What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Warriors at WIN

Draginzaaar

Bench
But not All the time. When they get damaged
They are not replaced
You see a lot of tries scored in the corner
But no corner post's
What's up with that 🤡
No the don't, they are always there. They aren't damaged like the old cardboard one from years ago. They have advertising on them, so they are always replaced.

RedVee

First Grade
It’s not my Bday QLD redvee but thanks anyway. It’s my daughter in laws combined with a surprise gender reveal for my first grandchild. My son and daughter in law don’t even know the gender so my wife and I are expecting an amazing day.

I think I’ll wear a Dragons jumper tomorrow as well from the selection of many I have.

110% with PRIDE
Our first grandchild arrived earlier this year. I heartedly recommend it.

They named him Edward. I call him Teddy, sometimes Lord Ted. :)

Please explain why some players can’t do shitty tough carries and why this is a skill? I think Lomax gets too involved & in the forwards way with shitty tough carries but I guess he takes some of their workload and as long as it doesn’t effect his game I guess it’s ok. Not being critical of your comment D&Y just interested why a Couchman or others we can promote can’t at least do this.
Luke Lewis was fullsome in his praise of our three-quarters all having made 150 metres through making tough carries to relieve the burden on the forwards who could then expend that energy in defense.He claimed it was a hallmark of Flanno's coaching and, while I can't say I've noticed this before, I see the logic in it.

RedVee

First Grade
Remember old Nth Sydney Oval where you could just see the top of the corner posts if you were at the diagonal opposite corner..because the ground fell away at the corners. [Lower]
As a spectator, this would be the only reason to have the barber shop poles.....oh, and for the kids to run onto the oval at fulltime and fight for the right to take one home.
Henson Park has a fairly extreme camber as well. From sitting on the first row behind the fence, you can’t see the opposite winger below his knee.

since77

Juniors
I think the combo of Dean, Ryan and Flano is the “one”

the best teams have had an amazing mix of coaches to bring success

In AFL you hear AFL coaches give more praise to their assistant coaches in press conferences

I wonder why NRL coaches don’t communicate as much how the success of their teams depends on their co coaches as much as anyone?

also the post game press conferences in NRL are still tweaked to controversy re players coming and going this or next season.

AFL post game conferences are almost 100% about the now and the game and players
Very much agree with you on the press conferences. Should be a rule that the “journalists“ can only ask questions about the game.

Please explain why some players can’t do shitty tough carries and why this is a skill? I think Lomax gets too involved & in the forwards way with shitty tough carries but I guess he takes some of their workload and as long as it doesn’t effect his game I guess it’s ok. Not being critical of your comment D&Y just interested why a Couchman or others we can promote can’t at least do this.
All players in principle can take a tough carry. It's not a skill to take one. It's more of a commitment to sacrifice yourself for the good of the team. To take a successful tough carry takes a combination of skill, physicality, and bravery. The skill involved is anything- anticipation, footwork, etc.- that allows you to not get monstered and get a decent play the ball. Last night Lomax took several early play carries where the defence was set. Warriors would commit four defenders to attempt to start the set with a dominant tackle. He does a great job of holding his own in these moments. And, even when the defence succeeds, the Warriors have two retreating defenders. So the next carry is going to be easier. We want guys like BMM taking these slightly easier carries because he can attain greater momentum.

The reason the outside backs take so many of the carries is precisely to save the energy of the middles for their main task, which is the hardest job in Rugby League: defending the ruck. A while ago someone discovered that instead of having 11 players and two wingers we could ask the wingers to join in the game and do some work. It's a smart use of resources.

Last edited:
Luke Lewis was fullsome in his praise of our three-quarters all having made 150 metres through making tough carries to relieve the burden on the forwards who could then expend that energy in defense.He claimed it was a hallmark of Flanno's coaching and, while I can't say I've noticed this before, I see the logic in it.
It's a hallmark of all NRL coaches.

TheRev

First Grade
Lomax was planting himself all the way over on the left to take extra early carries.. which leaves the forwards fresher for the defensive work later..

I dunno they say NRL is won on effort and attitude.. Im gonna miss our boy.. I do wonder if hes calmed down since last year and preseason where he sounded like a PITA....or they rly do still want him gone.. doesnt matter anyway I suppose as he has signed now.

