic to have him back. The only real surprise is Izaac being named. Maybe his injury isn't that bad? I know he could still drop out but him being named means he's a chance so it can't be that bad which is good news.

The only change I'd like to see would be Chee Kam in on the bench instead of Cartwright.

But it's a bloody strong team for our inaugural match against the Dolphins! Bring it!!
Not a chee kam fam lacks the special ability to break the line, Cartwright always comes up with an error but i do believe he’s got the edge on chee kam

callmack1

Staff member
Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
So long, old girl - Rabbitohs train at Redfern for last time: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/so...at-redfern-for-last-time-20230412-p5czuf.html

Looks like it was one hell of a special day out there at Redfern to farewell the ground. The open captain's run was packed and it looked like there was a real buzz around. Wish I could have been there and I hope it gives the boys a real lift for tomorrow night.

19-Man Squad for Round Seven: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/12/19-man-squad-for-round-seven/

Confirmation that Izaac is out tomorrow night. Bit of a blow but I'm sure Taane will do a job.

callmack1

Staff member
Wake up Souths fans! Rise and shine for a significant game day in our history. That's right, a new rivalry is potentially born tonight as we take on the Dolphins for the first time ever. A must win game, big crowd, big atmosphere, playing a new club, on a Thursday night. How good, what a day it's going to be.

It's the first time we come up against Wayne since he left Souths so that adds a bit of spice to it.

Anyone that thinks this is going to be an easy win tonight, think again. The Dolphins are far from pushovers. They've had an incredible start to the year, currently sitting inside the top four and they've only lost two games. I don't think anyone expected them to go this well but here they are. They'll be looking to keep it going and make a huge statement tonight. Wayne will have something planned so we need to be ready for that. They've got strike everywhere but the main threats come from the backline, I think. None bigger than the Hammer. He's been in blistering form, so we'll need to be sharp on him. Isaako out there on our left is also a big threat. But really, we can't sleep on anyone in their side. They'll really want to ambush us tonight so I'm expecting a tough game.

For us, I feel like I've said this every week, but we just have to get our game right. Wayne and the Dolphins can throw what they like at us but if Souths are on and playing their best Footy or close to it, we are very hard to beat. The problem is, we haven't been able to do that consistently of late. We've been patchy, in and out of games. I want that to change in Round 7. Keep that defence at the level it has been all Season and build on last week with our attack. The right clicked last week so hopefully we can continue that and have the left click in this one. Number one focus though is completing our sets. Do not beat yourselves because the Dolphins are good enough to make you pay!

So what a clash on a Thursday night tonight!! The NRL's oldest club vs the newest, the master coach vs his apprentice of many years. I'm ready to go so let's go! Let's get one over Wayne!!!

Latest posts