What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Panthers v Dragons 2010

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Round 7 2010
PENRITH PANTHERS v ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
pen-main.jpg
-v-
2010stg-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 4th August 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: antonius
Venue: CUA Stadium
ground_penrith_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Panthers team to take on Dragons:

1) Madunit
2) Azkatro
3) Leaguenut
4) Big Mick
5) AbPanther

6) Broncoman
7) The Piper
8) Edabomb

dubopov

Coach
The Dragons side is -

dubopov (c)
murphyscreek (vC)
st linnane
dragonz rule
hornbyslilhottie

dragon punk
jason maher

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

The Last Ashes Contest

Forty years ago, Great Britain toured to Australia for what proved to be the last enthralling Ashes series contested. Not since the Lions tour Down Under in 1970 has a test series drawn as many people to the games.

In the first test, England were towelled by the Kangaroos to the tune of 37-15 in front of 42,807 people at Lang Park. Johnny King and John Morgan both scored a pair of tries each and John McDonald picked up a try as well. Langlands potted nine goals and Phil Hawthorne slotted over two field goals.

Many felt that this series was going to be a forgone conclusion. Many though, didn’t count on the brilliance of Roger Millward.

After making several changes, including the return of Millward, the Lions hit back in a big way, winning 28-7 at the Sydney Cricket Ground in front of a crowd of 60,962. Millward played a starring role, scoring 20 of the Lions 28 points with 2 tries, 6 goals and a field goal.

With the series tied up and the Great Britain side gaining momentum, for the first time in many years Australia, was under heavy pressure to retain the Ashes which they had held for the last two series.

July 4, 1970. The decider.

A whopping 61,258 people packed into the grand old girl, the Sydney Cricket Ground. A galaxy of international Rugby League stars were lining up, including Bob Fulton, Arthur Beetson, Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote, Frank Myler, Roger Millward, Cliff Watson and Malcolm Reilly.

Australia received three early penalties and opted to take the points on offer every time, with Allan McKean potting three penalty goals. Millward also kicked a penalty goal for Great Britain, and after eleven minutes neither side was able to break the others defences.

However, some luck from a kick gave the Lions an opportunity. McKean attempted to put in a grubber kick which was charged down by Hartley, who the press had dubbed ‘one of the slowest players on the field.’ Hartley then kicked the loose ball ahead, regathered and scored next to the posts.

Less than ten minutes after the first try, British winger John Atkinson intercepted a stray pass from Beetson to run away and score the Lions second. Just three minutes later, some brilliant individual play by Millward set up a try for Syd Hynes. Millward chipped over the defence, regathered and fell but managed to get a pass away while on one knee to Hynes, who raced away to score. After trailing by 4 just 12 minutes before, the Lions now lead 15-6.

This twelve minute period essentially sealed the game for England. They had an unassailable lead. Australia simply could not breach the young Lion’s defences. The Kangaroos were kept in the match entirely from penalty goals by Allan McKean. It wasn’t until the 75th minute that Bob McCarthy managed to score Australia’s first try when he crashed over out wide. By then Great Britain lead 18-12 and were playing against an Australian side with twelve men after Arthur Beetson was marched for a careless high tackle on Cliff Watson ten minutes earlier.

With just five minutes remaining, Australia trailed by four and looked a distinct possibility to win. But the genius and brilliance of Roger Millward put that possibility to bed when he backed up Laughton who made a break just three minutes from full time, to score the match winning try.

The Ashes were recaptured by the touring Lions and were heading back to England. They had been written off by many pundits early in their campaign as they were a side full of very young players who had yet to be tested at the highest level by many, if any, of the international heavyweights.

Amazingly, the same situation happened 12 years later when a team of young inexperienced Australians played a much older and more experienced Great Britain team on their own soil.

However, in 1970 it was the young Roger Millward, who helped deliver many great times for England, including their last World Cup in 1972.

But until Australia lose the Ashes, he will be forever remembered for his heroics in this 1970 series, and fittingly, scoring the match winning try in the last game.

Furthermore, it was the Ashes winning try.

The last Ashes winning try by the Lions.

727 words including title

murphyscreek

Coach
murphyscreek for the Dragons....an early hit-up to settle the nerves

749 words between the stars

Just A Word

Best get these things over and done with. N****r. That word with the stars in it rhymes with bigger. I’m now hoping the sky won’t fall in before you’ve finished reading this.

I live near, and work in, the Queensland rural city of Toowoomba. Also known as The Garden City. A beautiful and magnificent rural centre servicing the rich pastoral and crop producing area known as the Darling Downs. A city steeped in history. A city with some of the finest schools in the Country and a first rate University. A city that has given us a splendid annual event in it’s Carnival Of Flowers.

A city that for nine years was divided over the public display of one word. That word was “N****r”.