I remember that play - don’t think the 2nd run happens without the first. Also don’t think BMM could do the shitty tough carries Lawrie does either.
Great run by BMM, don’t get me wrong (he was good off the bench again), but played 13 mins. They play completely different roles
There are several reasons why BMM is less suited to those tough carries. But for anyone who is curious have a look at his last couple of carries in the match- which aren't even particularly tough- when he is tiring and you'll get the idea. The main thing is the different roles. BMM comes on for a few minutes either side of halftime to have a few wrecking ball carries. He is big and fast and is a real handful with a head of steam. We don't want to waste his limited energy on the tough carries that he won't do better than Lawrie, the other middles, or the OBs.

And his defence took another step forward this week. He even stood chest to chest with someone in a push shove wrestle moment.
Overall, his defensive is improving. He was great positionally. Another good game.

The coaches will show him the DWZ try because he could have done better. He did really well to get across there but he pushed with hands, keeping his head and thus weight out of it, rather than hitting with the shoulder which would have made his contact on DWZ earlier and more powerful.

RedVee

First Grade
Overall, his defensive is improving. He was great positionally. Another good game.

The coaches will show him the DWZ try because he could have done better. He did really well to get across there but he pushed with hands, keeping his head and thus weight out of it, rather than hitting with the shoulder which would have made his contact on DWZ earlier and more powerful.
Or playing at the ball carrying arm as another option

since77

Juniors
My thoughts on last night's game.

First, that's the best performance since the Bennett days. A huge congrats to Flanno along with Young & Carr. That was a team to be proud of last night. It could have been a long night after the early Johnson try and the avalanche of BS six again calls.
We all have thoughts on the Lomax situation but Flanno is the first coach to unlock this guy's talent. Shows what a coach can do. And to Lomax's credit he has put in this year. Watching Parra last night I suspect he might have some regrets in a few years time. Parra are on the slide.
Forwards were immense last night - when was the last time an opposition coach described us as "fierce"?
Hunt and Kyle F combo is coming together nicely. Hunt had some good moments last night. Kyle F is just solid and consistent - a perfect foil.
JDB off the bench just works. Leave as is.
Get the 'Sua deal done soon please.
BMM coming good under competent coaching.
CT on the wing looked safe as houses and looked good.
Happy to see Suli and Rava get a try each, rewards for a lot of tough carries over the first part of the season.
Lawrie was a bit better but he sticks out like dog's balls compared to the other forwards. No way near as effective as the others in the pack. With Luc to come back, I'm picking BMM over Lawrie in my 17.
I'm guessing Flanno disagrees, but I liked that backline last night a lot better than a backline with Bird in it.
Good performance by Sloan too - he keeps giving me those Blacklock vibes when he looms up in support. That was a fantastic try he scored last night.
In Flanno I trust (except when he picks Lawrie)...

Dragon David

First Grade
I thought the ball simultaneously hit the corner of both the try line and touch line, but it was a 50/50 that didn’t go our way.

What I was more pissed at was the Lomax disallowed try for a forward pass which was line ball at worst, I’ve seen many of those let go. Game was won by then, the ref could’ve let that go considering it was Lomax’s 100th.

But overall the best all round game I’ve seen in such a long time, great team effort allround especially online defence which has been terrible in seasons past.

I‘ve had a great week and tonight will make it a great weekend. Birthday party with extended family tomorrow, all Dragons fans bar 1 Souffs fan.

Will be wearing my Dragons jumper to the camping and caravan super show on Sunday at Rosehill (Pawwa territory) with PRIDE!!!

I hope you all enjoy your weekend too.

Lets do it again next week on a very special day.
I agree with your comment Dragon Blood regarding that pass to Lomax being forward. The ref was right on the line of sight to see the pass. Had he been say a metre behind, he might have let it go.

Have a great time at the birthday party today and enjoy the camping/caravan show on Sunday and wear that Red V Jersey with utmost pride.

The game on Anzac Day will be a tough one as usual and I will give my comments on the Game Thread nearing game day.

Cheers DD

Dragon David

First Grade
Great win and performance. I wouldn’t change the team unless Leilua is back. I really like De Belin and Murdoch-Masila off the bench, they bring real physicality, intensity and second phase footy.
Yes, when the players are doing well it makes selection of the team a bit harder for Flanno. A winning team to me should not be changed no matter who might come back from injury. Some on here have said that Su'a might have copped a leg injury really late in last nights game so Luc could be his replacement and that will be a status quo for us.

Dea

Juniors
It was great being at the game last night - my first of the season. Concerned in the first 15 when Warriors scored in front of me. But Hunt and Lomax fired up in the team huddle - don’t often see this. Somehow they seemed to fix the defensive read and repeatedly closed down the attack. Forwards were impressive against a good Warriors pack and not only held their own but won the game. My next game is ANZAC Day and sitting with a Rooster mate. Can’t wait for Dragons to go 3-in-a-row!

Latest posts