What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Titans

Big Mick

Referee
I heard Cleary interviewed post game. He described us as 'adequate' given we were great in defence. Must be the attack not being of standard to make it only adequate

Well doesn't that show u that he knows and that he is working on developing it?

I mean FMD...that first try was beautiful. More of that with our defense being the way it is....we are a top 4 team.

Defense is about attitude and commitment and we have that in spades right now.

Attack is about timing and precision and we are still developing that.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Only 14 offloads?!? FFS Cleary!!!

Tim Grant had two offloads in his initial spell which is more than his last two seasons combined.

I thought our forwards were terrific. Forget about the stat's (metres gained). Grant, Kite, Plum and Latimore all did there jobs and more than rivaled a much bigger pack.

franklin2323

Immortal
Well doesn't that show u that he knows and that he is working on developing it?

So pick some players that can offer something different then just the worker. A slight change. Imagine Robinson on the time we had Kingston at lock.

We made breaks tonight no speed again we only really had the kick.

I don't think we could of done anything more then we did tonight given the team we had named.

Kilkenny

Coach
I honestly don't know what some fans are complaining about.

Four wins from our first seven games, in the eight. This is a hard comp. Have a look at some of the teams below us.

Some of the personal attacks on certain players really get up my nose. There is a reason why Ivan Cleary leaves the likes of Kingston on for the full 80. Leadership and 51 tackles for a start.

Yes it wasn't always pretty and yes we should have won comfortably but we ground out the win with our backs to the wall. Courageous is a word that comes to mind given the defence we had to do and the calls that went against us.

chrisD

Coach
Well we won, I guess that's what matters. And we actually scored a real try.

Given Wallace and even Soward for some completely inexplicable reason can not make use of Moylan in the backline we may as well play DWZ there, as he's not even offering safe hands anymore. And his support play isn't there either.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
FMD Chris...Still bagging Wallace even though he was clear MOTM tonight. You are a real treat.

I'll give you one thing...you are very consistent.

Karnivayne

Juniors
I honestly don't know what some fans are complaining about.

Four wins from our first seven games, in the eight. This is a hard comp. Have a look at some of the teams below us.

Some of the personal attacks on certain players really get up my nose. There is a reason why Ivan Cleary leaves the likes of Kingston on for the full 80. Leadership and 51 tackles for a start.

Yes it wasn't always pretty and yes we should have won comfortably but we ground out the win with our backs to the wall. Courageous is a word that comes to mind given the defence we had to do and the calls that went against us.

The problem is we have an 80 min defender that can make 50 tackles in Elijah Taylor and having a hooker that plays 80 mins is great if you dont have a back up hooker on the bench but we do and its no fault of Kingstons but we become even lighter in second row when Kingston shifts to lock when Docker or Manu comes off for Segeyaro.

Has anyone ever looked at our game and noticed how we struggle from around the 55min mark, i would say it would have a lot to do with having a hooker that is on the field for 80 mins, when Segeyaro leaves the field and Kingston goes back to hooker we have poor service from dummy half and errors creep in around the ruck, tonight with 2 mins to go he throws a forward pass that was a metre forward that put us in a tight position where we should have just ran the clock down. Fatigue kicks in and we struggle, swapping Segeyaro and Kingston might prevent these lapses in concentration that will end up costing us 2 points.

I would say it is more a coaching deficiency in tactic than any player not putting in.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We'll see. It's hard to be all that trusting when we still have Kingston on the field for 80 minutes at a time throwing stupid bloody forward passes with 90 seconds late.

We are not a Top 4 side, at all. Perhaps a Top 4 defense (maybe; after all, the Bulldogs, Raiders, and especially Titans are pretty one-dimensional in attack. Is it a co-incidence that we lost handily to the two best attacking sides we have faced so far?), but not a Top 4 side.

The encouraging thing was seeing us try to promote the ball more. When people here talk about clicking, they seem to be assuming that our players are suddenly going to be faster, more creative, more powerful. Never going to happen. What needs to click is Cleary giving a little bit more license to speed up the ruck, get fast play the balls, and try a bit more to get the ball away and our players into space. That IS something that we can improve on with time. And that is totally on Cleary whether it happens.

chrisD

Coach
Once again our forwards are not making metres, they had 4 guys make over 100m, we only had 1 (Taylor)

Means nothing, they're just shared around more. We made more meters in less runs as a team than them and no prop on either team ran further per carry than Grant.

franklin2323

Immortal
Leadership and 51 tackles for a start.

A hooker/lock playing a full game will always make tackles. Kite, Wallace, Soward, Manu infact most of the guys aren't that inexperience plenty can step up to leadership.

Docker/Taylor are also great defenders. Robinson was 18th man. Him even with 30 mins on the field can be very handy.

Get him off one of the halves hips. Will atleast be a chance of breaking the line. We would lose minimal in defence.

chrisD

Coach
FMD Chris...Still bagging Wallace even though he was clear MOTM tonight. You are a real treat.

I'll give you one thing...you are very consistent.

I have unrealistic expectations in a halfback it seems, like tries or assists every now and then.

Kilkenny

Coach
Follow this thread without knowing the result and you think we had lost.

I can't believe the negativity here.

Wallace was terrific tonight. Great game in attack and particularly in defence.

I am amazed how some seem to think they are so much wiser than our coach.

Karnivayne

Juniors
I dont know if I or anyone else is wiser than the coach some very well may be but we all have opinions on certain issues and tactics which we come on the forum to discuss, I dont really see an issue with it, being a public forum and all.

Wallace is a shit load better than Walsh in defense, takes the line on more doesnt give hospital passes as often and has been tackled more in 4-5 games than Walsh did his entire span at Panthers.

We are progressing well, by mid origin we should be hitting our straps and get a better idea of where we are at.

Doomednow

Bench
Decent game from a developing team. Halves continue to improve. Nervous last few minutes but we held on despite shitty officiating. It's getting geniused how bad it is.

chrisD

Coach
Next week we play the team running last and the only team with a worse attacking record than us. Hopefully it's seen as an opportunity to try sacrificing some defence for attack.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I am amazed how some seem to think they are so much wiser than our coach.

Every single online sports forum in the world, there is always someone who loves to trot this line out. Sitting around with a bunch of mates in real life talking sport, I've never heard anyone ever pull this one out, because it is a precious, defensive, pointless attempt to prevent discussion.