Before expanding on this it would be prudent to note that Toowoomba is a staunch Rugby League town. From the early days of Toowoomba’s 1924/25 ‘Invincibles’ that took on all comers and prevailed, local expectations were set high. Their astonishing run included victories over Sydney premiers Souths, Ipswich, Brisbane, NSW, New Zealand and England. That team starred Herb Steinohrt, Mick Madsen, and the legendary Duncan “The Fox” Thompson. There is a long list of great players who have come from The Garden City since the formation of the Toowoomba Rugby League (TRL) in 1919 up until the present day.

Prior to the emergence of the ‘Invincibles’, Toowoomba had already provided it’s first ever Kangaroo in 1921. Edward Stanley Brown.

Aka ‘N****r’ Brown.

There are two possible explanations for his nickname given his Anglo-Saxon descent. The first is there was a “N****r Brown” colour available at the time in the Nugget brand of boot polish (later renamed “Dark Tan”). The other explanation for the nickname was the fact he had unusually fair coloured skin. Juxtaposed in a similar way that someone with red hair could be known as ‘Blue’.

Now let’s fast forward to the late 1960’s when the TRL decided, in it’s wisdom, to name the main grandstand of it’s premier rugby league venue Athletic Oval, the “E.S. ‘N****r’ Brown Stand”. Now this writer might be showing some bias here, but I would have thought that in the enlightened sixties the TRL might have shown a bit more, well, enlightenment. Surely there must have been some discussion about dropping the nickname? But in the context that Queensland Aboriginals did not gain the right to vote in Queensland State elections until 1965, perhaps one shouldn’t be so surprised. Let’s fast forward again.

The year is now 1999 and the start of what would become a fierce and bitter debate when local Aboriginal activist, Stephen Hagan, complained to the TRL about the signage and requested the word “N****r” be removed. His point then, and subsequently, was the word is so offensive that it’s use should not be condoned for public display regardless of the context (the censor function on this site would appear to agree, as did E.S. Brown’s family). The TRL, through it’s Chairman John McDonald, politely refused.

In growing disbelief Mr Hagan took the matter through our legal system right up to the High Court which deemed the word not to be in convention of the Racial Discrimination Act. Mr Hagan advanced the case to the United Nation’s Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination and consequently UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan himself deemed the sign offensive and recommended it be taken down. The TRL, through it’s Chairman John McDonald, politely refused.

Even when the stand was eventually demolished the TRL announced they would put a brass plaque on the replacement structure, dedicated to E.S. ‘N****r’ Brown. It was only the direct intervention of Queensland’s Minister of Sport that prevented this.

So nine years later Stephen Hagan, with the help of Judy Spence, had prevailed. In the process he was often vilified and maligned via the pages of the local paper. He reports receiving hate mail and abusive phone calls, some purporting to come from a local chapter of the Klu Klux Klan. Threats that Mr Hagan and the police took seriously and eventually Mr Hagan sold his house and relocated his family as a direct result of the intimidation.

A few short weeks ago the culmination of NAIDOC Week saw Timana Tahu receive an award for speaking out against racism in sport. I applaud Timana and Stephen Hagan, but despair of a society where such acts of self-sacrifice are still necessary.

Last edited:

St. Linnane

First Grade
St. Linnane steams on to a Murphys Creek offload as the mighty Dragons try to get a roll on:

750 words between the stars:

When even your best won’t be good enough

I got the call last week. I’d been called up to first grade. It had only taken twenty two weeks this year, and the many years before it.

The coach gave me the call. He said he’d been impressed with my training ethic, especially the fact that I’d never dropped my head, despite the fact it never looked like I’d get my chance with the big boys. He was also impressed with my control and application in NSW Cup. It didn’t worry me that the game had no bearing on the finals; I just couldn’t wait to make my debut.

I’d dreamed of this moment since I became involved in league. Since the under eights. Not the way I’d thought I would make it; but still happy that I’d achieved my goal finally.

That week I had an extra bounce in my step. Fully alert and attentive in the video session instead of being a smart arse; even the training drills weren’t as mundane as they had been the week before; despite the fact they hadn’t changed since the pre-season. The other guys were really supportive too. Those who’d been in first grade long time had some quiet words of encouragement for me. I really respected them; they’d kept me focussed through the tough times in the season, telling me I was good enough; I just needed the opportunity to present itself and when it did, grab it with both hands and don’t let go.

I’d rung my parents and organised some tickets for them and my family for the match. They’d supported me as I worked to achieve my dream. Not once did they tell me to give up on my dream and get a real job. This is my opportunity to reward, in some small part, their faith in me.

We reach game day, I get to the ground early, in time to watch the lower grade game. I find my family in the stand; everyone is so happy for me, and wishes me well. I leave them at half time to get ready for my game.

I get my right ankle strapped. I’d rolled in a couple of weeks ago. The Doc reckons it’ll need a clean out at the end of the year. Regardless of how sore it is, nothing was going to stop me making my debut tonight.

I go out on the field to complete the warm up with my team mates. A number of stretches; some sprint work. The nerves are starting to build, as is the crowd. I hope I don’t let any of them down. I feel the presure on me; but I know that I have my team mates out there with me. We complete the warm up and return to the sheds.

I unpack my fresh jersey. Run my fingers over the badges; tracing the sponsorship. This is what it is all about. I pull the jersey on. The coach comes over. “Keep it clear; keep it simple son. Show respect to gain respect. Use the atmosphere to your advantage. Last of all, enjoy yourself. It’s your debut and you’ll only do it once”. The coach has a word with a couple of my team mates and quietly leaves the shed.

There is about five minutes until kick off. We share a few words with each other; small talk really, simply to keep the nerves at bay. We’d spoken about the game plan all week at training, we all knew what our responsibilities were. Most of all each of us knew how hard each of us word work for the other; to make sure that the team has a good game and avoids media scrutiny. Our team has seen enough of that his year.

The away team ran out on to the hallowed turf to a chorus of booing; the home team followed to a similar chorus, only this time they cheered. Out in the middle of the park, I pause for a second, and look down at my jersey and remind myself I’d made it. I put my right hand in the air, and the whistle in my left to my mouth. “Here we go boys; let’s have a good one” I exclaim as I blow time on; though deep down I know that regardless of the outcome, in some people’s eyes even my best won’t be good enough.

Who in their right mind would want to be a referee...

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
The debutant steps up and takes a hit up for the mighty panthers, 740 words between the stars::

The joys of Fantasy Football

I’d like to take you on a little journey if I may, please hold my hand as I take you through the weird and wonderful world that his NRL Fantasy Football. Many will turn their heads and label us as “nerds”; however I can assure you that this little piece of heaven holds more emotional highs and lows than you can ever have imagined.

The basic premise of fantasy football is a simple one, owners are asked to pick a team of real NRL players and their fantasy team gains points based on the real life performance of these players. For example, if you pick Greg Inglis and he scores a try and has a try assist, then your team scores points for these feats.

Initially teams are selected via a draft where owners take turns to select players, obviously each have their own strategies in regards to a player’s value, which positions should be drafted first, etc. The draft itself can be quite emotional, on many occasions when your turn is up you find yourself battling between several possibilities, “Do I take Thurston and grab a centre later? Yeah I’m sure I can grab Matt Rogers or Chris Lawrence in the next round”.

You then watch the following picks like a hawk, hoping that other owners go elsewhere with their selections, leaving you with a clear path to grab one of those centres that you covet. Then two picks before your selection, BAM, Lawrence is gone. ”Well that’s ok, Rogers is still on the board”, BAM, and there he goes. Each draft selection in itself has collective owners holding their breaths.

The real fun starts when the games begin; fantasy football makes every single game worth watching if your fantasy players are involved, I guarantee you even a game featuring the last placed sides will be a must-see spectacle, and within a single game the highs and lows that you experience can be immense.

Let me set the scene for you, your fantasy team is down by a handful of points leading into this Monday night classic between the Sharks and Cowboys, you have both Ashley Graham and Dean Collis in your side, you think to yourself “Yeah I should be right, one of them will grab a try and take me to victory”. On Monday afternoon you are scanning the news for weather reports (which you would normally have no business doing) to gain a mental edge, you notice that the clouds are gathering and a thunderstorm is forecast for the game, “Gee that will be a low scoring game” you think to yourself, nevertheless you feel confident going into the game.

The game kicks off, and you watch the opening half intensely, screaming at the TV every time either team decides to spread the ball in the opposite direction to your player, “Geez why don’t they just run it down the blindside and pass it to Collis, he would’ve scored” you think to yourself, with your fantasy coach cap firmly on your head. The teams go into the sheds at half time tied at 6-6, neither of your players have scored a point and you are beginning to worry, “That’s ok, still another 40 minutes to go, they’ll get the job done”.

Second half commences and once again you find yourself frustrated. 15 minutes to go in the game nothing has changed, however the Sharks have the ball 20 metres out from the Cowboys line, “Here is my chance, c’mon pass it to Collis!!”. Last tackle comes up, the Sharks spread it wide, Barrett then fires a beautiful cut out ball across Collis to Covell who scores in the corner.

“NO, NO, NO, what are you doing Barrett you moron, why didn’t you pass it to Collis!!!!”

Only two minutes to go now and you are on the edge of your seat, the Cowboys are entrenched deep in their own half, suddenly, Thurston makes a break, the commentator goes off his nut.

“Thurston throws a dummy and he goes straight through, over the halfway, he only has the fullback to beat, he has Graham on his outside in support. Thurston throws another dummy, he won’t need support, Thurston scores the try to end the game!!”

“ARGH!!!!! Why didn’t you pass the ball Thurston you bloody hog!!!!”

It’s just another day in the life of the roller coaster ride that is fantasy football...

broncoman

Juniors
broncoman
#6 Panthers

Become an NRL Player

As the human race invents and conquerors we continue to give ourselves more challenges, you can study to become anything that you desire and in the ever growing world of education and learning why not learn to become a professional rugby league player on paper. Stupid idea yes, but today I'm going to tell you how it might work.

Have the Physique
Rugby league players have pretty differing shapes and sizes, it's a great thing about our game that anyone from the size of Geoff Toovey to Tom Learoyd Lahrs can make it to the highest level and be just as important to their side. Obviously you can't make someone taller or shorter so that you are stuck with, however you can spend this three year university degree moulding yourself into the shape you want depending on the position or positions you will be playing. Working out is a large part of any sport and if you have the best resources available to you then you'll definitely succeed here.

Have the Right Coaches
Thousands of players have come and gone from professional Rugby League ranks in years gone by, some are probably sitting on their couches at home right now waiting for the call to get involved in something like this, if you have the basic skill levels and are passionate about the game then people with some know how are certainly going to make a difference. They say being a great player doesn't mean you'll make a great coach but accredited people are not far away and this would be one of the easiest things to set up.

Dedication to the Game
You see too many young guys these days getting trouble for all sorts of things, the key here is discipline, give these guys less free time and more game relatedcontent to keep their mind on things and the rewards will come. Young guys attending this course will learn more than how to pass, kick and catch; they'll learn the importance of past greats, the history of the game, strategic idea's on moving forward as well as grasping a better understanding as to what goes into running the sport in the administration levels.

Leadership Roles
All players taking part in this will be required to get coaching certificates and will be required to coach junior teams while they are in the course, not only can they pass on their knowledge of the game to young kids they will also gain responsibilities they wouldn't otherwise have had. This will also be helpful for life after football for the players that continue with the game and they will also appreciate what they have passed on to them by their coach at the NRL level if they make it that far.

Media Training
All NRL clubs currently do media training with all their players but in this course it will be taken further, not only will the young players learn how to deal with the media and any problems that may come from talking with them they will also be trained to be part of the media themselves. A small sports journalism section will be included so that they have a better understanding on what to expect when they become NRL players but some may also see that a future career path for life after football.

Money Management Course
As part of the theory side of the course all players will be required to take part in some business studies, the players will learn about managing their money and dealing with investments and strategies. With young NRL stars coming into huge amounts of money earlier and earlier it's essential they know how to use it wisely, as part of this area they will have accounts set up and advisors giving them all the information they need to wisely manage their assets.

Game Day
There's only so much you can do off the field to become an NRL player so game time is essential, leagues and competition's will be set up to help these players develop their skills in match situations. Friendly matches against Toyota Cup teams and equivalent sides would also be arranged on a regular basis.

I know this is a ridiculous idea and I'm not for a minute suggesting it could happen, it's just a comment on how anyone can be trained to become anything nowadays and if we wanted to treat our NRL players like robots this is how we could do it.
------------------

750 words including title

#24 Hornbyslilhottie gets the last minute words from capitan Dubo...

The pilgrimage.

I hope this will create a nostalgic feeling for some...

Last Sunday I was lucky enough to experience something that every die-hard Rugby League fan should do in their lifetime. I went to Suncorp Stadium to watch a game of footy, and not just any game – I went to watch my mighty Saints do battle.

Now, I know that my beloved Dragons lost, and as such the depression continues for another week, but I had a truly amazing experience and I know that I follow and precede thousands who have and will share the same thing I did.

I had been counting down to this game for months. Booking flights, saving money, finding out who was going and where they were staying. And finally the time had come.

My journey started off on the Saturday, the day before the game. I flew up to Brisbane by myself and met up with mates at the airport before we checked into the hotel. The boys had already been to the ground, but myself never having been to the stadium or Brisbane itself, I was full of excitement. We saw the players and Wayne Bennett himself. I asked Jamie Soward which room Ben Hornby was staying in but he wouldn’t tell me. After seeing the players at the hotel, eating and drinking and mucking around all afternoon and night, I was getting ready for what was going to follow the next day and the pre-game nerves and excitement were kicking into overdrive.

We had a blast that night and being in our Dragons gear attracted a lot of attention – both good and bad and we walked away with a few more mates and enemies than before.

We all woke up ‘dead’ the next morning and I will admit that the day would have been better if I wasn’t a tad hungover, but that’s what it’s all about. At about 11am that morning seven of us made the trek from our hotel to the famous CAXTON HOTEL – the pub of all pubs.

Once we arrived at the Caxton (which is obviously where we all had to be) we were adorned by a bunch of fellow Saints supporters, all decked out in their gear and as the hours rolled in, so did they. We drank beer, we took photos, we chanted chants, we soaked up the atmosphere and of course, we were thankful that we were all there together for the one same purpose – to cheer our boys to victory.

The lead up to going to the famous pub was probably the highlight for me. Footy supporters and the non that I had told of my trip, told me I had to make sure I would go there. And obviously, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

It soon became time to walk the short distance down the road to the ground. We were full of excitement and spirit as we did so and the nervousness we ever-growing. Thousands of supporters joined us and we chimed in with the friendly banter which all footy fans do. And of course before entering the ground we ‘decorated’ the King himself with Dragons’ paraphernalia – something which many have done before us.

I’m sure you all saw the game and I don’t really want to think about it too much but win, lose or draw, I was just happy to be away and to be at the most famous Rugby League ground of them all. The stadium was chockers and the heat and the fact that it was a beautiful, sunny Sunday afternoon really did make it one for the books.

Even though we didn’t get away with the win. And even though we were all extremely tired and hung-over. And even though we all spent too much money. And even though my plane was delayed…I know I had a great time and I am sure that all those who made the trip did as well.

I take great pride in being able to tell people that I went up to Brissy to watch my beloved Dragons play and to know in my heart that I am that passionate about something to be able to do it and to want to do it. And even though many of them have laughed at me and have told me that I’m crazy, I know deep down they’re a little bit jealous…

I can not wait for next year – BRING IT ON!!!

742 words

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
After breaking the line, hornbyslilhottie24 throws a loooong pass (apparently all the way from Brisbane!) out wide to DRAGONZ_RULE, who sprints down the touchline with Dubopov supporting on the inside and only the fullback to beat!

With 745 words between the stars, DRAGONZ_RULE comes to the Panthers fullback, draws, passes, and .....

LIFE, LOVE AND RUGBY LEAGUE: A HELLISH PARADISE

CHAPTER 4

The day had arrived. Despite a few sleepless nights, Saturday morning had dawned upon southern Sydney.

But this was no ordinary Saturday. This day was one which would begin, peculiarly, in the same fashion for man and boy alike. This was the day where, for one glorious morning each year, hope springs eternal, and where nightfall is met with divergent emotions – for some, unbridled joy and ecstasy; for others, heartbreak, despair, and tears. Again, for man and boy alike.

The day had arrived.

This was Grand Final day.

For Kevin ‘Bluey’ Wilson, Grand Final Day meant so much. Back in Cobar, it was the one day of the year when his mum and dad both came to watch him play. Bluey looked back on those days even more fondly now: earlier that year, his parents had split up; Bluey’s dad packed up (with Bluey in tow) and moved to Sydney, hoping to start a new life, and Bluey had not spoken to his mum since that day he so nearly lost his prized footy player cards.

Over the past two years, Grand Final Day was also about watching the mighty St George Dragons, as they tried (unsuccessfully) to win a Premiership. It meant barbecues, soft drinks, chips and lollies … but ultimately heartbreak.

And now, for Bluey and the rest of his U16s Renown United teammates, Grand Final Day was here again, with the promise of a rags-to-riches story in the offing. Running last at the midway point of the season, Coach Edwards had pleaded with his son, Tom, to find somebody who could play. Tom mentioned his new best friend, Bluey, and the rest was history. A stunning unbeaten run, now standing at 11 games, had Renown heading into the Grand Final as favourites. Even though they were playing Kingsgrove Colts, who had only lost one game all season, the general consensus was that Bluey would win the game for Renown single-handedly.

The pressure placed on Bluey was immense. Scouts were going to be at the match. A crowd in the hundreds was expected. And yet, for Bluey, it mattered little. Still, his breakfast felt like sandpaper in his mouth; he also managed to put his boots on the wrong foot – twice! It was all for a different reason, though: he was sure that the girl, that glorious (albeit nameless) girl watching last weekend’s semi-final, was going to be there. The pressure, therefore, was self-imposed: he had to impress her, and he instinctively knew that if he could, she would be his!

As the team sat in the sheds minutes before kick-off, Coach Edwards had one last thing to say:

“Boys, no matter what happens today, there’s one thing you have which those Kingsgrove bastards don’t.”

“Bluey?” remarked Tom, to the sound of rippling laughter.

“No. Well, yes. But no, that’s not what I’m talking about. What you have is a jersey sitting on your back with green and white stripes. What you have is a logo over your heart to be proud of. YOU ARE RENOWN!!!”

The boys cheered, yelled, stomped their feet. Bluey led them in their loudest pre-match chant of the season:

There’s a team,
There’s a team,
There’s a team that’s ever been
Along the Illawarra line!

Gimme an R–Rrrrrrrrr!
Gimme an E–Eeeeeee!
Gimme an N–Nnnnnn!
Gimme an O–Oooooo!
Gimme a W–Wwww!
Gimme an N–Nnnnnn!

What’s it spell?
RENOWN!!!!!

With that, the boys stormed out of the dressing room, to be met by the raucous cheers of family, friends and interested spectators alike – there was no doubting who the sentimental favourites were! Twenty seconds later, Kingsgrove made their way onto the field, looking every bit as confident and self-assured as an almost perfect season can make a team feel.

The referee passed the ball to Bluey, who was going to kick off for Renown. Coach Edwards had thought it through, and decided that it would be better to kick off and try to smash the Colts with every ounce of strength that Renown could muster in that opening set of six.

And then, suddenly, the shrill blast of the referee’s whistle.

The rush of blood to Bluey’s face as he ran towards the ball, striking it with all his might.

The arc of the ball in the sky. Up, up, up … down, down, down …

The U16s Grand Final of 1994 was underway!!

To be continued ...

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut puts down the bottle long enough to string a few sentences together...

LeagueNut (Panthers)
pen-main.jpg

Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoats

We all have a mental tipping point inside us. It’s that final straw – you might have put up with it for as long as you can remember, but all of a sudden it becomes too damn ridiculous to bear any longer. Then, if you’re anything like me, you’ll sit back and wonder just how it got so out of hand before you noticed.

So why the hell are there so many different jerseys for each club these days??

I don’t think I’m that old, but I can fondly recall a bygone era when each club only had one playing strip. They might have a slightly different “alternate” design for extreme occasions, or a funky modern experimental strip for pre-season competitions, but the rest of the time you’d see them in their tried-and-true standard jerseys.

“Professionalism” brought the concept of home and away jerseys, or Main and Alternate if you want to get technical. They weren’t really needed, but it allowed clubs to become a bit more experimental with their designs, and the fans were happy with a bit of variation.

Unfortunately, like a naughty kid who was never told “no”, each club has continued to push the boundaries with more and more jerseys becoming available each year. These days, clubs will often enter a new season with a veritable plethora of strips to choose from. If I remember correctly, we’ve got:
  • Main jerseys
  • Alternate jerseys (to be worn when there’s at least a 0.005% chance that a colour-blind monkey will confuse your main jersey with the jersey of the opposition)
  • Heritage jerseys (any connection to actual club heritage is sometimes purely coincidental)
  • Anniversary jerseys (which is just like a heritage jersey – isn’t it?)
  • Second alternate jerseys (didn’t Parramatta have a white alternate a few seasons ago?)
  • Pink jerseys (if you’re honest, you’ll agree that the novelty of these wore off after the first year)
  • Cultural jerseys (or whatever the PC term is for those psychedelic designs the Knights wore last year)
  • Promotional jerseys (sorry Bulldogs, I still haven’t seen Avatar yet)
  • Charity jerseys (although I’ll admit I’ve got no idea why the Raiders were wearing blue jerseys the other week – it was a charity thing wasn’t it? And was that strange Broncos strip all about?)
Did I forget any?

And it doesn’t stop there – if the multitude of jerseys wasn’t enough, you can now also watch your favourite team running around in specially coloured socks. I haven’t got a clue why a plague of green socks hit the NRL last weekend, but it’s now in place as another kick in the crotch for tradition.

Another recent trick is to take a jersey and add screeds of text to it. The Roosters have added the names of their 1975 Premiership winning side to their “specially commissioned” jerseys for the upcoming clash against the Dragons. Sometimes players take to the field in milestone games with so much writing on their jerseys, they look more like walking dictionaries than Rugby League players.

Surely we’ve reached a limit now?!? I’m sure there’s some sort of rule in place saying clubs can’t change their main jersey designs within two or three years – but is there any limit on the number of different designs they can wear in a season? If this keeps up, it won’t be long until clubs have different strips for each round of the regular season – with the added bonus of extra designs to come if they make the finals.

I’ve also got no doubt that some of these charity cases are taking full advantage of the NRL’s strange desire to confuse and alienate their fans. “Hey, let’s approach this club and see if they’ll play in a guava-coloured polka dot strip to draw attention to the plight of the illiterate mountain children of Mykaloogadown” – they wouldn’t dare say no to that! And it’s only natural that anyone who does disagree is obviously an insensitive, ignorant and unenlightened moron – for shame.

I may be in the minority, but I’m officially declaring my objection to the whole thing. I guess I can stomach the whole “main and alternate” thing, even if it’s kind of strange that the Kiwis and Kangaroos have managed to play against each other for decades with two pretty dark strips and no need for an alternate – but that’s none of my business.

Enough is enough – no more jerseys please!

734 words in the official counter

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Australia's Unfashionables

The 2003 rugby league Ashes series was the 39th time in 96 years that Australia took on Great Britain. The history books will show you that it was yet another predictable 3-0 walloping by the mighty Australians, making it their 13th consecutive series win since winning back the trophy on English soil in 1973.

But in the case of the 2003 Ashes, there is more to this outcome than meets the eye.

Braith Anasta. Luke Bailey. Trent Barrett. Nathan Blacklock. Dane Carlaw. Hazem El Masri. Brad Fittler. Bryan Fletcher. Mark Gasnier. Matthew Gidley. Ryan Girdler. Scott Hill. Andrew Johns. Ben Kennedy. Jamie Lyon. Adam MacDougall. Chris McKenna. Steve Menzies. Brad Meyers. Jason Ryles. Wendell Sailor. Jason Stevens. Timana Tahu. Gorden Tallis. Brent Tate. Shaun Timmins. Lote Tuqiri. Michael Vella. Richard Villasanti.

To the untrained eye, this looks like a "who's who" of international stars at the turn of the century.

It's actually a list of players who wore the Kangaroos jersey from 2001 onwards, who didn't take the field for the Aussies in the 2003 series.

The sheer number of reasons that they didn't play are vast. Even switching to rugby union was part of the problem. But in very few cases was it due to poor form resulting in non-selection of a few of these guys. This becomes painfully evident when you review some of the names in the squad that flew to England for those three Tests in November of 2003 - Phil Bailey and Shannon Hegarty spring to mind.

With these factors in mind, and considering Great Britain were able to muster a victory in the 2001 series with a similar core of players against a seemingly far superior Australian lineup, many pundits had placed the Lions in good stead for a series triumph. Naturally this created plenty of excitement in the English media and resulted in great interest in the opening match at Wigan on November the 8th.

The anticipation culminated in possibly the most incredible opening to an Ashes Test match in history.

Great Britain's Shaun Long launched the kick off high and to the right. As the ball sailed through its arc, a great roar filled the stadium in approval at the commencement of another Ashes series. It came down to Craig Gower, Australia's stand-off, who shovelled it onto a charging Robbie Kearns. The aging number 10 was confronted by a rampaging Adrian Morley who, instead of easing into the defensive line with the rest of his forward pack, had opted to continue sprinting towards the ball carrier. Kearns, who saw him coming, stepped off the right foot as he received the ball, leaving Morley racing towards thin air.

With the benefit of hindsight, he would have admitted defeat and retreated back to the defensive line. But the red mist had descended. He threw out his right arm and it crashed violently against the face of his opposite number.

The rest, of course, is history. English referee Steve Ganson stopped the clock at 0:12, and following a quick check with the man upstairs, presented Morley with a red card.

Despite this setback, the Lions fought gallantly for the full 80 minutes and were unlucky not to win the opening Test. It was probably just what the makeshift Australian side needed to gain the confidence they needed for the remaining two games, which were just as tight and competitive as the first.

And while Morley's sendoff will probably remain the defining moment of this series, what shouldn't be forgotten is the contribution to all three games by Australia's fullback and captain, Darren Lockyer, and the halfback Brett Kimmorley. It was Lockyer's swan song in the #1 jersey and his coming of age as captain of the Kangaroos.

And for Kimmorley, it is a great shame these three Ashes Tests were shown at the wee hours of the morning. Those critical of his selection would probably have been sleeping soundly in their beds while "Noddy" carved up the Poms and helped us keep the Ashes trophy.

If the next Ashes are contested again in 2012 (which is at this stage a likely possibility), many will hope for a change of scenery for the cup. By then it will have been stuck in Australia for almost 40 years. But this writer hopes the Kangaroos continue the legacy left by generations of past players, not least of all the 2003 side - the Unfashionables - and keep it here for another 40 years at least.

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Last edited:

dubopov

Coach
Dubo ran into the Panthers forwards screamin Queeeeennslander !!! .. Even though it was an NRL match. Head knock ??

UNCLE ROBBO

My Uncle Robbo was a typical, knockabout Aussie bloke. He was a huge, red-haired fella who loved his beer, loved his footy, loved his mates; and God knows how many of them he had. He seemed to know everybody, as I discovered when I was a kid and we first visited him and my Auntie Eileen in Brisbane.

I remember walking through the EKKA with him after we got off the train. Robbo was immaculately dressed in a pin-striped suit and imported leather shoes yet he stopped to talk or shake hands with all sorts of people.

"Robbo, you're lookin' good you old bastard", said some really old bastard.

"Nice threads man", a long-haired bloke in ripped jeans opined as he handed us some incense.

"Devlin, you look smashing !" announced a bloke in a clown suit. "Who's your little friend"?

Devlin ??? What a clown the clown was !

This wasn't a Devlin, it was Uncle Robbo. My favourite Uncle even though he had only married Mum's older sister Eileen because she was 'up the duff'.

Eventually we made our way up two long flights of stairs to a bar which was stamped "PRIVATE" on the frosted glass. Robbo ushered me in, bought me a double sars, and directed me to a stool in the corner while he sat down with a big silver-haired man who he said was a 'Senator'.

"How are ya Ron ?", Robbo enquired.

"Good mate" the Senator replied.

I don't recall much of their conversation because I was lost in a cloud of anticipation of sideshow alley, the Grand Parade and the sample-bag pavillion. All I remember were key words like 'Origin', 'Humphries', 'Queensland' and the phrase, " those Aussie Rules pricks will f**king-well take over".

Little did I know, but I had been a few metres away from a decision which changed Rugby League forever, the birth of the State Of Origin.

Apparently, the silver-haired Senator who spoke to Uncle Robbo that day was the legendary QLD Rugby League stalwart Senator Ron Macauliffe who is often credited as the man whose brainchild was State Of Origin.

Uncle Robbo had known the Senator since the early 50's when Robbo played in the second row for the Fortitude Valley Diehards when Macauliffe was the Club President. After he had to quit playing because of work commitments, the Uncle became connected with his mate Ron in the ALP via his Union involvement. They became great mates.

Apparently, as family history has dictated, Robbo was the man behind the Origin concept. Even though I was there and don't really know, I have been told that my Uncle was able to convince the QRL Chairman about the need for Origin by firing up the Senator due to his dislike of Southerners and the vile game of Australian Rules.

A re-construction of their conversation based on family folklore would go along these lines ..

Senator - Mate, the NSW blokes, particularly Humphries reckon the interstate games are dead in the water.

Robbo - We need to get our players back and have a State Of Origin game .. too many of our blokes have been playing for the enemy .. big Artie for example.

Senator - I'm not convinced.

Robbo - Mate, you can take the Queenslander out of Queensland but you can't take the Queensland out of the Queenslander. Trust me Ron .. The boys want to play for THEIR state not the Southerners.

Senator - Fair point mate, but how do I convince Humphries ?

Robbo - Have a look at the Aussie Rules match. They had a huge crowd to watch the Origin between WA and Victoria. We can't let those Aussie Rules pricks f**kin'-well take over up here.

The rest as they say, is history. And so was Uncle Robbo who staggered and nearly fell down the steps as we left the plush bar heading towards sideshow alley.

"F**k that bloke can drink .. I mean, he can really put 'em away", he muttered.

Unfortunately, so could Uncle Robbo. He died from cirrhosis of the liver when he was 65. An unsung hero of Rugby League.

At his funeral I asked Dad why he was really "Devlin Artimus O'Doherty" and not Robbo.

"Robbo .. Robbo" .. Dad laughed. He was called Robbo because he'd steal anything that wasn't tied down ... A f**kin' robber - ROBBO .. sh*t he quit playin' footy because he was put away for 5 years for a f**kin' burglary of Senator Macauliffe's house. If Ronny Macauliffe hadn't given him a second chance, Robbo would have been nothing."

..................................................................................................

750 words

apologies to Hugh Lunn who is attributed with the 'Queensland' quote

sources - Wikipedia

- family members

Last edited:

dubopov

Coach
Well done MIGHTY DRAGONS !!!! .. A great effort - fingers crossed .. Good luck Penrith, thanks for the match ..

antonius

Coach
Panthers

Madunit

The Last Ashes Contest
730 Words
The writer recalls the 1970 Ashes series, and in particular the effect Roger Millward had for the poms. Good account.
Score 85

abpanther

The joys of Fantasy Football
740 Words
A piece on the fantasy league. The writer explains the highs And lows of playing the game. Watch for long sentences, they tend to make exhaustive reading. Good effort first up.
Score 84

LeagueNut

Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoats
734 Words
I’m sure plenty of fans would echo the writers thoughts in this one. Why so many different playing strips? My theory is, money, mum and dad will buy them for the kids if they pester enough, it’s a money making machine. Very topical theme to this piece.
Score 87

Azkatro

Australia's Unfashionables
747 Words
A piece on one of the unfashionable Australian test teams. Interesting read, I didn’t realise so many stars of the game at that time were missing. Just shows how much depth there was. Well written.
Score 87

Broncoman

Become an NRL Player
749 Words
Go to uni and become a league player. The writer explains a course that may be used to create league players. Nice concept. Some long sentences spoilt this a little. Creative though
Score 85

Dragons

murphyscreek

Just A Word
749 Words
An enlightening piece on racism in the game. The writer details events surrounding the naming of a grandstand using a nickname from many years ago that is offensive, and draws the comparison of the recent events surrounding Timanah Tahu and how some things really haven’t changed.
Score 88

St. Linnane

When even your best won’t be good enough
750 Words
Clever, the writer teases us through the piece, leading us to think he is making his debut as a player, when in fact it’s as a ref. Pretty sure this has been done before, but still got me. Some minor spelling errors.
Score 85

Hornbyslilhottie

The pilgrimage.
742 Words
A fans account of a recent trip up north to watch their team. Well written.
Score 84

DRAGONZ_RULE

LIFE, LOVE AND RUGBY LEAGUE: A HELLISH PARADISE
CHAPTER 4
745 Words
I am assuming this is a continuation of previous articles? Regardless it’s well written and keeps the reader interested. I will be watching for chapter 5.
Score 85

Dubopov

UNCLE ROBBO
753 Words (Checked twice on the official word counter)
The birth of State of Origin, or was it? Good read. Shame that the word count is costing you 2 points.
Score 88-2 point penalty

Result Panthers 428 drew Dragons 428 POTM murphyscreek

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I'd like to say a huge Kudos on behalf of the Panthers to antonious for the quick marking.

You're so quick, you make Ali look like Martin Bella...speed wise.

When you flick the switch at night, you are able to have a shower, brush your teeth and hit the bed and get in half an hours worth of sleep before the light goes out.

;-)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Tough luck Dubo on the word counter.

Otherwise, a good match guys. Dragons, be proud - It is another top effort and a good showing. Panthers are a strong and consistent side :)

Latest posts